rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

First Love - 4/5

Miike's 103rd film, and he's on fine form. Madcap, violent & romantic. 

Seven Psychopaths

The first hour was great and the plot is interesting, cast excellent and the script is witty but then the film just falls apart near the end. I genuinely didn't understand it. It was a Tarrantino film by someone else.

3/5

A Silent Voice

Anime. Quite a serious subject matter but it's not handled very well. Maybe it's cultural but bullying seems to be condoned in it. Some of the animation was shonky too.

3/5

• Upvote 1

Two Popes (2019)

Anthony Hopkins and Johnathan Pryce are superb as Popes Benedict and Francis in a film that delivers far more than expected. Really enjoyed it.

4/5

• Upvote 2

On 15/02/2020 at 22:25, SpagMasterSwift said:

Parasite 

Didn’t fall head over heals for it when watching it, but found there was loads to talk about after.

4/5 

Very similar response here too, a movie that leaves you with a lot to chew over after the credits roll. 

Terminator Dark Fate

Put off watching this for ages but went in with the 'what if?' mindset rather than it being a 'true' Terminator sequel and was still dissapointed. A decent opening (basically everything before Sarah turns up) got my expectations up somewhat then it slows to a crawl for a good hour, before a barage of increasingly over the top action sequences, especially in the last 30 minutes that would kill a grown man 10 times over but barely scratch an ancient Linda Hamilton and an 8 stone wet teenager. There's no suspence or sense of danger at all and it just becomes a joyless slog. Honestly I'd rather watch Terminator 3 or Salvation again than this. 

2/5

11 hours ago, neoELITE said:

A Silent Voice

Anime. Quite a serious subject matter but it's not handled very well. Maybe it's cultural but bullying seems to be condoned in it. Some of the animation was shonky too.

3/5

I couldn't agree less. I think its handled amazingly. Bully isn't condoned by the movie at all imo, its completely the opposite. It might be condoned by some of the school children within the film (but that happens all over the world) but as a subject it was showing the damages that bullying causes. I thought the way they treated anxiety and depression was excellent and really unique. 

Snowpiercer

Saw this on prime a while ago and didn't watch cause I thought the premise was daft as fuck (still do: Bioshock but it's a train) checked it out cause the director has some mad hype right now. It was it really good. Could have been great if they'd tightened it up a bit here and there but but whatever. 

Tilda Swinton playing the human equivalent of the Tory party. Superb. She's always amazing in everything and it's never the same thing twice. 

4 delicious and nutritious protein blocks out of 5.

• Upvote 2

First Love - 3/5

Takes an age to set its pieces up, and at times feels a bit dated and laboured but has enough dark humour to keep things mostly on the right side of enjoyable. Mostly.

It all had an odd dream like quality to it.  Maybe it's because all of it felt so observed and shot in the first prison.  Maybe because of the time compression (you could imagine fade to blacks in certain scenes like the truck or floating on the river).

Roger Deakins deserved the cinematography Oscar.  The night scenes were beautiful and ethereal.

4/5.

9 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Terminator Dark Fate

Put off watching this for ages but went in with the 'what if?' mindset rather than it being a 'true' Terminator sequel and was still dissapointed. A decent opening (basically everything before Sarah turns up) got my expectations up somewhat then it slows to a crawl for a good hour, before a barage of increasingly over the top action sequences, especially in the last 30 minutes that would kill a grown man 10 times over but barely scratch an ancient Linda Hamilton and an 8 stone wet teenager. There's no suspence or sense of danger at all and it just becomes a joyless slog. Honestly I'd rather watch Terminator 3 or Salvation again than this. 

2/5

Terminator 3 was the last terminator film I watched, and I’ve been happy with that choice.  Not as happy as if I’d never seen it, but happier than watching any of the others.  It’s probably the one good decision I’ve made in life.

• Upvote 1

Sonic

We had a free family Cineworld ticket to use up and everything else was a 15 other than Dolittle.

It wasn't as bad as I thought. Jim Carrey seemed to be doing a bad impersonation of himself. The end credit scenes though... surely not.

3/5

Countdown (2019)

What an abject waste of a potentially good idea: imagine this as a Final Destination-style horror/thriller where you get several people who install an app that lets them know when they're supposed to die, and there's tons of foreshadowing and twists whilst the plucky teens try to figure out what's going on. Keep imagining because what we get here is essentially a sure-fire pitch that descends into a messy, lightweight, bloodless popcorn-occult horror that largely consists of cheap jump scares, plastic tension and missed opportunities galore. Pointless.

1/5

• Upvote 1

Beast (2017)

This was on Valentine's Day on Film 4, a lovely bit of dark humour from them as it's basically a disturbing romance/thriller between two loners. Won't say anymore to avoid spoilers but Jessie Buckley is fantastic. 

