Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Heat

Been a while since I'd seen it, and it's clear there was a lot of coke flying around the set during filming, especially where Pacino is concerned. But it's a really great cops 'n' robbers movie, with one hell of a cast. 

5 out of 5.

On 28/01/2020 at 23:18, kerraig UK said:

Oh man I love Color of Money. Its all about the arrogance of youth vs the regrets of old age. It's really subtle rather than grandiose but it's so consistently entertaining and gently manipulative that I think it's a real misunderstood gem.

Hey I'm new here, but this Kerraig fellow seems like a pretty cool and happening guy!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Heat

Been a while since I'd seen it, and it's clear there was a lot of coke flying around the set during filming, especially where Pacino is concerned. But it's a really great cops 'n' robbers movie, with one hell of a cast. 

5 out of 5.

I now need to rewatch this.

Such a great film.

Weathering With You (2019)

So I'm absolutely gutted that I found this film to be a disappointment. Makoto Shinkai's follow up to Your Name really fails to hit the heights of its predecessor. Maybe it's unfair to compare what I consider to be a masterpiece of the genre to this but it's hard not to look for and want more after he created such a great piece of cinema with Your Name.

It's safe to say the animation and music for this is stunning, if there's one area of his films that Shinkai has nailed, it's these. There were parts which I thought were excellent in this film and really hit me hard, but they were few and far between. My main disappointment with this lies from a character and storytelling aspect.

This movie presents Shinkai with a fantastic opportunity to say something important about runaway children, child poverty, climate change, underage sex workers and yet it all gets lost in the shuffle for favour of a basic teenage romance. The romance feels very formulaic and in keeping with other Shinkai films where a teenage boy meets & saves a cute/quirky girl and an unlikely romance is formed. A romance which by the way starts where the female lead literally needs saving by the white knight male (this also leads to bit of a rape joke later in the film too). There’s 3 other side characters, who I did like but none of their side stories gripped me all that much either. Everything they do bares no real impact on the main story whatsoever.

Outside of the storytelling I also didn’t particularly like the ending that much (again another formula that Shinkai has used in other films before) and the lead male just wasn’t that likeable either (he’s always shouting and I didn’t think the acting was all that great either). I liked the female lead and wanted her story to end well, but as far as he went, I didn’t really care.

I thought I liked this film more after I’d watched it, but as I write my thoughts out, I’ve realised that overall, I didn’t really like it all that much. A huge disappointed :(.

2/5

Yeah I totally agree. Saw this at the cinema after loving Your Name and was pretty disappointed. It looked good but I think Your Name looked better and had a better plot with a more believable romance. Also, whoever decided to subtitle the terrible emo punk songs so that you could read the toe-curling embarrassing lyrics is either a genius or masochist.

54 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Yeah I totally agree. Saw this at the cinema after loving Your Name and was pretty disappointed. It looked good but I think Your Name looked better and had a better plot with a more believable romance. Also, whoever decided to subtitle the terrible emo punk songs so that you could read the toe-curling embarrassing lyrics is either a genius or masochist.

Oh god yeah, reading the translations of those songs is painful. I really like the music and it's from the same band that did Your Name, but I don't want to read the lyrics (I've seen the awful lyrics to tracks from Your Name too). I'm happy just enjoying the music and having not idea what they mean thanks.

The Club - 4/5

Amazingly this Oz football classic from 1980 doesn’t appear on the David Stratton documentary series, which I can only assume is because they ran out of time or something. It hits all the usual ‘team do shit due to internal strife but they pull together’ beats, but is more about the hilarious personal wranglings going on behind the scenes in the changing room and boardroom. 

In short, it’s a cracker, and it’s free to stream on Prime...nice review of it here and a guide to the football of the times from the Guardian Sports: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/22/retro-film-review-the-club-is-an-australian-classic

I Am Not Your Negro (2016)

Felt very compelled to watch this with what's going on right now. Whilst its not as factual as something like '13th' it is wonderfully narrated by Samuel L Jackson, with some powerful words and videos from James Baldwin, some spanning as far back as 60 years ago and yet still it feels like nothing has changed.

In his own words..."how much time do you need for your progress?"

4/5

Manhunter

So, after watching Red Dragon the other week (and rather liking it) I thought I’d probably never get to see Manhunter ever again. But Sky One/Atlantic have been showing some interesting films since Lockdown and this was on the other night. 

My god, it’s so 80’s! Much of it looks like a music video. I thought that that the CSI bloke was nowhere near as good as Norton. Farina was miles better than Kietel though. Some scenes where much better than RD, some not so good. And I’m sorry, but while Cox is good, he’s no Hopkins. A good film, but it feels very dated.

