rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Snatch 

Not sure why I made this my last film of the decade. But I’ve not watched it for a few years and I really like those early Guy Ritchie films. 

A messy,  violently and funny 2 hours. One of Brad Pitt’s best performances. 3.5/5

SW rise of skywalker 3/5

not as bad as people make out. Still some stupid ideas. Better than most of the prequel trilogy

goosebumps 2 4/5

Kids movie, horror-lite. well made though. Yeah, I did score it higher than RoS. Don’t @ me...

Honey Let's Shrink Ourselves   Downsizing

Has to be one of the most poorly executed films ever. Being small was of zero significance other than a bit where the guy had a full sized flower and some businesses based on importing big stuff to make lots of small stuff. The story is a fucking mess. It kept introducing shit that could have been interesting setting it up and then just abandoning it and on to the next thing. It's a shame, I thought the core concept had potential and the main cast was great. 

It was also far too fucking long. They should have downsized it by like an hour. 

1/5 

• Upvote 2

Jason and the Argonauts 5/5

... got the teeth of the hydra upon you

Paddington - 4/5

Overshadowed by the sequel (mainly, I think, because Hugh Grant's villain fits the world and tone better than Nicole Kidman's character does), but still really good.

Panic Room - 3/5

Just a coincidence that I watched this at almost the same time as @kerraig UK and others were mentioning it in the Cats thread! I saw most of it about seven or eight years ago - but then my PVR recording died about 20 minutes from the end. Now I've seen it in full, it's entertaining enough, and some of the tense set-pieces work better than others, but the show-offy flashy camera tricks have lost much of their novelty.

Spoiler

(And that police officer must be psychic.)

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 4/5

I didn't get round to it in October, so I crammed in a rewatch of this before December ended! I think more animated musicals should commit to having this kind of music-to-dialogue ratio, instead of half-heartedly letting the songs peter out (like, for example, Frozen). I'm not a huge fan of any of the songs individually, but I love the way the melodies turn up all across the score.

The story makes little sense (who exactly are the Hallowe'en Town residents trying to scare all the time? Each other, or do they venture out into the human world?), but it's one of the best combinations of Burton aesthetic and Elfman music.

Mad Max Fury Road - 5/5

Finishing the decade by rewatching one of the best films of the decade.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. 

Has not aged well at all. 

2/5

The one and only time I ever got caught up by the hype train. Never again. 

Watched Klaus yesterday. Lovely animation, but maybe took a little too long to get going, and didn't really grab me like I thought it would.

3 out of 5.

Furie. Vietnamese revenge drama. 

Not visceral enough. You can see Ngo isn't a martial artist. We've been spoiled by The Raid and it's sequel, and this looks tame by comparison. Also her rescue at the end by pretty boy cop undermines the female empowerment message. 

2/5

• Upvote 1

Avengers: Endgame - 5/5

Still love it and the clock hitting midnight during the portals scene and the below might have been super geeky but a great way to bring in the new year. That scene gets me every time.

Spoiler

2020....ASSEMBLE

1836246656_Screenshot_20200101-213125_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.0a5f5654daf012674e0e1f7f17c702db.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

The new Star Wars film. I literally don't know what it's called and I can't be arsed to Google it.

Great film. Really good. Pretty much just action the whole way through. It felt like a "proper" Star Wars film with a big space battle, a scary villain, heroism, Stormtroopers stormtrooping... A fitting end to the series.

5/5

• Upvote 2

Pretty Woman - hated it when it came out, but then I was 18 and so totally not the target market.  Now, in happily married middle age (no you fuck off), it is pretty good if a little dated. You can see why Julia Roberts was catapulted to stardom.

4/5

Game Over, Man - 2/5

A not very good comedy Die Hard from the Workaholics guys. But I got a decent laugh or two out of it and it was only an hour and twenty minutes long.

Marriage Story - 4/5

Adam Driver was very good. 

Zombieland 2: Double Tap

It's... alright. Both the actors and the characters they play are still great, but there's just not a lot for them to do. There's a big mcguffin and some outright stupidity jammed in just to generate a bit of story and it just shows that they didn't know what to do with the film. And the bulk of the comedy was used up in the first film (which was great, by the way) so this is all just a bit nothing.

Possibly best left dead.

2/5

Jurassic World

Oof. Really bad. 2/5

Chris Pratt as Dr Doolittle and scenes rehashed from the previous films.

Pete's Dragon (new one)

More like a TV show. The kids didn't enjoy it. I didn't either. Karl Urban, why?!??

2/5

JoJo Rabbit - Hilarious, touching, dark, amazing in every respect. I appreciate it's only the 2nd of January but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up my film of 2020. Seriously, you all need to watch it. 

5/5, easy. 

John Wick 3

I think more people died in this than in Rambo. A bit long but it didn't really let up. Keanu Reeves is incredible. 

4/5

• Upvote 1

On 01/01/2020 at 01:29, SeanR said:

Jason and the Argonauts 5/5

... got the teeth of the hydra upon you

Original?

1 hour ago, Dr Nookie said:

Original?

yeah, in nowTV

by a weird coincidence the mini-series remake was on the next day. I watched two parts:

1: Jason London gets the parts Brendan Fraser turned down.

2: the CGI is less believable than the Harryhausen stopframe animation.

3: Brian Thompson is carved from mahogany.

On 01/01/2020 at 09:25, Horribleman said:

2/5

What did you not like about it?  I watched it a few years ago and enjoyed it as much as the other two.

Sicario - 5/5. One of the best films of the last 10 years. Beautifully directed and shot a with some intense suspense and brilliant acting

Sicario 2 - 3/5. Not a patch on the first but still a decent action/thriller.

• Upvote 1

JoJo Rabbit

Was super snobby about it watching the trailers, it looked like it could be a movie where you just see Hitler doing funny things for 90mins. I imagined skits like Hitler going to a pet store and cuddling kittens or something, like 'Haha, Hitler would have never done that!'

but yeah it's mostly well played. The Hitler stuff is justified in the context of the story plot. It's a good film.

3/5

JoJo Rabbit

Didn't like it at all. Managed to make what was probably a reasonable script into a dull and lifeless movie. 

1/5

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

JoJo Rabbit

Didn't like it at all. Managed to make what was probably a reasonable script into a dull and lifeless movie. 

1/5

Yeah, me too. It felt flat. Certainly no Wilderpeople.

On 01/01/2020 at 09:25, Horribleman said:

2/5

It's the crashing Nazis.  And the tomb is dull as shite.

On 28/12/2019 at 21:28, SeanR said:

A:Endgame 5/5 

What does scarlet which mean at the end: “They both do”?

Nat and Vision.