IGNORED

Homeworld 3

Wiper

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3?utm_campaign=homeworld3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=fig-newsletter

Icky things first: this is, as you may have gathered, going on a crowd-funding run. Despite being already with publisher, namely *spit* Gearbox, who do after all own the Homeworld IP. And despite officially not needing the funding (hence its, er, $1 target). Leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth.

Less icky things: It's a new Homeworld game! it's being developed by the team that made the rather lovely Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. It's a NEW Homeworld game! The music and art style appear to be on point.* It's a new HOMEWORLD game! Randy Pitchford isn't mentioned even once in its description. IT'S A NEW HOMEWORLD GAME!

On balance, I'm pretty excited. There hasn't been a bad Homeworld game yet, and it's been more than long enough since we had a new, good, true-3D space-based RTS, so it's not as if this is settling into an over-saturated gamespace. And while there have been some disappointing crowdfunded reboots, we've had some fucking great examples too, so I have some hope!

*despite the distressing lack of Adagio for Strings, nor indeed the involvement of, er, Yes. Okay, perhaps it's sometimes a good thing not to hew too closely to the original

• 2 years later...

New trailer drop!

:omg:

Special note to whoever did the music. Gave me chills.

Looks like they've pushed the heavily faceted design aesthetic even more than the previous games, though I still see a lot of greebly details in the close-ups, so it'll be interesting to see what the recommended spec comes out as, though I cant see it being that different from their last release unless there is a lot more lighting/particle/physics stuff going on.

Also sounds from the steam page that this is set a LONG time after 2, so I'm hoping they address Karans agelessness a bit more, since they never explained it much other than 'that's what happens when you plug someone into a hyperdrive core'.

I never day-1 stuff anymore but I'll be day-1'ing this unless it gets some REALLY bad reviews, which is surely pretty unlikely.

Yeah I dont think theyre looking to do anything drastically different gameplaywise, rather refining the existing model. Looks like the main difference theyre playing up is the megalith/terrain system, which should be interesting. I wouldnt mind seeing some slightly more detailed unit functions being iterated on though, like when people figured out in hw1 they could use support frigates as makeshift strike carriers, one of the things that got made redundant in the gearbox remake. Still, fairly sure I recall fuel being back in on this one, and proper ballistics too, so hopefully they looked at some of the stuff that got fumbled in that and addressed it.

Nope, this one's by Blackbird Interactive, who were formed by ex-Relic (and ex-Homeworld dev team) staff back in 2007, and made the excellent Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak in 2016, so I'm pretty hopeful about their chances of making a worthwhile sequel.

I'm also glad to see the latest trailer addressed one of my key issues with the game initial announcement:

On 30/08/2019 at 22:55, Wiper said:

the distressing lack of Adagio for Strings

Now they just have to throw Gearbox in the bin and I'll be utterly delighted!

24 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Nope, this one's by Blackbird Interactive, who were formed by ex-Relic (and ex-Homeworld dev team) staff back in 2007, and made the excellent Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak in 2016, so I'm pretty hopeful about their chances of making a worthwhile sequel.

Ahh, ok. Should be good then :)

21 hours ago, Wiper said:

Now they just have to throw Gearbox in the bin and I'll be utterly delighted!

I vaguely recall something about Randy "magic trick" Pitchfork buying the Homeworld ip back when THQ was being auctioned off. If that's the case, they can't ditch Gearbox.