rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Jurassic world: Fallen kingdom

Was curious to see how bad it was , it's pretty terrible  but I was surprised with how tedious the whole thing was. Pratt and  Howard look bored  and the only real surprise was that the baddie pointed out how complicit our heroes were in creating the situation and effectively their moral bankruptcy (not in so many words) and they had no answer.A rare moment of clarity in a messy  series that probably still makes truckloads of cash so won't end soon.

1/5

• Upvote 1

One Cut Of The Dead 5/5.

Been told by a guy in work to watch this and sat with Mrs Majestyk for the first 30 odd mins promising her it would get good. By the end we were both crying with laughter. Highly recommend watching without reading any reviews. 

• Upvote 1

Fighting With my Family

A laugh out loud feel-good movie with some great performances from Florence Pugh as the lead, Nick Frost as her dad and Jack Lowden as her brother. Based very closely on a true story. Currently in Netflix - recommend!

4/5

• Upvote 2

Quarantine (1989)

Whenever I see films like this written, produced and directed by someone, I approach with caution. And this is no exception. It probably made sense to Charles Wilkinson, it was doubtless his vision, but sadly on this occasion it wasn't enough of a shared vision to make this a worthwhile watch. Very slow, strangely paced drama, a bold attempt to create atmosphere, definitely a case of your mileage may vary. It's a dystopian drama set in a world where there is some virus on the loose, there's a fascist government in control, sending people into quarantine. It's social commentary basically, but so obtuse it doesn't really work, for me anyway.

1.5/5

• Upvote 1

Uncut Gems. 5/5

It started strange, that music and the sound mix felt all wrong but I soon realised it was intentional. An intense ride with Howie for 2 and a bit hours. Excellent movie, very interesting to watch and try and absorb / process! 

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

You have to try real hard to suspend your disbelief that Charlize Theron would be attracted to Seth Rogan. 

Have you seen Chef? A universe in which Jon Favreau has tanked Sofia Vergara and Scarlet Johansen... And he isn't even rich in it. 

• Upvote 2

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

3 stars - this was a decent* choice for family movie night. Quite knowing, but fun and not really cynical. Had some laugh out loud moments. Probably would have been better with 15 minutes chopped off but enjoyable just the same.

(* I wanted to show the kids Beetlejuice but got outvoted)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Goose said:

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

3 stars - this was a decent* choice for family movie night. Quite knowing, but fun and not really cynical. Had some laugh out loud moments. Probably would have been better with 15 minutes chopped off but enjoyable just the same.

(* I wanted to show the kids Beetlejuice but got outvoted)

That's how I felt about the film. The fourth wall breaking moment around the dinner table at the start is brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Is the Dora film suitable for a 5-6 year old?  My daughter has never got into Dora but I feel like she might enjoy something like this. 

Has this thread replaced this thread? I was looking for it but it's quite a few pages back now:

Anyhoo, Queen and Slim 3 / 5

The opening is great. The scene with the cop feels very believeable and as an audience, you struggle to see a way the protagonists could've handled it better. As the film goes on, credulity is stretched, and guess how much you care about that depends on whether you're swept up by the more romantic / emotional aspects. I see the film as largely being about a desire for self-determination and dignity, so all those Thelma and Louise comparisons people have been making are perfectly apt. After the opening it seems happy to detour continually from the main plot and ruminate on these themes. It is quite long. I think I would've preferred a taut thriller, but instead I got an leisurely cinematic experience, with some interesting ideas, great visuals and a stellar soundtrack.

Also saw Parasite 5 / 5 but I'll post more about that in its own thread.

2 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Is the Dora film suitable for a 5-6 year old?  My daughter has never got into Dora but I feel like she might enjoy something like this. 

Yeah definitely. I took my 6 and 3 year old to see it and they both enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

Rambo: Last Blood (2019)

Essentially Rambo does Taken, with John Rambo reduced to almost invincible gruff badass in a super-lazy, super-underwritten revenge tale that reinforces every bad stereotype about Mexicans. You won't find any shred of subtext regarding war, or see Rambo get involved in a conflict, even in a totally OTT way. This is straight-up brainless revenge. The story takes ages to get going, the baddiees are cartoonishly awful, you wonder how they managed to get where they were being so inept especially towards the end. It does have a high gore factor, which is welcome in this era of CGI blood, it's just a shame it's part of such a lazy film. But hey it's Sly in his dotage, being the old hero and all that.

2/5

Was all set to watch Uncut Gems but I am very tired tonight. After watching Good time the other day I thought I'd better save it for a day when I have a bit more energy!

Midnight Special

4/5

Nice suspenseful Sci Fi movie. Liked how the film starts out where most movies would have as the middle. Lots of questions left unanswered which I get the feeling was intentional. 

