IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

The Bad Guys

Cracker this one.

Loved the art style (probably because I'm so used to Disney / Pixar stuff). Full of great characters and voice performances. Really entertaining story. Doesn't go on too long. Might have been a little short, in fact.

Just really, really good start to finish.

5/5 all day long.

Everything Everywhere All At Once - 4/5

Fun, a masterclass in design, editing and costume, loved the rocks and the whole psychedelic experience but it was too long and hit you round the face with it's saccharine message so hard and often towards the end which could have been avoided by trimming it down and having more confidence in the audience's ability to understand what it was saying wihtout shoving it down their throats. Genuinely surprised by people declaring it one of the best films ever made, it's not even the best film I've seen this week.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 4/5

War for the Planet of the Apes - 4/5

Unfinished monkey business. This has been such a good trilogy of movies, each part distinct in style and tone but also excellent in its own way. It's good, proper sci-fi, too, using its basic premise to make some very relevant observations about war, vengeance, and ultimately what makes us human. So many Hollywood reboots are just cynical cash-ins so it's really refreshing to see something like this that's been made with care and skill and that absolutely holds up to its original inspiration.

Also, the effects are absolutely amazing. I know we kind of take this stuff for granted these days, but sometimes you just have to sit back and appreciate what must have gone into this. The CGI apes in these movies are better and more believable as characters than most human actors seem to accomplish.

I've given each individual movie a 4 but for its scope, ambition and success in realisation I'd probably rate the trilogy as a whole a big round 5.

Death Race (2008)

Difficult to criticise this because it does exactly as advertised really well, has superb combat racing, even if it's a bit too choppy in the editing (well, this was 2008), resolutely 2D characters that work well in something this simple, thrills, spills and to-the-point drama. After Event Horizon this is one of Paul W S Anderson's better films. Was never sure if he was going for a high-quality B movie or trying to make classics but ending up in B movie territory. Doesn't really matter here because it does what you'd expect a remake of Death Race 2000 should, no bullshit.

4/5

The Human Centipede II

It’s ludicrously rank and entirely unfeasible. It doesn’t matter. 

The casting of Martin and portrayal of the character is sickeningly well done. I’ve not seen another movie where the I don’t think the lead even says a single word. He’s superb and proper sank himself into it. Got a lot of respect for that. 

Black and white was just right. Even then, obviously don’t watch if you’re remotely squeamish and there are extremely traumatic scenes. When I say extremely, imagine worse. It’s far more of a slasher than the first one. Along with the heels in Hostel, the teeth scene is one other than I cannot watch unfold. 

If you’re like me, and the subject doesn’t phase you enough that you can’t appreciate the cinematography, then it’s a solid 3/5

I also rate the first one (from a certain point in), but for different reasons. Mostly because Dieter Laser is just excellent and the casting for number 1 was perfect as a non English speaker. It’s bizarre how suffering can be made so sterile. 

The French Connection - 4.5/5

Properly gritty and grimy 70s New York. Everyone is a shit bag, everyone is shouting, everything is breaking down.  Car chase is brilliant.

(0.5 off for some utterly glaring continuity errors which are unignorable plot wise.)

37 minutes ago, Plissken said:

The French Connection - 4.5/5

Properly gritty and grimy 70s New York. Everyone is a shit bag, everyone is shouting, everything is breaking down.  Car chase is brilliant.

(0.5 off for some utterly glaring continuity errors which are unignorable plot wise.)

I presume you are referring to the scene for which the costume department dressed Hackman's character entirely incorrectly?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9d32f128a456845a173ac2a8a12f45c3.pngimage.png

Ha!

Spoiler

The car.  Stripped down completely and it's not clear if it is replaced or rebuilt, but either way throughout the last twenty minutes the auction lot number keeps appearing and disappearing on the windscreen.

I have a soft spot for the second one as well. The original didn’t really need a sequel but the chase at the end is ace. I like how films in those days would just end super quick and go straight to credits with no wind down.

The Little Things

Sky Cinema

Denzel Washington and Rami Malek are detectives trying to convict a serial killer. I like Washington in just about everything but this was terrible. It felt like half the film was edited out and hardly anything in it makes sense. Really disappointing.

1/5

On 22/05/2022 at 08:56, ScouserInExile said:

The Bad Guys

Cracker this one.

Loved the art style (probably because I'm so used to Disney / Pixar stuff). Full of great characters and voice performances. Really entertaining story. Doesn't go on too long. Might have been a little short, in fact.

Just really, really good start to finish.

5/5 all day long.

Just to echo this, I thought it was great. The opening sequence is probably the best bit but the rest of the film is still superb. 

Manhattan Baby

For a Fulci movie, I found this pretty boring. And whilst a lot of his films don't make sense, at least they have some creative visual flair and/or gruesome kills. This was surprisingly gore-lite.

2 out of 5

Star Trek Beyond - 3/5

Noisy, frenetic and shallow as a puddle, this doesn't bear much resemblance to any other Star Trek you've ever seen but it's still great fun thanks to the excellent cast and the pitch-perfect tone. It's neither as clever as the 2009 Star Trek reboot nor as confused as Into Darkness. In some alternate timeline we're all enjoying the weekly adventures of this Enterprise crew instead of whatever drivel Discovery and Picard are spewing up, and Beyond makes for a great double episode. It might not have anything profound to say but it's great entertainment and it's a shame we're unlikely to see any more of these. RIP Leonard Nimoy, RIP Anton Yelchin, you're both greatly missed.