3/5

Psycho

After watching Manhunter and Red Dragon I thought I would watch another poorly received remake before watching the original. I avoided this on release as it was savaged by most critics. I must admit that I really rather liked it. Vaughan is excellent in what’s easily his best role. Heche is also on top form, I actually preferred her performance. Moore I didn’t like at all, she’s been much better. Macy is on autopilot  as is Viggo. 

3.5/5

Life

An interesting film, not least because it’s bloody excellent and is easily  Murphy’s most overlooked film. For once, a film that’s too short rather than too long. It’s kind of a more light hearted Shawshank. A great script and some first rate performances. Lawrence has never been better.

4.5/5

Dolomite is my name

I think I really need to see this twice to properly appreciate it. Obviously it’s great, but I think I missed a lot of the subtext. Murphy is again excellent and shows that he can still put in a staggering performance 

4.5/5

Haunted Mansion

This family films goes badly off the rails about 20 minutes in. It’s an unoriginal premise but it’s interesting enough. Poorly directed, not even Stamp can save it

1,5/5

Crazy World

Really funny crazy little film from Uganda. Unlike anything I've seen before and far more entertaining than most things costing millions more. Released on YouTube as part of the We are One Global Film Festival. (Worth checking out the rest of the lineup. I'm about to put on a Trojan Records documentary).

4/5

In this freewheeling action flick from Ugandan auteur Nabwana I.G.G. and his no-budget, gonzo super-studio Wakaliwood, a gang of child-snatching mobsters known as the Tiger Mafia hatch a new scheme, premised on the idea that the kids’ blood may have supernatural properties. But they make a fatal mistake when they kidnap the Waka Stars, a team of pint-sized kung-fu masters who soon turn their cunning wits and deadly skills upon their captors. Conceived by Nabwana as a pre-emptive measure to discourage the kidnapping of his own children (seriously), Crazy World is the third Wakaliwood feature to be translated for an international release following Who Killed Captain Alex? and Bad Black, both of which earned accolades and awards at international film festivals around the globe. Featuring a raucous narration from a “video joker,” a hype-man and commentator indebted to Ugandan oral tradition, the film is a bonkers, stylistically ingenious thrill ride that must be experienced to be believed.

The Rhythm Section (2020)

Blake Lively (!) plays the daughter of a family killed in an air crash that was a terrorist attack covered up by the government. She descends into addiction and prostitution before being contacted by a journalist, picking up the trail and being trained to assassinate the people responsible- Bond/Bourne with a dash of Leon thrown in, basically.

Apparently this had a terrible box office performance and bombed but I quite enjoyed it. She fucks up more than once and almost gets herself killed but I liked the fact that she was unpolished and not naturally good at being an assassin. (As Jude Law points out early on, "you're not made for this".) She gets spotted trying to be stealthy, bottles out of a killing and generally behaves like someone far out of their depth. Her revenge is a brutal, Pyrrhic struggle.

Lively is surprisingly good although one sequence had her in a disguise that reminded me quite strongly of Philomena Cunk and jolted me out of the experience for a scene or two.

Spoiler

blake-set-social.jpg.2d631e21cdbbe6ffc8c2462695965381.jpg

3.5/5.

15 hours ago, sandman said:

Manhunter

So, after watching Red Dragon the other week (and rather liking it) I thought I’d probably never get to see Manhunter ever again. But Sky One/Atlantic have been showing some interesting films since Lockdown and this was on the other night. 

My god, it’s so 80’s! Much of it looks like a music video. I thought that that the CSI bloke was nowhere near as good as Norton. Farina was miles better than Kietel though. Some scenes where much better than RD, some not so good. And I’m sorry, but while Cox is good, he’s no Hopkins. A good film, but it feels very dated.

3/5

Unbelievable.

Shazam 4/5

successful DCU movie is successful by not being a DCU movie. Primary colours! Comedy that works! Distinct lack of grim dark!

Hoop Dreams 5/5 

Hadn’t watched this since it’s original cinema release, and couldn’t really remember much about it. But god knows how I forgot, as its simply fantastic. Surely the greatest sporting documentary film of all time. And a sadly still all too relevant examination of race divide in America.

Currently on MUBI for anyone interested. 

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Unbelievable.

Why? Do you think it doesnt look like a music video?

Is this one of your holy grails than? Fair enough if it is, but I can only think of 2 people in RL who have ever seen the film and neither of them have mentioned it in the last 25 years. Is it really that well thought of? When most fellow film fans speak to me about Mann it’s mainly in relation to Heat.

