Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

9 hours ago, Horribleman said:

A Sandman 1 is a glowing endorsement.

Is it now?

No accounting for taste is there.

anyhoo, onwards and upwards

Nausicaa

If somebody asked me my fave Ghibli a few years ago I would have said this. But on this rewatch I thought it was only ok. 

3/5

Castle In the sky

This, on the other hand has gone up in my estimation. It’s too long, but it has bags of character and the first half hour is pretty much perfect. 

4/5

Princess Mononoke

Again it’s too long. But this time it’s not so much of an issue as the film is so amazing. The animation is not just a highlight for the studio, but for the entire human race. Excellent English dub as well. Just a staggering achievement.

5/5

The Running Man 

A good film with a great score. I was thinking that with Verhoeven directing it would have been brilliant. What an amazingly accurate prediction of modern America this was. I think Fireball was actually a pretty decent bloke for a stalker and would’ve been a good dude to share a pint with.

3.5/5

The Expendables 3

The series finally gets good, mainly down to Gibson as a first rate bad guy. The young expendables have the charisma of a wet towel, but the oldies are so amazing you don’t really notice. 

4/5

Iron man 2 3/5

not the best iron man film, not Thor TDW bad though either.

Star Wars 5/5

Fucking Star Wars and shizznitz.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - 3/5

First time I have seen it since original release.  Easily the best of the Prequel trilogy and the fx still look stunning even after 15 years.  Let down by incredibly naff acting by the two principle characters of Anakin and Padme, some daft script decisions (Yes She is fine but has lost the will to live I am looking at you) and the fact it is all far too rushed, due to the previous 2 films being absolutely shite in advancing the central story of Anakins transformation into Vader.

Evil Angels / A Cry in the Dark 5/5

Another one from the Stratton Oz flicks series, tip of the hat to rllmuk for sourcing it. I remember the hoopla around this from the time but never saw it, Meryl Streep (incredible) and Sam Neil play the tragic couple who lost a baby to a dingo in the outback.

It’s pure melodrama, I found the start basically unbearably horrific as you know how it begins, then it just gets worse for the pair as they are pulled through the emotional wringer by society. Top stuff, made all the better for Joe Mangel from Neighbours being the first cop on the scene.

Which reminds me, Mrs Mangel plays the teacher who goes missing in Picnic at Hanging Rock! What a world.

• Upvote 2

Spice World

Fucking hell.  90s set to maximum.  Apparently they cut out Garry Glitter, staggering that they left so many other amazingly offensive things in.

It has more out dated cultural references than Ready Player One.

Watched it on DVD in 4:3 ratio for extra authenticity.

Fuck we're all old.

2/5.

Dredd (2012)

I think this may be one of my favourite action films of all time.

Urban and Thirlby leap out of the screen as perfect representations of their characters (especially Urban).  The action scenes are frenetic even in slow motion.  It frames things just like the comic.

It's funny and grim and totally compact.  It doesn't put a foot wrong.  It's a brilliant action movie and a brilliant comic book movie.

5 dead citizens of Peach Trees out of 5.

• Upvote 8

When Eight Bells Toll (1971)

A boat carrying gold bullion goes missing, mysterious deaths and disappearances in the area, British Intelligence send a top Navy diver up to investigate. Cracking mystery with a screenplay from Alistair MacLean based on his novel, Anthony Hopkins is the resourceful diver sent to Scotland to follow up on a mission to track missing gold by Robert Morley. The pieces come together and soon the dastardly plot is revealed, leading to an exciting finale, with one or two twists along the way. Definitely not as epic as Where Eagles Dare, much more intrigue than action. Awesome views of the rugged Scottish coastline. Mention must be made for the soundtrack which is sumptuous, fitting. This was one of those films that would appear on a Sunday afternoon on ITV in the 80s, always a bit of an afterthought, and whilst it's maybe not a stone-cold classic thriller it kept me enthralled.

3/5

Just check out the music on this intro:

• Upvote 2

On 20/05/2020 at 19:50, sandman said:

Raw Deal

Mid-tier Arnie, but still pretty good. Some nice action and Arnie is actually acting!

