Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Badlands 5/5

Trying to go through Malick I've not seen, and this was just sensational.

BlacKkKlansman 4/5

John David Washington is great, and I love Adam Driver in anything.

Outlaw King 2/5

Been on my Netflix list for ages, ended up skipping a lot of it.

Feels Good Man

S'alright. Some empty vessel stoner type watches in despair as a character he made gets co-opted by sad angry types on the internet.
Canny interesting as I'm old and out of touch and I'd seen his froggy face here and there and it was nice making a sort of sense out of it all.

The World's End

Weirdly I've never seen the final part of the "Cornetto Trilogy" and now, after watching it, I can't understand why.

I loved it!! Funny, action packed, poignant at times. Cast were all terrific and the time just flew by.

Makes me want to go back and watch SotD and Hot Fuzz again.

4 blanks / 5.

Robin's Wish

Annoying mournful piano music that never threatens to ever feel subtle or respectful of the subject or the viewer.
Feels a tad like rubbernecking at times.

It's not a nice thing to say, but his widow gets a tad too much time in the spotlight, never comes across as entirely genuine, and does an admirable job of trying and failing to squeeze out a tear at one point. I'd have liked to hear more from the other people around him.
For all it's flaws, it paints a sobering, upsetting picture of a man feeling himself fizzle out while the people close to him are unable to help.

Synecdoche, New York 5/5

watched this after really loving I’m Thinking Of Ending Things. Always been put off giving it a go in the past, as people say how it’s impenetrable of difficult to understand. I didn’t find that at all. It’s certainly complex and has many layers, but I was with the film the whole way, utterly mesmerised with the path it took me on.

No doubt many rewatches lie ahead to fully appreciate it. Stunning filmmaking.

Tigers are not Afraid. 

Totally brilliant. One of the most interesting 'horror' flicks I've seen for a while.  Was gripped from start to end of its tightaf 83 minute run time. 5/5

Blood Quantum

Had heard good things about this, and although it was decent, it was ultimately 'just another zombie movie'.  A shame as I thought a lot more was gonna come of the native American vs white people bit.  3/5

Empire strikes back 

If you've just turned 50 this weekend and need a midlife crisis pick-me-up film. This is as good as it gets. Back in the cinema where it belongs. It loses 0.000045 points for not showing some random sub par Arthurian short about a bloke in a suit if armour and some watery bint with a sword, like I remember there was in 1980, before the main feature. 

Anyway. 

5 storm trooper missed shots out of 5

Baker County USA aka Trapped (1982)

Some students out in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee, witness some yokels murder a guy, they get in a whole heap of trouble. It started out as a no-frills hicks-v-slicks thriller, with Henry Silva doing his charming/ruthless thing, albeit with as an unconvincing southern accent. The setting relied heavily on a cliched version of American country folk that was suitably trashy, with a dash of sleaze, plenty of gratuitous T&A. So far so enjoyably standard, but the last 20 minutes of this film are spectacular, repays the patient viewer. A nasty piece of work that doesn't mess about, even if it takes a while to do it.

3/5

Le Mans 66 / Ford v Ferrari

Excellent biopic about Ken Miles and Carroll Shelby’s attempt to beat Ferrari at the ‘66 Le Mans 24 with the GT40. Great racing scenes, fantastic audio work and good performances all round - though Bale‘s version of Miles’ supposed Brummie accent is distinctly more Northern. Quality stuff.

4/5

1917 (2019) 4k

Roger Deakins makes war look beautiful.

4/5

Platoon (1986) tv

Still the best Vietnam war film I've seen. Great performances from the three leads and the soundtrack is glorious.

5/5

Cliffhanger (1993) tv

Caught this on ITV and it's still great fun. Some nice brutal deaths, a fun turn from Lithgow and some great set-pieces.

4/5

Harry Potter And The Philosophers Stone

Better than I remember.

3/5

Between Us

An excellent film with four astounding actors at the top of their game (Stiles, Harbour, George and Diggs). A look at just how odd friendships between two couples can be, this has a cracking script and works extremely well. Everyone feels self destructive and it has a very natural feel to it.

Recommended. It’s on Prime

4/5

Dredd (2012)

An efficient and thrilling adaptation of Judge Dredd with a screenplay by Alex Garland. Coming in at around 90 minutes this doesn't outstay its welcome. No messing about, if someone gets shot or dies in this you know it, plenty of blood and gore delivered with a silent arch chuckle. Karl Urban brings as much personality as is needed for Judge Dredd's character, supporting cast do their bit. Particularly liked the way the effects of the drug slo-mo were portrayed, made a a vibrant, time-stretched counterpoint to the comic-book grit.

