Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Continuing our Vietnam War week...

Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

I love this film, despite the decidedly dodgy moustaches.

Apocalypse Now (1979)

My first watch of this since I saw the Redux maybe 10 years ago. This was 'The Final Cut', which sadly still includes some of the French plantation stuff, but it's just a completely immersive experience, magnificent.

Next up: Full Metal Jacket

Mandy 5/5

Commando, sante Sangre, German expressionism, mad max, after hours, near dark, twin peaks, Alan Wake, running with the devil, Tina Turner’s bit in Tommy, hellraiser Ong bak, American gothic, and LSD.

not bad...

Skyscraper

Dwayne Johnson does Die Hard meets Towering Inferno. The twist being he has one prosthetic leg.

Duringan early scene where he's being shown the fancy new building in China there's a bit where our hero is in a giant room and a load of mirror/video screens come out of the floor. My eyes almost rolled out of my skull as it couldn't be more obvious that we're getting a mirror room climax. And we did. And it wasnt very good.

A generous 2/5.

On 17/06/2020 at 00:51, kerraig UK said:

Little Murders
Dir: Alan Arkin

1970's NYC is my favourite era of cinema. And in lockdown I've been trawling through, trying to find hidden gems I hadn't seen. And holy fucking shit this one was the motherload. Elliot Gould and Donald Sutherland star in a movie that is essentially Annie Hall meets Day of the Jackal. (no seriously). 

I've never seen anything like it, and I don't know how it's not considered a stone cold big apple classic. The whole film is on YouTube and it is every bit the equal to Annie Hall or Taxi Driver. 

There is a cameo from Director Alan Arkin that is very much the progeny of Bill Murray, Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell. It's clearly influenced by Peter Sellers, but it's glorious to see this forgotten masterpiece and how it informed American slapstick comedy. (Skip to 2:30)

You can see the Arkin performance here

Just watch it. I was absolutely blown away.

5/5

This is certainly a curio, I enjoyed it a lot but I wasn’t wild about it. Certainly worth the recco so cheers for that. Amidst some cracking performances the real star of the show for me was the parent’s apartment.

I do have a bit of a problem with films that are adapted from plays but effectively seek to stage the film in much the same form as you would a play, and this is a case in point I think. It drips of the theatre.

The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 - 5/5

This is on MUBI, and a must watch if you have access to the service. It’s essentially a collection of interviews and news footage around the US black power movement as filmed by a variety of Swedish news crews, with some contemporary voices adding context.

As nicely as it’s been put together, it’s just the incredible collection of footage that makes this film, a really powerful documentary.

The Exorcist (1973)

There are better-informed heads out there who can talk about the place in cinema for this, but for me it's very special, and that's coming from an atheist. Compared to other similar occult horror from the 70s this has so much more than the spectacle that has endured. In fact now I'm in my 40s this feels even richer, Father Karras and Chris have their issues their figurative demons, Regan's possession is a catalyst. For me in some ways the pop culture assimilation of The Exorcist slightly ruined this rewatch for me, hearing lines like "the power of Christ compels you!" and "your mother sucks cocks in hell!" are so over done elsewhere they sound almost like a parody here even though they're the original. Thankfully it doesn't take away from what is, for me, still a great film which still has the power to shock.

4.5/5

Justice League (2017)

I've said it before but superhero films for me are pure entertainment, I don't have any interest in how well they stick to the comics or whether they offer fan service. Do they deliver spectacle and have good battling evil in sexy costumes? Whilst this one doesn't do anything new and feels very familiar, it's no less exciting, with plenty of flash and people getting thrown against stone walls so hard bits fly everywhere - bits of stone I mean. It's got to the point in my life where I know the baddie is getting his just desserts, it's how he gets them, and how far down the goodies go that creates the intrigue. And that's where this film gets let down. Steppenwolf comes in with all the requisite swagger but there was never a point where I felt the League were up against it. Plus I'm not sure if this was deliberate but Superman's participation in the finale felt like America's in WW2: turns up late, does a bit of fighting and takes a load of credit. Kudos to the writers if they were going for that gag.

3/5

The Kitchen

The wives of New York gangsters in Hell's Kitchen in the 1970s continue to operate their husbands' rackets after they're locked up in prison.

Based on a DC comic /graphic novel it's a bit of a twist on the  up and coming mobsters thing. Unfortunately despite some good performances  from the cast it kinda loses its way about half way through, at no point does it seem like the success the women are having has been sufficiently earned(apart from one) and the 2nd half felt weirdly flat despite the stakes being raised.