3.5/5

The only thing I remember about that film is the “you should not drink and bake” scene.  I might have to rewatch it.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)

Genocide x Sleeping Beauty

Shite

1/5

Walkabout 5/5

Another flick I thought I’d seen and realised I’d just soaked key images into my consciousness and invented a viewing. This is sublime, Roeg’s cameraman’s eye turns every shot into a visual feast, and the story of lost innocence is heartbreaking. 

Stunning.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Bucky said:

Dredd (2012)

I think this may be one of my favourite action films of all time.

Thanks, your post reminded me that it had been long enough for a re-watch. It's a perfect film.

Spoiler

I'd also forgotten that he sums up everything that's happened in the film as "Drug bust, perps were uncooperative" and the Chief Judge just accepts the explanation and changes the subject. Amazing!

• Upvote 2

BvS DoJ 3/5

nearly 3 hours long, and not as confusing as the previous 2 occasion I’ve watched it.

Like a veil has been lifted from my eyes.

Rocky

A great start to a great franchise. Stellar performances from Stallone (arguably never better) and Shire. A well deserved best picture winner at the Oscars.

4.5/5

Rocky 2

Possibly my favourite of the series, particularly the fight which is just spectacular to watch. A great sense of drama and Weathers really starts to shine as Creed. 

5/5

Rocky 3

Or maybe this is the best one? Mr T is so awesome and just downright frightening. The film packs an awful lot into its running time, not much fat on it. Another brilliant fight at the end. It’s also got THAT song. 

5/5

Rocky 4

I think this might be a bit of a forum favourite but I think it’s much weaker than the preceding three. Lundgren is, of course, plain amaze but the plot is thin at best. I was starting to wonder why Rocky kept Paulie around as he’s just a twit. And let’s not get started on the bloody robot. 

3/5

Rocky 5

Perhaps the least remembered of all the films. What’s blaringly obvious on a rewatch is how Rocky is bit of a simpleton compared to his character in R4. I suppose it’s down to the Draco fight, but it feels very jarring. It’s one of two films I always think of when thinking of how an actors life mirrors the character they are playing on screen (the other is Betty Blue). Poor old Tommy Morrison.

Still, I do like the film for the most part.

3.5/5

Rocky Bilboa 

Stallone wisely decided to bring the character back from the dead. It’s a great film and Stallone does a stellar job at directing. It’s a bit of a daft set up, but it kind of works despite itself. It dawned on me last night just how important the theme is to me. It’s so iconic and stirs all sorts of memories from the last 40 years.

4.5/5

• Upvote 3

The Gentlemen - 5/7 (3.5/5) bit messy, all the scenes are excellent in isolation, but it just doesn't come together to feel like a whole.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Rocky

A great start to a great franchise. Stellar performances from Stallone (arguably never better) and Shire. A well deserved best picture winner at the Oscars.

4.5/5

Rocky 2

Possibly my favourite of the series, particularly the fight which is just spectacular to watch. A great sense of drama and Weathers really starts to shine as Creed. 

5/5

Rocky 3

Or maybe this is the best one? Mr T is so awesome and just downright frightening. The film packs an awful lot into its running time, not much fat on it. Another brilliant fight at the end. It’s also got THAT song. 

5/5

Rocky 4

I think this might be a bit of a forum favourite but I think it’s much weaker than the preceding three. Lundgren is, of course, plain amaze but the plot is thin at best. I was starting to wonder why Rocky kept Paulie around as he’s just a twit. And let’s not get started on the bloody robot. 

3/5

Rocky 5

Perhaps the least remembered of all the films. What’s blaringly obvious on a rewatch is how Rocky is bit of a simpleton compared to his character in R4. I suppose it’s down to the Draco fight, but it feels very jarring. It’s one of two films I always think of when thinking of how an actors life mirrors the character they are playing on screen (the other is Betty Blue). Poor old Tommy Morrison.

Still, I do like the film for the most part.

3.5/5

Rocky Bilboa 

Stallone wisely decided to bring the character back from the dead. It’s a great film and Stallone does a stellar job at directing. It’s a bit of a daft set up, but it kind of works despite itself. It dawned on me last night just how important the theme is to me. It’s so iconic and stirs all sorts of memories from the last 40 years.

