Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Don't Look Now (1973) - UHD BD

image.png.be0e5fda8d8d0d689cbcb7589d7ac215.png

I hadn't seen this before and, after all the praise I'd read and heard for it - a seminal horror thriller, one of the best British films ever made, and so on - I thought it was quite disappointing. I never really found it thrilling, and certainly not scary.

It was interesting, especially in its opening third, and atmospheric (again, to begin with), but I think a lot of its impact rides on how sold you are on the couple's grief after the loss of their daughter, and that never really landed for me; after the very beginning, when Sutherland's character fishes her out of the pond and is obviously distraught, we're suddenly in Venice (an unspecified amount of time later) and both husband and wife are all smiles. Consequently, the sex scene, which is supposed to be this cathartic release after they've spent a long time grieving, comes too early (no pun intended), and it just felt like they were two horny honeymooners, making the most of the fact that their other kid, the son, is conveniently shacked up in some boarding school back in England (if I'd lost a child then I imagine I'd want my other child with me more or less constantly, definitely not in another country, being cared for by strangers).

And the ending was very Partridge.gif, too. I thought it was ridiculous, not disturbing at all. It annoyed me by how anti-climactic it was. I guess you could argue that part of this is due to the fact that this film is almost fifty years old now, but it came out in the same year as The Exorcist, which I also watched for the first time recently, and although I didn't think that was scary, either, parts of it were at least unsettling, whereas this I thought was just a bit silly.

I don't know. Perhaps it's impossible to judge this film now, half a century on from the context in which it was originally released, but I've watched a handful of classics from this period over the last year or so, and many of them have had a lot more impact than this did.

Julie Christie is pretty damn sexy in it, though. Not so much hairy Donald Sutherland, unfortunately.

3/5

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

On the surface this is a quality production that delivers intrigue and excitement, yet the epic scale of the film appears to try to hide its flaws. Bane was never going to be as interesting a villain as The Joker. Being ruthless, having a backstory and making some speeches can't compare to the unique relationship between Joker and Batman. In an age of endless franchise film-making it was good to see Nolan round this trilogy off and give it an ending. If I could give this 3.75 out of 5 I would, but will give it the benefit of the doubt as for all the plot faults and a lacking antagonist this was a good time. Oh yes, and having to sit with the remote in my hand all the way through to constantly adjust the volume was a pain in the arse.

4/5

Gotti - 1996 version -YouTube 

An HBO made for TV job I wasn’t aware of until I watched a video on YT by Michael Franzese talking about it. It’s pretty good. Romanticises the mafia as you’d expect, but it recounts the rise and fall of John Gotti better than that shithouse Travolta attempt. William Forsyth steals the show as Sammy the Bull. Well worth a watch if you like mob movies.

3.77/5

The Swimmers

I think someone on here said it was the best movie they'd ever seen on Netflix. Agreed 100% 

Amazing film, acting, story, direction.

5/5

*Also a reminder why Farage, GBNews, Braverman, etc. need to be strangled to death.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - 3/5

Trying to clear a few films that have been on my IMDb watchlist a while, and plumped for this tonight.

Glad I did. Neat idea, swift runtime and a good cast (mostly Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch, mostly) The end is maybe a little heavy-handed but didn’t put me off too much. And also like that it hasn’t since had a load of unnecessary sequels delving into “the lore”.

(#927)

Soft & Quiet

Intense and a little close to the bone. It's a decent exploration of

Spoiler

how a lot of social and online movements gather pace so rapidly that they have trouble staying on the rails.

I didn't think the ending was perfect, but I hold this genre to a lower standard on that front. How many stick the landing? As long as the journey is fraught, I'm ok with it.

With the little we know about the town, we obviously have no idea if the survivor would get any justice. But that's up to our own fevered imaginations. I would have probably enjoyed a little more in terms of backstory to explain the easy lurches to violence, rather than what seems like a folie a cinq (or however many), but I suppose we just put that down to simmering backwater tension.

I don't think it's intended to be a black comedy as a review mentioned above. It just opens with a disarming tone because... well why on earth wouldn't it? It's the horror genre, and about 80% of them do that.

Between this and Barbarian, that's two 'go in blind' horror films I've seen lately that have left me pleasantly surprised. 

