Jump to content
IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5


Raoull duke
 Share

Recommended Posts

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - 4/5.

 

The first film surprised me by how decent it was, and this one is even better. It's full of clichés and corny dialogue, but the story and setting are very interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kerraig UK said:


I watched 2001 on video 3 times and always proudly screamed about how overrated it is.

Saw it at the national theatre with John Williams and an Orchestra doing the score live to the picture and realised immediately that it was the greatest cinematic achievement of all time except maybe Apocalypse Now. 

Cinema. For FUCK sake.

I saw it in Hull in 1995. I was on an abortive attempt at a degree there. It was a smaller place that showed artier films so it wasn't huge but it was big enough to get that sense of scale and awe. Last time I saw the film was when my brother bought it for me on DVD in about 2002 and frankly it just wasn't the same, even on headphones in a dark room. I rarely managed to get to the cinema pre-Covid but nothing has touched that experience for me since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

 

This was much better. A tighter plot and cast. I didn't trust Uncle Charlie from the moment he arrived at his sister's family home, and his behaviour towards his eldest niece was proper cringey. I did feel sorry for little Ann though, as every time she tried to talk no one would listen to her :lol: and the mum was properly annoying.

 

4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, wev said:

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

 

This was much better. A tighter plot and cast. I didn't trust Uncle Charlie from the moment he arrived at his sister's family home, and is behaviour towards his eldest niece was proper cringey. I did feel sorry for little Ann though, as every time she tried to talk no one would listen to her :lol: and the mum was properly annoying.

 

4/5

And here we fucking go... 

This is the most exciting journey to happen to rllmuk in years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mike S said:

 

 

Never mind the end section being perfect, the whole film is perfect, at least it is in its theatrical cut. Ironically, 'The Version You've Never Seen'/ Authors Cut (Friedkin was opposed to the new edit as he considered his 1973 version to be definitive, but the scenes were studio pushed and approved by Blatty) is some way less than perfect though as there are a few added scenes that add nothing and are actively detrimental to the movie - most notably the awful, context and reaction free, 'spider walk' scene but also the various demon faces superimposed on a few random objects.

 

The intro is significant and important. It not only introduces Merrin but it also shows his first exposure to Pazuzu and the moment he starts on his path to becoming an exorcist but also telegraphs his death at the hands of the demon. He is literally facing the evil that that will eventually destroy him and you can see that in his face - he knows this is his destiny. One of my favourite scenes is right after that intro, when they cut to Chris and Regan in the basement of their house and we see Regan just completing a little papier mache figure of a bird with outstretched wings that was unknown to her a representation of the statue of Pazuzu that Merrin had just been seen confronting. Captain Howdy was already subtly guiding her hand. Such a quiet passing moment of horror.


The Exorcist is the Greatest Film.

Are you Mark Kermode?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - 4/5.

 

The first film surprised me by how decent it was, and this one is even better. It's full of clichés and corny dialogue, but the story and setting are very interesting.

It’s an excellent series of films 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bloodshot

 

I mean, don't watch the trailer because it is the film.

 

That said, this was absolute stupidity at its most mediocre. I enjoyed it, but I'm not entirely sure why. It's action isn't that good, the acting is sub-F&F, the special effects are ropey and...I dunno...it kinda just happens.

 

But we enjoyed it. Especially the action sequence that was set in London but, if you've ever seen London in almost any other film or especially in person, was quite clearly not shot there.

 

1990s/5

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paths of Glory

I was expecting some grandiose, beardy plot I'd really have to focus my TV-addled mind to keep up with, but it was actually really straightforward and only 1.5hrs long. Very much Blackadder Goes Forth vibes with the comical madness of war, honour, etc, but played more straight and a much bigger budget. Kirk Douglas and George MacCready are brilliantly convincing as protagonist/antagonist.  Wow, I just learned that was Kubrick's wife at the end. I think the only woman in whole the film? Also surprised to see Dr. Eldon Tyrell in it.

 

Would watch again, 4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and I'm really not sure how to rate it. I thought it was a masterpiece until Harrison Ford came into it, and everything after that was a heap of shite. He wasn't even playing Deckard, he was just phoning it in, playing Harrison Ford in grumpy, casual clothes mode. So maybe 3.5/5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rising Storm (1989)

Hugely-enjoyable post-apocalyptic adventure set in an America ruled by a fascist evangelist. Two brothers get involved with sisters who are on the hunt for evidence of a revolutionary figure thought to be a myth. The humour in this is spot-on, the tone firmly tongue-in-cheek, playful, with a nod to satire. Despite what was probably a lower budget there is tons of detail everywhere creating a rich world through signage, costumes, little things going on in the background or on screens and touches here and there. John Rhys Davis looks like he was having a blast as the arsehole commander seeking the outlaws, especially in one scene where he comes across what he believes an 'anti-personnel device'. The leads are likeable and I found myself rooting for them. Well worth a watch.

 

4/5

 

 

vlcsnap-2020-07-19-17h14m12s935.png

 

I just went to put my review on Letterboxed and, jeez, what a bunch of miserable bastards. Apparently this is lazy and cheap. They clearly need to be watching more films then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2020 at 19:42, sandman said:

Are you Mark Kermode?

 

 

More Mike Commode than Mark Kermode sadly, but nobody throws even the lightest of shade at The Exorcist. Not on my watch...