4.5/5

Just before lockdown I picked a boxset up with all these films in for a fiver. Really should get around to watching them. This has inspired me.

Robo Vampire 5/5

fucking awful, Chinese vampires vs robocop knockoff, with terrible everything, but you can’t stop watching. Also, it’s like 3 films stitched together.

Spoiler

6A4CCBC3-5098-4B01-BB3F-E3F4E1221AA6.thumb.jpeg.a6e3933dfcd95ceba95fff66dcf30e1c.jpeg

15 hours ago, The Bag said:

The only thing I remember about that film is the “you should not drink and bake” scene.  I might have to rewatch it.

It has a fantastic shootout at the end. And also a pretty cool soundtrack.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Rocky Bilboa 

4.5/5

Is this the Hobbit/Rocky crossover I've heard so much about? :)

I watched No Country for Old Men again (it's currently on Prime)

5 out of 5

8 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I watched RoboCop again.

5 out of 5

is Robocop the most beloved film of our era? I mean seriously I've never met anyone who doesn't like it and those who do fucking love it.

Anyway I watched Bloodsport last night. 5/5 for the one liners alone

"I AIN'T YOUR PAL DICK FACE"

"HE'S THE AMERICAN SHITHEAD WHO MAKES TRICKS WITH BRICKS"

"YOU BREAK MY RECORD, NOW I BREAK YOU, LIKE I BREAK YOUR FRIEND"

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it now. I watched the theatrical cut today as it's been a while since I've seen it. I think I've finally decided that the Director's Cut is my preferred version. Whichever one you like the most, the story just crams so much into its remarkably short running time. The remake (I try not to talk about it, but it does exist sadly) is longer and says far less with a plot that has none of the momentum of the original. It's a fucking crime that RoboCop is 7.5 on IMDB and the turgid remake is only just over a point lower at 6.1.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

is Robocop the most beloved film of our era? I mean seriously I've never met anyone who doesn't like it and those who do fucking love it.

Anyway I watched Bloodsport last night. 5/5 for the one liners alone

"I AIN'T YOUR PAL DICK FACE"

"HE'S THE AMERICAN SHITHEAD WHO MAKES TRICKS WITH BRICKS"

"YOU BREAK MY RECORD, NOW I BREAK YOU, LIKE I BREAK YOUR FRIEND"

I think it’s probably BTTF.  Not a lot of women I’ve known like Robocop. 

The Matrix Reloaded: 3/5. Better than I remembered especially the motorway sequence. There's some ropey CGI in places though which shows up a lot in UHD.

The Matrix Revolutions. 1/5. Way worse than I remembered. So little actually in the Matrix, I hope they don't do this again in 4.

Primal (2019)

Definitely one of those films where, if someone tried to describe it, it would sound enticing, yet a low budget, sub-par direction and dog's-dinner plotting means this never lives up to the potential. Killer and white jaguar loose aboard a freighter with largely unlikeable passengers and crew trying to stay alive. Nicolas Cage is, well I think he's meant to be some sort of anti-hero but it's rather muddled. There's plenty of plot but it's a proper mess, decisions don't make much sense, the big cat seems to be forgotten until it's convenient, there are a few sloppily-shot fights. With a tighter script and a little more actual direction this could have been a decent bit of b-movie fare.

2/5

Calm With Horses

Gripping and moving Irish drama with incredible performances from all the cast, including the kid. One of the best films I've seen all year.

5/5

• Upvote 2

Enemy - 4/5

The only Villeneuve film I had not seen. Really think he is the best filmmaker in the last 10-15 years

Enjoyed it, the score and cinematography were sublime and great performance (as always ) from Jake. It has a sense of dread and atmosphere that makes it feel like a horror film at times.

It's a very odd film and not for everyone and a lot of it is open to interpretation. 

Better to go in blind. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, pledge said:

I hope they don't do this again in 4.

There's another Matrix sequel?!

53 minutes ago, Ry said:

Really think he is the best filmmaker in the last 10-15 years

Bong Joon-Ho says hi!

5 minutes ago, Mike S said:

There's another Matrix sequel?!

• Upvote 1