rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Anna

A plot which skips back and forth — 5 years later, three years earlier, two years later, six months earlier etc. — that I gave up trying to follow it and tried to enjoy the action. But there’s one good action scene and the ending splutters like a wet fart.

2 out of 5

I watched Heat on the plane.  It's great still.  Maybe watching Heat is second only to thinking about watching Heat.

4/5.

• Upvote 1

Gone Girl - 2/5

Think this was let down by the casting. Not that either of the two leads were bad necessarily. 

Spoiler

It was like they were both playing two different parts based on perception. And they were both only good at it on the back end so to speak. 

Affleck as the relatable asshole and Rosamund Pike as the psycho bitch. She was just far too reptilian even when she was meant to be the victim. And he never really came across as the type to have hit or much less killed her. Even the false memory scene where he pushed her it didn't seem to fit his character at all. The result was that it was predictable as fuck. A blind man galloping past on a horse could have seen the unreliable narrator twist coming. 

The Irishman

Brilliant showcase of acting talents. I’m going to give it 5 bags of popcorn out of 5 plus four pints of Guinness so De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Scorsese can have a little celebratory drink.

Session 9 - 4.5/5

ive seen it loads of times but it’s still atmospherically suffocating and intense, and creepy and the scary voices still scare me.

love it.  

• Upvote 1

Jumanji - welcome to the Jungle - 3/5

Perfectly innocuous fare, elevated by The Rock’s magnet screen presence and irresistible personality. I’ll watch anything with The Rock in. 

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Brilliantly made and cast. Set during the Napoleonic wars, full of excitement and drama. Beautifully filmed with a real sense of place and time. And a real 'weight' to the sea-battles. 

It should have been the start of a great franchise but for whatever reason it never happened. 

5/5

• Upvote 1

A Field In England

Billed as horror, but it was way too artsy and fartsy for what I was able to handle in my mood.  I didn’t like it.  I also can’t seem to ever see Reece Shearsmith as a serious actor.

1/5

I just watched the extended cut of Fellowship of the Ring.

It's been a good few years since I last watched any LOTR.

Hmmmm. Maybe it's the tarnishing effect of the Hobbit trilogy or maybe it's just the dated nature of the CGI, but it's sort of starting to look quite crap. Everything is all smeary and glowy, looks too unnatural and highlights how much of it was digitally added, which is a damn shame considering how much of it was actually physically present.

I've also lost tolerance for Peter Jackson cranking everything up to 11 for emotional impact.

Like that end bit when Sam follows Frodo's boat into the river despite not being able to swim. We see him struggling in the water, sinking, twitching, going still, mouth open, hanging motionless,  give it a bit longer and yup, he's finally dead. Then Frodo hauls him onto the boat 'in the nick of time'.

Don't want to rate it but it's less than it used to be/5.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I just watched the extended cut of Fellowship of the Ring.

It's been a good few years since I last watched any LOTR.

Hmmmm. Maybe it's the tarnishing effect of the Hobbit trilogy or maybe it's just the dated nature of the CGI, but it's sort of starting to look quite crap. Everything is all smeary and glowy, looks too unnatural and highlights how much of it was digitally added, which is a damn shame considering how much of it was actually physically present.

I've also lost tolerance for Peter Jackson cranking everything up to 11 for emotional impact.

Like that end bit when Sam follows Frodo's boat into the river despite not being able to swim. We see him struggling in the water, sinking, twitching, going still, mouth open, hanging motionless,  give it a bit longer and yup, he's finally dead. Then Frodo hauls him onto the boat 'in the nick of time'.

Don't want to rate it but it's less than it used to be/5.

An extended cut of a film that was already three and a half hours long.

How long is it? And also why?

Le Mans 66 - A topic I have no real interest in, but my other half is obsessed with, I was dragged to watch this last night. It's better than I expected - both Christian Bale and Matt Damon are great - but it's just so long and the ending seems to go on forever.

Not Speed Racer/5 (or 3/5 if you prefer).

Klaus - mentioned it in the Netflix thread but it's another good film from Netflix. Lovely animation in a mix of 2d/3d which really works well.  Lovely tale of warring neighbours and a new origin of St Nikolaus.  Not gonna deny a tear was shed and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 5/5

Mortal Engines.  Perfectly fine sunday afternoon brain off in front of the tv fare.  3/5.  God knows why I thought KJ Parker had written it when in fact it was Phillip Reeve.  I'm assuming it didn't fare well at the box office?

One of the biggest flops of recent years. Made $83m worldwide off a reported budget of $100m (which you can effectively double for marketing and distribution costs). 

11 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

An extended cut of a film that was already three and a half hours long.

How long is it? And also why?

Fellowship went from 2h58 theatrical to 3h28 extended

The Two Towers went from 2h59 to 3h45

Return of the King went from 3h20 to 4h12

Those EE figures include several minutes of fan club members in the end credits.

Watch them on PAL DVD to get through them quicker! ;)

I hardly watch any movies these day but oddly enough I watched a few this weekend.

Dolomite - 3.8/5

Gemini man - 3/5

Interstella - 3/5

• Downvote 1

On 15/11/2019 at 22:04, Silent Runner said:

Stan & Ollie

Good turns from the two leads, Coogan especially. In a film that felt made for Sunday night TV but I don't mean that in a bad way. An enjoyable and gentle 90 minutes. 

3.5/5. 

Stan & Ollie

Imma bump it to 4/5 for the two leads, and the period detail.

Star Wars IX Countdown!!  Viewing in a bastardised version of the Machete Order with R1 at the start and VII/VIII at the end:

Rogue One

Fucking superb and seems to improve every time I watch it, with the exception of the 'resurrected' characters.  When viewed directly before ANH, the efforts they went to in order to make it feel like the 1977 original are even more apparent.  The last 30 minutes or so are amongst the best of any Star Wars film.

4.5/5

A New Hope

I can't give it full marks because the Lucas meddling looks worse as time goes on - particularly the Mos Eisley scenes.  But otherwise, just as essential as it ever was with the bonus of great performances from Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness

4.5/5

The Empire Strikes Back

Pretty much faultless from start to finish.  The pacing, the chemistry, the plot, the best cliffhanger of all time - you can easily look past the special effects and see why this is such a classic.  And also why the prequels got it so wrong, because it doesn't manage any of the above.  Oh and the Palpatine scene is the one Lucas amendment I particularly enjoy. 

5/5

Attack of the Clones

Christ - the worst Star Wars film really is awful when you see it directly after the best Star Wars film.  Even Ewan McGregor can't save this absolute mess of a film.  When you've enjoyed 2 movies' worth of Han and Leia's onscreen chemistry, Anakin and Padme's looks even worse in juxtaposition.  Jo Swinson and Jeremy Corbyn would have more of a spark than those 2.   I've never understood how an actress as talented as Natalie Portman can look so bad.  No mean feat.

Extra mark given for Jango's seismic charges which look and sound awesome, but that's not a word I'd use to describe anything else in AotC.

I don't like sand.

1.5/5

32 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Star Wars IX Countdown!!  Viewing in a bastardised version of the Machete Order with R1 at the start and VII/VIII at the end:

Rogue One

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

Why are you watching it in a funny order?

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Nooooooo, it's set directly before it!

oh ok, I must be getting confused, I have a very short term memory for films.  Although, please correct me if I am wrong, Rogue One is about destroying the Death Star right?  and in A New Hope they destroy the Death Star at the end of the film?  Same Death Star?