 

It is my favourite film ever and one that I can watch and watch and still have goosebumps every single time. I also own two artworks inspired by the Best Film Of All Time as I do not mess about when it comes to fanboyism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Old Guard - 2/5

 

It’s not too bad, just a bit flat in between some quite chaotic action. Also, despite the Dolby Vision, feels pretty low-rent in places, with some budget locations undermining any sense of scale. Generally a watchable cast though and is a pretty inoffensive two hours overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vimster said:

Rising Storm (1989)

Hugely-enjoyable post-apocalyptic adventure set in an America ruled by a fascist evangelist. Two brothers get involved with sisters who are on the hunt for evidence of a revolutionary figure thought to be a myth. The humour in this is spot-on, the tone firmly tongue-in-cheek, playful, with a nod to satire. Despite what was probably a lower budget there is tons of detail everywhere creating a rich world through signage, costumes, little things going on in the background or on screens and touches here and there. John Rhys Davis looks like he was having a blast as the arsehole commander seeking the outlaws, especially in one scene where he comes across what he believes an 'anti-personnel device'. The leads are likeable and I found myself rooting for them. Well worth a watch.

 

4/5

 

 

vlcsnap-2020-07-19-17h14m12s935.png

 

I just went to put my review on Letterboxed and, jeez, what a bunch of miserable bastards. Apparently this is lazy and cheap. They clearly need to be watching more films then.

 

 

Never heard of Letterboxed and the first review I read starts "Film #299 of 2020" A two film a day kind of person on there huh? This film is on Youtube, will watch in the week. Cheers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)

 

I was one of the few people to see this in the cinema on it's release and as a 13 year old who was expecting more Monty Python I admit to being disappointed.

 

As an adult who has a more rounded appreciation of film I was absolutely blown away by it.    The cast is on form, the story bubbles along at a pace and the production value is visible in every single scene.   

 

Being a Gilliam film, I am not surprised to find that it had a troubled production but it does not show in the final cut.

 

A wonderful Fantasy.     5 Oliver Reeds/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

 

A good start, maybe the first third of it, special effects are great. The rest of it is shit once you realise it's just a big exercise (a rather embarrassing one) in aping another film from 1979.

 

The worst of the recent POTA films, mostly because I hate films making such massive, obvious nods and winks to other films, it is totally sad.

 

2/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

 

A good start, maybe the first third of it, special effects are great. The rest of it is shit once you realise it's just a big exercise (a rather embarrassing one) in aping another film from 1979.

 

The worst of the recent POTA films, mostly because I hate films making such massive, obvious nods and winks to other films, it is totally sad.

 

2/5

I never even made it to the end 

 

Wolf Creek 2

 

This ups the ante a bit from the first film. A bigger budget is evident and it is a very effective sequel. It’s not as good as either the first film or season one of the tv show, but I still found it incredibly interesting. 
 

4/5

 

Dont Breathe 

 

This excellent thriller would have got 5/5 but it flunks it a bit in the last 10 minutes where Lang is basically as tough as a Terminator. Shame really as the cast are all first rate and it is a great idea for a film.

 

4/5

 

Den of Thieves

 

What happens if you remake Heat but take away Mann and add Butler? You get this perfectly serviceable but entirely derivative film. I like Butler, but Pacino he ain’t. Not bad, but not worth seeking out.

 

2.5/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2020 at 20:08, Mike S said:

 

 

More Mike Commode than Mark Kermode sadly, but nobody throws even the lightest of shade at The Exorcist. Not on my watch...

 

It is my favourite film ever and one that I can watch and watch and still have goosebumps every single time. I also own two artworks inspired by the Best Film Of All Time as I do not mess about when it comes to fanboyism.

You did see the score I gave it right?

 

I started watching the 25th anniversary documentary that Kermode did.  He looks so young!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, englishbob said:

War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

 

A good start, maybe the first third of it, special effects are great. The rest of it is shit once you realise it's just a big exercise (a rather embarrassing one) in aping another film from 1979.

 

The worst of the recent POTA films, mostly because I hate films making such massive, obvious nods and winks to other films, it is totally sad.

 

2/5

 

It definitely is the weakest of the three films, and from what I remember if it, I'd agree that its first section was its strongest. But overall I liked it a lot more than you did - IMO there's not a huge spread in quality between the three new Apes movies.

 

As for the references to that 1979 war film: I don't think there's anything wrong with taking the basic story/structure of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now and transplanting it into a sci-fi post-apocalyptic setting. (Second thoughts, the time when War is set is not quite post-apocalyptic yet. Let's call it... Now-Apocalyptic? ;))

 

I wouldn't complain about a film taking its basic structure from a classic, and putting it in a new setting and aiming it at a different audience. I mean, one of the most famous reused stories in cinema history is Seven Samurai -> The Magnificent Seven -> A Bug's Life.

 

But the risk is when a film makes direct on-screen references to the story it's swiping from - especially if it's something that has been referenced countless times before. Whenever a homage is too blatant or a reference is extended too long, there's a risk that anyone who is familiar with the original source will quickly begin to find it tedious: "OK, I get what you're doing, ha ha very amusing, now please move onto something original." For a lot of people, War For the Planet of the Apes crossed that line.

 

 

Also worth noting that in 2017, there was another blockbuster movie about primates that made a lot of references to Apocalypse Now:

 

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/kong-skull-island-director-i-wanted-to-see-apocalypse-now-with-king-kong/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandman said:

You did see the score I gave it right?

 

I started watching the 25th anniversary documentary that Kermode did.  He looks so young!!

 

I did see your score.

 

Which, of course, was the correct score even if your working out was wrong.

 

:quote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.