rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

The Secret Life of Pets 2 3/5

standard Illumination animated fodder. Some of the observations of animals are still spot on. Especially the animals at the vets.

Batman & Robin 2/5

if you pretend that the two Burton films don’t exist, and that this film is a movie spin-off from the 1966 show... no? No...

Toy Story 4 -3.5/5

This looked tremendous and made me laugh out loud several times...but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching an extremely high budget straight-to-DVD sequel the entire time. After the perfection that was 3 this didn't feel like 'Toy Story 4' but rather 'Toy Story: Roadtrip', or something similar. It all felt a bit slight and rushed, juggling too many characters and their relationships. But still, the attention to detail in the animation was stunning.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Annihilation (2018)

Strange and beautiful SF/horror adventure from Alex Garland. I'm a sucker for anything Lovecraftian and this is definitely one of the better films that warrant that description. In essence a group of scientists investigate 'the shimmer', an alien phenomenon taking over a bit of remote coastline. Whilst they apply science to try and understand what they encounter, the group are soon dealing with physical and psychological horrors way beyond human comprehension, in the best tradition of Lovecraft.  Like Garland's Ex Machina this manages to convey some deep and interesting ideas, some way-out ideas albeit grounded in what feels like scientific fact - hard to describe. And like Ex Machina this is a slow burn, largely character-driven drama, although some of the group were a bit undercooked. It does look absolutely stunning, a combination of real alien beauty and twisted horror.

4/5

• Upvote 6

Good write up @Vimster. I'm admittedly an Alex Garland fan boy (both books and films) but loved Annihilation. Also very much looking forward to Devs (TV series he has written) coming in April to BBC 2 :) 

• Upvote 1

Guns Akimbo (2019)

This feels like a proper magpie-nest of a film, a combination of John Wick, Edgar Wright and the Crank films thrown in for good measure. It's slick and silly and has lots of garish coloured lighting, it has the high-concept premise, it has a thumpin' soundtrack of covers, and an easy-to-swallow plot. It even has a few good gags. But as fun a watch as this was it did feel like an also-ran, the product of a binge-watch of action films from the last 15 years combined with an off-target use of pop culture. Daniel Radcliffe does do a good job as the out-of-his-depth loser, although the character was built entirely on cliches. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy it, there's some visceral fun to be had here, but this does feel like a follower rather than an innovator. 

3/5

Jurassic World: fallen kingdom

jurassic park 2/5

i meant it’s a rehash of the lost world, isn’t it? With “something for the dads” in the form of THAT vest. And yay, more annoying “cute kid”, and a scene where dinosaurs are gassed. Just utter devoid of anything to justify it’s existence. The second of the two points is for the epilogue...

The Angry Birds Movie 1/5

i don’t even know why this was the only choice this afternoon. Oh wait, 11 year old son...

Anchorman The Legend Of Ron Burgandy - 5/5

Simply brilliant.

• Upvote 1

The Gentleman

I loved this. Really loved it.

Full of great characters and some really good performances. Hugh Grant especially was brilliant. But everyone is great in it, even Charlie Hunan.

Great plot as well. Couple of good twists. Just really entertaining to watch.

Easy 5/5 for me

• Upvote 2

On 03/04/2020 at 20:34, sandman said:

So, my introduction to Gallia started last night with the following 3 Argento films

Inferno

An excellent start. Very creepy in places and excellent cinematography throughout. 

4/5

Phenonema 

Much less effective despite an excellent performance from a very young Jennifer Connelly. It's also far too long. I did really like the ending though.

2/5

Suspiria

I thought this was exceptional. Very few films have ever used music and colour as well as this film does. Intelligent film making and that boy really was disturbing. 

5/5

Deep Red, Tenebrae, and Opera next if I were you...

• Upvote 3

Martin - 4/5

George Romero’s weirdo kid-who-thinks-he’s-a-vampire slasher, that only really loses a point because the fake blood is that terrible seventies stuff that looks like paint. A terrific oddball movie that you can view on YouTube - check out a couple before you watch it though, some uploads are much better quality than others.

• Upvote 1

Hustlers (2019)

Not sure what to make of this one Jennifer Lopez puts in a good performance, and it’s always a delight to see Lizzo in action, however I felt uncomfortable with the fact that the women were making money by drugging men and emptying their credit cards. Admittedly some of the men were hateful dickheads and probably deserved it, but most of them came across as just a bit pathetic and/or lonely. Maybe I’ve missed the point? It’s free on Amazon Prime if you fancy it.

2.5/5

Bloodshot

I'm gonna give this Vin Diesel movie 3 out of 5.

It's dumb, but I found it oddly enjoyable. There's a bit near the beginning where Diesel, in full combat fatigues, is walking towards his wife. He then takes his top off to reveal the white vest he's worn for every single one of the Fast & Furious films. The guy is literally the same in every movie he's in now, right down to the clothes he wears, regardless of the character he's playing.

With this in mind, there's a review that I read on IMDB which made me chuckle...

Vin Diesel takes on a role that combines Robocop, Total Recall, Universal Soldier and countless other classic 80s sci-fi inspired action films and combines them into this Fast & Furious prequel trying to explain why Dominic Terretto is near to being invincible.

