rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

The Goonies – 1/5.

Watched on Netflix because I hadn’t seen it since I was 7, and to rewatch one of the stated inspirations behind Stranger Things. It’s crap; either it never had it, or it’s aged awfully. Inane dialogue whenever it isn’t completely inaudible, sluggish uneventful pace, unlikable characters and unsatisfying ending (what “dangerous octopus”?).

(Aside: was genuinely surprised how many swears and crude references there were in the dialogue, probably more regularly than Stranger Things. Did it all go over my head as a kid, or were the TV versions butchered?)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Hot Fuzz - 6/5 just the best.

Spiderverse - 5/5 - I don’t generally like Spider-Man films esp when Sony are making them but this was brilliant, poss one of my fave marvel films. not hot fuzz great but what is

• Upvote 4

I don't think this really needs to be its own thread: all these posts could easily go in the Movie Watchers' Blog. I know most people tend to write a few paragraphs there, but it doesn't have any explicit rule against posting ratings with single-line comments! :quote:

Anyway here's mine:

Phantom Thread - 4/5

A lot easier to get into than PTA's previous films The Master and Inherent Vice, and (as I posted in the unintentional hilarity thread) surprisingly lighthearted considering I was expecting an oppressively Serious, self-consciously Important work. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is of course the big draw, but Vicky Krieps is also really good in it. Also features Jonny Greenwood making cool noises.

• Upvote 1

Midsommar: 3/5

I enjoyed it and I don't usually enjoy horror films. Watching it felt like quite a unique experience, maybe that meant it was groundbreaking, maybe that it doesn't hold together well as a whole. Either way I liked it. Nearly a 4.

• Upvote 1

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 2/5

First hour I was thinking this was gonna be a "daft as fuck but enjoyable enough" film. But then it just kept going. At least forty minutes longer than it needed to be and just kept getting dumber. 

6 hours ago, Nequests said:

Lake of Dracula (1971)

Hammer-esque vampire nonsense from Japan. Loved it.

4/5

Are you watching the whole trilogy? I loved the first; the second not as much. Not got to the third yet.

• Upvote 1

Captain Marvel...4/5

As far as Marvel flicks go, this one's up there with the best of them. Great fun indeed. However, as I've generally got a blast out of all of them, an unbiased opinion of these things is probably well beyond me by now. 

That, and I don't seem to actually watch many movies these days.

• Upvote 3

The Kindergarten Teacher 3/5

Decent tale of a lady having a midlife crisis that gets a bit out of control. Maggie Gyllenhaal puts in a very good turn. Ends quite abruptly. Trailer almost told the whole story.

• Upvote 1

Annabelle Comes Home - 2/5

Another lame duck Conjuring spin off. Annabelle was poor, Annabelle: Creation was much improved and quite enjoyable, but this just falls right back into all the typical tropes of quiet quiet BANG scares. It does feature Lorraine and Ed Warren briefly which is fun.

Dark Phoenix - 1/5

Oh lord. I was hoping Magneto would rock up at my house and tear the iron from my body so I didn't have to finish this. So fucking dullll.... zzzzzzzzz 

Dead Man's Shoes is one of those films that, whenever it's on, I think, 'Oh, I'll just watch it up to that bit, then I'll go to bed.' Then: 'Oh maybe I'll watch to that other bit.' And so on and so on, awesome scene followed by awesome scene, until you've done the whole film and you're left a bit numb.

The scene where the three gang members are doing the washing up while discussing recycling and the merits of empty Pot Noodles doubling up as mugs is hilarious. It's such an incongruous bit of banal domesticity given what's gone on a few moments ago, and what's about to come.

• Upvote 8

Pinocchio 1940

Is there a more perfect film than this? Not a second of fat, just pure filmmaking. Insane to think it's almost 80 years old. It's perhaps somewhat overlooked nowadays. 

5/5

• Upvote 3