Rate the last film you watched out of 5

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

I watched Green Street 2 earlier. I would like to apologise to Danny Dyer for slagging off The Business, as it looks like The Godfather in comparison.

Green Street 2 may well be the worst film I have ever seen. And I've seen Noah and He's Just Not That Into You. 

Oh, holy shit, Green Street 2 is spectacularly awful! Watched that at work, and even though I was technically being paid to do so, I still felt cheated. It’s dire. One of my few 1/10s on IMDb.

And they still got a third film green lit. FFS movies.

Anyway, as I watched it:

Green Street 2

Occasionally, you watch a film which is so horrendously bad that you have to keep watching it because it's either amusing or to tell people 'I watched this and it was sooooo bad'.  But sometimes, a really really bad film transcends that and is just borderline offensive.

Green Street 2 makes no sense.  At all.  There may be some form of plot in there but TBH if there was, I missed it and I don't think it's because it was too subtle.  Plenty of 'facks' and 'cants' and 'slags getting cut' during fights in prison cells (honestly - shocking security in a prison....) and - spoiler: there's a football match involved and some of the players resort to fouling each other.  To summarise: a guy we barely saw in GS1 is in prison with lots of other guys we definitely never saw from GS1.  They support West Ham, so inevitably, the prison authorities put them in a block with lots of Millwall fans (they're the baddies) none of whom we ever saw in GS1 either, not even the big bloke who played Ackerman in Red Dwarf VIII.  The guards/warden of this prison DEFINITELY didn't see GS1 because if you put West Ham 'lads' anywhere near Millwall 'lads', they tend to like bashing seven shades of shit out of each other.  Anyway, they don't get on, and no surprises here - they fight a lot.  Oh yeah, and there are some shady Russian hooligans in there as well because - y'know - why not?  They're good at hooligans.

The entertainment industry is full of weird links - one of these is that an actor (Ross McCall) from the incredible Band of Brothers - my favourite drama of all time and choc-a-block full of amazing performances - is the lead role in this turd of a movie.

The only positive I can say about Green Street 2 is that it makes the original Green Street look half decent and full of Oscar-worthy performances.  (Narrator: the original Green Street  is NOT half decent and does NOT feature Oscar winning performances.  Elijah Wood sadly does not make a credible football hooligan and Charlie Hunnam cannot do a cockney accent...) But sadly, that positive note is lost when I would have rather spent the 90 minutes suffering this shit waist deep in raw sewage.

It truly is one of the very worst films I have ever seen.

0/5

King Kong - 2005

Meh. Excessive CGI, and just excessive generally, easily an hour longer than it had any right or need to be. Cast was decent enough. And I liked it when the big monkey was fucking shit up. 

2/5

I love a bit of Woody!

Shock and Awe

Somewhere there’s a good film in here. The story of how one news organisation didn’t believe  in Saddams WMDs should be a fascinating tale. But Rob Reiner fumbles the ball somewhat and we get a decidedly average movie which wastes a great cast.

2.5/5

The Highwaymen. 

This is simply overlong and meanders about 70% of the way through and then veers off course quite badly negating the excellent first half. It’s still a pretty good film taken as a whole and Costner and Harrelson are both on top form. It makes the wise choice of not Concentrating on Bonnie and Clyde at all, the focus is always on the people chasing them.

3/5

Three Billboards outside ebbing..

I’ve saved the best for last. This is an absolute gem of a film with Rockwell towering over the other actors in a career best performance. If anything it’s a film about the performances as the story while interesting and well told, doesn’t feel as special as the acting. 

5/5

127 hours

James Franco can be quite good sometimes and other times he's quite annoying. I found him quite annoying in this. The whole film was pretty fucking annoying. The constant close ups of his face were particularly bad, especially the bit where he was eating the burrito looking thing fucking disgusting moreso even than

Spoiler

the bit where he hacked his arm off. 

I do not recommend this at all. 

