rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

18 hours ago, marlonharewood said:

What did you not like about it?  I watched it a few years ago and enjoyed it as much as the other two.

Making Marcus Brody a sub-carry on level buffoon after him being Indy’s cooler, older mentor in the first film was a really weird and stupid thing to do.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Making Marcus Brody a sub-carry on level buffoon after him being Indy’s cooler, older mentor in the first film was a really weird and stupid thing to do.

same thing happened to salah...

Hail, Caesar. 

Big fan of the Coens but this just felt utterly directionless as a movie. Goes in the Intolerable Cruelty/Burn After Reading pile rather than the Big Lebowski/Oh Brother pile.

2/5

• Upvote 1

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

Tom Cruise battles shady counter-agents in a more Bond like MI outing.

Some brilliant stunts and pithy one liners.

This post will self-destruct in 4 seconds / 5.

Long shot

This appeared on Netflix and I know it had been out at the cinema to alright reviews so the wife and I thought we'd give in a bash.

My god this is awful.  It's looked at other films and thought wow, they did all right with gags like that we should use the same gags but dial the stupidity and crassness up to 10.  It's not funny, stupid juvenile and it probably makes Freddy got fingered look like a well directed film. 

0/5. Don't subject yourself to this and Charlize Theron who has been in some right good films just lowered her stock with this garbage.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Scarecrow
(1973)

Gene Hackman and Al Pacino are two drifters heading out west to open a car wash.

4/5

4 hours ago, tenrou said:

Long shot

This appeared on Netflix and I know it had been out at the cinema to alright reviews so the wife and I thought we'd give in a bash.

My god this is awful.  It's looked at other films and thought wow, they did all right with gags like that we should use the same gags but dial the stupidity and crassness up to 10.  It's not funny, stupid juvenile and it probably makes Freddy got fingered look like a well directed film. 

0/5. Don't subject yourself to this and Charlize Theron who has been in some right good films just lowered her stock with this garbage.

It was pretty poor. Can't imagine why all the word about it was good on release.

I Love You Philip Morris - 3/5

Just ok 

A Cock and Bull Story - 2/5 

I'm a total Stan for Coogan and Brydon but this was shit. Few laughs in it but taken as a whole it was an irredeemable jumble of overly meta shit. 

Interstellar - 3/5

Classic Nolan shit. Great suspense and drama, great production values and whatnot. Story was just fucking stupid. 

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers - 1/5

Saw this in cex and thought it would be dopey trashy fun. Was only two of those things. 

Knives Out - 5/5

I thought it was going to be more like an old-fashioned Sherlock Holmes adventure, so I wasn't sure about it at the start. It totally won me over though, great performances by all, and some really funny bits 

Spoiler

It is not a doughnut hole, but a smaller doughnut, with its own hole!

:lol:

15 hours ago, tenrou said:

Long shot

Yep. Long Shot made me doubt a lot of reviewers and film critics. 

Atomic Blonde

Watched this on actual telly last night, with adverts and everything.

Set in Berlin around the time the wall fell, Charlize Theron is an MI6 agent sent to prevent a list of spies falling into the hands of the KGB, and to uncover a double agent along the way.

The plot itself is pretty thin on the ground and it's essentially just a series of set pieces where Theron does some serious Jason Bourne style ass kicking. The twist is entirely predictable, as is the twist twist.

However, there are stellar performances by Theron and James McEvoy, it's brilliantly shot, amazingly stylish and the music is fantastic. I also liked the fact that, a few times, they subverted the trope that getting the shit beaten out if a character has no lasting effect on them.

It was all really entertaining throughout.

5/5, I think.

The Lighthouse

Holy shit this was fucking brilliant. It looks like a painting and Willem Defoe absolutely smashes it. Total fever dream. Goes straight into my films of the year no doubt.

5/5

• Upvote 6

The Souvenir

Joanna Hoggs autobiographical tale of fractured love while at film school. Too arty and freeform for me. I don't get UK cinema.

