Rate the last film you watched out of 5

The Hunt - 3/5

It wasn't subtle with its satire and message but it was entertaining. Laughed a few times. The last fight was amazing. 

I can see why some Americans were outraged by it. Although I can see a lot of them (republican, redneck, racists) not getting the message or satire and loving it.

22 hours ago, ZOK said:

Visitor Q - 2.5/5

I watched this because it was on Mubi, and had totally forgotten I’d already seen it on C4 years ago.

It was shocking cinema at the time, and it’s hard to know if it still is...but while I understand what it’s doing and still get a few yuks out of the black humour, I just didn’t find it very entertaining.

Does Mubi have other Miike films on? There are about a billion I haven't seen, and the ones I have seen are at least interesting.

Have you seen Visitor Q? It’s certainly worth a watch if you’ve not - you’d be very hard pressed not to consider it interesting, and it’s regarded by many as his masterpiece.

I just found it a bit boring. What’s avant garde twenty years ago doesn’t necessarily remain so.

I have seen it, years ago. I remember one scene, that was very shocking to me at the time, but little else. I saw Gozu around the same time, so I think I get the two of them a bit mixed up.

Ichii The Killer was another one touted as Extreme Asian Cinema at the time. I imagine that would seem hokey these days.

Oh there’s no other Miike on MUBI at the moment, but films get added and drop off each day.

I don’t know if I’d keep the service going forward, but they do have some great stuff in there.

7 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

but a really fun film, featuring a wide array of bodily functions and fluids. Nasty

All I know of this is seeing/ignoring it on the Netflx front page for the last few weeks.

I shall now pencil it in for a viewing.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Oh there’s no other Miike on MUBI at the moment, but films get added and drop off each day.

I don’t know if I’d keep the service going forward, but they do have some great stuff in there.

If you subscribe to MUBI as an Amazon prime add on channel, there’s a lot more on there. No more Miike, but loads of Takeshi Kitano.

MUBI is worth it at the moment for Portrait Of A Lady On Fire alone.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, ZOK said:

That’s interesting...I wonder why that is? Is it more money?

I guess to compete with the other Amazon add on channels which tend to offer quite large selections. I think the extra MUBI films are made up of ones that have been on there site before.

Yeah, I can’t really see how MUBI justifies itself pricewise. I mean I’m on this free three month sub, and then it switches to £9.99 a month after that...whereas the BFI player on Prime is like £4.99 per month (iirc, it could be more) for a vastly superior selection.

I guess with Mubi you get newer flicks or something, and it’s not Amazon if you go direct...but I can’t see where they claim the value.

I just do the free trials on all the Amazon channels. If you spread them apart they seem to forget you’ve done them before. I’ve definitely done a few of them more than once over the last couple of years. MUBI sent me an email a few weeks back offering 3 months for £1 which was to good to turn down.

I agree that the best is the BFI player. I subscribe on and off to that. They used to have almost all the Kurosawa movies on there, which kept me subscribing for some time.

Ocean's Eleven 2002

Stellar cast list.

Clooney and Pitt just ooze charisma. Damon has some good moments. Julia Roberts completely wasted.

Good film, so was the original, does it do enough to justify a remake?

3/5.

Sonic The Hedgehog

It's dumb family movie fodder with lots of slapstick and wisecracks, and it's perfectly fine. It's definitely not Pixar levels of funny, and it's pretty meme-y, but at the same time it's inoffensive and - if you're okay with Sega and Sonic references - quite charming. Carrey is great, but I didn't feel like he had to "salvage" any scenes, because the other characters were fine too. 

3.5/5

14 hours ago, Splunge said:

Ocean's Eleven 2002

Stellar cast list.

Clooney and Pitt just ooze charisma. Damon has some good moments. Julia Roberts completely wasted.

Good film, so was the original, does it do enough to justify a remake?

3/5.

I think so and personally I think it's better. Plus they also do things very differently, especially with it uses of  modern tech (at the time) to do the heist, which I think justifies a remake alone. Plus the endings are vastly different.

13 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I think so and personally I think it's better. Plus they also do things very differently, especially with it uses of  modern tech (at the time) to do the heist, which I think justifies a remake alone. Plus the endings are vastly different.

I have to admit I am not a fan of remakes and don't normally watch them if I have seen the original. I did enjoy Ocean's Eleven though and will watch the sequels at some point soon.

I don't want to derail the thread chatting about Hollywood's endless reboots/remakes.

The Last Days On Mars (2013)

Brit SF/horror, a group of scientists are about to leave a research station on Mars, one of them finds some sort of bacteria that, as they find to their cost, turns people into rabid killers. Things start pretty slowly, taking time to establish the group and normal life for them, when the shit hits the fan you feel it. And it manages to maintain a good pace throughout. Really good performances from Liev Schreiber and a cast of British actors. What really sells this though is the combination of solid production design, cinematography and subtle, believable CG. It's hard not to compare this to Alien, the atmosphere is similar even if this is on an even smaller scale, and this does have a 70s dystopian feel. Some may roll their eyes at another space-horror film, but with great production values and performances this is certainly worth a watch.

3.5/5

I watched this on Netflix last night but it has now gone. I occasionally check this site to see what films are about to leave Netflix and thought I'd give this a whirl. Glad I did.