2/5

The Truman Show

I can't remember if I ever watched this the whole way through before today - it was the kind of thing I'd tune in to on telly partway through - but it's a great katamari of paranoia, voyeurism and madness. The way the pieces slowly come together whilst the world works against him is really compelling, although you have to be on board with such a unique premise!

4/5

Naked (1993)

Bleak, dark drama rooted in the very depths of humanity yet it goes places beyond it. Johnny flees Manchester to London, to the house of an old girlfriend, Louise. After making an impression on her broken flatmate Sophie, he embarks on a nocturnal meander around the streets of the capital, a catalyst for the various characters he encounters. David Thewlis' Johnny stands out above some strong performances. You get the impression Johnny's mind is a constant whirr, both a blessing and a curse, sort of reminded me of Mark E Smith with his idiosyncratic view of the world. My favourite part has to be his encounter with the security guy guarding an empty building who believes he has the key to existence, leading to one of the most memorable exchanges in the film. Probably the weakest character was Jeremy, the sadistic rich guy. Every time it switched to him other than towards the end it made me want to just go back to following Johnny around. My words can't do this justice, I watch too much crap, but this was absorbing, took me to places unimagined even though it couldn't feel more real. I want to watch this again soon where I know I'll find more.

5/5

Gone Girl 

Never realised this was directed by  David Fincher. Girlfriend’s pick as she had read the book years ago - I knew nothing about. Really enjoyed it, it surprised me and entertained me all the way through. Decent performances and   always good to see Doogie Howser M.D

4/5 

This was watched with a bottle and half of red wine in me, so my judgement could have been impaired.

Searching

I feel like this is the second movie I've watched this month that is always from the perspective of a computer screen. John Cho's daughter goes missing so it's up to him and a detective to do all sorts of internet sleuthing. Lots of looking at Facebook pages and slow loading reveals in this one, but it still managed to entertain and made the hour and 45 minute runtime flyby. Really impressed with it. John Cho puts on a great lead performance and the supporting cast do a good job also. It's now on Netflix.

4/5

On 25/07/2020 at 00:31, Vimster said:

Naked (1993)

Bleak, dark drama rooted in the very depths of humanity yet it goes places beyond it. Johnny flees Manchester to London, to the house of an old girlfriend, Louise. After making an impression on her broken flatmate Sophie, he embarks on a nocturnal meander around the streets of the capital, a catalyst for the various characters he encounters. David Thewlis' Johnny stands out above some strong performances. You get the impression Johnny's mind is a constant whirr, both a blessing and a curse, sort of reminded me of Mark E Smith with his idiosyncratic view of the world. My favourite part has to be his encounter with the security guy guarding an empty building who believes he has the key to existence, leading to one of the most memorable exchanges in the film. Probably the weakest character was Jeremy, the sadistic rich guy. Every time it switched to him other than towards the end it made me want to just go back to following Johnny around. My words can't do this justice, I watch too much crap, but this was absorbing, took me to places unimagined even though it couldn't feel more real. I want to watch this again soon where I know I'll find more.

5/5

I remember watching this when I was a student and it left quite an impression on me. All you need to know is that it's directed by Mike Leigh and has that earthy improvised quality that he does so well.

A quote stayed with me ever since, though I looked it up for accuracy: "Have you ever thought... you might already have had the happiest moment in your whole fucking life...and all you've got to look forward to is sickness and purgatory?'"

It's not an easy watch but haunting and brilliant. Thanks for reminding me of it, I'll have to look it up.

On 25/07/2020 at 00:31, Vimster said:

Naked (1993)

5/5

Love this film. I was in a zoom Q&A with Mike Leigh the other day and I asked him if he was conscious of shooting London in a way that would make it iconic to him, in the same way As Fellini did with Rome or Scorcese with NYC. He just said "no". Lol

Glastonbury - 4/5

I managed to catch the Julian Temple Glastonbury documentary before it went off iplayer last night. A fantastic movie, and if you’ve ever been to Glastonbury it’s one that will make you wish you were at a Glastonbury, even though it barely scratches the surface of the event really.

