Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Badlands (1973)

Where have you been all my life?

5/5

The Blob (1988)

pretty decent body horror film; lots of cool practical effects and killings.

3/5

Wild Tales 

Magnifcent film, sort of like a latin Tales of the Unexpected only better.

You can watch it for free on Channel 4's All 4 site. 

5/5

Cargo

Took me a while to pluck up the courage to watch this one, because I was worried that the basic plot - a man tries to find a family for his infant child before he dies and becomes a zombie - would upset me too much. I watched it and it didn't.

I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Martin Freeman is perfect for the main character, because he's just so ordinary. And the film avoids the trope of an ordinary man becoming a super hero when needed. It's slightly let down by bending the rules laid out for zombification and a bit of artistic licence with a pretty bad wound. Plus the plot summary on Netflix renders the first third of the film moot, since you know exactly what's going to happen. But still a good watch. 

4/5

The Platform

This makes no bones about its symbolism. The premise is that there is a vertical prison where food comes in the top and steadily works its way down. There's two people in each cell and they know what level they're on, do know how much food is left. The people at the top get to stiff their faces, the people lower down starve. Subtle. The protagonist is called a communist for suggesting that there's enough to go around if people aren't greedy within the first few minutes. The twist being they level climates are on changes randomly every 30 days. Some months you'll eat, some you won't.

It's an intriguing watch, seeing how everyone reacts to their situation. It's got a load of great characters, including the main protagonist. It's well acted and brilliantly shot...

It'd be hard to pick fault, but for the ending, who h felt a bit "we've no idea where to go with this" and it didn't really make a lot of sense. I don't think.

Still a great film, though.

Going to dock it a single point for the ending.

4/5

The Empire Strikes Back

Went to my local Cineworld to watch this as my first visit back to the cinema. Haven't seen Empire on the big screen for so long. Probably not since the "Special" Editions came out. Still an amazing film and the best of the updates (I love the improved Wampa).

There's things I never really noticed before too, like how terrified Chewie gets when they go into the asteroid belt.

5 Force chokes / 5

Sunshine

Very nice looking, good music, everything else though was very hit and miss. It was on course for a respectable 3/5 might even have gone 4 if feeling generous and then with like half an hour to go it took a big massive shit all over itself that made me focus more on all the things that didn't quite work rather than what did. 

2/5

23 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Cargo

Took me a while to pluck up the courage to watch this one, because I was worried that the basic plot - a man tries to find a family for his infant child before he dies and becomes a zombie - would upset me too much. I watched it and it didn't.

I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Martin Freeman is perfect for the main character, because he's just so ordinary. And the film avoids the trope of an ordinary man becoming a super hero when needed. It's slightly let down by bending the rules laid out for zombification and a bit of artistic licence with a pretty bad wound. Plus the plot summary on Netflix renders the first third of the film moot, since you know exactly what's going to happen. But still a good watch. 

4/5

This was a real surprise when I watched it.  Think I watched over a weekend along side Train to Busan which was awesome (but the girl reminded me of my daughter a little too much).

Deadly Heroes (1993)

Cheap n cheerful post-Cannon action from director Menahem Golan. With zero fanfare we see some terrorists testing out their new toys - literally: plastic toy guns that fire real bullets. Before we know it they're causing chaos at Athens Airport, getting all 80s by taking a load of passengers hostage and making demands. The initial gimmick is swiftly forgotten in favour of standard Americans-kick-nasty-foreigner-ass action set in an unspecified African country where taxi drivers appear to speak Spanish. Michael Pare and Jan Michael Vincent swing into action in a script that was probably dictated by an excitable 14 year-old. Cannon regular Billy Drago is the sleazy baddie of the piece - he LOVES her breasts, don't you know. Naturally the Yanks manage to secure enough hardware to get shot of a load more differently-ethnic guards and whatnot before sailing off to the sounds of back-slapping and a forgettable rock ballad. Fans of Cannon's output will feel right at home, although this is definitely a much cheaper affair with some pretty atrocious editing and sometimes chuckle-worthy dialogue.

2.5/5

Sputnik - A Soviet-era horror film that rips of about 6 other films (Alien, The Thing and lots more) but never reaches their heights. 

A cosmonaut returns from space with an alien parasite living inside him. He's moved to an isolated military base where the army and some doctors try to work out what's going on. This goes about as well as you'd expect.

I thought this was pretty good. Good Soviet aesthetic, decent acting and some nice (although derivative) ideas. Worth your time if you're a horror fan.

3.5/5

Trolls World Tour -

Our five year old is a big fan of the original film, and associated netflix series. I found the first quite watchable, it's bright and cheery with a totally off the wall sense of humour that was at times surprisingly funny. It's not the worst film to watch with the kids basically. 

Trolls World Tour, the sequel (the digital rental costs have been reduced from £15.99 to £4.99, so I couldn't hold 5yr old back any longer) has a neat concept about Rock music being bad and taking over all other types of music. The visual style is as inventive and crazy as the first...but that's were the positive stuff ends. 

The film is boring.  The kids were bored, I was very bored. The humour is off the wall again but it doesn't work. The plot, despite being a reasonably good idea, doesn't work since the pop music they are trying to save is by far the most painful to listen to in the whole film - Even our five year old picked up that the 'rock' music was better. 

This is not a good kids film. 

2/5

Wild Rose - 4/5

I came to this flick in a very roundabout way. I’ve got a great app (WhoSampled) that you can use like Shazam to identify samples, but also scans your music library to identify tunes that have been sampled, cover versions, etc.

