rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Booksmart 

This was so good, possibly one of the greatest teen movies I have ever seen

5/5

Only Yesterday

No idea why it took me so long to see this as I would comfortably put it in my top 5 Studio Ghibli films off all-time.

5/5

• Upvote 3

The English Patient

Absolutely sumptuous adaptation of the novel which is also well worth checking out. I'm not sure how this is thought of nowadays and the script is somewhat obvious but is still masterful stuff with a stunning central performance from Fiennes.  

4.5/5

12 hours ago, Popo said:

@iknowgungfu if you haven’t already seen it I would fully recommend following up Ladybird with Little Women. Greta Gerwig and Saoirse Ronan bottle lightning once again with the added bonus of Florence Pugh giving a blow for blow excellent performance. 

I plan to.... Just didn't get chance to see this at the cinema.  

Uncut Gems

This was really great but I've never felt so stressed in my life watching a film. Those last 30 minutes fucked me up. Sandler was so good in this, I completely agree with those who talked him up for award nominations. 

4/5 

Katie - 3/5

Documentary about Ireland's boxing world champion Katie Taylor, currently on Netflix. Often veers into promotional material, but earns a decent score thanks to revealing a bit more about Taylor's mindset. She's a pioneer in her sport, and deserving of being a bigger sporting star because of her talent.

The Personal History of David Copperfield - 4/5

Thoroughly enjoyed Armando Iannucci's Dickens adaptation; it strikes a lovely balance between manic and poignant, with the occasional directorial flair adding a whimsical flourish. Less scathing than his previous films, but all the better for it given the material. Dev Patel is very good as the titular David too.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Minion said:

'71

This was damn good up until the final 20 minutes which pretty much ruined an otherwise good film, shame.

3/5

Bit of pointless trivia with this one. You know the bit where he gets chased into a really shitty, war torn area of the city and ends up going through an alleyway and into an abandoned house? The alleyway in question is behind my brother's house, he actually runs past the front of said house n the way in. Given how crappy and worn down they were trying to make out the area was, it shows what kind of area you end up in if you buy a house for £20K (about four years ago)

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Bit of pointless trivia with this one. You know the bit where he gets chased into a really shitty, war torn area of the city and ends up going through an alleyway and into an abandoned house? The alleyway in question is behind my brother's house, he actually runs past the front of said house n the way in. Given how crappy and worn down they were trying to make out the area was, it shows what kind of area you end up in if you buy a house for £20K (about four years ago)

Where was that then, actually in Belfast or elsewhere? It was really well done up until the final parts, I can't imagine the budget was huge, such a shame that a badly written ending can tarnish a good film.

Peeping Tom

An under appreciated classic that I imagine most of the world has never heard of. It might not reach the heights of The Red Shoes but it's pretty close in its magnificence. 

Peerless in every aspect 

5/5

• Upvote 2

I had a great afternoon at the cinema today.

The Personal History of David Copperfield

A delightfully, funny, charming, sweet and wonderfully acted film, with the added appeal of almost half of it having been filmed in Hull.

4/5

Jojo Rabbit

At times, I almost felt guilty laughing while watching this, and it pretty much had me laughing throughout the film.  It was also a really sweet story, and like David Copperfield, the cast was wonderful, especially the young boy playing the titular character and Scarlett Johansson

4.5/5

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Where was that then, actually in Belfast or elsewhere? It was really well done up until the final parts, I can't imagine the budget was huge, such a shame that a badly written ending can tarnish a good film.

It's in Liverpool. Kinda Wavertree / Toxteth way, if you know the city.

• Upvote 1

Birds of Prey - 3/5

If ever a film can get dragged along by the sheer force of a personality, this is it. Margot Robbie has an absolute ball as Harley Quinn, and the audience almost gets to have as much fun as she’s clearly having.

Small in scale, but big on style, think it sags a bit in the middle, but on the whole is irreverently enjoyable and a nice change of pace for DC.