• Upvote 3

Watched Runaway Train a few weeks back so this is probably the loosest Andrey Konchalovskiy double bill ever:

Tango And Cash (1989)

Entertaining light-hearted buddy-cop action with Stallone and Russell bro-cracking their way through a largely forgettable story that's basically an excuse for some set-pieces. They try to set things up at the start, giving the two cops some personality, but as always once they bond all that crap clears out of the way and they can get on with sorting out the bad guys and stopping genial crime boss Jack Palance doing more deals to shift product. It's silly without being a comedy, things explode, it has some Brit muscle that would have been played by Vinnie Jones if this had been made 10 years later. Entertainment, pure and simple, nothing more. "He thinks he's Rambo!"

3/5

The Death of Stalin

Great performances and characters. I really enjoyed the subtle and dark humour. 

4/5

A Perfect Day

Dumb film about aid workers trying to retrieve a body from a well in the Balkans during the war. Benicio del Toro and Tim Robbins star. Weird use of rock music throughout including Marilyn Manson. 

1/5

43 minutes ago, Sapa said:

The Death of Stalin

Great performances and characters. I really enjoyed the subtle and dark humour. 

4/5

Jason Isaacs Yorkshire accent in that made the film for me.

Right up there with Tilda Swinton in Snowpiercer.

The Platform - Wow. What a film. Went in completely blind and thought it was amazing. Lean, mean and plenty to say. Very clever and although the ending won't be to everyone's liking, I thought it fitting. 

5 Skulls out of 5

Mean Streets - I know this is influential and there is some good performances, but this was my first time viewing and it just didn't click. A slow meandering look at New York life with a wafer thin plot. You can see Scorsese's trademark style and where it develops from in this film, but he is a long way from the finished article.  Some oddly out of place soundtrack choices (also far too loud in relation the the dialogue) and one of the most comically bad fight scenes I have ever witnessed. 1 mark for it's influence on the genre, 1 for the actors and a half for De Niro's britpop barnet.

2.5 Skulls out of 5

31 - Standard Rob Zombie schlock with over the top violence and his untalented wife. Some moments of promise in an otherwise messy splatterfest. 

2 Skulls out of 5

3 From Hell - Yet more Rob Zombie mediocrity. An unnecessary follow up to the decent "The Devils Rejects". Feels like a couple of films spliced together and again features his annoying wife unconvincingly in the centre stage. Bonus points for a brief Danny Trejo moment.

2 Skulls out of 5

The Farm - Not a rockumentry about the indie scouse dullards, but rather a ham fisted (excuse the term) parable about the treatment of farmed animals in a low budget horror skin. Despite it's shortcomings, I quite enjoyed it's redneck horror charms and although it's never going to be a classic I would say it' worth a watch for genre enthusiasts. 

A generous 3 Skulls out of 5 

Spotlight(2015)

2001 investigation into the Catholic church child sex abuse by the Boston globe. Top notch cast including McAdams, Ruffalo and Keaton do good work in an interesting and very well done movie.

Best thing I've seen in ages.

4.5/5

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Some oddly out of place soundtrack choices (also far too loud in relation the the dialogue) and one of the most comically bad fight scenes I have ever witnessed.

2.5 Skulls out of 5

Horses for courses, but to me it has some of the best music choices of any film, and the pool room right is sublime.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, pledge said:

Horses for courses, but to me it has some of the best music choices of any film, and the pool room right is sublime.

Yup. Mean Streets is 5/5, easily Scorsese’s best film. 

Furlough film club update.

Easter kind of got in the way, so only a couple of films watched. 

Rear Window (1954) Hitchcock at his height in Hollywood. We spy on voyeur James Stewart as he spies on the local neighbourhood from his rear window. Grace Kelly is utterly captivating, dismissing his suspicions at first then helping to solve the mystery. Tight, claustrophobic and tense. You're never quite sure who is watching who! Superb

5 flash bulbs out of 5

Withnail and I

Out of work actors escape London for a weekend in the country to recharge and try to avoid being molested by Uncle Monty. Is it okay to use homesexuality for comic effect if it's based on real life events ? Questionable politics today aside, this still has some of the most quotable lines ever committed to celluloid. Who hasn;t walked into a t least one tea shop and demanded "the finest wines known to humanity"?

I first watched this at university back in the day when student movies and drinking to excess was the order of the day. There's a drinking game you can play with this film, have a shot everytime Withnail has a drink. You'll be paralytic inside an hour. 

4 gins and pint of cider with ice in out of 5.

The great Gatsby 

Because it was late and as it turned out Sunday night quite by accident, we put this on fully intending to watch the first 20 minutes then go to bed.  2 hours 20 minutes later we watched the credits roll. Never having read the book, I didn't know the premise, but was fully engaged within the first 10 minutes, as the narrator unfolds the story of Gatsby and who the man really is. The last third of the film needs a lot of trimming, the trip into New York to set up the final comedown seemed to go on forever. But, overall I think it's another top draw Baz Luhrmann film. And if you want a song and dance number with hundreds of extras up a big staircase, Luhrmann is the director for you. Bright, super saturated, abstract, intimate and epic all at the same time. 

4.5 wives out of 5. 

• Upvote 2