Blade Runner 2049 (4K Blu-Ray)

A bit too long, an average soundtrack (in comparison to the original), and silly CGI at the end, otherwise...

4/5

(not an amazing advert for 4K HDR IMO, the original bests it here)

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Star Trek Beyond - 3/5

Noisy, frenetic and shallow as a puddle, this doesn't bear much resemblance to any other Star Trek you've ever seen but it's still great fun thanks to the excellent cast and the pitch-perfect tone. It's neither as clever as the 2009 Star Trek reboot nor as confused as Into Darkness. In some alternate timeline we're all enjoying the weekly adventures of this Enterprise crew instead of whatever drivel Discovery and Picard are spewing up, and Beyond makes for a great double episode. It might not have anything profound to say but it's great entertainment and it's a shame we're unlikely to see any more of these. RIP Leonard Nimoy, RIP Anton Yelchin, you're both greatly missed.

I thought a new one was in production 

Kick Ass 2. 

2/5. Mostly dull with an uninteresting story, which is a shame as I liked the first one. Gets a score of two for a few good lines. Very odd choice of movie for Jim Carrey, particularly given the bit-part role.

Alien3 (1992)

Hadn't seen this since just after release so had forgotten pretty much all of it. After hearing how terrible it was supposed it be I really enjoy it. I kept hearing how some people wished tey'd had made William Gibson's novilisation more, but having read that it reads like a generic alien film. This was much better.

4 redeemed prisoners out of 5

I went to a film festival in Bristol the other day where they reopened the IMAX solely for it and had a brilliant time.

Dracula AD 1972

Never seen this before, crazy setting with Dracula coming back after a 100 years or so into 1972 London.  The contrast between Christopher Lee walking around as Dracula, 70s music, 20somethings getting high and drinking shed loads is a thing of beauty.  Very odd, quite camp but not enough Dracula.

3.5/5

Mad Max2 

Now this is a film to watch on the big screen!  I forgotten a lot of this film, I remember the first being very sparse but hadn't realised this one was too.  Max says very little as per usual, the costume department went bonkers on this with one main guy running around with leather "buttless" pants on, and the main guy looking like Jason Voorhees brother! 

Absolutely brilliant to see in an IMAX though.

4/5

...you can see how they got to the woeful Thunderdome from here, just a shame they did!

Girls Night Out

Very weird slasher film from 1982 that I'd never heard of.  Teenagers act like utter pricks and end up getting picked off one by one by a nutter.  Some of the script is actually quite creepy and disturbing, but in general your basic crap 80s horror.

I actually nodded of in this one!

2/5

Chip & Dale 2022 Disney + was a blast! Defo 5/5 made me laugh a good few times and a ton of things to look at and smile.

hell comes to frog town - this was an odd movie I didn’t realise I owned.

Roddy Piper in the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse is taken in by the female run government with the task of rescuing fertile females held captive by mutants so he can impregnate them.

Bonkers plot and some silly costumes but I enjoyed it.

3/5 from me. 

Top Gun: Maverick - 4.5/5

Brilliant, just brilliant. So refreshing not to have an obvious CGI wankfest that's oh so common in action films. It felt like a film truly sticking to it's guns to appease the fans of the original and older folks who grew up with 80s and 90s action films. And that's why it succeeds. 

Brilliantly shot, edited to absolute perfection (I'm guessing that two year delay helped greatly in post production) well acted with just the right amount of cheese (there's not much though like some reviewers said).

The dogfighting/flying was so well done. It felt real. It was tense, exciting and gave me chills. 

The only other big budget action film to give me these vibes was Mad Max Fury Road. And that's all you need to know. 

Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers

Utterly brilliant, watched it with my two boys and laughed out loud more than once. 

5/5, but knock a couple off that if you didn't grow up watching cartoons in the late 80s/early 90s.

Twenty Four Seven (1997)

Really enjoyed this film from Shane Meadows about a guy trying to help out local bored youths by setting up a boxing club. The humour is spot-on, there were bits that had me laughing out loud, but there was also more sombre moment, though maybe not as much as later films, but they have more impact because of it. Bob Hoskins' is simply great, his character is full of enthusiasm and wants to do the right thing. Even this early on Shane Meadows was capturing life in a medium-sized down so well, with a bit of grit, some heart and believable characters. "If you lose your tempter you lose everything"

4/5

Escape From Pretoria (2020)

Whilst this film based on a true story initially feels like a drama about Apartheid South Africa and white radicals fighting for equality, this quickly gives way to a prison break film in a similar vein to Escape From Alcatraz, with lots of intricate planning, tense scenes and enough cruelty by the guards to motivate the escapees. The setting becomes almost incidental, albeit with a few references. If you want a tightly-directed, exciting prison break flick this is an entertaining watch. If you want a drama about political prisoners in apartheid South Africa you probably should look elsewhere.

3.5/5