rllmuk
Stevie

1917. Saving private Ryan meets World War One.

Haven't seen any talk about this

Not sure what I think about the plot, but I do love me some world war one. Release date late December 2019.

• Upvote 5

A war film about the British in WW1.

All that is certain is that unless it tells the story of the Americans saving the world..It will be completly ignored in the US market.

Apparently it's not new information, but I've only just read about how they filmed it using a number of long shots choreographed and put together to make the entire movie a single continuous shot, to give the feeling of never leaving the side of the two main characters.

• Upvote 3

I’ve been really looking forward to this, so it’s been good to see some decent reviews appearing. I’ll definitely go and see it over the Christmas holidays. Shame I can’t take my boys though, they’re both really fascinated with history and they loved the trailer.

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve been really looking forward to this, so it’s been good to see some decent reviews appearing. I’ll definitely go and see it over the Christmas holidays. Shame I can’t take my boys though, they’re both really fascinated with history and they loved the trailer.

It’s not out in the uk until January 10th. 

7 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

It’s not out in the uk until January 10th. 

Ah shit, thought it was Boxing Day.

War is fucking great isn't it? And WW1 has to be the best one. They don't call it the great war for nothing. Trenches, Mustard gas, human wave attacks all that good shit.

Wouldn't it be great to go back in a time machine to the Somme or Verdun for a few weeks. Back when men were men. All the countries should just agree to have an old-school world war. Would be a right laugh.

• Upvote 1

I love the idea of accidentally taking a step off a duckboard in the dark and literally drowning in the mud.

• Upvote 1

On 27/11/2019 at 00:07, Raoull duke said:

They don't call it the great war for nothing.

The sad thing is that there has yet to be a movie that do the war any justice. During an artillery barrage, thousands of artillery pieces would fire and the result was something named drumfire.

The true horrors of WW1 has yet to be accurately depicted in movies.  

• Upvote 1

On 14/12/2019 at 15:30, Stevie said:

The sad thing is that there has yet to be a movie that do the war any justice. During an artillery barrage, thousands of artillery pieces would fire and the result was something named drumfire.

The true horrors of WW1 has yet to be accurately depicted in movies.  

This would make for an incredible VR experience. The only way I think you could possibly convey it passively.

• Upvote 1

Just back from seeing this.

It destroyed me. The last 10 minutes had me physically shaking and the final 20 seconds turned me from a weepy man to a full on bawling baby!!

I had to sit until the end of the credits before I could compose myself, get up and leave.

It was just incredible.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

On 01/12/2019 at 12:23, lolly said:

I love the idea of accidentally taking a step off a duckboard in the dark and literally drowning in the mud.

Slowly drowning. Over a matter of hours.

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Just back from seeing this.

It destroyed me. The last 10 minutes had me physically shaking and the final 20 seconds turned me from a weepy man to a full on bawling baby!!

I had to sit until the end of the credits before I could compose myself, get up and leave.

It was just incredible.

Don't disagree with this. I was expecting it to be a bit more 'Hacksaw Ridge' based on the trailer, with just endless action, but this had a totally different feel. Looks as amazing as you'd expect in IMAX.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Is it grim?

Not in the traditional action film sense. There's some slow pans over corpses and small nasty injury stuff but no bodies flying through the air missing limbs and Wilhelm screams everywhere. 

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

Wilhelm screams everywhere. 

Sold! :lol:

Took my wife to see this today, and we both thought it was fantastic: a completely transportive cinema experience. At one point, the audience was so silent you could hear a pin drop. It doesn't lapse into jingoism or ladle on the sentiment towards the end, as I feared it might. And, well, just give Deakins the Oscar now. 

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with the above.  I went to see it yesterday and it is a stupendously moving WW1 War film , which really does need to be seen on the biggest possible screen.

Just now, Waggo said:

Totally agree with the above.  I went to see it yesterday and it is a stupendously moving WW1 War film , which really does need to be seen on the biggest possible screen.

Yep, meant to say this, it's worth making the effort to see on the big screen if you can. Tempted to go and see it again in IMAX. 

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Wilhelm screams everywhere. 

Kaiser Wilhelm screams? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Kaiser Wilhelm screams? 

too soon...

• Upvote 1