You can watch it on All 4 for the next few weeks. Worth a go if you haven't seen it. Probably 4/5 just for Buckley alone.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/beast

• Upvote 2

On 17/02/2020 at 11:23, Bazjam said:

First Love - 4/5

Miike's 103rd film, and he's on fine form. Madcap, violent & romantic. 

I fancy watching this, but it's really not showing in many places is it?

3 minutes ago, Liamness said:

I fancy watching this, but it's really not showing in many places is it?

It’s on iTunes and Amazon to buy (available to rent from next week I think). Avoid Amazon though, I bought it on there and about half way through the subtitles go out of sync. I should’ve known better as it’s happened to me before with them, and searching online it seems a common problem with subtitled films on there.

• Upvote 1

Cheers. Yeah I may wait until it's available to rent, none of my favourite places are showing it.

Coco (Pixar/Disney 2017).

5 tears out of 5.

Excellent, though not what I was expecting.  Having spent the past few days dealing with the death of my dad I've been looking for escapist non-triggering films to watch.  Aladdin (4/5) and The Little Mermaid (4/5) were fine, and I thought I'd try a new disney/pixar I hadn't seen.  Coco was, it transpires, not the film I was looking for - the story about familial love and the dead being forgotten had me crying for situational reasons, but also because it's a great piece of film making.  Seemingly sensitive to the culture it represented, and beautiful looking, and I didn't see the neat twist in the story coming.  Recommended, but bring tissues.

It also made me want to play through Grim Fandango again.

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 2

Parasite - An absolute masterpiece. I don't think I can fault this film. Great performances, amazing cinematography and not an ounce of flab. Deserves every award plus more. 

5 Skulls Out of 5

• Upvote 2

Emma

When one is in the middle of full on depression they can do far worse than to take the afternoon off work and head to the cinema for a classic british costume drama. 

Misunderstood intentions, heaving bosoms, simpering looks and cutting wit. Beautiful costumes , dashing men and Bill Nighy in full Bill Nighy mode

Anya Taylor-Joy and Johnny Flynn are delightful as Emma and Knightly.

4 Gentlemen out of 5 

• Upvote 1

Playing With Fire

Took the kids to see this because it's half term, it's pissing down and it was the £3 a ticket film.

It's a Nickelodeon John Cena vehicle which was surprisingly enjoyable. Laugh out loud funny in places, surprisingly poignant at times and has a few good action bits.

I thought it was pretty good 3/5

Kids absolutely loved it 5/5

Birds of Prey yadda yadda Harley Quinn: Absolute shite. A weak script, terrible story and apart from Margot Robbie some truly poor performances. Fuck knows what Euan McGregor was attempting, but he came across like Elton John throwing a strop. 

2 Skulls out of 5 (both for Margot Robbie) 

32 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

2 Skulls out of 5 (both for Margot Robbie) 

Not even one skull for Mary Elizabeth Winstead? :( Huntress had one of the best running jokes in the movie:

Spoiler

her badass vigilante name never getting quite the reaction she'd intended.

Airplane 2.  No idea how to score it outta 5. Not seen it for many many years and it is about as far from pc as you can get.  About half the jokes still land though.:wacko:

• Upvote 1

Jojo Rabbit

Just an excellent, excellent film all round. The whole story is brilliant, even if you just take it on face value. It has a load of great characters, almost all of whom are acted brilliantly. It's all kinda sweet throughout, since it's all seen through a naive ten year old's eyes. There's a lot of laughs, some unbelievably sad parts. Were it not for the whole Hitler / war bits, it could almost be a kids film. I just loved it throughout.

And it has a really important message to get across, which it does really well.

One of the best films I've seen for a while. I honest wish I could give it more than 5/5

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, Nick R said:

Not even one skull for Mary Elizabeth Winstead? :( Huntress had one of the best running jokes in the movie:

Reveal hidden contents

her badass vigilante name never getting quite the reaction she'd intended.

She was the best character behind Harley Quinn, the computer generated hyena and the egg sandwich. 

VFW

Veterans Of Foreign Wars - essentially Assault on Precinct 13, with Vietnam vets. Borrows heavily from Carpenter, taking massive cues from Assault and Escape from New York. Even the titles and soundtrack. 

Very Grindhouse, 80s video about it. Headed by a grizzled Stephen Lang, who is supported by a great turn from William Sadler, Fred Williamson and Martin Kove, amongst others. Lots of blood and axes to the head, but nothing you haven’t seen before. A couple of quiet, reflective moments work well, but after a bloody opening it takes its time to get going.

A very dark film, with some scenes being near darkness. Entertaining enough for a Friday night, but quite forgettable.

