Rate the last film you watched out of 5

37 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed this. A bit heavy handed with the old subtext, but it's just so much fun, it doesn't matter.

Silly question, but The Shining is a five in anyone's book, surely. What make you dock the half a point?

Purely because I don't think it's quite worthy of full marks - I bloody love it, hence the high score but it's not quite up there with my absolute all time favourites!

On 15/11/2020 at 00:57, Bazjam said:

The Thin Red Line 5/5

Absolutely superb. No idea why I’ve waited so long to watch this. I’ve only seen three Malick films, but this is by a long way my favourite. Straight away up there with my favourite all time war films. Think I’ll watch The New World next.

When I watched this I felt the same, I coudn't understand why it didn't have the kind of reputation that other war films have as it's clearly one of the best, a must watch.

Totally agreed. The whole thing is superb, but the scene where Nolte is trying to get Koteas to send his men in for a suicidal push really sticks with me. The stuff that's going on between both actors physically and in dialogue delivery is phenomenal, especially from Nolte.

The Nice Guys

Why oh why couldn't we have had a whole series of films following the adventures of Jack Healy and Holland March? Some career best work here from Ryan Gosling, I could happily watch this every 6 months and not get bored of it.

Yeah, the actual mystery they are solving is confusing and not particularly thrilling but when it's wrapped up in that Shane Black package? Amazing.

4/5

Couple of MUBI essentials I caught over the weekend:

Full Moon in Paris - 5/5

Yet another perfect Eric Rohmer flick, the peerlessly filmed lives and loves of chattering Parisians in the halcyon days when there was either a Renault 4 or Simca 1100 on every corner. This stuff is catnip for me.

Beautiful New Bay Area Project - 4/5

An amusing Japanese curio of only 29 minutes, and if you think you’d like it if the fight scenes in The Raid were more like the fight scene in They Live, then this is for you. No point explaining it, it’s just great.

Coming Home (1978)

Hal Ashby's film about the aftermath of the Vietnam war, and the physical - and mental - effects it had on the soldiers. It's a beautiful love story, tinged with the very real, devastating effects of war. 4/5

The Terminator - 5/5.

Stone cold classic.

Finally watched the deleted scenes and thank fuck they removed the one where Kyle Reece pulls a gun on Sarah after they have a lovers tiff then Kyle starts bubbling about grass. 

Never Rarely Sometimes Always

This feels like an important film, both for the subject matter and the way in which it’s presented. It couldn’t really be described as entertainment, but it definitely held my attention. However, I find the depiction of every single man in the film as predatory and/or aggressive disappointingly unnecessary, so it loses a bit for that. Generally, the sort of shit that should be shown in schools.

4/5

On 15/11/2020 at 16:51, neoELITE said:

Calm With Horses - Netflix

Bleak and with little redemption but I was engrossed. A fabulous, believable cast. 3/5

Cosmo Jarvis was absolutely sensational in this.  All of the cast were, actually.  Very bleak but extremely good, I'd give it a 4/5 because I like a miserable film.

The Gentlemen - loved this.  Superb performances from an excellent cast saved it from its paper thin story.  Another 4/5

Parasite - Beautifully shot and acted but a bit more ham fisted than I'd expected.  A third solid 4/5 in as many films.

Pretty good going.  I'm bound to spoil this good run with something shit soon.

Privates On Parade (1983)

A bizarre mixture of camp musical comedy and wartime drama. Difficult to pin down, just when you think you have a handle on this post-war drama it shifts, sometimes mid-way through a dance routine. Sexuality shifts about in a similar way to the tone. You're never quite sure who feels what, then the real business of war kicks in and everything is up for grabs. I believe this was an adaptation of a stage play, but obviously I cannot compare it with that. I'm still confused as to what I've just seen, will need to see that again at some point.

2.5/5

In the Heart of the Sea

A decent yarn, with a mixture of MCU and GOT stars making up a fair proportion of the cast. Not surprisingly it was a flop, not sure who thought it would ever recoup a $100 million budget because it’s far too niche and it takes more than casting Thor to ensure a healthy BO return. 

It was just my sort of thing however and it’s excellently bookended by a great set of performances from Wishaw and Gleeson. 