3.75/5

Whiplash

JK Simmons is absolutely mesmerising as an abusive mentor in this exceptional film about jazz drumming and what it takes out of you if you want to be the very best.

Seen this twice now and it's even more compelling second time around. It doesn't offer any easy answers either and leaves you with a lot to think about.

5/5

Barbarian (2022)

Really got into the first half of this where it was doing some really interesting things, then like most novelty horror films it can't quite land and descends into more mainstream tropes.

Spoiler

I thought the interaction between the main two characters at the start were the strongest part of the film, the more phycological unnerving aspect of it. Then it mixes that with mystery areas that continue to open up, it was onto a winning formula there. Even with that character's death, it could have worked if they kept the focus on the environmental storytelling with going from character to character in different times to tell that story. The threat shouldn't have been a living creature, it should have been traps left behind to hide the truth of that house.

Faults

2014 drama - currently on Prime Video - where an author who writes about mind control is tasked with helping a couple recover a daughter who has been controlled by a cult. It starts off with a quirky vibe because the author is such a mess, but the interactions he has with the daughter make the rest of it compelling. The story does kind of go in predictable directions, but the actors help carry it.

3/5

Spirited - 2/5 (Apple TV+)

Has its moments, and a few amusing songs, but still felt a bit bah humbug after watching. Didn't find it as funny as the cast seem to think it is, with the film often becoming indulgent at times, which contributes to that feeling of the film being far longer than it needs to be. Not a terrible 2 by any means, but one that should have been a lot more enjoyable given effort, and talent, involved. Won't be adding it to the annual Christmas film rotation.

(#932)

Felon - Netflix

Good prison film, this. Quite a believable tale about Stephen the Dorff accimadentally moidering a boiglar and ending up like a fish out of water in the US prison system. Until, that is, hardened crook Valerie Kilmer comes along and shows him what’s what. Good acting all around.

A solid, if unspectacular 3/5

The Crazies - 2010 version - Prime free with ads

Very good sci-fi/horror reimagining of the old George Romero film (he was a producer on this). I love a bit of Timmy Olyphant and he’s very good in this here movie. I’d not watched it since it came out and had forgotten quite what a pace it whips along at. It’s absolutely non stop. Some good gory killings and set pieces too. I liked it a lot.

4/5

On 05/12/2022 at 12:58, Capwn said:

Barbarian (2022)

Really got into the first half of this where it was doing some really interesting things, then like most novelty horror films it can't quite land and descends into more mainstream tropes.

Hide contents

I thought the interaction between the main two characters at the start were the strongest part of the film, the more phycological unnerving aspect of it. Then it mixes that with mystery areas that continue to open up, it was onto a winning formula there. Even with that character's death, it could have worked if they kept the focus on the environmental storytelling with going from character to character in different times to tell that story. The threat shouldn't have been a living creature, it should have been traps left behind to hide the truth of that house.

It really is an engaging and interesting film right up until the 

Spoiler

Barbarian

part kicks in. I like your idea of a better alternative ending. Indeed, this would have been a much more highly regarded film if the last 25 minutes had been left on the cutting room floor.

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Felon - Netflix

Good prison film, this. Quite a believable tale about Stephen the Dorff accimadentally moidering a boiglar and ending up like a fish out of water in the US prison system. Until, that is, hardened crook Valerie Kilmer comes along and shows him what’s what. Good acting all around.

A solid, if unspectacular 3/5

Very good sci-fi/horror reimagining of the old George Romero film (he was a producer on this). I love a bit of Timmy Olyphant and he’s very good in this here movie. I’d not watched it since it came out and had forgotten quite what a pace it whips along at. It’s absolutely non stop. Some good gory killings and set pieces too. I liked it a lot.

4/5

Yay! Someone else likes The Crazies remake! Cracking horror romp, and like you say, Timothy Olyphant very good in it.

Top Gun Maverick

It’s an entertaining, well made film but I personally found it a cringe fest. Most of the movie is basically this:

Character 1 “it’s impossible to go past the red line. Tom Cruise do not even THINK about going past the red line because it’s just not feasible ok?”

Tom Cruise “Look at me! I’m going past the red line lol”

Character 2 “OMG he is GOING PAST THE RED LINE!!! how crazy and amazing is Tom Cruise!! 

it’s that for 2 or so hours. 

but it’s good, I managed to enjoy the full movie. When it comes to rebooting an old old franchise from the 80’s, this is as good as they come. 