• Upvote 2

I've got myself a Sky Cinema pass for a few weeks on Nowtv to catch up on stuff I've wanted to watch for a while. Got a long list of things but started with the last 2 Avengers movies (4/5 each, entertaining, impressive spectacles but never been a huge fan of superhero stuff really)

Dogman (2018) 4/5 - Italian dog groomer/small time crook & dealer coming to terms with being picked on by his town's huge, criminal bully. Set in a somewhat delapedated Italian seaside town where everyone seems to know everyone else. Loved this. Absorbing story and great characters and although they don't really have much to do with the plot, the dogs in it are wonderful. 4/5 but a better 4/5 than I gave the Avengers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Bait (2019)

Seemed a good choice to watch while Storm Ciara rages outside. Bloody loved it.

5/5

Now do The Lighthouse

Ladybird 4/5

Great coming of age film which somehow manages to deal with some of the more cliche themes we see in these types of movies with delicacy and (dare I say it) maturity.  Would happily watch Saorse Ronan do anything given she manages to make everything she does on screen look meaningful and important. 

• Upvote 5

@iknowgungfu if you haven’t already seen it I would fully recommend following up Ladybird with Little Women. Greta Gerwig and Saoirse Ronan bottle lightning once again with the added bonus of Florence Pugh giving a blow for blow excellent performance. 

• Upvote 1

Screenshot_20200210-123915_Letterboxd.thumb.jpg.cb6a21385d273ae6d1c80a472eb87d29.jpg

Colour Out of Space - Not sure how to describe this other than it being trippy as hell. I genuinely can't believe this book was published in 1927, Lovecraft was truely ahead of his time.

Jojo Rabbit - Really enjoyed this. It's hilarious but has real drama and emotional weight to it. The plot description and trailer make it look like something completely different. Yes, it has Hitler as a little boys imaginary friend and a lot of laughs come from that but theres also a point to this inclusion which makes more sense as the film goes on. Scarlett Johansson was really good as the boys mother and the central relation ship between Jojo and a Jewish character is perfect.

Little Woman - I actually can't decide if I gave this too low a score tbh. I keep hovering between 4/5 and 5/5. The script, acting and directing is all brilliant. I really enjoyed and just loved the relationships between the sisters. Florence Pugh and Saoirse Ronan are both fantastic, especially Ronan who I just adore more with every new movie I see her in. I reckon if I watch this again  it'll go up to 5/5.

True Romance - I don't know how I got this far without ever watching this. You can tell Tarantino wrote it, the script has his finger prints all over it. Scott obviously injects his touches into it but it feels like it's a quintessential QT film. Its sharp, witty, fun with a brilliant star studded cast. The central relationship between Alabama and Clarence is perfect and really has you routing for them.

Good Boys - Teenage toilet humour comedy but rather than being the typical sexed up, drunk late teens this one centres around 3 very naive 11 year olds. Its light hearted and has some very funny gags.

• Upvote 1

Galveston

I really wanted to give this a 5 due to the cast and author of the source, but am settling on a 4.

Great execution, in particular the performances of Foster and Fanning, but it ideally would have had a longer running time necessitated by a deeper plot. Some may argue that the simplicity works in its favour, which would be fair; I just wanted more of this very good thing and came away a little unsatisfied.

Uncut Gems

It was alright, but just not that interesting. I see lots of reviews using words like "tense", "stressful", "fast paced" and "intense", I didn't think it was any of those. Wasn't a fan of the sound mixing, but I thought it was full of great acting, especially from Adam Sandler and I really liked his character, despite the fact he was a complete arsehole.

My wife hated it to the point that after half an hour or so, she voluntarily went and did the washing up instead of watching the rest. She NEVER does the washing up.

3/5

• Upvote 1

Surely that means it's up for weekly rewatches, @ScouserInExile??

Anyway....

'A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood' - strange wee film. Obviously missing something by not having a childhood attachment to Mr Rodgers but enjoyed it for what it was. Probably says something about me that I was constantly waiting for some dark side of him to be revealed but no, he just appears to be a very nice person - odd but nice. 3/5

'Dr Doolittle' - Jesus Christ. All the rumours are true. A disater from start to finish. Downey's Welsh Accent!! Expect Iron Man to come back in Phase 4 of the MCU based on this box office alone. Tragic that this was a labour of love for Downey and instead it's a gigantic pile of shite. 0/5 - AVOID

Hardware (1990) 5/5

Have not watched this since the year it came out, but having loved Color Out Of Space so much, I thought I’d revisit it. Such an absolute classic of its genre. I’d totally forgotten just how good it was. So sad that Richard Stanley went so long without making films.