2.5/5

Ford v Ferrari

A film set in the mid 60s where Ford tried to revitalise their flagging brand by making an offer for Ferrari, which old Enzo promptly refuses and tells them to get fucked back to making ugly shit cars. This in turn provoked Ford to try and hit 'em where it hurts by building the best racing car in the world and winning the Le Mans 24hr. I knew absolutely zilch about any of it (except that the Ford GT was a gorgeous classic), and wondered how faithful the film would be, would we get a Hollywood ending, etc. Actually, where it really counted, it was all too bloody faithful, I could have done with a romanticised, sunshine rainbows & lollipops take by the time the end credits rolled but more on that later.

Despite the name, Ferrari plays little part in it, only really serving as a distant, almost mythical beast Ford's protagonists set out to slay. The heart of the film is the dynamic between Matt Damon's Caroll Shelby and Christian Bale's Ken Miles. Shelby, a Le Mans winner forced into early retirement, makes the car while Miles, a prickly, no nonsense Brummie ex-pat mechanic and part-time racer, does the testing. Both chaps are great in the roles (though there's part of my brain that still baulks at Matt Damon doing middle aged parts, it's like my sense of mortality slapping me in the face with a wet codpiece) and are crucial to its success. The other part, naturally, are the race scenes. While there's the usual chonky gear change/pedal down stuff, the sense of speed conveyed is terrific as cars navigate wreckage ahead or hurtle into the pitch black French night at terrifying velocity, with corners less a piece of road and more a lurking predatory animal set to ambush them.

Then you get to the ending, which is a matter of historical record but I'll put in spoiler tags anyway.

Spoiler

It's an enough of a gut punch as it is that Miles finishes first but still loses due to a combination of corporate PR bullshit and bizarre race regulations but eh, he gets over it, Shelby puts his arm around him and says "we come back and get it for you next year". But then you get the size 12, steelcapped Doc Marten to the nutsack watching helplessly along with everyone else as Ken Miles is killed soon after testing the new car. It completely flattened me. Ignorance is bliss, and I'd certainly rather have never known about any of this. Give me my happily ever after, damn it.

I kid, I kid, I wouldn't want a inaccurate/non-faithful version, of course not. I really enjoyed the film, just that one-two punch in the last 10 minutes takes the wind right out your sails.

Awesome trash-talking Brummie drive-bys/5

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Ford v Ferrari

A film set in the mid 60s where Ford tried to revitalise their flagging brand by making an offer for Ferrari, which old Enzo promptly refuses and tells them to get fucked back to making ugly shit cars. This in turn provoked Ford to try and hit 'em where it hurts by building the best racing car in the world and winning the Le Mans 24hr. I knew absolutely zilch about any of it (except that the Ford GT was a gorgeous classic), and wondered how faithful the film would be, would we get a Hollywood ending, etc. Actually, where it really counted, it was all too bloody faithful, I could have done with a romanticised, sunshine rainbows & lollipops take by the time the end credits rolled but more on that later.

Despite the name, Ferrari plays little part in it, only really serving as a distant, almost mythical beast Ford's protagonists set out to slay. The heart of the film is the dynamic between Matt Damon's Caroll Shelby and Christian Bale's Ken Miles. Shelby, a Le Mans winner forced into early retirement, makes the car while Miles, a prickly, no nonsense Brummie ex-pat mechanic and part-time racer, does the testing. Both chaps are great in the roles (though there's part of my brain that still baulks at Matt Damon doing middle aged parts, it's like my sense of mortality slapping me in the face with a wet codpiece) and are crucial to its success. The other part, naturally, are the race scenes. While there's the usual chonky gear change/pedal down stuff, the sense of speed conveyed is terrific as cars navigate wreckage ahead or hurtle into the pitch black French night at terrifying velocity, with corners less a piece of road and more a lurking predatory animal set to ambush them.

Then you get to the ending, which is a matter of historical record but I'll put in spoiler tags anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

It's an enough of a gut punch as it is that Miles finishes first but still loses due to a combination of corporate PR bullshit and bizarre race regulations but eh, he gets over it, Shelby puts his arm around him and says "we come back and get it for you next year". But then you get the size 12, steelcapped Doc Marten to the nutsack watching helplessly along with everyone else as Ken Miles is killed soon after testing the new car. It completely flattened me. Ignorance is bliss, and I'd certainly rather have never known about any of this. Give me my happily ever after, damn it.

I kid, I kid, I wouldn't want a inaccurate/non-faithful version, of course not. I really enjoyed the film, just that one-two punch in the last 10 minutes takes the wind right out your sails.

Awesome trash-talking Brummie drive-bys/5

Is it streaming somewhere?

Greed - 2/5

Coogan has fun as the self-made billionaire, and Isla Fisher is her usual dependable self. Shame the rest of the film muddles it’s good intentions, coming off as far too on-the-nose and preachy, rather than sharply written, not helped by being too broad with its digs.

The PowerPoint presentation prior to the end credits feels particularly heavy-handed, diluting the flurry of “...and another thing that should make you angry!” messages.

• Upvote 1