IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

@Stigweard 

I liked it, but it had the same problem as every musical I've ever seen, which is that I liked the upbeat comedy songs much more than the sentimental romantic ballads. "Gee, Officer Krupke" is better then "Maria" and "Tonight" combined.

"Cool" is better than all three. And sneaking up on the outside "Something's Coming". "A Boy Like That" is shite though.

I don't make the rules.

On 09/02/2022 at 01:02, Ry said:

😲

One of the worst films I have seen in recent years. I thought it was bad on every single level. 

Glad you loved it though!

Oh if I had to introduce anyone to the series it would be with the first film then predator 2 then furiously pretend no other films were made.  But this was very well executed bad. And I'm getting a kick imagining a 40k film where soace marines are depicted in combat like the alpha predator in this film rather the clunky just walk slowly into gunfire statues they're always portrayed as.

Deep Cover
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104073/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_30

A uniformed cop is recruited by a drug enforcement agent to infiltrate a drug smuggling ring looking to expand its operation.

I heard this mentioned on a podcast recently and remembered I hadn't watched it in years so I checked it out last night. It's an early 90's thriller about a street cop recruited by the DEA. He has to go undercover as a drug dealer and work his way to the top and take down a drug Cartel in LA.

Larry Fishburne is perfect as the slightly cynical cop (complete with deadpan voiceover) who starts out selling small amounts of coke. But quickly teams up with Jeff Goldblums crooked lawyer and starts working his way up through the tiers of the underworld. While at the same time trying to stay grounded as a cop and a person.

This is such a great film - the main cast are all superb but the support really shine, lots of great character faces and accents. It looks and sounds incredible (it's mostly set at night so is full of neon that always looks class) the plot moves quickly but it never feels hurried. Directed with a load of flair by the great Bill Duke. It's the type of thriller that seemed really common back in the 90's but would never get made today - I suppose the budget for these kind of films doesn't exist any more. 

Great stuff all round.

4.5/5

4 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Deep Cover
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104073/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_30

A uniformed cop is recruited by a drug enforcement agent to infiltrate a drug smuggling ring looking to expand its operation.

I heard this mentioned on a podcast recently and remembered I hadn't watched it in years so I checked it out last night. It's an early 90's thriller about a street cop recruited by the DEA. He has to go undercover as a drug dealer and work his way to the top and take down a drug Cartel in LA.

Larry Fishburne is perfect as the slightly cynical cop (complete with deadpan voiceover) who starts out selling small amounts of coke. But quickly teams up with Jeff Goldblums crooked lawyer and starts working his way up through the tiers of the underworld. While at the same time trying to stay grounded as a cop and a person.

This is such a great film - the main cast are all superb but the support really shine, lots of great character faces and accents. It looks and sounds incredible (it's mostly set at night so is full of neon that always looks class) the plot moves quickly but it never feels hurried. Directed with a load of flair by the great Bill Duke. It's the type of thriller that seemed really common back in the 90's but would never get made today - I suppose the budget for these kind of films doesn't exist any more. 

Great stuff all round.

4.5/5

Is this on a streaming service?

Irreversible -3/5

I watched it when it first came out and it had a deeply disturbing effect on me. Made me feel violently sick. 

It still does. It really upset my partner but she really appreciated it as piece of film. 

It still to this day has the single greatest and most realistic piece of CGI I have ever seen. You know the part...🤢

The Nice Guys

Third time of seeing this and I like it more each time, it's just hilarious, especially Gosling who puts in a genuinely funny performance.

It'll be a grand day when Shane Black goes back to doing "Private Detective and buddy investigate a conspiracy in LA" to complement this and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Great fun.

4.5/5

3 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It'll be a grand day when Shane Black goes back to doing "Private Detective and buddy investigate a conspiracy in LA" to complement this and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Well, he's due a good film if his directorial trend continues:

Kiss kiss, Bang Bang - Fucking excellent

Iron Man 3 - Absolute dogshit

The Nice Guys - Fucking excellent

The Predator - Haven't seen it, supposed to be absolute dogshit

Next film - should be fucking excellent.

:coffee:

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

His next film is Doc Savage, which he is writing and directing. Going to star Dwayne Johnson.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

I liked Iron Man 3 and didn't think The Predator was anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. Guess I must be easy to please. 

The Hunt

Somewhat problematic in its black and white portrayal of the two demographics it portrays, but fuck me if this wasn't funny as fuck and fucking entertaining. Betty Gilpin is fucking great!

4/5

Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City (2021)

Brave attempt at a reboot that doesn't really work simply because it felt like the producers were too focussed on making it faithful to the games and neglecting to make an actual enjoyable cinematic experience. You get tons of references to the games, faithful sets, costumes, monsters, hints at the game stories, but as a film it's a messy haunted house that made little sense and lacked momentum re Chris and Claire Redfield's storyline. Some good ideas and it's obvious an effort was made to reel things in from the previous series (which I have a soft spot for, must confess, for all its faults), it didn't work for me even if it at the very least had the right atmosphere.

2.5/5

59 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Miserable film. Surprised at the amount of attention it’s getting. Can Olivia Colman play anything other than humourless middle-class bints?

"Middle class bints"... Classy :rolleyes:

And yes, just look over her last several roles where she plays nothing close to that.

Piranha (1978)

Thoroughly enjoyable Jaws rip-off, Joe Dante gets the tone just right, hovering between parody and just-serious-enough, ramping the tension and gore up at just the right rate. Add in the touches like the Jaws arcade game and  mayor, er I mean the resort manager guy and it gets even better. A little bit sleazy, a lot cheesy, and good fun.

3.5/5

Bringing Out the Dead
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163988/

Haunted by the patients he failed to save, a monumentally burned-out Manhattan ambulance paramedic fights to maintain his sanity over three increasingly turbulent nights.

Martin Scorseses last film of the 20th century and he returns to fairly familiar territory - New York after dark looking like the end of the World. You could easily swap the ambulance for a taxi and you're back in the 70's. 

Nick Cage is an ambulance driver right at the end of his rope - he's not sleeping and can't seem to save his patients like he used to. On top of this the hospitals he's dropping his patients at resemble war-zones and the city feels like it's about to explode. We follow him over three night shifts with three different partners.

This felt a little like 'Scorsese plays the hits' but when the hits are this good that's hardly a criticism. The cast are mostly excellent (Cage, John Goodman and Ving Rhames are great, Tom Sizemore tries the patience after a while) it looks incredible, all neon and rain and has an excellent soundtrack.And the Paul Schrader script is appropriately over-wrought. There's not much plot really - just a bunch of stuff happening to a man near the edge.

Not top shelf Scorsese but he's still the best to ever do it.

4.5/5

Edited by Silent Runner

Moonfall - 1/5

Absolute nonsense of the highest order, the more you try and make sense of certain parts the more you are left thinking wtf. Terrible dialogue delivered even worse by actors who should know better.

It did take me down a massive rabbit hole afterwards on the bus home around:

Spoiler

Dyson Spheres and Megastructures

Should’ve  been much tighter than it’s 2h10m run time too.

Pickpocket - 3.5/5 (MUBI)

This is a very decent little flick about - you guessed it - a pickpocket grubbing a living in China’s developing streets, and watching his world change. It’s quite fascinating in terms of seeing what appears to be a very real slice of Chinese street life. Apparently no-one in it is a professional actor which makes it remarkable as there are some very accomplished performances throughout. Also the amount of cigarette smoking is really something - I felt like I’d inhaled a couple of packs through osmosis by the end.