It's 1 hour 42 minutes which is  not overly long but about 1/2 hour from the end we were wondering how long was left as it started to drag.

2.5/5

Extraction (2020)

First off, it turns out that there's a Bruce Willis film of the same name that we watched ten minutes of, wondering when Chris Hemsworth was going to appear. He doesn't.

As for the film we meant to watch... It's not great, not terrible.

The action is really enjoyable, and it's pretty much all action, and the acting does the job. But the plot is nothing we haven't seen a thousand times before and there wasn't any real tension or intrigue, so not much in the way of a reason to watch it.

3/5

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

A film almost as long as its title.  Only 13 years late to this one.  Thumbs up from me.  Love Deakins’s work, and Nick Cave’s soundtrack is a thing of beauty.

4/5

Perpetrators Of The Crime (2000)

The cover for this has a fake quote promising "Quentin Tarantino-style non-stop action and suspense", What you actually get is a mildly-amusing Canadian comedy about some students who make a balls-up of kidnapping the daughter of some rich guy. It irritated more than it amused, felt too long at 85 minutes.

2/5

Beastie Boys Story

Dir: Spike Jonze

Dear god in heaven I fucking HATED this. A self aggrandising back slapping 2 hours of whitewashed douchebaggery and cringe inducing theatrics. Its basically an episode of this is your life where they didn't get invited onto the show so they decided to do it themselves. 

I'm a big Beasties fan but after this I like than a whole lot less.

Borderline unbearable.

1/5

Brave

Watchable, but a fairly dull and average Pixar film. Not sure my 4yo son liked it enough to watch it again so doubt I'll be back for more. Disappointed as someone recommended it to us and was raving about it being brilliant and I'm not sure why. As far as recent Disney films focusing on strong female leads go, Moana is better on every level.

3/5

Begun my watch of all the Terminator films has

The Terminator 

I cant think of anything to say about that this that hasn’t been said before EXCEPT I’m pretty sure the reason the cowgirl sexual position is my favourite is entirely the fault of this film. ( I watched it pretty much monthly when I was 15)

5/5

T2: Judgement Day

Im sure a few forumites place this in their all time top 20. I’ve definitely cooled on it in recent years. Furlong is awful, as is Mrs Dighton and the script is very poor in places. The action, however, is pure amaze as are the special effects (it remains the only film I’ve seen at the cinema where people clapped at the SFX).

4.5/5

Terminator 3 ROTM

Ive always been a fan of this despite Stahl being completely wrong for the part ( may I take a second here to recommend the brilliant Carnivale where Stahl is completely right for the part) and the fact that the T1s look like a slightly meaner Metal Mickey. Some absolutely amazing action scenes and my third favourite car chase of all time.

4/5

right, that’s half them out of the way. I’ve not seen the new one yet, so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up.

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

A Personal History of David Copperfield (2020, Armando Iannucci)

"A funny and vibrant take on a Dickens' Classic" - TV Times, probably.

5/5

What did you watch it on?

14 minutes ago, sandman said:

Terminator 3 ROTM

Ive always been a fan of this despite Stahl being completely wrong for the part ( may I take a second here to recommend the brilliant Carnivale where Stahl is completely right for the part) and the fact that the T1s look like a slightly meaner Metal Mickey. Some absolutely amazing action scenes and my third favourite car chase of all time.

4/5

Reading this makes me wonder if I should give it another shot.  I love the first two, and saw the third at the cinema at release.  I hated it so much I’ve never watched any of the other Terminator films.

The Endless (2017)

Two survivors from a UFO death cult receive a mysterious tape in the post and go back to the cult. Can't really say any more without spoiling it except this was an intriguing cosmic horror tale that reveals itself slowly and subtly.  

4/5

Hereditary

Normally, I try to do a proper mini write up for these things but this film was complete and utter shite so can't be bothered. The 'teenage' son looked about 30 and I am so incredibly over witches always being portrayed as evil, scheming bastards.

1 Cute Miniature House Model out of 5

Waterworld

I don't understand why this was panned at the time. Wasn't half bad. I mean it was dumb as fuck, but in the way that films like this should be. Denis Hopper was tremendous in it, right up there with Raul Julia as M. Bison in terms of completely over-the-top, fun villains. 

