Jump to content

Rate the last film you watched out of 5


Raoull duke
 Share

Recommended Posts

Da 5 Bloods

 

A Spike Lee Joint, which is to say I was watching it thinking, oh this is quite well shot... if strangely at times. But the story and characterisation just constantly had me thinking: really? Will give it another try was absolutely smashed when I watched it. But yeah not that impressed by it. 

 

3/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Da 5 Bloods

 

A Spike Lee Joint, which is to say I was watching it thinking, oh this is quite well shot... if strangely at times. But the story and characterisation just constantly had me thinking: really? Will give it another try was absolutely smashed when I watched it. But yeah not that impressed by it. 

 

3/5


I am absolutely convinced that it is total rubbish. But i'm being shouted down by people who thing its rude to say so in the current climate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ckny said:

We're doing a week of Vietnam War movies, starting with Platoon which I gave 4/5. Born on the Fourth of July is next on the menu.


Have you seen Hamburger Hill? That could be my favourite in a very crowded field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ckny said:

We're doing a week of Vietnam War movies, starting with Platoon which I gave 4/5. Born on the Fourth of July is next on the menu.

 

Its boring to say Apocalypse now, but if you haven't seen it it is the best film ever made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Early on during Da 5 Bloods I was convinced it was incredibly ham-fisted, hokey and convenient. Then something happened and I had a little revelation where I realised it was this bombastic adventure movie (but with something to say), and I totally settled into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sabreman said:

Early on during Da 5 Bloods I was convinced it was incredibly ham-fisted, hokey and convenient. Then something happened and I had a little revelation where I realised it was this bombastic adventure movie (but with something to say), and I totally settled into it.


Yep I sort of fell into it too. It never quite settled into greatness for me in the way I wanted it to, but it defo blindsided me.

Have you sat back and watched Summer of Sam again in this way? Cos in my mind that is a masterpiece that did a similar thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

 

Its boring to say Apocalypse now, but if you haven't seen it it is the best film ever made.

 

I saw Redux way back when and was bored to tears quite honestly. I’m trying to find the theatrical cut on the high seas as only a ‘Final Cut’ seems to be available to rent/buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ckny said:

 

I saw Redux way back when and was bored to tears quite honestly. I’m trying to find the theatrical cut on the high seas as only a ‘Final Cut’ seems to be available to rent/buy.

Redux is a self indulgent mess.

Its weird, growing up there were 2 films I never really connected with. 2001 and Apocalypse Now.

Now that i've been through all sorts of shit, they are far and away the best films ever made to me. I'm not sure how or when or why the transition happened, but despite all my favourite films, none of them come close to these two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/06/2020 at 20:42, the_debaser said:

Midnight Cowboy - hiding away in Netflix, I hadn’t seen this in years. Dustin Hoffman puts in a virtuoso performance. 
 

5/5. 

 

On 16/06/2020 at 21:04, ilpostino said:

Midnight Run

 

A fantastic buddy action/comedy movie with good performances throughout. A lot of fun.

 

4/5


Midnight Special - 4/5

 

I love a bit of Michael Shannon and you will too in this top flight piece of sci-fi entertainment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ckny said:

I saw Redux way back when and was bored to tears quite honestly. I’m trying to find the theatrical cut on the high seas as only a ‘Final Cut’ seems to be available to rent/buy.

 

If you didn't like Redux, don't bother with the Final Cut. It's not much better. Theatrical version all the way. Although it's a bit shit you can't rent the theatrical version. Didn't realise that. Luckily, I snapped up the 4K special edition which has every version.

 

I'm with @kerraig UK on this one. It might just be one of the best movies ever made. It's not a film you watch, it's a film you lose yourself in. The atmosphere, the surreal set pieces, the lunacy of the Vietnam war and war in general. It's amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Son Of Saul (2015)

 

Interesting one, this.

 

The basic plot is: the titular Saul is a Hungarian Jew Sonderkommando in a Nazi concentration camp. Sonderkommandos were prisoners who were used to do a lot of the dirty work by the Nazis, in exchange for better food, accommodation and treatment, as well as the understanding that they wouldn't be killed anytime soon. He encounters the body of his son and spends the rest of the film in an obsessional quest to find a Rabbi to help him give his son a decent burial. Slight spoilers, but it's a good way into the film before he explicitly says it's his son and he's immediately told that he doesn't have a son. But the point is that he's determined to get the child a decent burial.

 

What makes the film really interesting is that (almost) the entirety of the film has Saul's head and shoulders as the entire focus of the frame. So, while there's a lot going on throughout, you don't actually see most of it. You hear it, you know what's going on, you just don't get explicitly shown it. You actually get shown that whole of the process of the holocaust - the transports arriving, the victims being told to strip, the gas chambers, the "pieces" being transported to the furnaces, the cremations and the transport and disposal of the ashes. All this happens onscreen, but it's in the background while you're being shown what's going on with Saul. You just get shown what's happening with and to Saul and his reaction to it all. It's not even like you see events from his point of view, you just see Saul.

 

It may sound odd, but it's fantastically shot. The guy who plays Saul (Géza Röhrig, evidently) is brilliant in the role and is utterly believable as a man in a horrendous situation, trying to do one thing to retain some humanity. I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but the version I watched didn't have subtitles for every bit of dialogue, but it's shown a couple of times that Saul doesn't speak German particularly well and that the prisoners speak a number of languages, so it makes sense in the context. 

 

It's a fascinating film and not as harrowing as it sounds, though it's sill not an easy watch. Pretty hard to fault - great plot and acting, really well shot... I was gripped throughout.

