Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Enjoyed it more on second viewing. Bumped it up a star. Still a shame that Cruise’s much heralded HALO jump looks fake for most of the scene.

4 out of 5

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)

I was one of the few people to see this in the cinema on it's release and as a 13 year old who was expecting more Monty Python I admit to being disappointed.

As an adult who has a more rounded appreciation of film I was absolutely blown away by it.    The cast is on form, the story bubbles along at a pace and the production value is visible in every single scene.   

Being a Gilliam film, I am not surprised to find that it had a troubled production but it does not show in the final cut.

A wonderful Fantasy.     5 Oliver Reeds/5

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

A good start, maybe the first third of it, special effects are great. The rest of it is shit once you realise it's just a big exercise (a rather embarrassing one) in aping another film from 1979.

The worst of the recent POTA films, mostly because I hate films making such massive, obvious nods and winks to other films, it is totally sad.

2/5

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

A good start, maybe the first third of it, special effects are great. The rest of it is shit once you realise it's just a big exercise (a rather embarrassing one) in aping another film from 1979.

The worst of the recent POTA films, mostly because I hate films making such massive, obvious nods and winks to other films, it is totally sad.

2/5

I never even made it to the end 

Wolf Creek 2

This ups the ante a bit from the first film. A bigger budget is evident and it is a very effective sequel. It’s not as good as either the first film or season one of the tv show, but I still found it incredibly interesting. 

4/5

Dont Breathe 

This excellent thriller would have got 5/5 but it flunks it a bit in the last 10 minutes where Lang is basically as tough as a Terminator. Shame really as the cast are all first rate and it is a great idea for a film.

4/5

Den of Thieves

What happens if you remake Heat but take away Mann and add Butler? You get this perfectly serviceable but entirely derivative film. I like Butler, but Pacino he ain’t. Not bad, but not worth seeking out.

2.5/5

On 19/07/2020 at 20:08, Mike S said:

More Mike Commode than Mark Kermode sadly, but nobody throws even the lightest of shade at The Exorcist. Not on my watch...

It is my favourite film ever and one that I can watch and watch and still have goosebumps every single time. I also own two artworks inspired by the Best Film Of All Time as I do not mess about when it comes to fanboyism.

You did see the score I gave it right?

I started watching the 25th anniversary documentary that Kermode did.  He looks so young!!

Jo Jo Rabbit.

5/5, superb. While, as usual, most of the funniest parts are in the trailer this is a wonderful if predictable film. Really enjoyed it and Sam Rockwell was excellent.

Had a very quick chat with a Mark Kermode the other week. Bumped into him while walking in the New Forest. Very friendly chap. As I’m socially inept, I found it rather awkward.

3 hours ago, englishbob said:

2/5

It definitely is the weakest of the three films, and from what I remember if it, I'd agree that its first section was its strongest. But overall I liked it a lot more than you did - IMO there's not a huge spread in quality between the three new Apes movies.

As for the references to that 1979 war film: I don't think there's anything wrong with taking the basic story/structure of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now and transplanting it into a sci-fi post-apocalyptic setting. (Second thoughts, the time when War is set is not quite post-apocalyptic yet. Let's call it... Now-Apocalyptic? ;))

I wouldn't complain about a film taking its basic structure from a classic, and putting it in a new setting and aiming it at a different audience. I mean, one of the most famous reused stories in cinema history is Seven Samurai -> The Magnificent Seven -> A Bug's Life.

But the risk is when a film makes direct on-screen references to the story it's swiping from - especially if it's something that has been referenced countless times before. Whenever a homage is too blatant or a reference is extended too long, there's a risk that anyone who is familiar with the original source will quickly begin to find it tedious: "OK, I get what you're doing, ha ha very amusing, now please move onto something original." For a lot of people, War For the Planet of the Apes crossed that line.

Also worth noting that in 2017, there was another blockbuster movie about primates that made a lot of references to Apocalypse Now:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/kong-skull-island-director-i-wanted-to-see-apocalypse-now-with-king-kong/

1 hour ago, sandman said:

You did see the score I gave it right?

I started watching the 25th anniversary documentary that Kermode did.  He looks so young!!

I did see your score.

Which, of course, was the correct score even if your working out was wrong.

:quote:

Jaws 2 - 3.5/5

Must be 20 years since I last saw it.  Obviously not a patch on the original but still a decent film in it’s own right.  I enjoyed it.

Paul (2011)

Simon Pegg, Nick Frost  & Seth Rogan on a road trip where one's an alien trying to escape  incarceration in America.There's a who's who of American comedians  who are be household names now . I's pretty short, has a few laughs, lots of direct sci-fi references , some of  which land better than others  and is all round inoffensive.

3/5

Blue Ruin

A wee fucking belter of a film. Decent acting. Well directed. Not a pick of fat on it. Cost less than half a million to make too. Tremendous. Got a bit daft a few times but I'll forgive it. 

5/5

It's on Netflix. 

5 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Blue Ruin

A wee fucking belter of a film. Decent acting. Well directed. Not a pick of fat on it. Cost less than half a million to make too. Tremendous. Got a bit daft a few times but I'll forgive it. 

5/5

It's on Netflix. 

Adore that film. If you haven't already, I highly recommend one of the directors, Jeremy Saulnier, other work Green Room.

Avengers Infinity War

Do you know what makes this pretty damn awesome film just that teensy bit more awesome?