Weaves festivals past and present together wonderfully, and captures the ups and downs of irrepressible human spirit trying to square the circle of coping with authoritarian society into the bargain.

Spider-Man2 5/5

Best of the Raimi films. Possibly best of the first 5 films* to be fair

* of the modern era. Nicholas Hammond fo' life, yo!

Rope (1948)

The third film from the Hitchcock boxset.

Out of the three I've seen so far I think this one is my favourite. I like how tight it is, how it keeps everything to one location and the spin on the Agatha Christie style murder mystery in that we know who did it and that the two men responsible have different responses, with one being terrified of being caught and the other seemingly setting up clue after clue to prove how much more intelligent than everyone else he is.

One thing though, was the shakey camera work on purpose or just something from the time? I know alot of films in the 40s were very static but this had moments where the camera would follow the characters

5/5

27 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

I think that's on the disc in my collection, I'll be sure to give it a watch, I was given these two links to read too

https://vashivisuals.com/alfred-hitchcock-hiding-cuts-rope/

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/understanding-hidden-editing-in-hitchcocks-rope

E.T The Extra-Terrestrial  4.5/5

Must be 30 years since I last saw it.  The magic is still there even if the effects are more than a little ropey these days.

How to Build a Girl (Amazon Prime)

It sits somewhere between Sing Street (which I loved) and Almost Famous (which I like).

The film has two bonafide stars; Moran's writing itself ("I like doors, they tell me where the world stops") and Beanie Feldstein who has a more dramatic part than anything I've seen her in previously (Book Smart and What We Do In The Shadows) and she's more than up to it, especially when the main character is really hitting rock bottom.

I know of the book the film is partially based on (my wife is a fan) and so at times I think it struggles stepping between autobiographical (did this happen to Caitlin Moran? did that happen to Caitlin Moran? etc.) and fictional lines.  It's totally watchable and thoughtful throughout.  Hit me right in the nostalgic feels when she goes to see the Manics at Edwards Number 8.

A very strong 3/5 recommendation.

The Rental (2020)

I thought this was so bad. I'm gonna spoiler the rest because I'm pretty much ranting on the plot and characters outcomes.

Spoiler

For a 90 minute film this sure does take its sweet time to get going. It took nearly an hour for anything of real note to happen, then there's another 5-10 minutes of plodding about before the killer finally does something. 

Unfortunately he's probably on screen for all of about 15 minutes (if that) looking like a 3rd rate Michael Myers. He takes two people out instantly (one we don't even see) and a 3rd in quick succession. All of them with a hammer and very unseremoniously. Then the final characters death is so laughably stupid as she falls off a cliff. Whoops didn't see the cliff edge in all that fog I guess :rolleyes:

There's absolutely zero tension because they have to rush through everything to get to the end after wasting so much time on other bullshit. If you're going to keep your movie to a nice 90 minute run time, dont spend an hour of it doing nothing but having annoying people talk about their life problems, getting high and fucking each other.

The set up needed maybe 40 minutes max and the next 40-50 minutes could have been used much more effectively with more involvement and stalking from the killer. Doesn't feel like enough was made of the cameras and bugs either, again due to nature of the rushed 3rd act. Do something more inventive with the time and maybe also don't spend about 5-8 minutes of the ending being about the killer taking all the bugs out of one house and putting them in another, it's boring.

This was dull, unimaginative, cliched and completely lacking in tension. 

1/5

Game Night (Amazon Prime)

Entertaining and with a good cast, with a premise that's basically a comedy version of The Game (Michael Douglas) - friends meet up every week for to play some shit games, one of them escalates it by hiring a company to fake a kidnap and the cast then need to figure out the clues to solve the case. Kidnapping goes wrong so the film keeps you and the characters guessing if the kidnapping was planned or something else.

