IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

You're probably right. Rights for films seem to flow easily in Australia and films pop up and go away without warning. And they wonder why Australia is one fo the highest high sea-ing countries in the world.

On 29/01/2022 at 23:03, Boozy The Clown said:

Riders Of Justice (DVD)

One of those films you watch that shows why European cinema can do everything that Hollywood pumps out on a tiny budget but with a so much more art, style and heart.

I went in almost completely blind and wouldn't want to spoil any of it. It's essentially a Danish arthouse Punisher movie with some of the darkest humour I've ever seen. 

Unique/5

This was totally bonkers but such an awesome watch. Thanks Boozy!

Katalin Varga - 5/5 (MUBI)

This was spectacular. A deliciously weird British/Romanian thriller where a woman with a dark past has to leave town with her young son for a reason, and dark things happen as a consequence. I guess I’d call it an anti-pastoral…not because it’s lunchtime and I’m hungry, but because it’s equally riddled with the beauty of rural Romania and a creeping existential dread and foreboding. The soundtrack is also just nuts, at times it made me think of Akira, but I don’t think I’ve heard its like anywhere else. The overall effect is of strings of tension being wound tighter and tighter, and you are just waiting for the snap.

8 hours ago, Mikes said:

Searching (2018)

Been recommended by a few people here. Watched it today, and my god it was good. Big fan of films that take storytelling in different forms, and this did it very well.

5/5

Brody-Searching.jpg

You've given out more 5s in the last couple of days than I have in ever.

I might have to invite you round for a dinner party. I feel like you'd ably convince people i was the next Robuchon.

On 02/02/2022 at 12:15, AstroBot said:

The Carry On films are on tv loads at the moment and I’ve watched most of them out of the same sense of nostalgia. The older ones are great slap stick and a more innocent comedy, it sort of reaches its zenith at Khyber then it’s downhill all the way after that. Carry on Behind is particularly hideous.

My favourite is Carry On Cabby, back when they were black and white, were the sort of films people would go and see every week as they didn't have a TV. That sort of 'battle of the sexes' thing feels really quaint now but it has a more gentle humour. Camping was on the descent, definitely. The last one I saw a few years back was Carry On At Your Convenience, lazy union-bashing with poo jokes, basically.

5 hours ago, schmojo said:

I might have to invite you round for a dinner party. I feel like you'd ably convince people i was the next Robuchon.

I'm high on life and easily pleased.

The Swearing Jar - 2/5 (screener)

Starts off well but doesn’t really deliver on the early promise. Feel with a tighter runtime and the opening energy lasting for the duration rather than just the first act it could have been a bit of an indie gem.

(#101/1000)

Dune

Watched this on 4K Bluray, it really is the sort of film that this is made for, looks great and has a great Atmos soundtrack too.

I thought this was brilliant. When you finish a film thinking “wow, Jason Momoa was great in that”, it surely has to be something special.

5/5

Dune 

It's alright - had similar feelings to this as I did after watching David Lynch's version - its a bit devoid of attachment to anything. Certainly a lot of money up there on the screen, but felt like a space soap opera - the one where you've never seen the first 20 years of it and then try and pick it up from the middle of it. I'm amazed it got made (again) to be honest, but Hollywood is out of ideas.

Meh. Maybe the next parts will be better, or this could be a case of a book just never translating to the screen for good reason.

3/5

The Assistant (2019)

Oooof what an enthralling movie.  Started out a bit odd, almost an ASMR-like day-in-the-life of an intern at any old office job, but slowly reveals its intent in a very smart way.  Helps give perspective into how exactly pricks like Harvey Weinstein manage to get away with all that gross shit.  Bleak, but captivating.  Well paced at under 90 mins. And dat foley work! ❤️

4/5

Five in the bag today.

The Silence - 1/5 (Netflix)

A Quiet Fake.

Elsewhere - 2/5 (Netflix)

Another indie that was almost really good. Unfortunately think the lead isn’t charming enough to make him someone to root for. Parker Posey always a welcome screen presence though.

Standing Up, Falling Down - 2/5 (Prime)

Again, all the ingredients are here, and seeing Billy Crystal in a film is a treat. Just felt the final film is undercooked. On another day it might have edged a three but seen so many of these films it just kind of passed me by.

Terrifier - 1/5 (horror channel)

3/5 for gore, but this is little more than a showreel for some decent practical effects. Got bored long before the end, and it’s only 82 minutes long.

Not Another Teen Movie - 2/5 (Netflix)

Laughed way more than I expected. A little sharper than most parade films, and fun seeing Chris Evans enjoying himself in an early role.

