IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

18 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

The Living Daylights (cinema)

Still one of my favourite Bond films and great to see it on the big screen again (since seeing it on original release). The plane stunt at the end is still breathtaking.

5/5

It's the best bond film if you ask me. 

John Wick

Lean, brutal, fantastic action, strong atmosphere, some surprisingly funny dialogue.

I totally buy it when people say "you stole John Wick's car and killed his dog" and sound genuinely terrified because they know they've unleashed the devil. When I read the subtitles for when this words are spoken in Russian I realise that it's an absolutely ridiculous set-up for what's about to happen and I love it even more.

Poor Daisy. Every time... 😥

The cast is great too - Reeves, Dafoe, Nyqvist, Palicki, Reddick, McShane - all brilliant!! Special mention to Jimmy too. 😆

It's the best of the three thanks to its focused vision. I like the sequels but 2 is almost an hour longer than this and it feels it!! I've only seen 3 once so need to revisit it but I don't remember it feeling as long as 2.

5 dinner reservations / 5.

Gosford Park (2002)

What a delight. The most trope-riddled of aristocratic murder mysteries, but executed to perfection: dialogue, acting and direction all coming together to deliver amusement and pathos in equal amount. Somehow multiple actors manage to steal every scene simultaneously. Wonderful.

Such a shame that the screenwriter for this acid, witty film would go on to churn out the tawdry Downton Abbey for years. What a waste of talent.

5/5

Also, I've now discovered that neither this nor Short Cuts (other Robert Altman films may also exist) are available on region B blu-ray, which is frankly a disgrace.

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

Gosford Park (2002)

What a delight. The most trope-riddled of aristocratic murder mysteries, but executed to perfection: dialogue, acting and direction all coming together to deliver amusement and pathos in equal amount. Somehow multiple actors manage to steal every scene simultaneously. Wonderful.

Such a shame that the screenwriter for this acid, witty film would go on to churn out the tawdry Downton Abbey for years. What a waste of talent.

5/5

Also, I've now discovered that neither this nor Short Cuts (other Robert Altman films may also exist) are available on region B blu-ray, which is frankly a disgrace.

Fablously described in a review as a "Who-cares-who-dunnit?" which is perfect.

Everything Everywhere All At Once - 3/5 (screener)

Watched at work so perhaps not the best option but while I enjoyed much of the film’s playfulness, I also got a bit tired with it long before the end credits. Still, a fun, inventive film for the most part, and at least it’s pretty different to most relatively mainstream fare.

(#537)

The Gray Man - 2.5 

Average but passable action film. Chris Evans chews up the scenery and has a ball as the baddie though. Worth watching mainly for him.

Hustle - 3

This started really well. Adam Sandler is very watchable when he plays it serious. I thought his chemistry with Queen Latifah was fantastic as well. Perhaps narrow minded but I wouldn't have thought they would work so good as a screen couple but they were lovely.

It just starts not quite working halfway through. I like basketball but this feels like you need to be a huge fan. The drawn out credits with over long NBA highlights of every player in the film pander to this. I think there is a far better film in here somewhere that got lost along the way.

American Made - 4

Really liked this. Tom Cruise has impeccable taste picking projects and this is no exception. 

It has a very interesting true story that just keeps escalating and if is even half true is completely bonkers. I'd heard this was a lesser Cruise film and maybe trailers suggested it was more of an action film ? I don't know. I thought it was very solid with a sly sense of humour.

All on Netflix.

One Shot

Team of Navy SEALS arrive on an island to retrieve a terror suspect. Group of baddies turn up for the same detainee. Carnage (admittedly, low budget carnage) ensues.

In a similar set-up to 1917, the whole thing happens in a "single take" in "realtime".

It passed 86 minutes and I dozed off for 15 of those so I obviously found it rivetting!!

Has Scott Adkins in it.

2.5 corners checked / 5.

On 26/07/2022 at 10:02, Wiper said:

The same used to be true in DVD days. I remember nearly passing out when I was in Boston and found a copy of the Criterion release of Short Cuts!

The Phantom of the open. 

Not heard of this but the good reviews meant I decided to rent this last night.  Not a fan of sport or golf but this was a heartwarming and funny story about Maurice Fitcroft a shipbuilder,  who enters the Open.

And it just goes from there.  Had no idea about the story as it is based on a true one.

Very well directed by Craig Roberts. 

4/5 

RRR

Excellent romp, but needed an editor willing to trim it down a bit - over 3 hours is stretching things a bit too far. Works well as x2 90 minute films though. 

Reading that this cost $72M to make - versus The Gray Man at $200M - is embarrassing for the latter film. The action direction in RRR alone just pisses over everything in that film, as do the visual effects and stunts. 

