rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

2 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

oh ok, I must be getting confused, I have a very short term memory for films.  Although, please correct me if I am wrong, Rogue One is about destroying the Death Star right?  and in A New Hope they destroy the Death Star at the end of the film?  Same Death Star?  

R1 - rebels hatch a plot to steal the plans to the Death Star, which are the plans they use to find a fault in the infrastructure in ANH that enables them to destroy it.

Basically, the opening crawl of ANH is R1!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Nooooooo, it's set directly before it!

But Attack of the Clones is set before them all. Machete order makes zero sense to me. Doesnt make the prequels any better.

44 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

But Attack of the Clones is set before them all. Machete order makes zero sense to me. Doesnt make the prequels any better.

Yes - so you get

Spoiler

the big plot twist about Vader, then you go back to explore how he became Vader.  It also makes the revelation about Leia better because you get that in Episode 3, rather than in 6.

It also improves the inclusion of Hayden Christiansen as a force ghost at the end of RotJ.

Does it make the prequels good?  No, because they're really not very good and nothing could make them otherwise (if you stuck a Zelda BOTW t-shirt on Boris Johnson, it doesn't make him any less of a cunt).  But I would argue that it makes the major plot twists in the original trilogy better.  And when you watch the prequels alongside the originals, the originals look even better.

There's some method in the madness but I suppose I watch them because I'm a sad completionist!

Hello, this is the fun police - it’s come to our attention that some people have been rating movies on a scale more granular than 5, please cease and desist immediately. 

:quote::coffee::blah:

58 minutes ago, Popo said:

Hello, this is the fun police - it’s come to our attention that some people have been rating movies on a scale more granular than 5, please cease and desist immediately. 

:quote::coffee::blah:

What, you want the ratings we post here to be inconsistent with the ones we put on IMDb and Letterboxd? :o

You Were Never Really Here

Put this off for a long time. I genuinely loved it. Brutal. I didn't enjoy it but as work of art/drama, I've not seen anything as powerful for a long time.

5/5

Ready Player One

I can understand someone really enjoying this but like Pacific Rim did, it just annoyed me. I got half way through so.....

Null and void/5

Revenge of the Sith

This is so bloody frustrating - yes, it's a bad film but there are brief moments of promise amongst the dross that almost makes the good bits irrelevant.

Every key scene is somehow ruined - Palpatine's quite incredible gurn during the most key scene of all so it makes you laugh, the dreadful lines that Anakin/Padme share, the overly long final fight.  Just yuck.

I still think it's much better than AotC, but that's really not much of an accolade, nor is it enough of an excuse to watch it.  

Annoying - unnecessarily so.

2.5/5

• Upvote 1

Moonlight 5/5

Possibly the best film I've watched in the last 4-5 years. Superb performances all round.

Greenbook 4/5

Mahershala Ali is fast becoming one of my favourite actors. Another well deserved Oscar.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 2/5

Plot was particularly terrible and some of the film felt weirdly low budget, however there were some laughs. Also I never realised how attractive Karen Gillan is...

• Upvote 5

The Post 5/5

hey, it’s one of those “just as relevant now as it was then” recent history pics. You know, just shy of a wink to the camera every time they mention something similar to current events. It’s about the leak of pentagon papers that prove the war in se Asia was a known known, for at least 20years before it started, and the fallout from the free press publishing the details under the first amendment, with a thin-skinned criminal as president.

this is Spielberg, so everything is just spot on. The period details, the cast,  and with that you can’t fault the acting, but Meryl Streep stole some of the wigs from the Iron Lady set... The news room stuff is even better that the daily planet scenes in Superman I&II.

Dune 

I had never seen this and was really looking forward to it. But meh. I don't mind sff shit, as long as it isn't too sff. Something about a big load of entirely made up names of people places and things in too short a space of time just makes my brain tune out. Run time was excessive as fuck too. 

Few interesting funny weird Lynchian scenes though. 

2/5 

Mightgive give it a second chance at some point. 

• Empathy 1

Ready or Not (2019)

This was so good, I had such a blast with it. It reminded me of You're Next but better. A really great horror comedy with a great lead (Samara Weaving, who also stars in a film called The Babysitter which people should check out) that really plays around with horror tropes and offers up some great laughs along the way. Narrowly misses out on my top 10 (so far) of the year.

4/5

• Upvote 4

Le Mans 66

I really loved it. Proper old school buddy movie with two loveable stubborn bastards and the greatest story, the pursuit of excellence.

I cried at the end. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Also I never realised how attractive Karen Gillan is...

I only recently learned she is Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy. She’s come a long way since Dr Who! Good for her. 

10 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Le Mans 66

I really loved it. Proper old school buddy movie with two loveable stubborn bastards and the greatest story, the pursuit of excellence.

I cried at the end. 

This comes out Thursday here (well, Wednesday night but I'll be asleep). Really looking forward to it, even without knowing too many details about the period the film focuses on. It just looks like a really solidly made film.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

The Breakfast Club

Rewatch of one of my fav movies, Judd Nelson is still fucking harsh! Love how brightly lit everybody is due to the school lighting. Molly was just 16 - crazy!

5/5

See I don't think I need to sit with you FUCKing dildos anymore.

MI: Ghost Protocol

IMF/5

aka the one with the stunts on the tall building in dubai. It does the job over the course of its runtime. Not exactly high art, but nor is it shit. And hey, at least it’s not MI2. Jesus...

23 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Ready or Not (2019)

This was so good, I had such a blast with it. It reminded me of You're Next but better. A really great horror comedy with a great lead (Samara Weaving, who also stars in a film called The Babysitter which people should check out) that really plays around with horror tropes and offers up some great laughs along the way. Narrowly misses out on my top 10 (so far) of the year.

4/5

I saw it earlier, and while it zipped along for the majority of its 90 minute running time, i expected more in the way of action/tension/brutality.

It had too many stop-start, stop-start moments. Its understandable given the set-up. The house can only be so big before every room looks the same and we get bored. Lets go outside. Night time in the woods. Never seen that before. *sigh* A good idea wasted due to lack of originality in the moment-to-moment set pieces. 

My rating: ***

14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

And hey, at least it’s not MI2. Jesus...

Never heard of MI2.

Pretty sure it's MI, MI3, MI Ghost Protocol, MI Rogue Nation, MI Fallout.

Nope, no MI2 at all!

• Upvote 1

I have vague memories of a floppy haired Cruise jumping off a Ducati mid-air and hugging some non-descript villian. Who knows what they were fighting about. Maybe a bomb? Lol.

Nope. You're right. It doesn't exist. Must've been a fever dream i had when i was sick with flu.

• Upvote 1