It does a pretty good job with the humour, especially in the first half of the film. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are great in it and clearly enjoying themselves, and nice to see Sharon Horgan too after Catastrophe. Some surprisingly creative direction in there , for example the third person camera they use for the vehicles was pretty neat (like driving in a videogame in 3rd person).

Unfortunately the film doesn't quite hold it together, and we felt it fell apart the more the plot unfolded. That said, we both found it very entertaining in places so worth a go if you want something that's better than your average comedy. 

3/5, reminded me I need to watch The Game again.

The Way (2010) - Amazon Prime

Thomas Avery (Martin Sheen) is a California opthamologist.  His son, Daniel, (Emilio Estevez, who also wrote and directed) gives up the planned career as a doctor to travel the world.  Thomas receives a phone call - Daniel was walking the Camino di Santiago, a pilgrimage route from Southern France across Northern Spain, when he is lost in fog and dies.  Thomas travels to France to pick up his sons body and decides that he will walk the Camino, alone and with no experience.  On the way, he meets up with Dutchman Joost (Yorick van Wageningen), Canadian Sarah (Deborah Kara Unger) and Irishman Jack (James Nesbitt) who are all walking for their own reasons.

In terms of plot, this movie is predictable rather than cliched.  A fish out of water, meeting other fishes out of water with their own Secret Reasons, who at first irritate each other and then become friends.  It's not the destination, it's the journey kind of thing.  But that is just an old story, it's what you do with it that counts.  The film itself is very solid and you can't really go wrong with the likes of Sheen and Nesbitt.  It would be very easy to slip into stereotype and cliche (which Nesbitt initially does, before toning it down a bit) and Estevez steers away from it most of the time - special props to van Wageningen, who brings subtlety to what could easily have been a cliched loud Dutchman character.  Although a story of people walking a religious pilgrimage, it doesn't smash you over the head with the religion and the characters motivations are relatable and normal.  The various bits about why people travel the world are nicely observed, with cliches carefully skewered without cynicism or preaching.

Ultimately, you spend a couple of hours with some great scenery, likable characters played by excellent actors in an uplifting story that has some very funny moments.  It's not going to change the world or do anything particularly original, but you will have a smile on your face at the end.

4/5

Also, Estevez is the absolute spit of his father.

The Old Guard

Great concept, trapped in a pretty bog average action shooter. I think I'd prefer to have seen more of them through the ages rather than in the modern day (although the bits we did see weren't great and looked more like Xena Warrior Princess). The general plot and bad guy were pretty crap too...however having said all that, I was never bored and the 2 hours flew by. There was some pretty good gun/sword/axe fights. Would watch a sequel.

3/5

The Lighthouse (Amazon rental £3.50 SD)

Weird and creepy and unpleasant. Willem Dafoe was tremendous in it. The other guy was decent too. And it was very well shot in what I would describe as a very old timey style that fit with the story. The old timey aspect ratio was annoying a fuck though and I really hope playing around with weird aspect ratios like this doesn't become a trend. 

Hard one to score. It was good for what it was but I don't wanna watch it again. I dunno...

4/5

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Harold and Maude.

Charming, weird old movie. 

4/5

I saw this last year. I very much doubt it would be made now. As you say it is weird and wonderful and available on Netflix.

A few I have watched recently

Bad Boys for Life 3/5

The chemistry and humour is still around but they are both way too old but I expect we will get a sequel.

Will I watch it? Of course! Bad Boys, Bad Boys, what you gonna do...

Vivarium 2/5

WTF! very odd estate agent sci-fi alien breeding.

Time Trap 4/5

How did I miss this on release, low budget sci-fi on Netflix. It's really good go watch it.

The Forgotten Army 5/5

I really enjoyed this mini-series about the the beginnings of the INA & their march to Dehli.

Artemis Fowl 2/5

My daugher quit after 30 minutes, I stupidly carried on watching. No idea why!