4/5

Les Miserables 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10199590/

French police drama about a noob cop joining a street-tough squad as they patrol a rough area of Paris. On his first day on the job the new guy sees that some of the tactics and techniques used by the veteran cops might be causing more problems then they solve.

As the squad patrol, a stolen lion cub sparks a potential riot between gypsies from the local circus and the mostly black community. An accidental act of violence that gets caught on camera by a local kid flying a drone adds to the tension.

This got really strong reviews when it came out with some comparing it to La Haine. I was really looking forward to it but I found it a little disappointing. The acting and photography was top class but it all felt a little plodding and aimless - the last 15 minutes are proper exciting but everything before that was kind of hard work. 

3/5

Blood Vessel (2020) Shudder

Sometimes a good genre film makes up for a lack of originality with quality, and that's the case here. It's World War II and some survivors from a shipwreck come across a seemingly abandoned German ship, and end up fighting for their lives with what they find. It doesn't try to be more than it is, sticks to what it does best. Treads familiar ground and gets a tad silly towards the end but this is a quality production, entertaining, tense and gory in the right places.

3.5/5

The World's End

3rd entry in the "Cornetto  Thrilogy". Pegg, Frost and the usual ensemble mess around , fuck things up and generally have a bit of a jolly in the 3rd genre of the trilogy, Alien invasion.  It's a reflection on the process of getting older and the lives we lead in our forties as well as the nostalgia for our youth.

Personally I didn't like it , thought it was too light to have real impact in any regard, as the mild  meditation on aging or as a  knockabout comedy/action alien invasion movie.the characters were a lot weaker than in either Shaun of the dead or Hot Fuzz and subsequently  I gave less of a shit about them.

There are a few laughs  but quite liberally sprinkled , the middle 3rd is probably the best section of the movie and I was glad when it ended TBH.

2/5

Perrier’s Bounty 

With a stellar cast including Cillian Murphy, Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson, Jodie Whittaker, Liam Cunningham, Domnhall Gleeson and Gabriel Byrne this is a pretty crap Irish gangster caper. Still, I really had fun with it, it was much better than I was expecting considering no one has ever heard of it. 

3/5

Anyone seen Boss Level yet? Frank Grillo relives the same day over and over, getting killed by assassins for some reason.

A bit Edge of Tomorrow meets Smokin Aces (which makes sense since Joe Carnaharn directed it)

On 24/11/2020 at 06:59, Goose said:

Anyone seen Boss Level yet? Frank Grillo relives the same day over and over, getting killed by assassins for some reason.

A bit Edge of Tomorrow meets Smokin Aces (which makes sense since Joe Carnaharn directed it)

Yes and it's really good fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Like Edge of Tomorrow, it plays out each repeat just differently enough in a way that keeps it interesting and fun. It is essentially Groundhog day as an action film, which you could say about Edge of Tomorrow, but this shares more than one similarity with the former in some of the plot beats, if only very minor.

Although there is some very iffy CGI, the action is well shot and choreographed and the movie whips along. The plot is paper thin and only serves to put Roy (Frank) in that situation, which is fine as the enjoyment comes from watching Roy's journey (over and over) and not a particularly clever plot. There are a couple of plot holes, as always with films like this, but it didn't spoil the enjoyment. I laughed out loud a couple of times.

Gibson is great if a little wasted in the role. I know he's a horrible shit but I still love him. Given his action movie chops I would have enjoyed to see him do more given the background of his character, but we only get a glimpse. He's more the cool/suave kingpin character in this.

Spoiler

He, like Roy, is military trained and they have a very brief fist fight but it's over too quickly. Gibson is an old man I get that, but it would have been good to see the fight last a bit longer. Show the old dog still has some fight in him. Even at his age I expect it from Gibson otherwise put someone else in the role if it's just a villain behind a desk.

I'm not overly familiar with Grillo outside of the Marvel films, but he's a decent leading man, charismatic and funny. I will check out more of his output. Perhaps not Jiu Jitsu :P

I've got to give it a 4/5.

On 24/11/2020 at 06:59, Goose said:

I really enjoyed it. I'll admit i chuckled at pretty much all of his deaths which border on cartoonish, but they are still well handled by Carnahan, who i rate as a director. 

