Rate the last film you watched out of 5

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)

From the classic period of American comedy movies that frankly puts the modern shit to shame. The third and final Pryor/Wilder collaboration, this time with one guy being blind, the other deaf and only able to lip-read, both inadvertently getting involved in an admittedly limp criminal plot involving a murder and a coin, it's really just an excuse for the comedy really. Plenty of set pieces that make the most of the situation, the police photographer bit was my favourite. Joan Severance was at her hottest here, and you get to see Kevin Spacey getting punched in the face. I'm not sure how something like this would play today, the script does touch on how these guys came to acquire their disabilities which makes for some light pathos, and it never mocks them for it.

3.5/5

Radioactivity

Epically shite biopic of Marie Curie currently on Prime. Fucking terrible. Save the two hours. Trust me, it’s fucking excruciating. Does a massive disservice to Curie and women in science in general. Dangerously stupid conflation of Curie’s work with a host of nuclear disasters and atrocities. I know it’s based on a graphic novel, but Jack Thorne should still be shot for screenwriting this. Avoid like the film itself is radioactive.

0/5

7 hours ago, Nick R said:

Blow-Up (1966) - 3.5/5

I knew two things about this film before seeing it: one was that it features a performance by The Yardbirds; the other was that De Palma remade it as Blow Out, but with the medium changed from a photo to an audio recording.

I expected that the majority of the film would be spent focusing on this thriller/murder mystery plot. It turns out... it really doesn't!

I'm not against films being artsy and open to interpretation and containing elements that defy a definitive explanation, but ideally I prefer it when all that lies underneath a satisfying traditional surface-level story. This one doesn't really have that. Though I didn't find it unenjoyable to watch - I got more out of it than I did out of two other highly-regarded '60s art films (8½ and if..., neither of which I really got on with). Reading more about the film, some critics' interpretations are interesting, others sound like they're reading way too much into it because they want to see something th--

... hang on a minute! :o

Read the superb Easy Riders Raging Bulls to find out why this film was such a huge influence on 70s Hollywood. It's giallo in a way, it demands more questions than answers, it was a groundbreaking film. I guess the fact it had full female nudity in it probably got it more recognition than it deserved though.

Two films from this weekend. Two completely different, both in terms of content and quality.

Slender Man

I usually have a high tolerance for shite teen horror, but this is on another level. I don't think I've watched a film since Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem that is so poorly lit it becomes unwatchable. Annoying teen characters wandering around a forest in the pitch black, then all of a sudden there's a thin faceless man in the background. Repeat for an hour and a half. The ending is also the worst I've seen in quite a while.

0/5

Ip Man 4: The Finale

This is more like it. The fourth and final film in Donnie Yens excellent Ip Man series. What started off as a serious martial arts epic escalated as the series progresses into amazing nonsense, with the second film basically being Rocky IV. The fourth film follows Ip Man going to San Francisco to look for a school for his son, while there he gets back in touch with former student Bruce Lee and helps fight against a bunch of racist American army people led by the every brilliant Scott Adkins. Also it has the best theme.

FUCK YEAH.

5/5

1 hour ago, strider said:

Edge Of Tomorrow

I really like this and Cruise and Blunt are good fun. 

4/5

If you haven’t already, I would highly recommend reading the manga it’s based on as it’s probably even better.

29 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

If you haven’t already, I would highly recommend reading the manga it’s based on as it’s probably even better.

All you need is kill, right?

The Last Samurai 

Yes, these days it would be classed, at the very least, as cultural appropriation, but it's still a terrific film. One of the armour sets in Ghost of Tsushima is pretty much a direct lift from an armour set used in this movie.

4/5 

capital in the twenty-first century

Boooooring.
They tried to make it sexy and keep the pace up. They should have come at it from the other angle, I reckon, slow everything down, let a few experts talk at length and draw you in, pull you beneath the surface.
I wanted something like that because I was tired. Instead I got the economy roller-coaster, frothy bollocks, speeding past shit you already knew.
Waste of time.

Terrified (Aterrados)

Lets itself down in the third act, but I had a smile on my face most of the way through this.
Would have been much better without the little exposition dump in the middle, and

Spoiler

the final jump scare was poorly done.

Like some other moments in the film, it only served to cheapen the rest.

It's great fun though, never a dull moment, foot down on the pedal all the way to the end. Definitely worth a watch. Could have been great, but it's still good.

The good stuff is very good.
Go in expecting a fast, fun, daft ghost train ride and you'll not come out the other end feeling short changed.