• Upvote 2

Snowpiercer 

After the Oscar wins I thought I would check out one of his films. I thought this was equally bonkers and brilliant and pretty much loved it. Another film with a stellar cast, I had no idea it was Swinton until the credits rolled.

4/5

Is Snowpiercer available to stream, @sandman?

Edit - do ignore me, I checked and it’s on Prime. Thanks for the prompt though, I would have overlooked it otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

I'm off work sick at the mo, so have sat and watched a couple of films

Skin

The true story of one man's attempts at leaving his violent, racist past behind him. An interesting film that shows how right wing gangs prey on the lost, troubled and needy. The main character considers the skinhead gang his only family and can't imagine life without them. It all changes when he gets an actual family outside the gang. And that's where his troubles start. It's an interesting watch, if a little bleak. Something I liked about it, and this may sound a little weird to say, was that the woman who changed his life wasn't amazing looking, it wasn't Margot Robbie or the like, which I felt added a certain something to it, somehow. 

A good watch, full of good performances 4/5

The Crazies (the remake)

Not a lot to say about this. It was entertaining, but nothing special. Competent. 3/5

Beasts of no Nation

This was a fantastic film. It details a young African (I can't remember if the country was mentioned at any point) boy's horrific journey through a bloody civil war. After his family are killed, he is swept up by Idris Elba's rebel "battalion", where is he brainwashed into committing terrible atrocities. The cheapness of life us evident throughout, from his family being killed for no good reason, to his killing civilians on the whim of his "commandant". There's a few especially hard to watch scenes, but it never felt unnecessary. While the main character survives, the ending is still incredibly tragic. 

Well worth watching, but you won't cone away feeling good about the world. 5/5

• Upvote 1

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Long been a favourite of mine, stuck it one last night and let my 8 year old watch it with me. Still had my misting up at the end and singing along all the way through. I love it. 5/5

Horse Girl (2020)

Alison Brie plays Sarah, a socially withdrawn craft store salesperson, that starts to question her grip on reality. It’s essentially a film about a persons struggle with mental illness, and therefore has its fair share of surreal moments which are left to the viewers interpretation. I had a few issues with it, but overall found it to be interesting and watchable. Watched on Netflix.

3/5

Horrors of Malformed Men (1969)

60’s Japanese horror about a medical student who escapes a mental asylum, discovers his dead doppelgänger and travels to a remote island where all sorts of crazy shit gets unearthed about his past. 

Truly bizarre and at times unintentionally hilarious, I’m not sure I could ever ‘recommend’ it as such, but at the same time, I was gripped and felt compelled to watch it through to its brilliantly bonkers finale. Rented on Prime video.

3/5

The Personal History of David Copperfield - 4/5

Well made and performed in almost every way.   My only gripe is a political one (ie. How Heep is made out to be The Only Bad Man, and the message that if you're just nice enough to everyone you eventually become rich), but overall it was excellent. 

I really loved the mixed race casting, and how it wasn't even a thing in terms of relevance. Quite refreshing and felt a bit like looking at a world without racism. But still, dat class struggle, man. 

On 08/02/2020 at 03:34, Raoull duke said:

Have you seen Chef? A universe in which Jon Favreau has tanked Sofia Vergara and Scarlet Johansen... And he isn't even rich in it. 

Directed by Jon Favreau.

• Upvote 5

Blue Ruin: Having missed this film's brief appearance in the cinema upon it's release, I belatedly have watched it thanks to it being added onto Netflix. A slightly underwhelming experience if truth be told, with none of the Coen Brothers flair or humour (which I had been lead to believe ran through this film, despite it not being connected to said directors). A simple revenge tale about a man out of his depth. Not a bad film by any stretch and all happens within an hour and a half. 

3 Skull out of 5

After Midnight. Weirdaf horror drama thing that came out today.  Seemed low budget but pretty excellently acted and shot. Was interesting and kept me intruiged til the end. 

4/5.