4/5

3 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Waterworld

I don't understand why this was panned at the time. Wasn't half bad. I mean it was dumb as fuck, but in the way that films like this should be. Denis Hopper was tremendous in it, right up there with Raul Julia as M. Bison in terms of completely over-the-top, fun villains. 

4/5

It read the room wrong. Just as CGI dinosaurs were awakening our imagination the last thing anyone wanted to go see was a wet dystopian Mad Mackerel.

Full Metal Jacket

I love the duality of this film. The intense training and drills which really are meaningless when it actually comes to it.

The Deer Hunter

This is a safe space, right? I just didn't get on with this, at all. The wedding scene just wouldn't end. The Russian roulette scenes felt silly. It just didn't feel 'real' to me and I was frequently bored.

Vietnam War week is over. We're going to watch The Sinner and then watch The Godfather trilogy, which I was shocked to learn the wife had never seen. Ratings btw will be 4, 5 and 2. Possibly.

Sunshine

Danny Boyle's best film. I've not watched it in years, but recently picked it up on blu-ray so decided to give it another watch.

A bunch of scientists go to the sun to drop a bomb which will hopefully reignite it saving everyone on Earth. Bizarrely it appears to make sense, they even have Professor Brian Cox on the blu-ray talking about the science behind it, so that makes a change for Hollywood. A good cast including Michelle Yeoh, Chris Evans and Cillian Murtphy. Some stunning looking effects. Some would say it falls apart a little in the final act, but I enjoyed it, apart from the weird way it's being shot. Highly recommended.

5/5

The Core

On the other end of the science we have The Core which is complete bobbins. It was on TV this weekend and I was in a vegetive state so couldn't be bothered to change the channel. Special effects that look like they're from a SyFy Original Movie, terrible script and scientifically it makes no sense. The only reason it doesn't get 0 is because Stanley Tucci is in it and is cealrly having a ball.

1/5

9 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Hereditary

Normally, I try to do a proper mini write up for these things but this film was complete and utter shite so can't be bothered. The 'teenage' son looked about 30 and I am so incredibly over witches always being portrayed as evil, scheming bastards.

1 Cute Miniature House Model out of 5

Glad I'm not the only who didn't like Hereditary. A boring film that finally gets good in the last 15 minutes, then it ends. It's why I've not bothered with Midsommar yet.

6 minutes ago, Gambit said:

1/5

Glad I'm not the only who didn't like Hereditary. A boring film that finally gets good in the last 15 minutes, then it ends. It's why I've not bothered with Midsommar yet.

I'm literally the opposite way round. I thought it was good and really tense in the first half but from that 'scene' onwards it falls directly into horror tropes. I hated the ending, it was dumb as shit.

Blade Runner 2049

My wife hates sci-fi but as it was Father's Day the veto didn't work. It was the first time I'd seen it since the cinema (when I saw it VERY tired due to our baby at the time) so I was interested how it would play out. Visually and aurally it was as spectacular as I remembered and Deakins' cinematography is up there with the best ever. Story/plot wise I appreciated it more this time and there were a few points I'd totally missed along with some nice little bits of character detail I hadn't picked up. I still think the pacing is a little off, lingering on some areas a bit too long while whipping through some major beats a little too fast, and overall I do think the runtime is a bit long. Maybe 15-20 minutes shorter would make it that bit tighter, more accessible and easier to fit into an evening. But tonally it is absolutely spot on and for me just knits the world of Blade Runner and Alien even more closely together (it's official now isn't it?).

4/5

I'm also even more excited about Dune now :omg:

A Hidden Life 3.5/5

I haven’t seen much Malick, but this one took my fancy so thought I’d give it a go. I’m really not one to complain about film lengths (in fact I often find that criticism tedious), but this is a three hour film, and there is definitely a two hour five star film hiding in there. Some great bits, but it meanders like hell.

Rented this in 4K on iTunes, and it’s eye blisteringly beautiful.

On 20/06/2020 at 18:26, ZOK said:

This is certainly a curio, I enjoyed it a lot but I wasn’t wild about it. Certainly worth the recco so cheers for that. Amidst some cracking performances the real star of the show for me was the parent’s apartment.

I do have a bit of a problem with films that are adapted from plays but effectively seek to stage the film in much the same form as you would a play, and this is a case in point I think. It drips of the theatre.

Its so cool you watched it. I guess I'm just so wild about it because i'd never even heard of it and there's so much good stuff in there. That ending really did get me good though. 

it is very stagey, but its also very effortlessly enjoyable.