rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

My Life.

I never saw this back in the day. Michael Keaton is excellent as the expectant father who is also dying of cancer. He is well supported by Nicole Kidman as his wife and Bradley Whitford as his brother. 

I thought this was really good. 

3.5/5

Trolls World Tour 

My kids have been desperate to see this and I'm really glad they've released it on streaming services.

It's actually pretty good. Solid plot, decent animation, good voice performances all round. A few funny bits, but I felt the music let it down a touch - the rock stuff was actually good, but there wasn't a "Happy" this time around.

I quite liked the twin morals of "it's okay to be different, it shouldn't cause conflict" and "pop music steals from everyone else" (I'm not sure that was deliberate). 

My kids have watched it twice already. 5/5 from them, I think a 3.5/5 from me (couldn't decide if it was a 3 or a 4, so split the difference).

• Upvote 4

Round up from the last few days of isolation:

The Clovehitch Killer - 3/5

Tightly made budget thriller, with a novel coming-of-age angle.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - 2/5

Dull fantasy drama based on a book of which I’ve admittedly never heard. 

Sorry to Bother You - 3/5

Quirky social commentary that descends into midnight movie madness. Messy in places but kind of fits the visual style.

Gloria Bell - 4/5

Julianne Moore is superb as the titular lead; really absorbing, understated character drama.

The Old Man and the Gun - 3/5

A relaxing, ‘warm bath’ of a film. Slight but never less than watchable, Robert Redford gets an old-fashioned crime caper as his cinematic send off.

Destroyer - 3/5

A startling transformation by Nicole Kidman raises an otherwise by-the-numbers crime thriller.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, glb said:

It’s a wonderful, wonderful novel by Shirley Jackson - a modern horror classic, in fact. I didn’t know there was a film, sounds like one to avoid.

• Upvote 2

Rocketman

Taron Egerton is excellent, but in the same way that the brilliant Rami Malek couldn't stop Bohemian Rhapsody being such a let down, I can't bring myself to say anything else positive about a hammy musical that grated from the first second to the last.  I loathe musicals.  Just not my sort of film.

1/5

The Overnight

Ben Wyatt from Parks and Rec is married to Piper from Orange is the New Black in a very, very odd and awkward film that is all over the place.  Avoid.

2.5/5

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Thank god for Disney + because last time I saw this, I was the same age as my kids who I watched it with.  Glorious from Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd terrifying and Jessica Rabbit looking fabulous.....

4/5

Mrs Doubtfire

Another one I hadn't seen in years - one of my very favourite Robin Williams performances made all the more poignant now I've gone through divorce myself and am a single parent.  Tugs at the heartstrings and is genuinely hilarious in places.  And I'd forgotten the very non-child friendly conversation between Mrs D and James Bond in the restaurant :lol:

4.5/5

Contagion

Yes, we watched it.  Probably shouldn't have in the current climate because it's frighteningly relevant - I wonder what the writers of this feel like when reality mirrors what happens in this with frighteningly accuracy in some places?  Good film.

4/5

47 Meters Down - Uncaged

Absolute bullshit but impossible to turn off.  Just leave your brain at the door and try to forget the fact that it's somewhat unlikely that blind killer great whites would be able to survive in a tight, cramped, intricate Mayan cave system.  Laughed more than I think I was supposed to.

2/5

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

There's a 47 Meters Down sequel? Superb. I love shark movies - gonna get all over that this weekend. 

Oh yes.  It's fucking TERRIBLE - you'll love it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

It’s a wonderful, wonderful novel by Shirley Jackson - a modern horror classic, in fact. I didn’t know there was a film, sounds like one to avoid.

I was about to comment myself on how amazing the book is, personally I much prefer it to The Haunting of Hill House.

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Oh, The Haunting of Hill House is great. Feel slightly foolish for only knowing that book and not her others.

Found the film really lacking unfortunately.

8 hours ago, glb said:

Round up from the last few days of isolation:

The Clovehitch Killer - 3/5

Tightly made budget thriller, with a novel coming-of-age angle.

Sorry to Bother You - 3/5

Quirky social commentary that descends into midnight movie madness. Messy in places but kind of fits the visual style.

Gloria Bell - 4/5

Julianne Moore is superb as the titular lead; really absorbing, understated character drama.

The Old Man and the Gun - 3/5

A relaxing, ‘warm bath’ of a film. Slight but never less than watchable, Robert Redford gets an old-fashioned crime caper as his cinematic send off.