I could pick it apart, but Tempy has already done that. Its throwaway fun, end of.

3/5

On 16/11/2020 at 15:10, ImmaculateClump said:

<The Platform>

Oh yeah, I really enjoyed this. A bit heavy handed with the old subtext, 

Its not even "heavy handed", there's a bit where the protagonist says "if we only took what we needed, there would be enough for everyone" and his cell mate just looks at him and says "what are you, a communist?". I seem to remember it happening a couple of times like that. Great film, though.  Really great. 

On 23/11/2020 at 07:23, lolly said:

The World's End

3rd entry in the "Cornetto  Thrilogy". Pegg, Frost and the usual ensemble mess around , fuck things up and generally have a bit of a jolly in the 3rd genre of the trilogy, Alien invasion.  It's a reflection on the process of getting older and the lives we lead in our forties as well as the nostalgia for our youth.

Personally I didn't like it , thought it was too light to have real impact in any regard, as the mild  meditation on aging or as a  knockabout comedy/action alien invasion movie.the characters were a lot weaker than in either Shaun of the dead or Hot Fuzz and subsequently  I gave less of a shit about them.

There are a few laughs  but quite liberally sprinkled , the middle 3rd is probably the best section of the movie and I was glad when it ended TBH.

2/5

I kinda liked World's End. The thing I think it does better than any other film I've seen is to stick a pin in all those "cool man child slacker" films. Its not just that "normal people" think that Pegg's character is an arsehole for having never grown up - and its pointed out he was a bit of an arsehole to begin with - but also that he's realised he's a complete arsehole as well. Slightly ruined the point with the ending, like,  but still.

Mute. 

This was quite well done, with good performances and a nice Cyberpunk setting but ultimately I just didn't enjoy it very much. 

It's dressed up as a smart techno thriller but really it's just a simple revenge film. It felt really sleazy and I don't know why the pedo sub plot was necessary. 

3/5

JoJo Rabbit. 

I loved this. Genuinely funny but also poignant and actually quite subtle in places. Probably my favourite film I've seen this year. 

5/5

The Nightingale - 4/5

Very very had to watch at a couple of moments in particular (if you have seen it you know what) but its a beautifully shot film with a stunning performance from the lead. 

I was engrossed from beginning to end. 

12 hours ago, Tempy said:

Yes and it's really good fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Like Edge of Tomorrow, it plays out each repeat just differently enough in a way that keeps it interesting and fun. It is essentially Groundhog day as an action film, which you could say about Edge of Tomorrow, but this shares more than one similarity with the former in some of the plot beats, if only very minor.

Although there is some very iffy CGI, the action is well shot and choreographed and the movie whips along. The plot is paper thin and only serves to put Roy (Frank) in that situation, which is fine as the enjoyment comes from watching Roy's journey (over and over) and not a particularly clever plot. There are a couple of plot holes, as always with films like this, but it didn't spoil the enjoyment. I laughed out loud a couple of times.

Gibson is great if a little wasted in the role. I know he's a horrible shit but I still love him. Given his action movie chops I would have enjoyed to see him do more given the background of his character, but we only get a glimpse. He's more the cool/suave kingpin character in this.

Hide contents

He, like Roy, is military trained and they have a very brief fist fight but it's over too quickly. Gibson is an old man I get that, but it would have been good to see the fight last a bit longer. Show the old dog still has some fight in him. Even at his age I expect it from Gibson otherwise put someone else in the role if it's just a villain behind a desk.

I'm not overly familiar with Grillo outside of the Marvel films, but he's a decent leading man, charismatic and funny. I will check out more of his output. Perhaps not Jiu Jitsu :P

I've got to give it a 4/5.

Thanks I enjoyed this. Not sure about the ending though.

If you want more Frank Grillo B-movie badassery check out The Purge - Anarchy. You dont need to have seen any of the other Purge films. I saw it recommended on here and really liked it.

I know what you mean...

Spoiler

It ended so suddenly I was a little disappointed. It’s open ended so you can obviously choose your own ending but part of me was kind of expecting him to die. He saved his wife and his son, grew as a person and sometimes it’s good when a movie goes against expectation. However, I’m also a soppy shit so wanted him to be with his family.

Still enjoyed it though.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out.