Name that joystick

Anne Summers

Trying to remember the name of the first joystick I had for my Amiga.

I used it right through my Amiga days, as it came with my A500 and lasted until the computer died.

It had a clear, "crystal" body (pretty sure the model name had "Crystal" in it). It had a red pistol-grip stick, and two buttons on the top/front of the base, both red and shaped like Rennie tablets (square with a circular indent). 

I think it was a very popular joystick model so I am sure someone will remember. I would quite like to try and track one down for my modest little collection of personally-significant retro hardware.   

Bonus link as a thank-you for clicking on this thread - Joy of Sticks feature from the November '88 Your Sinclair, which featuring a load of sticks of the era, but not my one:  http://live.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek/magazines/your-sinclair/35#40

Despite getting a lot of stick at the time for being shite to hold, years later I got a Konix Speedking and it was bloody perfect. Way better than the defacto standard Quickshot 2/2 Pro that everyone seemed to have (me included).

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

I have one for the PC, it's fantastic - sadly a 15 pin connector and not USB.  I put the left hand around the front, with the cable between the middle fingers, and the forefingers on the fire button, and it's brilliant.  

What about this?

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

Never understood why the Competition Pro 5000 was so popular, it was the stiffest, most difficult to move thing ever.  Horrible. 

That’s because you had to break it in. The rubber neck of the stick shaft was necessarily stiff to allow for wear. Once you’d played with it for a while it would conform to your play style grip.

Imo, it’s easily the best joystick of the 16bit era and fully deserving of that status.

Does anyone remember the one that you held in one hand that had a trigger and then you had a little joystick on top you operated with the other hand.  Think it was blue and black.  Way ahead of its time.

I think my favorite one was similar to the ops but had round buttons and a round stick.  I was also a fan of the Quickshot or quickjoy pro, I think it was called something like that.

2 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Does anyone remember the one that you held in one hand that had a trigger and then you had a little joystick on top you operated with the other hand.  Think it was blue and black.  Way ahead of its time.

Konix Speedking

Spoiler

image.png.96a82749df554ff00afe9542d8ce4af8.png

Konix Navigator

Spoiler

image.png.15d74386a81183b819c3ceb700e7d249.png

This should be moved and turned into a joystick nostalgia thread :)

I was unbeatable on Sensible Soccer using the ridiculous Quickshot Maverick. I used it in a weird cackhanded way too with my right hand on the stick and my left curled around the front to press the buttons. No idea why but it worked for me. (quick Google found the MegaDrive version)

s-l400.jpg.018d63d3020db46ccb51cf0cb5d3624a.jpg

Anyone else have one of these?

the-bug-and-1200-c.jpg

Cheetah Bug (image linked from here 

Unlike the author of that blog I wasn't that impressed. Amiga Format raved about it, but I found it very loose and hard to use with precision. I went back to using my Crystal Turbo and this became player 2's stick. 

The Ram Delta was my original "player 2" stick with my Amiga - actually carried across from my Spectrum, as I bought it to replace the crappy pack-in grey stick that came with the +2.

I actually remember choosing this in the shop, based purely on the way it looked, as it was before I was savvy enough to do things like checking reviews before I bought computer stuff. Looking at it now, it just looks stupid. It doesn't get mentioned a lot these days as the Competition Pros, Quickshots and Speedkings are the joysticks of the era that seem to get the most love but it was pretty popular at the time I seem to remember.   

IMG_7975__71223.1505417029.1280.1280.JPG

On 03/09/2019 at 09:56, dumpster said:

Never understood why the Competition Pro 5000 was so popular, it was the stiffest, most difficult to move thing ever.  Horrible. 

The one I had was flimsy as anything. Like the buttons felt like they were about to fall off after a hectic game of Goal.

That was always reserved for Player 3.

player 1 (my brother) used the black one with square yellow buttons and player 2 (me) used the green and pink one, both in SeanR’a post. Our neighbour used to bring his own controller, one of the black and red trigger ones, but we weren’t ever allowed to try it.

I had the green and pink powerplay cruiser but if I recall correctly it was broken somehow ( the stick didn’t always respond) so I think that was the time when I got a zipstik. The first one I had was black and yellow but I also had a light gray/blue and pink one.