rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Revenge

Dir: Coralie Fargeat

Stylish and brutal all men are bastards revenge movie thats sexy, energetic and witty. Almost runs out of steam, but it's directed with a great energy so gets away with it. 

3.5/5

Hellboy (2019)

What the heck? What is it with trying to turn comics into R rated films? Apparently there is some swearing in Hellboy but I don’t ever recall it in the (utterly brill) stuff I’ve read. It was the same with Wolverine with geeks wanting an R rated film for years despite the comic being suitable for all ages. 

A good cast is wasted and some of the casting is bizarre. The film does at least have a decent climax and at least it wasn’t a retread of the Del Toro pics, but an awful lot of it is terrible and laughably bad. 

I thought some of the CGI was poor in Tomorrowland but it was amazing compared to this (think Lost in Space film from the 90s). 

2/5

On 17/01/2020 at 20:22, teddymeow said:

Land of the Dead is a sequel to the Toy Story trilogy?!

no it is the sequel/4th film to the BEST trilogy of all time - try and keep up :)

To post on topic as I actually watched a new film for once...

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 2.5/5

I'd missed this one somehow as I tend to try and watch most zombie films even the really dodgy modern ones. This was meh, better than I'd heard it was but not a real success. The mashup between "pride and Prejudice" time-wimey and zombies was interesting and having zombies in a more classical setting is interesting. Problem is that the film and book are hamstrung by this because they are so intent on playing up the mashup with "cleverly" reworded speeches that you lose interest in the plot (which tends to dive off a cliff). The idea of 18th Century britain having zombies and they are coherent and capable of thought is a rich vein to be mined but utterly wasted by having it bolted to slavishly trying to shoehorn everything into the plot of Pride and Prejudice

A few stand out moments and action but buried under a pile of mediocrity.

Psycho - Man, this must have caused so many heads to spin right off back in the day. Hitch is in the all time top 3 directors, a total master of his art. Anthony Perkins is incredible. 

5/5. On Netflix.

• Upvote 4

Vice

I don't think this needed to have been made really. That said I kinda enjoyed it? Rockwell's performance was really good I thought.

2.5 triple cheeseburgers to hide Bale's acting chops behind, out of 5.

Color Out Of Space (2020) 5/5

Richard Stanley returns after a 30 year hiatus to direct a H P Lovecraft adaptation staring Nicolas Cage about an alpaca farmer whose yard is invaded by an alien meteor, leading to all sorts of weird shit.

Its every bit as good as it sounds.

Welcome back Richard Stanley.

• Upvote 6

These are all the films I've watches this week.

Screenshot_20200120-001357_Letterboxd.thumb.jpg.f6a3a1cf1c208bf0284854fb21786d43.jpg

A Cinderella Story - My 6 year old picked this and its utter shit, the "Prince Charming" character is thick as shit. Jennifer Coolidge as the wicked stepmother was very funny though, but then again she always is.

OUATIH - Really enjoyed it and thought the 2 leads were excellent. I enjoyed being in their world.

1917 - Amazing. See @kerraig UK post in the main thread as to why

Homeward Bound - A classic from my childhood, I knew my daughters would love. They did. Not as good to watch as an adult but still enjoyable. Some questionable acting mind.

Gangster Granny - A BBC adaptation of a David Walliams book. The ending was really melancholic.

Lady Bird - A wonderful coming of age film. Saoirse Ronan was really great (it's easy to see why she's on 4 Oscar nominations at only 25) and her character was completely not what I was expecting, which was quite a delight. Theres a fantastic piece of dialogue in a changing room between Lady Bird and her mother.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Interesting set up at the start, then 2 hours of chaos and bullshit. Bit of a stinker.

28 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Richard Stanley returns after a 30 year hiatus to direct a H P Lovecraft adaptation staring Nicolas Cage about an alpaca farmer whose yard is invaded by an alien meteor, leading to all sorts of weird shit.

I'm so glad he's pulled this off. Gonna go watch it soon.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Is this on release now? I was excited about this before but your review is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

So I’ll admit a certain fondness for 90’s Kevin Smith movies but haven’t watched anything since turning off his pervert clown movie after about 20 minutes. From what I’ve read I haven’t missed much but I thought I’d give this a look. 

Dated, unfunny and embarrassing. 

1/5 if only for the Stan Lee appearance in the end credits (the highlight of the film)

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Is this on release now? I was excited about this before but your review is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I watched it through non legal means. Will definitely go see it on the big screen if it gets a release though, as the visuals are great.

Doomed 4/5

A documentary about the Roger Corman produced Fantastic Four film.  I found it absolutely fascinating. 

The Report 4/5

Kylo Ren writes a report to expose the CIA’s torture programme.  I though it made good use of the flashbacks/timeline to give the view a good understanding of how it all fitter together and unfolded.  It also did a good job showing the political manoeuvrings around the report.

It's my daughter's 13th birthday today so we went to see Weathering With You.