No doubt Hollywood will be now be calling on it's director - to ultimately ruin him

Designed to be a cult camp classic - 4/5

Above the Shadows - 2/5 (Prime)

Curious indie film; a young woman has been 'invisible' to everyone, even those closest to her, since her mother passed. That is until she meets a fading MMA star who can see and hear her. Cue a slightly strange sentimental-romance-sports-dealing-with-grief-coming-of-age hybrid of a film that never quite seems sure of which direction it wants to go in so just does all of them a bit inconsistently. Even though it's a bit of a mess, it has something that kept me from not minding it.

(#541)

The Quiet Girl (2022)

This was an absolutely beautiful film. Set in Ireland in the 80s, a young girl from a dysfunctional family stays with an older couple during the summer holidays. Just wonderful and very moving.

5/5

On 25/07/2022 at 17:51, Jamie John said:

Whiplash (2014) -  Netflix

image.thumb.png.c4d1f610c840654a180b37fa4364a2a8.png

The wife and child were out today, so I had the rare opportunity of watching two films back-to-back. This is my second time watching this, and it was just as brilliant as the first. Obviously, Simmons' performance as the relentless music teacher is fantastic, but I thought the transformation that Miles Teller's character undergoes is just as worthy of praise. One of the best endings to a film I've seen in the last ten years, too. Absolutely electrifying - you can feel the tingles.

Superb.

5/5

Crazy that I re-watched it again two week or so ago and rewinded for this shot. It's so fucking cool. Great eye man. Was thinking about that exact moment after saw someone else post a JK Simmons gif on the other page. Great watch.

RRR

I loved it. The direction and action choreography were so good, and really inventive in places. To my surprise i even enjoyed all the singing and dancing.

It kinda felt like a live action adaptation of a 90's era Disney animation. So jolly!

4/5

TO CATCH A THIEF

I'm sure this was well regarded in the 80s. It seems largely forgotten nowadays, a lesser Hitchcock at best. I found it a good yarn, but the last quarter was not much fun at all and felt drawn out. Kelly and Grant are their usual amazing selves but the supporting cast were rather weak.

3/5

SURROGATES

An odd film to be sure with an odd premise. If you go with the flow then this is an entertaining sci fi thriller with some good action scenes and a cast who are really trying.

3/5

BEDTIME STORIES

A real surprise this. An Adam Sandler/disney vehicle from the 00's I thought this was great fun with a real heart. It reviewed poorly, but I found the cast to be excellent (Keri Russell, Guy Pearce and Richard Griffiths are all fantastic). A great family film with real imagination. 

4/5

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

RRR

I loved it. The direction and action choreography were so good, and really inventive in places. To my surprise i even enjoyed all the singing and dancing.

It kinda felt like a live action adaptation of a 90's era Disney animation. So jolly!

4/5

Key thing for me is when you're introduced to Rama Rao's character (in an incredible scene) within 1 second you can see this guy is an incredible screen presence. 100% star power, immediately. And then you want to see what he gets up to.

Western films have completely lost this, parading a variety of bland Chris's at us with no wattage. 

Don't Make Me Go - 2/5 (Prime)

The ending will be hugely divisive, but the pretty standard film that unfolds before that gets by largely on the charms of John Cho, who is such a likeable screen presence. Enjoyed it for what it is but on a different day, or without John Cho in it, may well have shouted rude words at the screen when the thing that happens, happens.

(#543)

Flavors of Youth (2018)

A Netlfix anime billed as being from the team that brought you Your Name, but take that with a pinch of salt. Whilst the animation is gorgeous, the emotional depth it's trying to conveyor just isn't there, especially if you're looking for something on the level of Your Name.

The film is split into 3 short stories spread across three different Chinese cities and it's about as safe an anime as you'll ever get. The first story I actually really enjoyed, it was a little different and the imagery of food was stunning (why does film always look so great in anime?), but the two that followed were rather soap opera esq with one being a fairly generic love story. 

But, I enjoyed it for what it was, a 70min short film with some lovely animation.

3/5

Terminator: Dark Fate

Or, as I am renaming it, Terminator: Dank Fart.

I can't believe this is from the director of Deadpool!! It was just flat. Linda Hamilton can swear!! Wow!! Arnie has taken up curtain making!! Who cares?!

Weightless CG effects and another wannabe Robert Patrick baddie.

2 (but really, in actual fact, 1) evil robots / 5.

Where the Crawdads Sing (2022) - Cinema

image.thumb.png.0451779ef0fce7e11dcec1d99c293cad.png

Went on a movie date with the wife to see this. I didn't know much about it going in, apart from that it was set in the deep south and was based on a best-selling novel. It started off quite promisingly - a dead body is discovered in the marshes of 1960s South Carolina and the blame immediately falls on 'The Marsh Girl', a local recluse - but it quickly became a fairly trite and predictable love story with a half-baked bit of courtroom drama thrown in. By the end it had reached peak soppyness, and reminded me of the time I was forced to watch The Notebook.

I dunno. It wasn't godawful or anything, but I won't be watching it again. My wife liked it, so there's that.