IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Netflix day yesterday....

Screwball - 3/5

Breezy doc about the 1990s steroid scandal in baseball. Wouldn’t trust any of the talking heads further than I could pitch them but the story is entertaining.

Dealt - 3/5

Surprisingly heartfelt doc about the card mechanic Richard Turner. An absolute master of his craft, some of the sleight of hand needs to be rewatched several times. Led me down a YouTube rabbit hole afterwards.

Lost Girls - 3/5

Tragic drama about missing girls in Long Island. It’s a fairly routine film elevated by Amy Ryan’s lead performance. She’s always dependable and here brings wrought emotion that underlines the complete shitshow unfolding around her.

Birds of Prey (2020)

There's a scene where Ewan McGregor's Roman Sionis aka Black Mask says to Harley Quinn, "You’re so tiresome!"

That sums up this silly try-hard bollocks, perfectly. 

Back in the day, everyone involved in this would be blacklisted and not allowed within a mile of Hollywood. 

Makes Tank Girl look like Akira. 

0/5

Zero Dark Thirty

Unliekable people doing unlikeable things  in the hunt for Osama Bin Laden.This is basically Jessica Chastain's movie and she's reasonably decent in it  and overall it's a  moderately restrained  look at the 10-15 year hunt for Osama. If the amount of intelligence they went off for the actual raid is as slight as the movie makes out then fuck me dead . There had to be an action set piece at the end and again it's fairly restrained . I'm sure there's large portions of the story omitted  as well as timeline seems to jump between years but that's understandable given that it would probably be 5 hours long otherwise.

Also watched it on free to air here in Oz, i.e ad breaks every 10 minutes which is ridiculous - no wonder these channels  dying on their arses .

3/5

On 21/03/2020 at 21:56, Sapa said:

Bacurau

An odd and very interesting Brazilian film. I watched it without knowing anything about the plot and felt that I appreciated it more upon reflection and reading a Guardian review of it that explained a bit of the symbolism and have it more meaning. 

3.5/5

I thought Bacurau was exceptional. 

As you say, very odd, but incredibly engrossing for just that reason. Every character seemed like the had a story to tell even if most didn't get to tell them and I enjoyed how the movie took a turn for the unexpected in the second half. The blasted heated Western atmosphere was ace too.

Pretty overt in its love for John Carpenter but that is never a bad thing.

4/5 for me.

8 hours ago, SeanR said:

Goonies 5/5

every time I watch it it seems like it takes longer to get to the fratellis

It depends. The theatrical cut with the hanging scene or the child friendly edit where it starts in the diner?

I'd never seen the theatrical cut until we showed it to our kids when they were 5 and 6. 

"What is he doing Dad?"

:hmm:

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

Sky Cinema: Starts with the hanging scene. I guess I meant it takes longer to get to the diner, so yeah, that.

I'm quite surprised at that. The last time I watched it, I noticed there was mild swearing in it too. On my DVD copy.  I don't think I've seen a TV broadcast with that opening scene before; the film doesn't really need it in terms of the context.

Watched Conan The Barbarian yesterday evening.

5/5

I remember being given the Graphic Novel by my Dad when it was out at the cinema.  I was only 6 at the time and he rented it on VHS when it came out in the video shop - blew my mind and it's still an amazing film. The casting is simply perfect.  A few years later he bought me Robocop for my birthday.

The General - Goodfellas set in 1990s Dublin with Brendan Gleeson and Jon Voight from the director of Deliverance.

Lots of good performances, Gleeson pretty much carries the whole movie and comes off as likeable when I expect the guy in real life was a massive cunt. 

BUT: don't watch the version on Amazon Prime as it's some mad re-coloured (Queens Boulevard style) version with lots of horrific ADR'd pre-watershed TV swearing (robocop style).

4/5 for my memories of the original. FUCKSAKE/5 for Amazon's version.

Birds of Prey - 1/5

Humour for 13 year olds, annoying main character, boring by the numbers plot, poorly written script. Migraine enduring cinematography and art direction. 

Ewan McGregor hamming it up was the only decent thing. 