I've not seen Manhunter for a few years, and when I did it was on something like ITV4 with ads and a really crappy picture, but I still thought it looked amazing and it has that solid, hefty seriousness (for want of a better description) that Michael Mann does so well. Yes, it is very 80s, but in the best way possible with stunning framing, use of colour and epic synth on the soundtrack.

Like this:

And this:

And this:

Damn it, I'm gonna order the Blu Ray now.

RED (2010

Saw this at the cinema when it came out although this was with my then girlfriend and frankly I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. So watching this again I barely remembered anything. Frankly now I've seen it again I barely remember what I just watched. Granted the last 30 minutes or so are pretty tense and enjoyable as the tale comes together, but the lead in was the sort of action/comedy that was popular at the time, traditional action one-liners replaced by kooky dialogue with a bit of tongue-in-cheek action. It was pleasant enough but didn't touch the sides. Call me a weirdo if you must but I found Helen Mirren with a sniper rifle a bit hot. In fact the main leads did a good job of lifting this up. Didn't buy the central romance device one bit though.

3/5

Blue Jean Cop aka Shakedown (1988)

Peter Weller is a public defence lawyer who takes on the case of a drug dealer who has shot what turns out to be an undercover cop, he soon finds himself up against a group of crooked cops, makes an uneasy partnership with one of them (Sam Elliott). There's a bit of everything in here, action flick, courtroom drama, crime shenanigans, car chases. Some may find it's not enough of one to make it anything but it did come together towards the end, albeit in a haphazard fashion. Peter Weller is the perfect choice for the charming lawyer fighting the case whilst dealing with his love life. Sam Elliott has the best role, involved with the corrupt cops but unsure about where he stands. This adds some complexity to the tale. Not your average 80s video shop crime tale.

3.5/5

Fury road. For like the 6th time. 5/5. Perfection. 

midsommar 3/5. Odd. Wickermanesque. 

nebraska. 4/5. Slow and lovely. 

Godzilla (1998) 4/5

first of all, it actually features a giant radioactive lizard that could pass for godzilla, at a push. But, he changes scale so many times during the course of this film.

the boy walked in, watched Niko and Audrey in the rain, and immediately recognised it as a film by Roland Emmerich, which was mind-blowing.

Or at least he asked if it was "... Independence Day, or something end of the world-y, like that"

it's really long, too...

Furlough film club night

The vast of night. On amazon prime

Low fi indie small town America weird lights in the sky flick. Superb camera work tracks the players around nowhere ville America as dinky little radio host stumbles on the bigger picture.

This is budget filming in a grand scale. Lots of "show don't tell" it draws you in with tight tracking shots across the town as information is imparted when the director is ready to tell you.

The ending doesn't quite land the mother ship, but you should be invested enough by that point to enjoy the reveal. You've seen it before but you'll  love it anyway.

3.5 switch board connections out of 5

Molly’s Game.

Jessica Chastain runs some poker games for the rich and famous. It has less of the talkie-walkie problems Sorkin’s scripts usually have and for a directorial debut it’s pretty confident. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Captain America: Civil War 4/5

Should have been an Avengers title, an escalation of CA:TWS, but what can you do? We work with what we got...

Watchmen 3/5

Not as good as the comic, but a better Snyder movie than some of his others.

Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

We've been a run of all the current MCU movies, but in chronological order. Did the first GotG last night and it's still my favourite MCU film. Some of the banter between the characters is brilliant, I genuinely never tire of viewing this movie.

In contrast, I remember fuck all about the second one, so that should be interesting.

5 Trash Pandas out of 5

One Man Force (1989)

Okay you know the drill: cop's partner gets murdered by drug dealers, gets suspended, has arguments with his boss, always seems to be around when someone turns up dead, it's that sort of generic cop/action film. Mind you this has just enough silly to keep things entertaining, and some decent action. Charles Napier and Richard Lynch don't get to do a great deal, sadly, but John Matuszak's cop with anger issues is never boring. The music is gloriously and unapologetically of its time, stiff synth drums and wailing guitar.

3/5

Sorry We Missed You (2019)

aka Amazon Logistics: The Movie. A sensitive portrayal of a family's struggle with the gig economy, where impermanence and "flexibility" are prized by employers seeking to exploit the workforce to the hilt. Seeing the working classes turning on each other to survive was upsetting. A nauseating highlight was Mahoney's speech about the shareholders erecting a statue of him in the depot, either unwilling to acknowledge or unaware of his Uncle Tom status among the blue collar workers.

3/5.