The Last Samurai
I've been hoping this would get a 4K release but I'll make do with it on Netflix. It's another Cruise movie where he does what he does best and it's get some cracking battle sequences in it. It's very much Dances With Samurai, but that's no bad thing and all the cast is solid, particularly Ken Watanabe. I also like how the relationship between Cruise and Kato is handled.

4/5

I really want to see Jerry McGuire tomorrow, but Mel has professed an interest in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Gemini man

2/5.

I can't give it 1 because it has some money spent on it but it's a really terrible premise that's really poorly executed.  It's one of those films where you think.   How did they end up with this?

Standouts are really jarring CGI.  Like matrix reloaded 20 years ago CGI.  Will Smith gurns at the screen a lot but the worst part is the bit at the beginning where clive Owen and the other senior lady talk about why they need to kill Will Smith.  Only problem is that the script and the actors don't seem to know why they need to kill Wll Smith so it plays out like a less convincing scene from extras or something.  It's proper surreal.

10 hours ago, tenrou said:

Gemini man

2/5.

I can't give it 1 because it has some money spent on it but it's a really terrible premise that's really poorly executed.  It's one of those films where you think.   How did they end up with this?

Standouts are really jarring CGI.  Like matrix reloaded 20 years ago CGI.  Will Smith gurns at the screen a lot but the worst part is the bit at the beginning where clive Owen and the other senior lady talk about why they need to kill Will Smith.  Only problem is that the script and the actors don't seem to know why they need to kill Wll Smith so it plays out like a less convincing scene from extras or something.  It's proper surreal.

Surely having a lot of money spent on it but ending up shit makes it even more risible/open to criticism?

Showgirls - 5/5

This cropped up on MUBI as a rediscovered classic, and by crikey they got that right. Not seen it before and I loved it, a totally bonkers whirlwind of neon dramarama. None of it really makes any sense, and who cares - the girl’s just got to dance to get ahead, and get ahead to dance. Plus some other unsavoury activities. Viva Las Vegas!

Kyle MacLachlan's face as he has sex in the swimming pool, is possibly the most unintentionally hilarious bit of the movie. Its like watching a man realise his whole acting careers is about to end. 

Dunno, I think it's hard to give anything with at least some form of production value a 1.  I could hear what they were saying.  It felt like a film. For that I couldn't give it a 1.

17 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Kyle MacLachlan's face as he has sex in the swimming pool, is possibly the most unintentionally hilarious bit of the movie. Its like watching a man realise his whole acting careers is about to end. 

That bit was more terrifying than one of the murder scenes from Species.

I'd like to watch it again to be sure, but remembered loving Showgirls when I last saw it. I think they made it so ridiculous and left out the usual sign-posts of satire that you can be forgiven for thinking it's trash. Something like American Crime Story did the same kind of trick by packaging everything up in that high-gloss soap style and everyone thought that was amazing. 

7 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

There's a documentary about Showgirls called 'You Don't Nomi' that came out recently. I've not seen it but it's meant to be really good. 

Oh cool thanks, I’ll look out for that.

Unbreakable 

I had forgotten just how good this is. Pitch perfect from the acting to the direction and script. It’s a fantastic yarn with such an unusual take on the superhero genre. 

5/5

Split

Another brilliant film from MNS. Not quite as good as UB, but still a great watch. McAvoy is so good in the central role. He effortlessly switches from one personality to another and is utterly convincing. 

4.5/5

Glass

Not seen this before.  I think it was poorly received, but I thought it was great. True, it’s slightly poorer than Split but there’s still a lot of  good stuff here. What a great little trilogy of movies that seem fresh and original.

4/5

Stripes - 1/5

This has been on my to do list for some time. Bill Murray? Harold Raimis? Ivan Reitman? Wow, who ya gonna call write, direct and star in a fun 80s comedy? Let’s just get one thing out of the way - the leering, sleazy photography and depiction of all women as either strippers or floozies is discomforting are best and deplorable at worst. I do think the movie is quite boring and unfunny but I can’t honestly say if that’s the case because it alienated me right from the word go and to the point where it was lost to me. Bill Murray’s girlfriend character walks around topless during one of the first scenes for literally no reason other than for the audience to ogle her boobies and this sets the tone for the rest of the movie as it digs deeper into a pit of puerile despair. 

I imagine this is what watching Caddy Shack or Police Academy would be like? I don’t plan on finding out. The kind of movie you’d feel embarrassed was on if someone walked in on you watching it. 

Bad Boys For Life. 

Really good ridiculously over the top action and a surprisingly heartfelt performance from Martin Lawrence (!) make this by far the best in a series which was previously not great, a fun time all round much in the vein of the later Fast and Furious films. Taking this away from Michael Bay pays off massively. 4/5.