(#101-106/1000)

Donnie Darko
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

After narrowly escaping a bizarre accident, a troubled teenager is plagued by visions of a man in a large rabbit suit who manipulates him to commit a series of crimes.

This was one of those films that passed me by when it was first released and that I never got around to watching. I can see why it became such a favourite of teenagers and why it has such a cult following. While watching it I felt like I was always a few minutes away from 'getting it' but the real meaning kept slipping away.

The cast are all really good - baby Jake Gyllenhaal in particular, he has that perfect mix of intensity and vulnerability. It has this slightly surreal David Lynch atmosphere in the everyday scenes (family breakfasts, school assemblies etc) then a very surreal vibe when the talking rabbit arrives and the time-travel stuff starts happening.

I think it's one of those films you can spend ages thinking about but it will never make 'sense'. I watched a ton of YouTube 'Donnie Darko explained' videos and I'm still none the wiser as to what any of it meant. I still loved it though. Banging soundtrack too.

4.5/5

Jackass Forever (2022)

Jackass Forever does something that no other film franchise can ever say they've ever done before, and that's say that the 4th installment is the best one.

I laughed so much during this film that my chest injury that I suffered 3 months ago hurts more tonight than it has done in the last 6 weeks or so.
The 4k cameras and slow-motion really help drive home the pain and cringe too.

A wonderful swansong for the original team and even then newcomers felt right at home.

4/5

A Certain Justice aka Puncture Wounds (2014)

Zzzzzzzzzz. Overcomplex straight-to-streaming action bollocks. Vinnie Jones, Dulph Lundgren, some guy gets his family killed because he tries to save a hooker. Ultimately I didn't give enough of a toss and frankly that's what kills this. When you find yourself asking "who gives a shit?" it's time to move on.

1/5

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Saw this in the cinema for the first time. What else can be said about it really?

Maybe for our favourite film moments, the ones that mean the most to us, we all have our own Oscars montage in our heads. Kind of like this:

This whole sequence is the crown jewel of my montage.

image.gif.75cb757eb833751c8718ba358f3290d5.gif

A film of such relentless beauty.

Nobody

Tremendous fun!

4/5

Last Night In Soho

I’m torn.  I so wanted to love it - some of the core ideas are brilliant, it looks great, casting and performances are on point and I’m a sucker for a bit of Soho.  But there is some bad writing, and other poor execution of ideas.

3/5

On 03/02/2022 at 09:16, schmojo said:

I myself have actually never given a film 5/5. I have been rating films on letterbox now for 4-5 years and the highest score yet remains 4/5. 

power of the dog - 2.5/5

its a good film, nice ambiguous storytelling. Just not particularly exciting or interesting.

Nobody

4/5 simply good old fashioned action film.

Dune 

3/5 I adore the book and this is a gorgeous looking film but there is something missing for me, I'm not sure what it is as I can't put my finger on it but it just didn't grab me the way I expected it to.

So I watched “Old”

Trying to decide whether it was terrible or a bit “weird” with good ideas but poorly done. 

Guess ill file it under “The Happening” 

M. “Shite” Shyamalan AMIRITE??!  

On 04/02/2022 at 22:57, Silent Runner said:

Donnie Darko
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

After narrowly escaping a bizarre accident, a troubled teenager is plagued by visions of a man in a large rabbit suit who manipulates him to commit a series of crimes.

This was one of those films that passed me by when it was first released and that I never got around to watching. I can see why it became such a favourite of teenagers and why it has such a cult following. While watching it I felt like I was always a few minutes away from 'getting it' but the real meaning kept slipping away.

The cast are all really good - baby Jake Gyllenhaal in particular, he has that perfect mix of intensity and vulnerability. It has this slightly surreal David Lynch atmosphere in the everyday scenes (family breakfasts, school assemblies etc) then a very surreal vibe when the talking rabbit arrives and the time-travel stuff starts happening.

I think it's one of those films you can spend ages thinking about but it will never make 'sense'. I watched a ton of YouTube 'Donnie Darko explained' videos and I'm still none the wiser as to what any of it meant. I still loved it though. Banging soundtrack too.

4.5/5

I love this. Basically, if you watch the original theatrical cut, you almost couldn’t fully get it without the other stuff outside the movie. When it was first released you could visit the official website, follow the clues and at the end of the little game, you were presented with several pages from Roberta Sparrow’s book, which explained a few key tenets of the time travel element of the movie. I remember printing them off and storing them in the DVD case for future reference. 

Probably in my top 50 movies of all time. 

4 hours ago, Triple A said:

Last Night In Soho

I’m torn.  I so wanted to love it - some of the core ideas are brilliant, it looks great, casting and performances are on point and I’m a sucker for a bit of Soho.  But there is some bad writing, and other poor execution of ideas.