2/5

Goldeneye.  25 years ago was obviously a lot longer ago than I realised; the computers look hilarious, some music choices (especially in the opening car chase section) are laughable, the format feels strained and aged, in more enlightened times the sexual politics aren't that fun to be confronted with, especially watching with two young lads.

Famke Janssen's repeated sexy assassination attempts on 007 disturbed my youngest, I'm glad when Bond was going to derail the train he was focusing on other things because that wasn't daytime viewing at all.

Fucking ace still.  4/5.

• Upvote 3

Long shot made me laugh a few times but my highlight as a comics nerd was the Todd Mcfarlane portrait of Rogen. 

If you truly want awful try and make it through The Hustle also on Netflix. Didn't make it past 20mins.

Vox Lux

Started well, meandered for a while, got much much better and then floundered at the very end.

Portman was great.

3.5 / 5

Marriage Story

Old school real human drama with not a moment on screen wasted, an absolute treat. 

4/5

• Upvote 1

Sorry To Bother You

Saw this on Now TV so gave it a go and yeah... it is something alright. Dark comedy, satire, social commentary. I went in blind and after the hald way mark I felt I was watching a Michel Gondry fever dream. I don't even know if I enjoyed it or not, but it was certainly something. 

The fuck / 5

• Upvote 2

The Two Popes

4/5

Pretty fascinating. Has a very old school feel in a good sense. It felt like all scenes had a purpose. 

Very interesting and engaging movie. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bradigor said:

Sorry To Bother You

Saw this on Now TV so gave it a go and yeah... it is something alright. Dark comedy, satire, social commentary. I went in blind and after the hald way mark I felt I was watching a Michel Gondry fever dream. I don't even know if I enjoyed it or not, but it was certainly something. 

The fuck / 5

Yeah boi. Now watch Society but don't read up on it, just watch.

Memories of Murder (2003)

Another Bong Joon-ho movie I've really enjoyed, I don't think there's a single film of his I haven't liked. The way he managed to mix in surrealism and comedy into such a serious subject and how quick he can make the tone shift but have it work perfectly is quite astonishing. Song Kang Ho was really good in this, I've been impressed by him in all the films I've seen him in. Again, like the film itself, his ability to shift tone is really excellent, he can go from bubbling fool to despair at the drop of a hat and it doesn't feel jarring at all.

My wife and I were so sure we'd worked out who the killer was

Spoiler

it wasn't until after the film had finished unresolved that we read up on it being a unsolved serial killer case.

4/5 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah boi. Now watch Society but don't read up on it, just watch.

Hahaha listen to this. Everyone should just watch society without googly. Just watch it. 

• Upvote 1

At Eternity's Gate

Skips across the surface of Van Gogh's life but I really enjoyed the way this was almost shot like a documentary at times, instead of possessing the stillness and reverence some biopics drown in. Some interesting approaches to depicting his illness as well, including use of optical effects during the first person shots.

Willem Dafoe was sublime in it as well- pained, yet calm. Can't wait to see him in The Lighthouse.

3.5/5.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Memories of Murder (2003)

Another Bong Joon-ho movie I've really enjoyed, I don't think there's a single film of his I haven't liked. The way he managed to mix in surrealism and comedy into such a serious subject and how quick he can make the tone shift but have it work perfectly is quite astonishing. Song Kang Ho was really good in this, I've been impressed by him in all the films I've seen him in. Again, like the film itself, his ability to shift tone is really excellent, he can go from bubbling fool to despair at the drop of a hat and it doesn't feel jarring at all.

My wife and I were so sure we'd worked out who the killer was

Hide contents

it wasn't until after the film had finished unresolved that we read up on it being a unsolved serial killer case.

4/5 

Fucking amazing films. Our western brain thinks we know the answers and will solve the puzzle, but the reality is much more complex and ultimately unsatisfying. 

I love this movie.I hope your wife enjoyed it for what it is.