If I was a 13 year old girl I might have loved it. 

I watched Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) a month ago (when it still had its original, superior title), so it's not the last film I watched.

But to provide some balance to the above two reviews, I'm going to say that I gave it 3.5/5 and thought it was better than Shazam, Aquaman, and Joker. (And Tank Girl.) :P

@John Edward Gammell @RYAN WHITELAW Where did you watch it, anyway - the streaming purchase release isn't until tomorrow, is it? Did you yarr it? :o

Captain fantastic - 4/5

About a mad communist guy (Vigo Mortenstein) living off the grid with his kids some shit happens and they have to interact with society. Really good. Can't remember the last twenty minutes or so was fucking hammered when I watched it. 

It's on Netflix. 

Ladybird - 3/5 

A coming of age story. Content wise it was just ok, but it had a good vibe to it. Whatever the fuck that means. 

Also on Netflix. 

Extra Ordinary 2/5

This looked like exactly the type of thing I would love. But I didn't. The jokes were all very on the nose. Was bored shitless half way through. 

Also on Netflix. 

Monty Python (live): One Down, Five To Go - 4/5

Backstage with the Pythons as they prepare and perform their final 10 nights at the O2.  Honest, as always, and look, it's just a delight to watch five of the all time greats working together for one last time.

The Revenant - I read the book not long before the movie came out so I didn't see much point watching it at the time. Very impressive film, cold and harsh and visceral. Gasped out loud a few times , particularly

Spoiler

at one point Glass takes a drink of water and it comes dribbling out of the wound in his throat, goddamn!

4/5

Incredibles 2

Has a Better Call Saul link.

I enjoyed it in parts. Jack Jack's fight with the racoon was great. The main storyline was hackneyed and shallow - role reversal for Mum and Dad. It's been done a lot. It results in the same outcome that Dad's without their partners can't bring up children. I like Reflux :lol:

It's not peak Pixar by any means but it was fun.

3/5

Comfort films off of NowTV

The A-Team 4/5 doesn't do anything wrong, isn't a masterpiece, but is enjoyable, not mindless.

Iron Man 5/5 despite being an origin story, and having a weak third act, it's the start of the modern comic book adaption in primary colours. Not grimdark.

2001 5/5 Even now, even fucking now, this fucker holds up to all but the closest scrutiny. Kubrick's distant & cold film making, with the up-close and personal soundtrack. Every sci-film that came after this, moved away from Jules Verne steampunk. It's influence is notable.Check out the in-flight entertainment on the shuttle. But didn't the Dawn of Man use to be longer than 15 minutes?

The Debt Collectorhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt7448180/ 

On Netflix

Scott Adkins and Jesse Johnson take their shtick to America. Adkins is a traditional martial arts guy running a traditional dojo in California. It's not doing well, no one wants traditional training any more it's all about MMA. He takes a job as an enforcer for the mob and gets teamed up with a grizzled enforcer. They're sent to collect money from various colourful characters around California. Needless to say this leads to a load of punch-ups and brawls.

I thought this was really good. There's a great chemistry between Adkins and Louis Mandylor as the other enforcer - lots of bickering dialogue and funny back and forths between them. The American setting is nicely done and the violence is excellent. The soundtrack is trash though - it reminded me of the GTA 3 soundtrack, lots of generic 'rock' sounding songs but no 'real' artists, just sound-a-likes. 

3.5/5

Dark Breed (1996)

Pretty mediocre SF/action from PM Entertainment. Something to do with some astronauts getting possessed by bad aliens and wanting to invade, government cover-up, bit of intrigue, bit of shooting, lots of explosions, really spectacular explosions actually. Sadly though it's just not exciting or engaging enough.

2/5

18 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

The Call of the Wild

good family film, ticks all the boxes. If you can get past the weird choice of making all the dogs fully CGI, you’ll love it.

harrison ford having a great time too and put my INDY5 fears to bed too.

I highly recommend Togo which is a far superior film in the same genre (plus has real animals).

Its on Disney+ but it is out there to acquire if you do not have that option :)