3/5

I felt the same. There's some great stuff to love in there but like you I found some of the writing to be pretty bad, most of the characters were wafer thin and part of it felt very Dr Who-esq which took me out of it a little.

9 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I felt the same. There's some great stuff to love in there but like you I found some of the writing to be pretty bad, most of the characters were wafer thin and part of it felt very Dr Who-esq which took me out of it a little.

It’s such a shame.

A psycho-thriller with this setup would have been a slam dunk in the hands of a more assured director.  Can you imagine this as a Satoshi Kon flick?  An absolute all-timer for sure.

I guess Edgar Wright’s film industry networking is on point I suppose.

Sunset Boulevard 

Possibly my first Wilder flick, I might have seen SLIH when I was 10 or so but then again maybe I didn’t. This is just cinema at its finest. Every element just flows together so effortlessly and I don’t think I can find a single fault with the film. I’m sure there’s 1000s of pages of review already written about this so I’ll keep to

5/5 

Sudden Death

Not Hyams greatest hour, but still one of the superior Die Hard rip offs with a brilliant performance from Boothe as the villain. I couldn’t quite figure out why Van Damme was so adept at hand to hand combat and bomb disposal when he is a Firefighter but hey ho. I’ve always enjoyed this and the action is fun and well shot. I’ve always thought Van Damme had a good 99s with more hits than misses and this just reaffirms that. 

4/5

Despite the falling snow

Nothing to really see hear that you haven’t seen better elsewhere but this has an interesting premise. It does make an odd casting decision in getting Ferguson to play 2 roles but it just about survives this baffling choice. Dance and Head provide excellent support. 

3/5

The Bourne Identity 

One of my favourite films of all time, this brilliant action thriller moves at breakneck pace while still managing to feature one of the most convincing romances ever put on celluloid. It’s fantastically well directed by Liman who just knows how to pace the film with every scene feeling completely necessary and exactly the right length. 

Shame the the 4K blu ray is a bit naff.

5/5

4 hours ago, kthxbliz said:

I love this. Basically, if you watch the original theatrical cut, you almost couldn’t fully get it without the other stuff outside the movie. When it was first released you could visit the official website, follow the clues and at the end of the little game, you were presented with several pages from Roberta Sparrow’s book, which explained a few key tenets of the time travel element of the movie. I remember printing them off and storing them in the DVD case for future reference. 

Probably in my top 50 movies of all time. 

I'm incredibly torn about this. I mean, I've never loved Donnie Darko the way many do, but the fact that vital parts of the interpretive content was kept outside the film in the Theory of Time Travel booklet was annoying.

It was made even more annoying still by pseuds at uni saying "Oh yeah, you probably have to watch it twice to get it." Nope. The content about tangent universes and the like is simply not in there. And, even though you may have an enormous tattoo of Frank, you apparently haven't been privy to this content from your favouritest ever film. It's not like a David Lynch film without answers —this one had answers, it just didn't put them on screen.

But that doesn't necessarily ruin it. And it could be seen as pioneering in terms of cross-media storytelling.

The film is good. The delivery of ideas is interesting enough. It's probably the devotees that are the worst part of the film for me.

7 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I'm incredibly torn about this. I mean, I've never loved Donnie Darko the way many do, but the fact that vital parts of the interpretive content was kept outside the film in the Theory of Time Travel booklet was annoying.

It was made even more annoying still by pseuds at uni saying "Oh yeah, you probably have to watch it twice to get it." Nope. The content about tangent universes and the like is simply not in there. And, even though you may have an enormous tattoo of Frank, you apparently haven't been privy to this content from your favouritest ever film. It's not like a David Lynch film without answers —this one had answers, it just didn't put them on screen.

But that doesn't necessarily ruin it. And it could be seen as pioneering in terms of cross-media storytelling.

The film is good. The delivery of ideas is interesting enough. It's probably the devotees that are the worst part of the film for me.

I’m pretty sure that the Director’s Cut has all the content of the pages of the book included in the additional  scenes, thereby providing the full explanation, maybe at the expense of a certain sense of mystery. 

1 minute ago, kthxbliz said:

I’m pretty sure that the Director’s Cut has all the content of the pages of the book included in the additional  scenes, thereby providing the full explanation, maybe at the expense of a certain sense of mystery. 

There's always a fine line between ambiguity and JJ Abrams-style 'Can you guess my secret that I just made up lol?' non-storytelling.

But, in the end, even if Richard Kelly did have concrete answers, the audience isn't wrong if they enjoy it pretending it didn't. And maybe splitting it into extra content allowed him to have his cake and eat it. It's even possible that including the Philosophy of Time Travel as a booklet was forced on him by the studio or something.