So one of the tracks I looked at covers by was John Prine’s ‘Angel of Montgomery’, and amongst the four covers was one by Jessie Buckley, who I’d never heard of. I was a bit blown away by it, and looking it up unearthed this film - free on Prime to boot!

Anyway we watched last night, and what a great movie. It’s cheesy without being schmaltzy, happily both wrongfoots you and plays squarely into your expectations with a very deft touch indeed. Buckley and Walters are both great, and Buckley’s performance fairly yanks on the heartstrings like a bunjy at points. Loved it.

Irma Vep 4/5

Big thanks to @Minion for recommending this one. Wasn’t sure with this at first as so many of the French filmmakers in this come across as pretentious arses, but then you realise that’s kinda the point. Maggie Cheung is (as always) fantastic as a foreigner out of place in an industry that’s lost its way.

Such a shame that Cheung retired young from acting. She really was one of the best.

On 12/08/2020 at 14:30, Shoes said:

Badlands (1973)

Where have you been all my life?

5/5

Have you seen Days of Heaven? I think it's even more amazing. Absolutely stunning.

Jumanji W2tJ 4/5

Jumanji TNL 4/5

I think watching them on two nights, back to back, diminishes the power of the 2nd film, in isolation they're as good as each other so I've reflected that in their scores.

And Kevin Hart's Danny Glover impression is good fun. Awkwafina's Devito, not so much.

#Smouldering

Project Power

Project PissMoneyAway more like.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie with a such a high budget-to-shiteness ratio - a peculiar product of subscription model entertainment.

1/5

Extraction 3/5

Some really good action scenes but nothing you haven't seen before. If this was made in the 80's Arnold would have been it and it would had a million one liners which would have improved it no end. 

Project Power (2020)

It's all about the concept: there's a new drug in town that gives the user special powers for a short period. Obviously there's a more sinister reason for this than mere mad shit. As far as the film goes it's more mad shit than sinister despite the directors' efforts. The superpowers make the basis for some flashy action yet the main motivation behind them is very, very formulaic; the good ideas used in the action don't feed back into the plot. And the action here is exciting with some superb CGI that blends well with reality on the whole, especially the bank-robber. Sadly the inter-personal drama, whilst initially promising much with an emphasis on Dominique Fishback's character's struggles as a black teenager trying to do the right thing, takes something of a back seat. Jamie Foxx's character similarly has some potential depth, a man stretching moral bounds for his own reasons. Probably the weakest lead in a dramatic sense was Joseph Gordon-Levitt's power-using cop, he barely gets a mild wrap on the knuckles for his actions. So what remains is a decent enough, exciting tale with great CG let down by characters and plot that don't live up to their full potential.

3/5

Godzilla: King of The Monsters (2019)

How do you make a boring Godzilla movie?

Ask Warner Bros, they made two of them. 

That scene where Big G strolls in battle, flanked by numerous aircraft,  is fucking mint though.

2/5

On 11/08/2020 at 15:39, grounded_dreams said:

Babyteeth (2020)

It stars Eliza Scanlen (Sharp Objects, Little Women) as Milla a extremely ill teenager who meets and falls in love with a local drug dealer.
It also features Ben Mendelsohn (Animal Kingdom, Rogue One), one of my favourite actors, as the father and Essie Davis (The Babadook) as the Mother.

Directed by Shannon Murphy for her first full length feature, she has made shorts, TV episodes including Killing Eve. Shot so beautifully, editing is so sharp and structured perfectly for an emotional rollcaster of a story. I was so invested in the story of Milla and Moses (which was another standout performance from Toby Wallace).

The music choices and diegetic sound (which is very front and centre during the first half) was incredible. So many new artists I've never heard of, I've now got into due to this soundtrack.
Really emotional journey which stayed with my well after the viewing, which always says something to me to the quality of the film.

Can't wait to see Shannon Murphy's next feature, after she does more TV, she will be involved in the TV adaptation of The Power, by Sister Pictures, who made Chernobyl and Giri-Haji.

Will be astonished if this isn't in my top ten films of the year. Loved it.

4.5/5

This really moved me. It's centred around Milla's terminal illness, but it's absolutely about the joys of life; experiencing as much as possible while you can. The two leads were superb. 

Spoiler

As someone with a progressive illness myself, the final scene ruined me. Milla being unable to cope with living, being sociable, the sunlight, and her father's realisation of this and their short conversation after. "I'm going to enjoy becoming part of a sky like this, dad." 

Beautiful film.

The Supergrass (1985)

This was The Comic Strip's first full feature, a comedy crime tale about a big-mouthed young man (Adrian Edmondson) who, in a bid to impress a girl enough to go away with him on holiday, ends up involved in a police operation to do with drug-smuggling, having to stay by the sea with police officers Jennifer Saunders and Peter Richardson, who co-wrote and directed the film. More slyly comic drama than out-and-out comedy, with the exception of Alexei Sayle's over-zealous motorcycle cop and Keith Allen and Nigel Planer as what I presumed were actors-turned-criminals. In fact the film's tone move towards drama. Some may find the meandering nature of it off-putting. Worth it for Robbie Coltaine's cop's dedication to the job. For the record this was the full 103-minute theatrical release rather then the 93-minute version put out on the various Comic Strip DVD releases.

3/5

The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) 4/5

Alright alright alright, it's one of Matthew McConaughey's first movies where he realized he could be in more than chick flicks. Great cast all on fine form. Really enjoyed this one.