rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Taxi Driver 

First time I've seen it. I imagine it was shocking at the time but now...not so much. Wasn't really what I was expecting either . 3/5

• Downvote 2

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension - 5/5

OK, I'm biased because I love this film to bits, but the SE Blu-Ray was on cheap and I still spotted stuff I had never seen.  So much of this film is in the background audio or set dressing.  Anyway, it occurred to me, that WD Richter made Joss Whedon does Guardians of the Galaxy on a tiny budget, without CGI and 30 years too early.  What was a totally out there film in 1984 is very normal in the comic-book adaptation saturated world of 2019.

Catch up. 

The Dead Don't Die - 1/5 - Shite. Far too much of it simply didn't go anywhere, and it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. 

Dark Phoenix - 3/5 - Far better than I feared. Saying that, some of the acting was complete bollocks. Fortunately, Fassbender exists. 

Brightburn - 3/5 - Daft but generally decent with some shocking moments that made us squirm more than expected. A nice change. 

Vice/5

its like dick Cheney doing his impersonation of Christian bales batman.

Bush, Rummy, Powell and Rice.

Astonishing acting all round

The short runtime* still pack a lot in, and the stuff it covers... <chef-kiss> 

Not as funny as the death of Stalin, that’s for sure. Alfred Molina was good in it too.

Spoiler

the fake-out credits at the 50minute mark. Fucking brilliant.

i guesses who the narrator was about 30mins before hand.

AND a marvel avengers style post credits scene!

On 10 November 2019 at 10:43, neoELITE said:

Rambo (the new-ish one but not the one in Mexico, the one in Burma).

1hr 20 something minutes of brutal gory carnage that includes an aging Rambo outrunning the blast wave of a World War II unexploded bomb and a final fifteen minute set piece of Rambo butchering half the adult population of Burma/Myanmar.

4/5

So, the new one or the one with the lady from Dexter?

On 10/11/2019 at 18:47, Gord said:

Taxi Driver 

First time I've seen it. I imagine it was shocking at the time but now...not so much. Wasn't really what I was expecting either . 3/5

3?!?!!!!

:blink2:

The Boys From Brazil - 56.4 clones of Hitler out of a possible 94 

Daft as fuck. And a bit ropey. But well worth a watch anyway if only to put the many times I've seen it referenced in other shit in perspective.

American Made.

Based (however loosely) on a true story. Tom Cruise works for various US govt agencies and Pablo Escobar to carry out covert ops and smuggle various naughty things.

Great soundtrack and aesthetic.

4 pairs of Aviator shades / 5.

On 11/11/2019 at 02:03, Monkeyboy said:

Imagine scoring Taxi Driver 3 out of 5.

Imagine being Gord and not immediately replying to this with, "you talking to me?"

• Upvote 3

Split Second/5

The future of 2008, global warming has resulted in a flooded London, and someone with a personal connection to cop Harley Stone, is ripping out people’s hearts. 

Harley works alone, so he’s given a partner with a stupid name, and you spend the whole film wondering how long Dick Durkin will last.

with a bit more money we’d be calling this a classic, the concept is sound, but it’s a little creaky where it really matters. The set dressing is ok, the camera is a little to close to the actors to cover up the cost-cutting. 

The finale in “Cannon Street” is impressive, and was shot by a 2nd director, with both credited. The killer, designed by Steven Norrington, in less than a month, is less giger-alien inspired than I remember.

the cast is stellar. A film with both Alum Armstrong AND Pete Postlethwaite I’m supporting roles? Ian Drury? Kim Catralls breasts! Herman from Scrooged turns up as the rat catcher!

its funny too. I’m pretty sure Hauer slips in at least two looks to camera, as his partner goes through some major character development. It’s a buddy-cop movie that... doesn’t take itself too seriously. But they make it believable when it has to be.

Logan Lucky - 3.5/5

What if Steven Soderbergh remade his Ocean's heist films with Coen Brothers characters?

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines - 2.5/5

The latest straight-to-DVD animated DC feature begins with yet another run through through Diana's origin story (though fortunately this one is over and done with quite quickly). That's followed by adaptations of several comics storylines crammed together, none of which are given enough time to do them justice.

DC Showcase: Death - 3/5

This short based on Neil Gaiman's Sandman/Death comics is a bonus feature on the Bloodlines Blu-Ray (and it's also on YouTube... for now). Although it's an original story written by J.M. DeMatteis, it's highly reminiscent of two stories in the Dream Country collection ("Calliope" from Sandman #17 and "Facade" from Sandman #20), and so it won't hold any surprises to anyone familiar with the way that Sandman stories involving Death tend to go. But it's atmospheric, and it's nice to finally get an official on-screen version of something involving the Endless.

Groundhog Day - 4.5/5

First time I've rewatched it in nearly 20 years, but I remembered it well. Still great. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Princess Mononoke. 

2.5/5

It's too long. I don't know if there is a lot lost in the dub, but there isn't a likeable character. Maybe that's the point. 

Nowhere near Miyazaki's best. 

• Upvote 2

To be fair to Gord on Taxi Driver, I think when I watched it for the first time, it wasn't what I expected either. I'm not sure what I expected to be honest. And I remember not liking it much. But subsequent viewings have proven how wrong I was with my initial feelings about the movie. It's a monumental piece of film making.

• Upvote 1

Joker

Relentlessly shallow style over substance, character development with as much depth as a puddle, but I’ll throw it a bone coz he walked into a window and that was the best bit.

I get the feeling that Joaquin acted his hardest, but how much can you do when the script just reveals nothing about the character you play.  There’s nothing to feel for this one dimensional guy experiencing a string of unpleasant occurrences, with no development as a result.  It’s just scene and scene of, I guess is what’s supposed to be alienation and humiliation, but how can we sympathise or react when it never reveals anything about the person it’s happening to?

It insists upon some sort of profound outcome, but it’s just a load of stuff.  You Were Never Really Here was a thousand times better.

1/5

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 13/11/2019 at 00:24, Monkeyboy said:

To be fair to Gord on Taxi Driver, I think when I watched it for the first time, it wasn't what I expected either. I'm not sure what I expected to be honest. And I remember not liking it much. But subsequent viewings have proven how wrong I was with my initial feelings about the movie. It's a monumental piece of film making.

I'll watch it again soon.  

• Upvote 1

Fire in Babylon

5-0/5

i may have mentioned, in the cricket thread, despite being West Indian by heritage, and havibg grown up in a West Indian household, to quote 10cc, I don’t like cricket-ah...*

having watched this film, I get it.  fills in the gaps. The importance not just of the matches, but of the game, the sport itself. 

what I find interesting is that the documentary plants itself inside the WI team of the late 70s, early 80s, and let’s the players speak of the what’s and why’s, and uses old footage to show what they faced on and off the pitch. Then adds social commentary of those who noticed the changes that the success of the team brought. And how the two threads: WI cricket, and civil rights, are intertwined.

recommended.

* I love it!

• Upvote 1

Zombieland : Double Tap - would have never entered my head as a sequel I needed to see but went to this as there is not much else on in the cinema just now, and it was great fun. Very funny and surprisingly good.

4 zombie skulls out of 5

Chef 4/5

This would have been a very bog standard middle of the road comedy but it was elevated by how good a job it done of conveying the guy's passion for food. All the cooking in it was quality. Made me hungry as shit and want to cook. 

It's on Prime. 

• Upvote 1