Rate the last film you watched out of 5

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Oldboy

Thanos 'stars' in a pretty unlikeable film that is simply packed with people you could never warm to fighting each other.  Unsubtle, and by the end, I wasn't fussed about what happened.  Avoid

2/5

Please tell me you have seen the original? 

6 hours ago, Boothjan said:

No, I haven't - I am aware the original is a Korean masterpiece but I couldn't find it anywhere!

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/oldboy-2003

Best £0.99 you'll ever spend!

Graveyard of Honour (2002) 4.5/5 

Absolutely brilliant rumination on the Yakuza life, what starts as a messy gangster flick turns into this elaborate mood piece, just marvelous.  One of Miike's finest films and only £.099 to rent on Amazon.

Snowpiercer

Tilda Swinton channeling a cross between Margaret Thatcher and Hilda Ogden steals the show but this surreal, brutal train ride of a movie has a lot more going for it despite a draggy last 20 minutes.

4/5

Hard Target (1993)

The best Van Damme movie ever made.  Lance Henriksen acts like he's on fire and then literally acts while on fire.  Arnold Vosloo is terrifyingly ice cold as Pik, as long as he doesn't say your name three times.  John Woo brings the excess.  The film in microcosm is that Van Damme punches a snake, but is outshone by Henriksen blowing it away in slow mo simply because he's annoyed.  Objectively you can pick holes in it all day long (Er, just why does Wilford Brimley live in a house that is permanently rigged to explode?) but subjectively it's a brilliant action movie.

3/5

Rambo III (1988)

Probably the pinnacle of 80s movie excess.  Cartoon level ultraviolence, more stereotypes than you can shake a stick at, little dialogue beyond speeches and exposition and above all, tremendously humourless.  Plus point: features the Most Awesome Looking Helicopter in the world.  Things go boom! a lot, and occasionally spectacularly but it is all just empty calories.

2 awkwardly changed end dedications out of 5

Scanners.

Considering this was known as “the exploding heads movie” at school there ain’t many heads exploding. It’s a first rate bit of early Cronenburg and has a great feel to it. It also looks absolutely stunning on a standard blu ray. 

4.5/5.

Equilibrium 

Another fantastic performance from Bale. This is a first rate mid budget sci fi film with a real heart. It’s wholly unoriginal but steals from the best and mixes them up with aplomb. Great fun, only let down slightly poor actors playing the antagonists. 

4/5.

Veronica

I really liked this Spanish horror movie. An excellent sense of impending dread in a suburban setting that felt very real. 

4/5.

Stoneheart Asylum 

Theres a good film here somewhere. What we are left with is daft but still a decentish watch. I thought it was going to be a ghost story and it’s something else entirely. Caine and Kingsley are their usual effortless brilliance. 

2.5/5

Bug,

I have saved the best for last. Judd and Shannon give career best performances in this major return to form for Friedkin.

The prime version has foreign subtitles which is rather weird but this mini masterpiece is well worth seeking out. You are best of going in blind. Interestingly Judd and Connick Jnr (who is also brilliant) would reunite for A Dolphins Tale which is about as different from this film as it’s possible to get. 

5/5

The Crow (1994)

Never gets old and aged very well.  Absolute lightning in a bottle in terms of everything coming together for a lot of people at the right time.  Easy to forget that it is a comic / superhero movie (though a love story at heart) and to be honest, the thought and intelligence put into every aspect puts current CGI fests to absolute shame.

5/5

Possessor (2020)

Brandon Cronenberg's second feature after 2012's Antiviral.

A hard sci-fi/psychological horror set in a  dystopian future in which corporate assassinations are conducted not by drone or traditional hitman but by a company that employs assassins who are hooked, via an implant, into the brain of a host body who has access to the target. We see one hit, meet the assassin Tasya (played by the exceptional Andrea Riseborough), and are given some small clues that she may no longer be on top of her game despite passing the post job psych test.

Her next host is a man who is dating the daughter of the target - a wealthy, and exceptionally awful, man who's company hires the host to perform real time remote spying into peoples homes simply to mine mundane date about their curtains,  etc. I don't want to go too deep into the plot but on the assignment Tasya loses control of her host and things quickly begin to go awry. This plays out in the film as a pretty astonishing exploration of identity, the effects of violence, ethics, privacy, and more - it is a very serious, multi-layered work which can be taken and read in a fair few ways. Be advised that this is an extremely graphic film with Fulci levels of  close up nastiness but, even so,  none of the violence feels gratuitous - the visceral effect on those undertaking the killings does need to be felt by the audience in order to help us understand the damgae it is doing to their minds.