4/5

Judge Dredd (1995)

Where do I start with this? Dredd taking his helmet off, spending most of the film with it off, far too much chatter, Dredd being made the centre of the story and doing little actual judging, Dredd having an unfunny comedy sidekick?. Okay it has some good action in parts, and the production design is pure 90s, feels strangely familiar and nostalgic. The music is superbly overblown and epic, but wholly unsuitable for the film.  The big bike chase in the middle is exciting, there's plenty of energy. Based on my admittedly limited experience of the comics this felt like the producers hadn't actually read any of the comics featured in the intro, just gone with what was expected at the time. Disappointing.  Sly was there to get the bums on seats, he didn't fit the bill. And no mention of the meat wagon. The brief appearance of the late Ian Dury was a brief moment of hope. The rest was wasted. I knew you'd say that.

1.5/5

Angel Has Fallen

I know these films are nonsense, but I kinda enjoy their brand of nonsense. It's incredibly cliche (honestly, if you don't guess who the mastermind is right from the start this is your first action movie). This one, unlike the previous two, seems to be having a lot more fun with its concept. A lot of Gerard Butler muttering "fuck" as stuff inevitably goes wrong. The real star of the show is Nick Nolte as Gerards dad. A Vietnam veteran hermit who lives out in the woods and has boobytrapped everything with explosives leading to the best action sequence in the film. it does have some of the worst CGI I've ever seen in a theatrically released film though. Some proper fog effects that could be done with a free program, and a hilarious shot where they CGI in Morgan Freeman into a G20 summit standing next to Vladamir Putin and Angela Merkel.

3/5

Demolition Man

I've never been bungee jumping before, but if I ever do you can guarantee I will be shouting "PHOOOOENIXX!!!!" as I jump.

5 seashells/5

Kill Me Three Times (2014)

Low-key, mildly comic crime caper from Australia featuring Simon Pegg as a hitman getting mixed up with goings-on around a small coastal hotel. A little bit kooky yet not so much to differentiate it from anything similar. Despite a few plot holes and too-convenient happenings it's a decent enough story with decent enough direction and decent enough performances. Pegg doesn't stretch is comedy muscles here, felt like he was doing someone a favour. A pleasant if not particularly memorable way to spend 90 minutes. 

3/5

Hot Fuzz

Fuck me this film just gets better every time I watch it! I actually think, as great as Shaun of the Dead is, Fuzz is a better film.

Sheer brilliance!!

The cast is just phenomenally good: Pegg, Frost, Broadband, Coleman, (Rafe) Spall, Considine, Buxton, Dalton, (Martin) Freeman, Coogan, Nighy...

Cameos by Cate Blanchett and Peter Jackson?!

"He's not Judge Judy and executioner. He's my Dad".

5 guns firing in the air while screaming "aaaaaaarrrrrgggghh" / 5!!

14 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Kill Me Three Times (2014)

Low-key, mildly comic crime caper from Australia featuring Simon Pegg as a hitman getting mixed up with goings-on around a small coastal hotel. A little bit kooky yet not so much to differentiate it from anything similar. Despite a few plot holes and too-convenient happenings it's a decent enough story with decent enough direction and decent enough performances. Pegg doesn't stretch is comedy muscles here, felt like he was doing someone a favour. A pleasant if not particularly memorable way to spend 90 minutes. 

3/5

Cheers for this.

Was eyeing it up last night as to whether to give it a go or not. Doesn't sound too taxing and relatively watchable.

Transformers The Last Knight

Total bobbins at the start, though it got better toward the end.  A right looker in 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray, and I think I'm ever-so-slightly in love with Laura Haddock.

3 for the whizzbang visuals

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 2/5.

I can take the pretentiousness of it. I can understand the points trying to be made. But the fact is the characters are so unlikeable that I was ultimately bored and the up its own arse dialogue just made me groan. I just wanted it to end, which I never thought it would as it's over 2 hours long. Shame, as I like Kaufman. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 2/5.

I can take the pretentiousness of it. I can understand the points trying to be made. But the fact is the characters are so unlikeable that I was ultimately bored and the up its own arse dialogue just made me groan. I just wanted it to end, which I never thought it would as it's over 2 hours long. Shame, as I like Kaufman. 

Had an abortive attempt at watching this earlier. Really needed to be in a better mood to tackle it. The half hour or so I managed made me believe Kaufman has finally slipped over the line into total self-indulgence. For a while he could do no wrong. Then he started directing. He got less and less pushback to the point now where he could suffocate someone with a plastic bag on set and no-one would question it.