Its odd that he doesn't do any racing in this movie, and I don't know why he keeps calling Letty a different name, but then again, the F&F films never did care much about continuity.

Quite bizzare but refreshing that it ditched the F&F title, but I guess in the sequel Bloodshot & Furious they will introduce how he found his first Dodge Charger and how he got into racing as a hobby to do in between being invincible.

The Banker - 3/5

Decent film based in the true events involving black businessmen who hire a white guy to do face to face business due to racial prejudice in USA in the 50s and 60s. 

Nothing bad about or remarkable. A solid story and well made and acted. 

The Gentlemen - 4/5

Very entertaining and Guy Ritchie's best film in years. 

The Town - 4/5

Not watched this in years and thought I would watch again. It's brilliant. Brilliant performance from Affleck and really well written and directed. He wrote, produced and directed this. He gets some stick but he is a very good actor and talented director.

And that final heist scene is fucking incredible. Up there with the bank shootout from Heat (although not as good obviously. That will never be beaten)

• Upvote 2

Brightburn - 2/5

Intriguing idea told completely generically, leaving a feeling of missed opportunity.

• Upvote 2

Inside Man 4/5

I can’t believe I sat on this one for so long, it’s a really good heist thriller with Spike Lee and his top notch cast having great fun with this film. 

• Upvote 4

Star Trek Generations 4/5

only let down by the improbable physics of a rocket launched from Veridian 3 reaching the star at the heart of the Veridian system in a couple of seconds.

Star Trek First Contact 4/5

minus one point for “assimilate this!”

The league of extraordinary Gentlemen.

Came out a  good while back while Connery was still making movies and I remember it being shite  but with some nice design aesthetics. Watched it again to see if  there was anything I missed and may be gain some new appreciation for it.

Nope.

2/7 and that 2  just for Connery's charisma in the opening few minutes and the improbably large  but nice looking submarine  that appears to be able to submerge in relatively shallow rivers

The Gentlemen

Quite enjoyed this. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell were easily the highlights, and I liked Michelle Dockery a lot. The plot is a bit all over the place, and people come and go, but it's entertaining enough and Ritchie's best work for some time. 

3.5 / 5

• Upvote 1

Flight of the Navigator. 

I hadn't seen it in over 25 years.

A great kids sci-fi story that doesn't patronise. It pulls all the right emotional strings whilst still being positive throughout. It also leaves a lot of mysteries about the ship and it's occupants for your imagination to fill in.

Back in the day I though the scenes onboard the ship were over too quickly and I still think that now. :D

4.5/5

• Upvote 2

Seven Samurai

Its hard to believe this is from 1954. It certainly stands the test of time (and then some).

I enjoyed the first half recruitment more than the village battle, but as a whole its utterly flawless.

7/7

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Seven Samurai

Its hard to believe this is from 1954. It certainly stands the test of time (and then some).

I enjoyed the first half recruitment more than the village battle, but as a whole its utterly flawless.

7/7

Unfortunately I can only like your post once. I love this film. :wub:

• Upvote 2

Victor Frankenstein 

i tried watching this this a few years and only made it about 10 minutes in. Glad I gave it a second chance as its actually rather good. The two leads are excellent and it's an interesting take on a classic tale.

3.5/5

Jackie Brown

Havent seen this in awhile. TBH it starts pretty obviously and only gets really interesting around the 45 minutes Mark. The rest is brilliant and if you have never seen it then I would recommend tracking it down. 

4.5/5

• Upvote 1

Yup, Jackie Brown is Tarantino’s pinnacle work imho. I love the drawn out pace.

• Upvote 2

The Firm (1993)

I've not seen this in a while. And yes, its Grisham, 90's, fresh-faced Cruise, nostalgia. But Sydney Pollack is a great director, who elevates all those things into a cracking thriller.

Only thing niggling me is the score, because the melancholy piano riffs sound exactly like Chihiro's & No-Face's train journey.

Hot take: it has the fastest 'Tom Cruise run' on camera. Thats not a scientific fact, but i can't remember him ever being this young & spritely, running full speed for the audience's pleasure.

4/5

• Upvote 1

My son is starting film studies at 6th form in September so we're doing the "furlough film club" with my collection of films I bought because they won loads of awards. 

First up. There will be blood. 

I'm not sure I understand why this got so much praise. It looks amazing, sure. But there are so many plot point that don't make sense that I'm just left puzzled by it at the end. For instance, are there two sons of the farmer? Does the preacher have a dual personality if not where does Paul go and why did he talk about his church at the meeting?

And then the end sort of arrives and there no explanation about the drinking and the sudden desire to tell the truth to the son. After all he's been through. 

So, looks amazing, Daniel Day Lewes utterly mesmerising, but ultimately unsatisfying. 

3 working Wells out of 5.

Next up no country for old men. 

I absolutely loved this. Big skies America, moody shots of desolate County. The protagonist are all believable and Bardem is outstanding as the pshyco killer. Everyone one is at the top of their acting game. 

You believe everyone's motives and reactions. The only odd thing is the setting, Brolin seems too young to have done two tours of 'Nam, in what feels like a mid 80s setting. 

But other than that superb. 

5 dead bodies out of 5. 

Tonight, Mad Max : Fury road

• Upvote 1