2/5

13 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

4/5

Ooh thanks for this, I have been planning a rewatch to see if my original positive impressions were correct, but never found it on streaming. My memories of it are it being a really good reimagining that takes the original and spins it its own way. It doesn't try to ape the original which would be pointless as it is also superb in a different way ( way more raw and grimy and different).

The unbearable weight of massive talent

meh , it's ok, entertaining enough but lacks any extra pizazz. The concept is a good one but the execution is middling. The best parts are the buddy movie parts with Pascal, which don't need the central theme/device at all. The poking fun at himself parts just don't hit home well enough, they feel artificial and forced. If you agree to a project like this you have to be prepared to utterly rip the piss out of yourself and let the creatives "have at you" but this felt like it tiptoed around Cage too much.

As twee as Episodes turned out to be (and as far as it petered out) Matt LeBlanc had the balls to just let them do what they wanted. That makes early seasons of Episodes a way better example of this type of "meta" (ffs) show than this one turned out to be.

3/5

6 hours ago, Clipper said:

My memories of it are it being a really good reimagining that takes the original and spins it its own way. It doesn't try to ape the original

It's absolutely this. I'm going out on a limb and saying that I think it's the superior version, but they're sufficiently different that it's a moot point. I've never understood why Timmy never made it as a leading man in big productions. He's excellent in everything I've seen him in and comes across as a very likeable gent. There are so many vacuous, talentless arseholes at the top of the Hollywood tree, it seems criminal to me.

Wildlife - 3/5 (iPlayer)

A bittersweet drama directed by Paul Dano and starring the every reliable Carey Mulligan and, imo the often underrated, Jake Gyllenhaal. Dano's direction is extremely unfussy, allowing the cast plenty of room to act against some beautiful backdrops of small town America. The final shot is outstanding*, can't recall a more striking closing image in recent years, and the ride to get to that point is a very absorbing one.

(#936)

*albeit iPlayer immediately squeezes the credits, probably due to triggers being applied uniformly, rather than someone scheduling their VOD manually with a tiny bit of care. Sorry, working brain kicking in.

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

24 days to go @glb, so close to 1000.

I spent my lunchbreak working out if I can get it done before Christmas :lol: 

But actually I've got a few days working from home between Christmas and New Year, which will likely be needed to pick off the last few. If and when I limp over the line, I'll do a round-up of my futile quest. Weirdly, I think a higher total is possible (at one point I was on pace for over 1,100) but I'm not even entertaining that idea any further. And I'll pick a challenge with a lot more fresh air involved next year.

38 minutes ago, glb said:

I spent my lunchbreak working out if I can get it done before Christmas :lol: 

But actually I've got a few days working from home between Christmas and New Year, which will likely be needed to pick off the last few. If and when I limp over the line, I'll do a round-up of my futile quest. Weirdly, I think a higher total is possible (at one point I was on pace for over 1,100) but I'm not even entertaining that idea any further. And I'll pick a challenge with a lot more fresh air involved next year.

If you can get 3 a day in for the next 3 weeks you're golden.

Drive My Car

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14039582/

A renowned stage actor and director learns to cope with his wife's unexpected passing when he receives an offer to direct a production of Uncle Vanya in Hiroshima.

This is a long film (three hour run-time) based on a short-story. It's told in 6 languages (including Korean sign-language) and spans 2 years. A theatre actor discovers his wife is having an affair, before he can confront her she dies. He's destroyed with guilt and grief and seems to be drifting aimlessly until he is asked to direct a play in Hiroshima.

The film then follows him as he auditions actors for the roles, develops the staging, manages relationships etc all while still grieving his wife. When he starts his work he is surprised to learn that the job comes with a driver who will bring him to and from the theatre every day. At first their relationship is a bit strained but the slowly become friends and they start to discuss their pasts. Every support character is well-written and every story plays out in a satisfying way. 

I know the above isn’t really selling this film but I think it’s the best thing I’ve watched this year. The slow pace let’s everything reveal itself gradually but at just the right speed. The cast are all excellent, it looks amazing - all empty streets at night, beautiful interiors and nice Japanese countryside - there’s a great soundtrack and a perfect ending.

5/5

Edited by Silent Runner