rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

1917 - 4/5.  An excellent WW1 war movie told virtually in real time.  Well worth a watch.

22 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Our Little Sister

Virtually no conflict or drama, just a sweet little tale of a trio of sisters taking in their orphaned teenage half-sister and living their best lives together. Loved it.

Delightful/5

Yeah I love this film, Kore-eda makes some really beautiful films, life affirming and I say that as a miserable pessimist. 

• Upvote 1

Ladybird

Watched this after being impressed with Greta Gerwigs Little Women. It was very impressive again with the relationships between all the characters being absolutely key. So many touching scenes. 

5/5

*Checks next film Gerwig is making*

Im sure she’ll do well with *Record Scratch* Barbie?

• Upvote 4

The Kid Who Would Be King

Like an old CFF film, with a moderate CGI budget and starring Andy Serkis’s young clone. Too basic, cheesy and patronising in plot and tone, though the kids are decent.

2/5

• Upvote 1

The Sisters Brothers

Entertainingly different and often quirky western, based on Patrick DeWitt’s equally odd book. Excellent performances from the four leads. John C. McGinley is magnificent.

4/5

• Upvote 1

Toy Story 4

Looks absolutely incredible in places in HDR on an OLED.

Standard Toy Story lots of yelling and losing things.

2.5/5

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

The Sisters Brothers

Entertainingly different and often quirky western, based on Patrick DeWitt’s equally odd book. Excellent performances from the four leads. John C. McGinley is magnificent.

4/5

This is on my list. I'll bump it up thanks to this.

1 minute ago, Horribleman said:

Toy Story 4

Looks absolutely incredible in places in HDR on an OLED.

Standard Toy Story lots of yelling and losing things.

2.5/5

Hollywood needs to get over its love of shouting already.

1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

Hollywood needs to get over its love of shouting already.

My daughter is suddenly OBSESSED with Buzz. 

It's sweet relief when she wants to watch 'robots castle' (Laputa) or cheeky hippo (Spirited Away).

• Upvote 1

1917 - 3/5

Was worried it might be a technical marvel with a cold heart, but it's an absorbing thriller filled with emotional connection, backdropped by some beautiful shots of some really quite grim circumstances.

Fighting With My Family - 3/5

Was expecting not much at all. What I got was a nice throwaway film that had a lot more going for it than I ever expected. Some decent performances and a good mix of humour and emotion. 

Wasn't sure what to expect after the trailer as I saw all the big names and thought "looks good but maybe a bit starry". How wrong I was.

It was raw, visceral, emotional, at times beautiful and at times horrifying.

At the end I was a broken mess and the final scene will stay with me for a long time.

5 / 5.

• Upvote 1

Rescue Dawn.

A nice little film with superb acting by Christian Bale.

4/5

• Upvote 1

Wheely

malaysian cars-knockoff

and the reason why we can’t have nice things.

0/10

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Interesting and symbiotic mix of self-indulgence and misdirection.

Meandering middle but strong ending.

Terrific casting and performances.

Weirdly feelgood.

3.5/5

The Report. Super performance from Adam Driver and a very compelling true life story. 4/5. 

• Upvote 1

Star Wars RoS enough content for its own trilogy. Rushed and not given time to breath. A fitting end to a disappointing trilogy. 2/5

Jumanji - The Next Level : doesnt add much to the first one,over does the old confused man stuff massively, and tries for an unearned emotional ending.  3/5

Jojo Rabbit masterful. Not at all what I was expecting. 5/5

Stan & Ollie :  excellent performances but quite dull. 2/5

Everafter : a guilty pleasure of mine. Delightful. 5/5

Ready Player One : disliked on first viewing.  Loved it second time through. 4/5

Angel has fallen : quality has fallen more like. Total nonsense. 2/5

Finding Dory : pretty much Nemo but with a raised silliness level which didn't entirely work for me. 3/5

Power Rangers : Actually more fun than I expected. Took ages to get them rangered up though and I nodded of during the fight at the end. 3/5

Demolition Man : a classic. 4/5

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Fargo said:

The Report. Super performance from Adam Driver and a very compelling true life story. 4/5. 

I thought he was great in it, but it didnt really feel like a film to me. He'd go see his boss, explain his findings, she'd dump a whole load of exposition to the viewer and then we carry on. I'm just not sold on it as an actual movie about people and stuff. Its more like "Here's a thing wot happened"

Shazam

see, it’s very easy to adapt DC source material to the cinema. And I loved the reference to Big .

5/5, though I worry that it’s a backlash against all the shit DC movies.

On 09/01/2020 at 17:17, Bucky said:

The Snowman (2017).  What the fuck?  A film that spends 3/4 of its run time explaining 1/5 of its plot.  Only to rush to the end with zero satisfaction.

2/5.

I have a vague memory of the director being interview and saying they ran out of time & basically didn’t film a third of the script, which would explain a lot.

Rise of the Skywalker.

If I even attempted to over think it...2/5

Because I didn’t...4/5

Perfectly enjoyable, vaguely emotional at a couple of points and suitable rousing at the end. 

Plus, my bladder held out during the viewing which I attribute to:

’Palpatine Pampers’

When the Force is just too strong...

• Upvote 1

The Hateful Eight

A very slow burn, just the way I like my westerns. The only thing I did not like was the narrated parts, it could've conveyed all that information without the voice over, and it seemed lazy to me.

4 bullets / 5

I thought it was good but not brilliant. 

I felt it was a series of scenes designed to show how terrible the war was using incredibly impressive visuals. I think it will win awards because of its subject matter and as a technically clever piece of film making. 

I thought the performances were by the numbers and the characters were pretty forgettable.

I feel bad for saying that of course. Probably a 3/5 for me. 

Joker

A bit of an odd one, this.

Objectively, I can see this is a very, very good film. It's brilliantly shot, the performances are amazing across the board, plot wise it's fantastic and I think it has something to say and says it well.

However, did I enjoy watching it? Not at all, no. I think the fact that it is just so bleak and grim was a large part of the problem, it made it a difficult watch. As did the fact that everyone, especially Arthur / Joker, was so unlikable. 

I also couldn't help thinking that they've just rehashed The King of Comedy for the Anonymous generation.

I'm glad I've watched it, but I have no desire to ever see it again.

Objectively: 4/5

Subjectively: 1/5

• Upvote 3

Mid90s

This was fine. I admire Hills decision to make it feel like a film from the 90s by the way its shot and presented but I don't feel like it really went anywhere or explored some of the avenues it was going down at times. Theres a lot of stuff going on at home with the lead character and his family that doesn't really seem to go anywhere, likewise with one of the friendships he forms. It's fine but didn't grip me and I thought it could have been so much more if Hill had a little bit more conviction.

3/5

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Joker

A bit of an odd one, this.

Objectively, I can see this is a very, very good film. It's brilliantly shot, the performances are amazing across the board, plot wise it's fantastic and I think it has something to say and says it well.

However, did I enjoy watching it? Not at all, no. I think the fact that it is just so bleak and grim was a large part of the problem, it made it a difficult watch. As did the fact that everyone, especially Arthur / Joker, was so unlikable. 

I also couldn't help thinking that they've just rehashed The King of Comedy for the Anonymous generation.

I'm glad I've watched it, but I have no desire to ever see it again.

Objectively: 4/5

Subjectively: 1/5

Making you feel uncomfortable and depressed is kind of the point I think. Which for a summer tentpole is pretty brave. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Absolutely loved it. I can totally understand why people wouldn't, but for me it worked perfectly, and I was onboard for almost every minute of it right up to its glorious finale. 9/10

• Upvote 2