 

Another 5/5 for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Son Of Saul (2015)

 

Interesting one, this.

 

The basic plot is: the titular Saul is a Hungarian Jew Sonderkommando in a Nazi concentration camp. Sonderkommandos were prisoners who were used to do a lot of the dirty work by the Nazis, in exchange for better food, accommodation and treatment, as well as the understanding that they wouldn't be killed anytime soon. He encounters the body of his son and spends the rest of the film in an obsessional quest to find a Rabbi to help him give his son a decent burial. Slight spoilers, but it's a good way into the film before he explicitly says it's his son and he's immediately told that he doesn't have a son. But the point is that he's determined to get the child a decent burial.

 

What makes the film really interesting is that (almost) the entirety of the film has Saul's head and shoulders as the entire focus of the frame. So, while there's a lot going on throughout, you don't actually see most of it. You hear it, you know what's going on, you just don't get explicitly shown it. You actually get shown that whole of the process of the holocaust - the transports arriving, the victims being told to strip, the gas chambers, the "pieces" being transported to the furnaces, the cremations and the transport and disposal of the ashes. All this happens onscreen, but it's in the background while you're being shown what's going on with Saul. You just get shown what's happening with and to Saul and his reaction to it all. It's not even like you see events from his point of view, you just see Saul.

 

It may sound odd, but it's fantastically shot. The guy who plays Saul (Géza Röhrig, evidently) is brilliant in the role and is utterly believable as a man in a horrendous situation, trying to do one thing to retain some humanity. I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but the version I watched didn't have subtitles for every bit of dialogue, but it's shown a couple of times that Saul doesn't speak German particularly well and that the prisoners speak a number of languages, so it makes sense in the context. 

 

It's a fascinating film and not as harrowing as it sounds, though it's sill not an easy watch. Pretty hard to fault - great plot and acting, really well shot... I was gripped throughout.

 

Another 5/5 for me. 

Its not accidental. You're as accessible as he is throughout. I've seen it in various languages and the lack of translation is very much deliberate.

Few films are genuine masterpieces. Son of Saul is an out and out masterpiece. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Underwater

 

This sort of movie feels a bit of a rarity these days, and I quite liked Life, so I thought to give this a go.

 

Good:

- Creature design was alright

- good performance from Kristen Stewart

- nice HDR lighting and visual direction in places, esp toward the end
- suit designs were nice


Struggling for air:

- despite the short running time, felt slow and dull in what was a flabby middle c.60mins - partly a function of;

- dull characters

- too much of the premise being setup off camera

 

cool

 

not-Cthulhu reveal at the end though

 

2/5

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blown Away

 

Say what now? Don't worry if you've never heard of this one either. I am a sucker for bomb disposal movies so really enjoyed this despite the fact that

 

a) its entirely predictable

b) theres some right dodgy Irish accents

c) Hollywood yet again fails to understand The Troubles on even the most basic level

 

And its nice to see Whittaker and Bridges before they got old and grumpy.

 

3/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aladdin (live action) 4/5

 

I think my score is partially because I'm not familiar with the animated version at all. I've seen it in parts, and maybe once all the way through. 

 

For most of this version I kept saying, NOW the videogame makes sense, because that's what I saw: the levels of the video game (SNES version).

 

 

Yesterday 3/5

 

not bad, could have done without 

 

Spoiler

Robert Carlyle

 

it really spoke to me that James Corden was in the 

 

Spoiler

nightmare sequence

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Beastmaster - A nostaligic 5/10

 

I used to love this film as a kid and found it while flicking through Amazon Prime this afternoon on a rainy day off work.  The acting is terrible but hey ho still glad I watched it.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Blown Away

 

Say what now? Don't worry if you've never heard of this one either. I am a sucker for bomb disposal movies so really enjoyed this despite the fact that

 

a) its entirely predictable

b) theres some right dodgy Irish accents

c) Hollywood yet again fails to understand The Troubles on even the most basic level

 

And its nice to see Whittaker and Bridges before they got old and grumpy.

 

3/5


All I remember about Blown Away was someone falling towards an explosion rather than falling away from it. Does that happen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:


All I remember about Blown Away was someone falling towards an explosion rather than falling away from it. Does that happen?

Ooh, I don't recall that

 

anyway

 

Alive

 

I knew there was a reason why I never watched this back in the 90s. That's because its shit. Cack handed direction, performances that (Hawke aside) would embarrass most primary school productions. I cant think of anything to recommend it.

 

1/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The King of Staten Island (2020)

 

I really liked this. It was funny, touching and really well acted. I really enjoyed Davidson central performance too and his character wasn't how I was expecting it to be at all. I think drawing from his real life experience really helped that. From the ones I've seen I'd say it's definitely my favourite Apatow directed film. My only criticism would be that it's a little too long, there's definitely some fat that needed trimming.

 

4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warriors Of The Year 2072 aka The New Gladiators (1984)

Lucio Fulci goes full-on future death-sport SF. A little bit Rollerball, a little bit Bladerunner, a mash-up of the future and ancient Rome. Was The Running Man a combination of the Stephen King novella and a few viewings of this? Who can say. It starts off with some strong scene-setting and whilst the middle of the film is a bit of of a mess the final motorcycle-and-nu-chariot finale was thrilling, if consisting of some rather hard-to-follow action. The whole film is drenched in starburst lens-flare and soft-focus, prime Italian cinematography. Riz Ortolani provides the perfect mid-80s soundtrack. It does get daft in places and it never quite manages to maintain a consistent tone, it is style over comprehensibility.

 

3/5

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.