Genre films of this quality are very rare indeed and I can't recommend this enough - it is far and away the best film I've seen this year. It has got to be a little tough for a director to make films whilst perhaps being in the shadow of his father's formidable reputation, more so as this is very much in the Cronenberg Snr genre of body and tech horror but this is an incredibly accomplished movie in every way and really makes me hope that we don't have to wait eight years for his next.

Sean Bean is in it.

4.5/5

On 13/10/2020 at 19:57, Minion said:

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/oldboy-2003

Best £0.99 you'll ever spend!

Graveyard of Honour (2002) 4.5/5 

Absolutely brilliant rumination on the Yakuza life, what starts as a messy gangster flick turns into this elaborate mood piece, just marvelous.  One of Miike's finest films and only £.099 to rent on Amazon.

Watched Graveyard Of Honour on the back of your recommendation. Despite being a Miike fan, I hadn't heard of this one (he really is the gift that keeps giving). Brilliant film. As often with his films, I had no idea where it was going, which is always an exciting prospect, and the downward spiral of violence and hopelessness didn't disappoint.

4/5

The Acid House (1998)

Post-Trainspotting adaptation by the author himself of three short stories from Irvine Welsh's The Acid House, apparently inspired by a bad acid trip. It doesn't get more 1998 than this: Belle & Sebastian, Nick Cave and Arab Strap on the soundtrack; wonky-lensed hedonism; a character drinking a bottle of Hooper's Hooch. It's fair to say it's all very anchored in the time, it did feel dated. The final story, The Acid House, about a loud-mouth football fan whose soul gets transferred to a baby when he gets hit by lightning on a bad acid trip, is the best one. It's gleefully messed-up. In fact the whole film is, although the second story, Soft Touch, is more serious in tone. Inevitable comparisons to Trainspotting, it feels like some attempt was made to recreate the druggy 90s vibe in places but it generally feels more like a TV drama. Not sure how anyone under 30 would relate to this but I enjoyed it.

3/5

21 Bridges

It has good energy and forward momentum from the basic premise (the perps have to be caught within a few hours) but the conspiracy aspect is signposted all too obviously. I found the score intrusive too; a superhero level of bombast in what should have been a more tense and thrilling ride.

2.5/5

Warrior 4/5

You know what’s going to happen almost from the start but it’s a great emotional journey. Incredible performances from Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte. Very well choreographed fights and I blub every time. 

We Still Kill The Old Way (2014)

Low-budget Brit-crime, guv! The guv here being Ian Ogilvy as an old gangster going back to the UK when his brother is murdered by a gang of youngsters. it's yer old Laaandan gangsters vs a group of new cliches in a wry revenge tale. Our old guys are revered as proper, the young guys are all useless and ruthless. Stop trying to get to the heart of this, just enjoy it as a bit of b-movie fluff with a gang of old guys armed with all the old cliches setting things right. It's a bit ropey but entertaining ropey, satisfying ropey.

3/5

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

21 Bridges

It has good energy and forward momentum from the basic premise (the perps have to be caught within a few hours) but the conspiracy aspect is signposted all too obviously. I found the score intrusive too; a superhero level of bombast in what should have been a more tense and thrilling ride.

2.5/5

I agree, I enjoyed it while watching it but it’s very forgettable.  I’ve seen a few people say it’s a modern take on a 70s conspiracy thriller and I hate that take, it’s such a surface level read of those films and that era.  It’s like those people who call The Winter Solider as 70s style political conspiracy thriller, have you seen any of these films, Robert Redford and a conspiracy isn’t enough at that point it’s just a pastiche.  They’re very establishment takes on an antiestablishment genre, it’s the type of film made by people who thought the ending of the French Connection could be improved.

11 hours ago, El Geet said:

Warrior 4/5

You know what’s going to happen almost from the start but it’s a great emotional journey. Incredible performances from Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte. Very well choreographed fights and I blub every time. 

I love this film, it’s way better than it has any right to be.

On 13/10/2020 at 19:57, Minion said:

that’s an incredibly useful site!

Max Richter’s Sleep - 4.5/5

A documentary film following performances of Max Richter’s 8 hour long music piece entitled Sleep, where the audience are supplied with beds and invited to sleep if they wish. The film cuts between the concerts, and interviews with Max and his wife talking about the struggles they faced to create their art.

Admittedly, not for everyone. But I’m a huge fan of Richter having discovered his music through his incredible score for The Leftovers. Found this both beautiful and hypnotic. 

2 minutes ago, Marlew said:

OK, you've got to tell us more...

1970s Japanese martial arts epic. Having said that, it only comes in at 1hr 25m, but it's packed with action. Worth it for the Sister Street Fighter of the title, Etsuko Shihomi. She's great. I got a Sister Street Fighter collection on blu-ray, so have three sequels to watch!!