Destroyer - 3/5

A startling transformation by Nicole Kidman raises an otherwise by-the-numbers crime thriller.

Lovely post, thanks; brevity truly is the soul of wit. 

Furlough film club

Last night, Mad Max - fury road

Weirdly, not as good as I remember it. Its just a bit to bright and shiny I think. And knowing how it ends there was no real tension this time

I thought it was amazing first time I saw it, this time... Meh. :(

3 wrecks out of 5

Tonight, The Hurt Locker. 

This however was as good as I remember. Gritty, visceral, tense and still shocking. The  scene in the car after the suicide vest, just brilliant. War without the "hoo rar American fuck yeah" 

IEDs out of fi... Wait there's another wire!!! 

• Upvote 1

Trolls World Tour

It's alright, kids loved it but the music is a constant, and there's some really poor covers. Has a nice message but it's essentially five or six musical numbers, then ten minutes before the end they realise they've not really done anything and cram the showdown and finale in what remains.  2.5/5

On 08/04/2020 at 20:37, sandman said:

My Life.

I never saw this back in the day. Michael Keaton is excellent as the expectant father who is also dying of cancer. He is well supported by Nicole Kidman as his wife and Bradley Whitford as his brother. 

I thought this was really good. 

3.5/5

I remember watching this many decades ago and there was a scene that had me bawling like Matthew Mcconaughey in Interstellar. 

I cry a lot, but I remember it vividly. 

Here's a great article on what I'm talking about and sums it up perfectly for me. 

Saddest ending ever. 

https://www.slashfilm.com/saddest-movie-ending-ever/

• Upvote 1

On 29/03/2020 at 23:44, Sapa said:

The World is Yours (Amazon Prime UK/Netflix US)

Good French reluctant criminal/gangster story, along the similar lines of 'one last deal' before going legit. I watched it after reading this recommendation. I'd also really recommend it to anyone who likes a good crime/underworld film. 

4/5

Thanks for mentioning this, just watched it myself due to your post and it is very good!

• Upvote 1

The Decline (Netflix)

Decent French Canadian survivalists in the wilderness thriller. Just the right length at around 1hr 20min.

3/5

Incredibles 2 3/5

"JakJak has powers!?!"

Raiders of the Lost Ark 5/5

"It's a radio for talking to God"

HP and the chamber of secrets 1/5

"So there's this ghost, who hangs around the toilets..."

Independence Day 2 0/5

Nearly scored a point, just for having the some of the actors return, but then lost it again for shitty green screen work.

On 09/04/2020 at 11:31, Boothjan said:

Oh yes.  It's fucking TERRIBLE - you'll love it.

Correct on both points!

This was lots of fun - blind, albino sharks hunting teenagers by sound in an submerged Mayan city. It was quite formulaic but there were a couple of kills I didn't see coming and the underwater photography was nicely done. There were some *interesting* soundtrack choice (Roxette and Aztec Camara??) and I loved how they dragged the already short running-time out by inserting slow-motion sequences at random.

Shark/5

(I'll be there for the 3rd part for sure)

• Upvote 2

The Irishman: 3/5.

There are some sparks in here somewhere but this overlong, over boiled, underseasoned "epic" is a real slog. I'm reviewing it preemptively at the point any God-fearing film would end but there's another hour to go FML.

The draw- old actors look younger via the magic of CGI- is largely undone by everyone moving around like they're 30 years older than the character they're portraying, so you forget about it after the first 45 minutes anyway.

There's a classic movie that could be made about the Mob, Teamsters and Jimmy Hoffa, but this isn't it. Scorcese has some real cheek complaining about Marvel movies when he's churning out this retirement home of a movie just to keep his old pals in work.

• Upvote 4

Raiders of the Lost Ark (BBC1)

Still the best action adventure movie ever made.

5/5

• Upvote 6

On 08/04/2020 at 11:42, Sidewaysbob said:

My son is starting film studies at 6th form in September so we're doing the "furlough film club" with my collection of films I bought because they won loads of awards. 

First up. There will be blood. 

I'm not sure I understand why this got so much praise. It looks amazing, sure. But there are so many plot point that don't make sense that I'm just left puzzled by it at the end. For instance, are there two sons of the farmer? Does the preacher have a dual personality if not where does Paul go and why did he talk about his church at the meeting?

And then the end sort of arrives and there no explanation about the drinking and the sudden desire to tell the truth to the son. After all he's been through. 

So, looks amazing, Daniel Day Lewes utterly mesmerising, but ultimately unsatisfying. 

