rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
projectarnold

My eBook's on a free promo this weekend (if you like Horror and SciFi...)

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Nice one! The covers look great by the way, did you do them yourself?

Thanks! And yes (but with a sprinkle of "sort of" and a fairly heavy dose of "well, not really")

"Songs for White Whales" was a commission from our very own Tofu (now in self-imposed exile after being caught taking credit for someone else's work, I believe?)

"Black Orchard" is a stock image.

"Crawling Skin" is a manipulated photo.

I did, however, turn all of them into workable paperback fronts, spines and rears, though, which was an absolute trial by fire for my (previously non-existent) GIMP skills and something that I would not recommend to anyone looking for a good time!

• Upvote 1

I read the first 5 or 6 stories over the weekend and thought they were really impressive. The Chernobyl one (sorry, can't remember the name and don't have my Kindle to hand) in particular - a horrible mix of Clive Barker and Tarkovsky which was right up my street. Some great ideas in it I'd not seen explored before. 

I'll write a review when I finish up. 

• Upvote 1

Yes I’m really enjoying the Chernobyl one too, very nicely written.

I’ve noticed a typo here and there, do you want any of them PM’d? I think I highlighted one because it said ‘know’ instead of ‘now’ (could be in the Lovecraft one?) which made the sentence confusing. I’ve no idea if you can change things like that on Kindle once it’s out? 

53 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes I’m really enjoying the Chernobyl one too, very nicely written.

I’ve noticed a typo here and there, do you want any of them PM’d? I think I highlighted one because it said ‘know’ instead of ‘now’ (could be in the Lovecraft one?) which made the sentence confusing. I’ve no idea if you can change things like that on Kindle once it’s out? 

Yeah, I can change them fairly easily. Would appreciate if you could point them out by PM!

Couple of points - remember if you have Kindle Unlimited, take advantage of the OP's generosity by making sure you click the BUY button and not the Read For Free button.

Also, I considered setting up a thread for creative forumites to help each other out with things like reviews, but it got no response at all. Would there be any interest in us starting that up again?  It's hard to get your stuff noticed, especially with zero advertising budget and a million self published books appearing on Amazon every day.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for pointing that out, dumpster; Amazon's UX design once again trying to give its customer a bum deal :( Sadly, the promo is over but if I do another I'll know to call it out.

I think we're friendly enough around here that a bit of ad-hoc shilling isn't met with tar and feathers, so is a specific thread needed? Totally on-board with the sentiment, though, I now have a review! (if, indeed, "David" is a rllmuker, of course)

Thanks everyone who took the time to take a look!

I’m about three quarters through this collection and I have to congratulate you @projectarnold, it’s really quite excellent.

A mark of it’s quality must be that the stories seem to get better and better. Every time I finish one and think ‘that’s my favourite!’, the next one seems to take its place.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, three1ne said:

Just bought the physical copy of Black Orchard. Looking forward to it. 

Thanks, three1ne, hope you're as horrified and unsettled once you're done as was intended!

Still struggling for Amazon/GoodReads reviews, so feedback would be wicked come the bleak and shivering end of your read :D