I've never seen anime at the cinema but this one should be seen on the big screen. The animation is glorious. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it made my daughter's day as she didn't know we were going. 5/5

I only knew of it because I saw Kermode review it on Saturday morning. It's a really great film.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I've never seen anime at the cinema but this one should be seen on the big screen. The animation is glorious. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it made my daughter's day as she didn't know we were going. 5/5

I only knew of it because I saw Kermode review it on Saturday morning. It's a really great film.

Thanks for the reminder. Your Name is one of my favourite films so I've been eagerly anticipating Makoto Shinkai's follow up. Is it suitable for a 6 year old?

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Thanks for the reminder. Your Name is one of my favourite films so I've been eagerly anticipating Makoto Shinkai's follow up. Is it suitable for a 6 year old?

It's subtitled and I'd say it has some vaguely suggestive moments but it's not really adult. It's a 12A. 

The mix of hand drawn and digital animation is beautiful in parts.

It's quite sad in places (not Grave of The Fireflies sad) but it's a happy ending film. I'd say probably not. It's a coming of age film that might not be that understandable to a 6 year old. It's gorgeous to look at though. Water animated a thousand wonderful ways.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

It's subtitled and I'd say it has some vaguely suggestive moments but it's not really adult. It's a 12A. 

The mix of hand drawn and digital animation is beautiful in parts.

It's quite sad in places (not Grave of The Fireflies sad) but it's a happy ending film. I'd say probably not. It's a coming of age film that might not be that understandable to a 6 year old. It's gorgeous to look at though. Water animated a thousand wonderful ways.

Subtitled alone means she out, she wouldn't be able to keep up. I think I'll just have to wait and watch his films with her when she's older.

Daybreakers

Ive watched a few dodgy movies recently, that Will smith film and the new Hellboy. But Daybreakers makes them both look like Vertigo. One of the worst films I've seen in recent years it has nothing to recommend it. It looks awful, wastes a talented cast and goes nowhere. I'm wondering why it ever got made. It isn't entertaining in any shape or form. I think it was trying to ape Dark City in its style, but it fails miserably.

0/5

Orgazmo - 5/5

Still totally brilliant. Orgazmo. Chodo Boy. Hamster style. Now you’re a man. Just get in there, fuck-boy. KII-YAAAAH!

Fury - 3.5/5

Would have scored higher but for the ending which is the weakest and most uninteresting part of the film.  The section where they capture the German town and the fight with the Tiger tank straight afterwards is as good as any war film out there.

On 20/01/2020 at 21:37, neoELITE said:

Oh man. I have to go see this. 

I loved Your Name.

On 20/01/2020 at 00:16, Stigweard said:

These are all the films I've watches this week.

Screenshot_20200120-001357_Letterboxd.thumb.jpg.f6a3a1cf1c208bf0284854fb21786d43.jpg

A Cinderella Story - My 6 year old picked this and its utter shit, the "Prince Charming" character is thick as shit. Jennifer Coolidge as the wicked stepmother was very funny though, but then again she always is.

OUATIH - Really enjoyed it and thought the 2 leads were excellent. I enjoyed being in their world.

1917 - Amazing. See @kerraig UK post in the main thread as to why

Homeward Bound - A classic from my childhood, I knew my daughters would love. They did. Not as good to watch as an adult but still enjoyable. Some questionable acting mind.

Gangster Granny - A BBC adaptation of a David Walliams book. The ending was really melancholic.

Lady Bird - A wonderful coming of age film. Saoirse Ronan was really great (it's easy to see why she's on 4 Oscar nominations at only 25) and her character was completely not what I was expecting, which was quite a delight. Theres a fantastic piece of dialogue in a changing room between Lady Bird and her mother.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Interesting set up at the start, then 2 hours of chaos and bullshit. Bit of a stinker.

Omg what is this app you're using? 

I watched Us last night. Didn't impact the same way Get Out did but I was entranced the whole time & enjoyed it a lot.  Solid performances and I kinda loved how it morphed genres / style on the way. 4/5

Tonight watched It Comes at Night. Aside from the title totally baffling me, I really loved it. Gripping, well paced and tense / terrifying / bleak af. Definitely my kinda horror. 5/5

American Animals. 

What I wrote in that thread...

Just watched this on Prime and it's an instant classic I reckon. Amazing performances from a tiny weeny cast (I counted 5 actual actors?), tense and gripping, it plays out like a modern fable. Lipka seems like an incredibly charismatic and  manipulative person so it felt like every decision the protagonists made was somehow right in the moment but you know it can only end one way, you can't help but feel a degree of sympathy for these guys. The heist sequence was excruciating to watch but just brilliant and hilarious

5/5

• Upvote 2

What did Jack do?

I’ve always seen David Lynch appearing on the screen as an absolute treat, but not only is he on top form in this crime short he’s managed to create a version of himself which quite possible improves on the original. It is sure weird, but I found it very funny too - amazingly it’s on Netflix!

Best 15 minutes of your day/5

What We Do In The Shadows.

Great fun. Taika’s vampire is wonderful and the confrontations with Rhys Darby’s  werewolves made me chuckle. Didn’t know what to expect from this, but it was great fun.

4/5

Dark Shadows.

Terrible, terrible film.

1/5