3 working Wells out of 5.

Next up no country for old men. 

I absolutely loved this. Big skies America, moody shots of desolate County. The protagonist are all believable and Bardem is outstanding as the pshyco killer. Everyone one is at the top of their acting game. 

You believe everyone's motives and reactions. The only odd thing is the setting, Brolin seems too young to have done two tours of 'Nam, in what feels like a mid 80s setting. 

But other than that superb. 

5 dead bodies out of 5. 

Tonight, Mad Max : Fury road

I got an A in that. I absolutely loved the course.

You could give him a headstart by watching German Expressionism. They're quite short films and available on YouTube.

Rocket Man - not a fan of Elton John's music but this was great. The opening 30 minutes were fantastic. 4/5

• Upvote 1

Midsommer - ?/5

I don't even know how to rate this. I watched it a week ago and I still can't stop thinking of it from time to time but I don't think it was a particularly great movie either. Lots of great individual moments and superb craft in all technical aspects but it reminds me of something like Mother! in that it is only really satisfying on a narrative level as allegory. The core plot doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. And while allegory is great, it works best when the literal story is good too, as an additional layer - not the only layer.

• Upvote 2

Rage and Honor 2: Hostile Takeover (1993)

Cynthia Rothrock and Richard Norton are BACK... in this pretty forgettable sequel to a pretty forgettable original. On balance the fighting is better in this, as a few good uses of ad hoc weapons including a fish, and you even get a few full-body shots as opposed to the normal too-close camera. Whilst the Indonesian setting is novel the plot is the usual sort of thing for this era, lots of talk of "product", flash crime boss, you know the drill. Rothrock's character somehow has morphed from teacher to secret agent with no explanation given. In fact the only real link to the original is her pairing with Richard Norton and people getting kicked in the nuts. Oh and mention must be made of the car chase in the world's largest multi-storey car park, it went on forever. The film will pass the time, it simply doesn't leave a trace.

2/5

• Upvote 3

Spider-man into the Spider-verse 5/5

it grew on me.

• Upvote 1

Bait (2019)

A tale of impoverished locals in a Cornish fishing village coming face-to-face with gentrification and local income shifting toward tourism, shot in self-developed 16mm black and white by the director.

Initially it seemed shaky- the editing was a bit haphazard- but quite engaging when you settle into it and a really strong, taciturn lead performance.

Spoiler

"Lycra cunt" is probably my favourite new insult.

4/5.

• Upvote 4

I haven't made any posts in over a month so just gonna post my Letterboxd diary list for now and will do a proper post next time I watch something. 

Out of all these, if you haven't seen them then I highly recommend Captain Fantastic and The Farewell. 

20200411_212039.jpg

• Upvote 1

Man Of Steel - 4.5/5

Most people seem to disagree, but I make no apologies for loving this film.  Shame they rushed straight into the Justice League movies as a follow up to such a promising start.  I would have gone with Wonder Woman, A Batman stand alone and a sequel to MOS before even thinking of a Justice League movie.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

For some reason this is popular on Netflix right now, haven't a clue why.

Outbreak (1995)

Right from the off this slams you in the face with it's 90s-ness, maybe it's the font on the titles, I don't know. Like the virus involved this doesn't hang about, people get sick really fast and before you know it Dustin Hoffman and pals have an epidemic on their hands. 100% mortality rate no less, serious business. You just know that Hoffman and Rene Russo will be cancelling that divorce by the end, no subtlety there.  It throws about some virological terms and there are a lot of people knocking about in hazmat suits, but this is firmly good-vs-evil action, Dustin Hoffman being the good, Donald Sutherland doing the bad, Morgan Freeman somewhere in between. And I've never seen so many helicopters in one film ever. Pretty sure this was part funded by Sikorski or whatever. As I write this review we're in the midst of a real global pandemic and it's interesting to note how things like the town's folk would rather harangue the army than stay in their homes. But these were more innocent times. Not many parallels can be drawn from this, just enjoy it for the silly 90s action that this is.

3/5

Magnum Force 4/5

it's politics are not subtle, the boob count is high, but it all works, in that paranoid way that 70s cinema seems to be shot.

Creep (2014)

Interesting low-budget horror, sort of found-footage. A young fella gets a job filming a cancer sufferer who wants a record of his last few days for his son, or does he? Things definitely take a turn for the worst. Really low-key drama that builds slowly and rewards the patient viewer. Excellent twist ending. Difficult to talk about without spoiling it so I'll just say give this a spin if you like understated horror.

3/5