rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

The Lost Boys - 3/5

Got this from CEX a couple of days ago as I've intended to watch this for quite a while. Much effort seems to have gone into the look and feel of the film, the music is over the top cool and the makeup very impressive. Sometimes it has average teen comedy and the menace towards the end just became silly, while some of the actors eventually get on your nerves but overall its a fun watch.

• Downvote 1

Shadow 4/5

As with all of Zhang Yimou’s films it’s stunning to look at, shot entirely in different shades of grey. Not quite up there with the likes of Hero and House Of Flying Daggers, but certainly a return to form.

12 hours ago, glb said:

If we’re talking the same scene, was totally fine with it. Maybe expectations were set for something nastier but wasn’t remotely shocked at all in the film compared to Brawl

It totally freaked me out. So utterly, brutally animalistic, and horribly well done. Brawl was just latex comedy time in comparison.

Adaptation. - 4.5/5

In the current Rllmuk films of the 21st century poll, I was intending to vote for this as my favourite of 2002. But I'd only seen it once, the best part of 15 years ago, and my memories of it were very vague, so I wanted to rewatch it to confirm if it still holds that spot.

I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't hold up. In the years since I first saw it I've seen more films telling metafictional interconnected-stories-about-stories (e.g. A Cock and Bull Story, Cloud Atlas, The Fountain, Charlie Kaufman's later Synecdoche, New York, and Meryl Streep's other 2002 film The Hours). So I was worried that the layers of self-referentiality that had impressed me so much the first time wouldn't seem anywhere near as clever today... maybe even irritating and self-indulgent?

Maybe it's lost a bit (I think Being John Malkovich is still my favourite), but generally I needn't have worried! It's still a great film. :wub: Nicolas Cage's dual roles are still probably my favourite performance of his, Brian Cox is great in his brief appearance as screenwriting guru Robert McKee. And it's still great fun watching

Spoiler

the narrative transition from a Charlie movie to a Donald movie.

I liked the way that The 3, Donald Kaufman's cliché-packed screenplay-within-the-movie, bears a strong resemblance to Split, which I watched a couple of weeks ago!

Also:

• Upvote 2

Rambo: Last Blood. 

This isn't so much a Rambo film as a Taken meets a horror film where the slasher is supposed to be the good guy. Home Alone with Jason from the Friday the 13th films instead of Kevin McAllister. It's really fucked up. The first hour is hokey as fuck, the story is there just to set up the big action sequence at the end, but the last half hour is at least entertainingly gruesome. And as over the top as the fatalities in Mortal Kombat 11. 

2/5 but I can't deny being entertained for the last section. 

On 15/09/2019 at 23:43, SeanR said:

Rocky 5/5

Rocky 2 5/5

Came in here to say just this. Gotta love the guy even if you cant stand boxing. Had a tear in my eye during events in the second one.

Paulie, though. I forgot how mean he got in the first movie.

Aquaman - scrapes a 4, decent film but I felt like the lead was a low rent Thor, the jokes not quite as funny and the action not quite as good but them I’m reminded of you take away Ragnarok Thor’s own films range from ok to garbage...

16 hours ago, jonamok said:

It totally freaked me out. So utterly, brutally animalistic, and horribly well done. Brawl was just latex comedy time in comparison.

Agree it’s much less cartoonish than Brawl’s last half hour. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nasty af, but found it much more tonally in-step with the context, which is why I think I didn’t think so much of it. 

Expected some punching in Brawl, but guess with Vaughn’s mixed CV of mainly comedies, wasn’t expecting him to be quite such a one-man wrecking crew.

The arm breaks made me gasp... the facial degloving too. Matey’s head being stomped off was just a bit WTF?!

On 20/09/2019 at 06:34, TheFixx said:

The Lost Boys - 3/5

Got this from CEX a couple of days ago as I've intended to watch this for quite a while. Much effort seems to have gone into the look and feel of the film, the music is over the top cool and the makeup very impressive. Sometimes it has average teen comedy and the menace towards the end just became silly, while some of the actors eventually get on your nerves but overall its a fun watch.

Well hey, if you like The Lost Boys...

http://www.80fromthe80s.com/2015/03/the-lost-boys.html

Avengers: Infinity War

Easily the best MCU film ever made (which may be damning with faint praise in some ways). Very little fat and even a reasonable final battle sequence for once in the series. Worst bit was the stupid Peter Quill ruining it for everybody, but as it's a 2-parter and they had to leave room for the next one, would have been too good to win at that point in time (even if I wanted to punch him for doing that) and oh so conveniently for the storyline. And WTF at the Red Skull making an appearance as a concierge.

MCU/5

Spoiler

4.25/5 (the IMDb score is pretty accurate)

King Arthur (2017)

This was MUCH better than I was expecting. Turns out cocknee geezer goes rather well with olde England knights and kings 

Christ knows what the Beckham cameo was all about 

Seems that the definitive movie version of King Arthur has yet to be made, but this is reasonably close 

3.5/5

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Went in sceptical. Absolutely loved every bloody minute. Malek’s performance was, frankly, amazing. Brian May was wonderful. The recreation of Queen’s set at Live Aid - for someone plenty old enough to remember watching their performance on TV at the time - was just mesmerising and genuinely uplifting.

I could care less that it avoided a lot of the darker stuff. Whether hyperfactual or not, it was effortlessly entertaining, and did Freddy the performer proud.

The only (admittedly significant) sour note is that a fair bit of it is Singer’s, though much of what we see and hear is Dexter Fletcher and editor John Ottman’s work/rework. Either way, judging the film on its own merits... a resounding 5/5.