1. Watch it with your 9 year old daughter

2. Watch it after binging through the previous MCU films in chronological order

Great stuff

5/5

The Nice Guys

I enjoyed this buddy cop movie starring Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe, even though I think the writers thought it was a little bit funnier than it actually was.  Entertaining enough, and how the hell does Kim Basinger still look that good at whatever age she is...?

3.5/5

In The Name of the Father

Sometimes, you watch a film based on a true story that captivates you so much that you have to go away afterwards and research what actually happened.  I'm sorry to say that I didn't know too much about the Guildford Four, but Daniel Day-Lewis is utterly sensational as wrongly convicted Gerry Conlon.  This was a pleasure to watch - tense throughout, the sheer emotion is almost exhausting.  One of the very best films I've seen in years.

5/5

Last action hero

I, like a lot of other people, didn't get LAH originally, I thought it was playing it straight and the kid was annoying. Rewatched it over the weekend and have a bit of a different opinion, the entire premise and how they send up 80s action movies is beautifully on the nose. None of that would be possible without Arnold being so willing to send up his own image so completely. Some of the visual gags are fantastic and there's some great supporting characters, including Danny devitos cat...

It loses some steam in the last half hour as they change location but overall it's a decent action comedy that's well worth the time.

4/5

Mortal engines

I have little or no knowledge of the source material but was intrigued  by the trailer, the design of the rolling cities and general premise of the world. I saw that Jackson was involved and heard reviews were poor, sits at 28%  on RT, not that that's an indication of anything these days. Anyway it's a pretty standard underdog, chosen one defeats the big bad, scifi scenario. The designs are fantastic, there's  real weight to elements of the CGI in the final battle and some of the performances are decent.

2.5/5

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Went and saw this in the cinema. Tremendous, despite the annoying cunt rustling his sweets from start to finish. Pretty close to perfect. The pacing in particular was just perfect not a single scene that dragged. 

5/5

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

Shit comedy in which a recently released patient from a psychiatric hospital decides to kidnap an actress and attempts to make her fall in love with him, which obviously she does. How does he do this? By assaulting her, getting her high and holding her captive, obviously. Pure unadulterated shite. Avoid. 

0/5

The Old Guard

Liked it a bit more than most on here; perhaps having no preconceptions helped. It had a low budget air - let's go to Paris (an abandoned chateau), let's go to London (a field in Surrey) - but Theron carried it and I liked the premise. I actually agree with a lot of the criticisms, although I must add that the hoodysuit baddie was awful, but despite all this the time went in fast and I like that it left room for the viewer to fill in the gaps.

3/5

On 21/07/2020 at 14:54, lolly said:

Last action hero

I, like a lot of other people, didn't get LAH originally, I thought it was playing it straight and the kid was annoying. Rewatched it over the weekend and have a bit of a different opinion, the entire premise and how they send up 80s action movies is beautifully on the nose. None of that would be possible without Arnold being so willing to send up his own image so completely. Some of the visual gags are fantastic and there's some great supporting characters, including Danny devitos cat...

It loses some steam in the last half hour as they change location but overall it's a decent action comedy that's well worth the time.

I watched this movie so much back in the 90's, I loved it precisely because of what you say.

The Business - 1/5

A vile mockney shit-stain of a film. Wouldn’t have surprised me to learn if it was adapted from the diary of a 12 year-old that had just watched Lock Stock and only ever read Men Only.

The Prestige - 4/5

Gets better with every watch. I love the playfulness of the film basically showing its hand in plain sight multiple times, leaving breadcrumbs for the viewer before the reveals. It’s a masterful use of the medium to recreate something normally seen on a stage.

The Silence of the Lambs - 4/5

Haven’t watched it for a few years, but remains a game changer for modern thrillers. Sir Anthony Hopkins’ original performance hasn’t been diminished even after almost 30 years of nods, parody and sequels. Noticed a bit of Ledger’s Joker in some moments, and Hopkins has influenced many, many other screen villains. Foster is his equal, giving an altogether different performance but one upon which the film can also hang. Damn impressive.

9 hours ago, glb said:

The Business - 1/5

A vile mockney shit-stain of a film. Wouldn’t have surprised me to learn if it was adapted from the diary of a 12 year-old that had just watched Lock Stock and only ever read Men Only.

:lol:

Excellent summation - I watched it recently and it really is utter dreck.

Millennium Actress 5/5

An elderly reclusive actress recounts her past to a documentary crew, but history and film roles start blurring into one. This is a stunning love letter to Japanese cinema by anime legend Satoshi Kon. It’s every bit as good as Perfect Blue and Paprika. Can’t believe I waited so long to watch this. Such a tragedy that we lost Kon at such a young age, as he’s left a pretty faultless filmography behind him.

12 hours ago, Boothjan said:

:lol:

Excellent summation - I watched it recently and it really is utter dreck.

I hoped for some hilarious escapism a la Green Street. Feel well mugged off!

The Fighter

I love a good boxing movie. Bale and Walhberg come across well and the matches are pretty good though the punches look off sometimes like they are lacking power or too slow. Small quibble though, definitely worth a watch.

4/5

1 hour ago, glb said:

I hoped for some hilarious escapism a la Green Street. Feel well mugged off!

I watched Green Street 2 earlier. I would like to apologise to Danny Dyer for slagging off The Business, as it looks like The Godfather in comparison.

Green Street 2 may well be the worst film I have ever seen. And I've seen Noah and He's Just Not That Into You.