IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

17 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

I'm with you! Sorry, didn't mean to single you out, you were the first example when I scrolled up.

More than happy to drop it, in fact if a mod can delete these last few posts.

Ah man, carry on with it, it’s not doing any harm. Like I said, I’m just in a grouchy mood as I’ve got a headache. 

Watching World War Z again (more as background really) and I still really like it, it treats the subject with a bit of reverence and as such all feels quite grounded. Sure, there's some plot armour and macguffins, but Pitt isn't a superhero, just a guy trying to do what's needed.

Shame it never got a sequel.

3.5/5

The House October Built (2014)

Another found footage horror film. Another ig bad meh. Some friends want to tour hounted house attractions across American, hear about a good one, go to track it down... and then I don't know what happened. The filming style made it super hard to follow individual scenes, and apparently the dialogue was mostly ad libbed, and boy can you tell.

1 Juggalo out fo 5

hqdefault.jpg

Dr. Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness

A thin plot, questionable antagonist motivation and occasional clunkiness, are quite safely overcome by tons of fun and plenty of cool surprises.

Kudos to Sam Raimi and to Disney & Marvel for letting him put his mark on this.

The Wretched

Teenage boy with broken arm takes on scary motherfucking witch who likes to eat kids!

I liked it. Nice little twist towards the end, easy watching in general.

3/5

Beyond The Gates

80s throwback indie film.  Weird jumanji style VHS board game gets played, shit happens.  Thoroughly enjoyable, nice 80s style gore effects, definitely worth a watch

3/5

The Contractor - 2/5 (Prime)

Nuts and bolts thriller, albeit with a decent cast. Chris Pine does acting! Felt like the ending was rejigged as the final shots looked like reshoots. Either way, an inoffensive way to spend 105 minutes.

Tapped (aka Tapped Out) - 2/5 (Prime)

I’m a sucker for a good sports movie and, evidently, a mediocre one. Ticks the usual boxes, but is a little too much of an underdog story, but again completely inoffensive.

Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness - 3/5 (cinema)

While recent MCU efforts have been pretty underwhelming (Eternals felt longer than eternity and I can’t recall much from Black Widow), this is a hugely fun romp.

Pushes hard against the 12A limit, which was a surprise but I completely forgot Sam Raimi was on directing duties so when the credits rolled immediately thought, ‘oh that makes sense’.

Has plenty of fun moments (I’m glad I only watched the teaser trailer) to keep things pretty brisk. I’ll have to watch a YouTube vid for some of the Easter eggs but as someone with superhero fatigue glad I watched this in a cinema.

(#342-344)

Possessor

Sadly not as good as I thought it was going to be, but still brought some nice ideas and it was (Jesus Christ very!) brutal in places too.

Andrea Riseborough was awesome, as was

Spoiler

the iconic role played by Sean Bean’s poor eyeball!

Dune (2021)

45040474_dune-movie-screencaps.com-169082.thumb.jpg.e923f8584f65566b3e5d6d34377f62b9.jpg

I liked this even more watching it at home than I did in the cinema, mainly because I could watch it with subs this time around and actually understand what the characters were saying and keep track of the proper nouns. The music remains fantastic, and the sense of scale in some shots is peerless (those spaceships - damn). I thought Rebecca Ferguson's performance was very good, too. I'm not sure that I prefer it to Blade Runner 2049, but it's hard to judge as it's very much half a story. I imagine part 2 will be even better. I'm going to read the book now.

4.5/5

Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness

Probably the only MCU entry so far that relies quite heavily on you having watched the D+ shows to have some understanding as to the basic set-up, I thought this was a bit messy, slow and generally not very good. I also felt it didn't really do anything interesting with the multiverse concept (either visually or conceptually).

I've been trying to pinpoint why I didn't like it; I like Cumberbatch in the role and I like Dr Strange as a character but he's not really had much to do in his tenure, though he's hardly alone in this. I'm also getting tired of all the little hints of new characters - the roster is expanding all the time but there's no substance to anybody. Who was the last character that actually had a bit of depth (and screen time)?

Ultimately, this did nothing for me. I can't even remember the set-pieces in this, there's no moment that lives in the memory and the plot felt it was just servicing a greater purpose rather than delivering a satisfying story in its own right. A real disappointment.

1.5/5

25 minutes ago, Gabe said:

the plot felt it was just servicing a greater purpose rather than delivering a satisfying story in its own right.

While I don’t agree with your score, I do support this feedback.

Much of this phase of the MCU has been about setting up what will come next - the Disney/Marvel product roadmapping is really obvious and does come across quite cold and business like.

Microhabitat 3/5 - Korean bittersweet comedy drama with a rather depressing poetic message, and whilst it was released in 2017 it's very of the moment in that it explores the cost of living crisis. I liked it but I wish I hadn't chosen it for my Saturday night film as it left me feeling sad. 

The Big Short -5/5. Gets better with every rewatch. Stacked cast with some amazing performances. It does make you very angry though. 

The Contractor - 4/5. Known little about this apart from it had Pine and Foster teaming up again. Both were great. Just a really solid action thriller. 

How it Ends - 2/5 - Wait...that was the ending?

Shinjuku Triad Society 5/5 - Now this is what I should have watched last night, just fantastic, original, gritty, dark, subversive film making from Miike. 90's Kabukicho looks so grimy I love it.

18 minutes ago, Minion said:

Shinjuku Triad Society 5/5 - Now this is what I should have watched last night, just fantastic, original, gritty, dark, subversive film making from Miike. 90's Kabukicho looks so grimy I love it.

Ooh that sounds awesome - on the watchlist!

3 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Ooh that sounds awesome - on the watchlist!

It certainly won't be to everyone's taste but it is definitely to mine. I love Miike's 90's gangster films but had somehow missed this one.

16 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I think it was the grimy ‘90s Kabukicho note that converted me

There's a whole trilogy - Shinjuku Triad Society 1995, Rainy Dog 1997 & Ley Lines 1999 all great. A bit later but still grimy and fantastic is Graveyard of Honor 2002 which is a remake of an old yakuza film which I have not seen but I'm sure it won't have a lot of the crazy shit Miike puts into his films.

Death on the Nile (2022)

How quickly does the murder happen in the Ustinov version? Because in the new version, a full hour before the first murder seems kind of crazy to me. With less than an hour to go, if you don't include the credits, the detective work feels a bit rushed. I've never seen the 1978 one but I might give it a watch, even though I now know the outcome. It'll be nice to see it filmed in real locations as well. The green screen in this one was beyond awful at times. We're talking The Room in terms of quality.

2 out of 5

The Fly (Disney +)

I haven't seen this since the VHS rental days. The Cronenberg blockbuster - it actually made my stomach churn in some places. Not his greatest work, this hinges on the performance of Jeff Goldblum and he is superb in this. One bizarre thing very early on is the way Geena Davis' character comes onto Jeff in such a short amount of time, the face he pulled was the same as mine! What

3/5

Moonfall -5/5. 

A cinematic masterpiece. Possibly the greatest film ever made and definitely one of the greatest accomplishments by mankind. 

On 07/05/2022 at 11:21, ZOK said:

The Truffle Hunters - 5/5 (BBC iPlayer)

This Storyville documentary is indescribably good. It’s about truffle hunters and their dogs in Italy, and every shot is like a painting come to life. A fascinating cast of characters, both human and animal, make this an unmissable dig into a very particular style of rural life.

I watched this again on Sunday, had to drink it all in to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Superb film.