rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Memories of Murder (2003)

Another Bong Joon-ho movie I've really enjoyed, I don't think there's a single film of his I haven't liked. The way he managed to mix in surrealism and comedy into such a serious subject and how quick he can make the tone shift but have it work perfectly is quite astonishing. Song Kang Ho was really good in this, I've been impressed by him in all the films I've seen him in. Again, like the film itself, his ability to shift tone is really excellent, he can go from bubbling fool to despair at the drop of a hat and it doesn't feel jarring at all.

My wife and I were so sure we'd worked out who the killer was

Hide contents

it wasn't until after the film had finished unresolved that we read up on it being a unsolved serial killer case.

4/5 

Spoiler

The case was solved last year. DNA evidence and the guy admitted to it. Sorry can't link but look up Lee Choon Jae.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah boi. Now watch Society but don't read up on it, just watch.

Where is it available? Assume it is the 1989 film?

56 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Where is it available? Assume it is the 1989 film?

Yes, that's it. It's in Shudder, you could get the 7 day trial to watch it.

• Upvote 1

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - 1/5

Will happily never watch whatever Tarantino puts out next, and don't even want to revisit his older stuff off the back of it, even the good films. Genuinely creeped out by his overt leering eye behind the camera.

• Downvote 3

The Snowman (2017).  What the fuck?  A film that spends 3/4 of its run time explaining 1/5 of its plot.  Only to rush to the end with zero satisfaction.

2/5.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

The Snowman (2017).  What the fuck?  A film that spends 3/4 of its run time explaining 1/5 of its plot.  Only to rush to the end with zero satisfaction.

2/5.

Sorry Mr. Police

Venom

Tom Hardy acting like a poor Chris Walken impersonator on a sugar high.

Lacking that spark that's in the "Marvel proper" films but still good fun.

3 chomped heads / 5

Little Women

Never read the book or seen an adaptation. It was quite sumptuous, the performances were strong and the story was nice. Clearly very well directed. 

I appreciated it towards the end more as I warmed to the characters but if it were a modern day piece of writing it would get slammed for being boring. I get that’s why people like it though. One of those films I can appreciate but can’t fall in love with. 

3/5

Round up!

Star Wars - Episode XI: The Rise of Skywalker

A shameful, worthless failure in every possible way.

GTFO/5

Our Little Sister

Virtually no conflict or drama, just a sweet little tale of a trio of sisters taking in their orphaned teenage half-sister and living their best lives together. Loved it.

Delightful/5

Kong: Skull Island

I really should have watched this sooner, it was grand and with a far better cast than this kind of thing usually gets. Megalols at the heroic sacrifice moment from the dude who thought he could go out like Billy in Predator.

Loads of dead monsters and idiot Americans/5

• Upvote 1

That new Hellboy film.  Fuuuuuuuuck offffff.

Joyless, unnecessary, boring.  Lacking any of the charm of the previous movies.  The CGI was dreadful in places but at least it distracted from the script which was unnecessarily brutish.

Not even Swedgin San Francisco cock sucker can save this car crash.

0/5.

9 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Wild Rose

Perfectly pleasant but very sleight dramedy. Needed more depth and laughs. 

3/5

I just saw too and feel very similar

Also 3/5.

Will add this got overhyped due to newcomer Jessie Buckley & her performance

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

I just saw too and feel very similar

Also 3/5.

Will add this got overhyped due to newcomer Jessie Buckley & her performance

I don't agree that this was over hyped. It is sleight, and maybe doesn't have the greatest depth, but I don't think its trying to be anything other than what it is. A simply told feel good movie whith an emotional wallop. Definitely had me in tears.

21 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I don't agree that this was over hyped. It is sleight, and maybe doesn't have the greatest depth, but I don't think its trying to be anything other than what it is. A simply told feel good movie whith an emotional wallop. Definitely had me in tears.

It trickled into maudlin for me. When the son goes "I hate you" I was like, "hmm, bit on the nose that..." 

50 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I don't agree that this was over hyped.

I remember being quite bombarded about it particularly on initial release, perhaps they targeted the campaign a bit (which would be reasonable given it wasn't a 'blockbuster' per se).

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

That new Hellboy film.  Fuuuuuuuuck offffff.

Joyless, unnecessary, boring.  Lacking any of the charm of the previous movies.  The CGI was dreadful in places but at least it distracted from the script which was unnecessarily brutish.

Not even Swedgin San Francisco cock sucker can save this car crash.

0/5.

Twas proper bad.

44 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

It trickled into maudlin for me. When the son goes "I hate you" I was like, "hmm, bit on the nose that..." 

My son says that to me on a weekly basis, so pretty realistic dialogue in my experience :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

My son says that to me on a weekly basis, so pretty realistic dialogue in my experience :)

Lol, I think realistic is a particularly low bar for film dialogue. Most people talk like total morons. 

What I meant was, you could show the effect of her selfishness on her kids through their behaviour, not with them just blurting it out, to much greater effect. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Lol, I think realistic is a particularly low bar for film dialogue. Most people talk like total morons. 

What I meant was, you could show the effect of her selfishness on her kids through their behaviour, not with them just blurting it out, to much greater effect. 

I get what you're saying. I do think the film has moments like that though. The heatbreaking look her mum gives her when she says to her kid "you can have my wish" speaks volumes of the relationship between mother and daughter over the years.

19 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I get what you're saying. I do think the film has moments like that though. The heatbreaking look her mum gives her when she says to her kid "you can have my wish" speaks volumes of the relationship between mother and daughter over the years.

Yeah for sure its there. Dont get me wrong, its a good film. I just didnt think it was a great film. Julie Waters as ever can give absolutely everything just with her eyes. 

I did think the song at the end was bloody great.

• Upvote 1

I think Beast is her best film.

I quite liked Wild Rose. I think the bit when she got to Nashville was really well done.

Spoiler

You're expecting to belt out a song at the Grand Old Opery and get her break but instead she realises maybe she's not good enough and pub singer is her future. 

• Upvote 1