IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Flight - ***

Went overboard with the whole AA "Aaaa faaawnd gaaaad!" version of sobriety through spiritual salvation. So ham fisted, it feels like you're watching some made for tv melodrama at times.
Still an entertaining film despite all it's shortcomings.

On 22/01/2022 at 22:19, Thor said:

Interstellar

I fucking love this film. Yes, Dylan Thomas is overused, and Hathaway's speech about love is a bit much. But love is a central concept to the movie, which if you think about it is quite remarkable for a science fiction movie involving space travel and relativity. And the musical score... :wub: Nolan and Zimmer at the top of their game.

5/5

On 23/01/2022 at 21:59, Thor said:

Inception

Another from Nolan at the very top of his game, possibly his greatest ever movie (yeah, The Prestige is up there too). The ideas here are fantastic, and brilliantly executed, with every actor bringing their A-game. And again with Zimmer and his amazing scores; the guy is a musical genius.

5/5

Scheduled to go see him in the spring :omg:

Coherence (2014)

Exactly the kind of weird shit happens no-don't-think-about-too-much movie I like.

Eight friends get together for a dinner. Or maybe 16 friends. No, 32. 64. Maybe.

5/5

Problem+solving.jpg?format=1000w

Sing 2

I haven't seen the first one and the only review I've seen gave it 2/5, but I enjoyed this. 

The plot is a bit thin on the ground and the "troubled isolated loner" character gets won over a bit too easily, but the animation is great and do is the voice acting. The music carries it a bit, but it's a musical do it should. Some genuinely funny moments and quite a few "ice got something in my eye" scenes. 

Kids absolutely loved it. 

4/5

Godzilla Raids Again (1955) - The second in the original series. Other than introducing the monster vs monster format to the series there is nothing particularly noteworthy, even if it is decent enough. Finding that i'm quite partial to the use of models in films, as funny as it can look at times it does still have a 'solidness' that isn't always there with CGI. That Godzilla permanently looks like a middle aged man gurning his tits of an ecstasy makes all of these films worth watching.

3/5

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Sing 2

I haven't seen the first one and the only review I've seen gave it 2/5, but I enjoyed this. 

The plot is a bit thin on the ground and the "troubled isolated loner" character gets won over a bit too easily, but the animation is great and do is the voice acting. The music carries it a bit, but it's a musical do it should. Some genuinely funny moments and quite a few "ice got something in my eye" scenes. 

Kids absolutely loved it. 

4/5

Snap (except I have seen the first one, and would throughly recommend it if you haven't!)

Sing 2

Kids absolutely loved it, and I did as well.

4/5

Moneyball

Been on the list for a while, never quite got around to it.  The true-ish story of Billy Beane (Brad Pitt), "Peter Brand" (Jonah Hill) and the Oakland A's, a baseball team who took on everyone by pioneering data analysis and what is now known as sabermetrics.

It's an odd one, this.  Don't get me wrong, it's very good and hugely watchable.  But it succeeds because Pitt is superb in his role, eclipsed only by Hill as the data nerd who is proved to be right.  There is little focus on the team or the players but when they do come into it, the actors do a decent job.  The only time that a single important game is focused on is something that is so outlandish that I almost looked it up to see if it was true.  I'm not sure any of it matters though, because the two leads are so good, and in just about every scene and you can't help but enjoy watching them.

4/5

The Week Of - 2/5 (Netflix)

Watched The Meyerowitz Stories, then thumbed through Netflix and saw this. Adam Sandler, Chris Rock. Could be worth a punt!

It wasn’t. Overlong, with a really off tone, like it couldn’t decide if it wanted to be an all-out gross comedy or a heartfelt ‘dramedy’ where a bunch of people learn life lessons. Does a bit of both and doesn’t do either particularly well. A waste of talents.

That’s 94 films in January, may make it 95 tonight but may also just watch YouTube videos of people falling over.

Azor - 4/5 (MUBI)

This is a great little flick, a Swiss private banker’s torpid slither through ultra rich Argentina in 1980 as he tries to hold on to clients after his partner disappears, unearthing secrets along the way.

57 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Azor - 4/5 (MUBI)

This is a great little flick, a Swiss private banker’s torpid slither through ultra rich Argentina in 1980 as he tries to hold on to clients after his partner disappears, unearthing secrets along the way.

Thought this was great. Loved the ending.

Took my 4 and 6 year olds to see Sing 2 on Sunday.

All three of us bloomin' loved it! It was funny, it was big, it was bright, it was silly, it had some dusty eye moments. I'm not a fan of U2 or Bono but didn't mind their inclusion.

My 4 year old daughter thought it was the "best thing ever" due to it having multicoloured, rollerskating flamingos in it. Take that Frozen!!!

4 musical numbers / 5, 6, 7, 8.

Super 8

This is so close to a masterpiece for me. It’s an amazing watch, totally nailing the look and feel of 80s movies at their best. The cast are truly stupendous, not one of them puts a foot wrong. The script is also fresh and often very funny. 

What drops it down from 5/5 for me is when one of the characters gets kidnapped by the Alien. So, we have 5 characters, 4 boys and 1 girl. Guess which one the alien kidnaps. Yep, the girl. Horribly sexist and what’s even worse, the best actor in the film is missing for 20 minutes. 

4.5/5

12 Monkeys 

Been a fair while since I’ve seen this. It’s perfect movie making and one of my favourite movies of the 90s. I think it might also be Gilliam’s best. It’s unmistakably his work with his unmatched visual style in full force. The film uses time travel better than pretty much every other film that doesn’t have the words Back and Future in the title. 

Stowe and Willis give career best performances and Pitt and Plummer are having great fun. 

5/5

5 hours ago, Mikes said:

V/H/S/94 (2021)

Love a good horror found footage film, and this is four in one. Hokey and takes itself very seriously. Love it.

5/5

I enjoyed it enough I went to:

V/H/S (2012)

Some of the stories didn't work, but boy some did. Really good. Will continue with the series.

4/5

2 hours ago, Mikes said:

I enjoyed it enough I went to:

V/H/S (2012)

Some of the stories didn't work, but boy some did. Really good. Will continue with the series.

4/5

Theres a few VHS films, is this the one with the couple in the motel? That freaked me out.

Snakes on a Plane

A revisit/rewatch as I spotted it was disappearing off Netflix and I was bored.

When I saw it initially on release I thought it was entertaining shlock made with a cynical eye - it looked like a bet someone took to make a shlockyh monster B movie.

It has held up remarkably well but now it is more obvious than ever that my cynical eye was spot on. However apart from some pacing issues (1hr45 is too long for this sort of thing - Lake placid got that element nailed) it is a decent film. Good cast and no real harsh complaints, CG is shonky and there are some clunky bits but it does hang together.

The biggest mistake/jarring thing though is the reshoot line from Samuel L Jackson - It looks like they thought of adding it in 5 mins before the film premiered and they shot it in a corridor sat that premiere on a camcorder and just spliced it in, horrible. Which is a shame as the line might have been effective otherwise.

3/5

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Theres a few VHS films, is this the one with the couple in the motel? That freaked me out.

Yep. That one didn't do anything for me, but the beuaty of a film like this is that doesn't matter, because another story will be along in the next few minutes.

I just realised I tried watching VHS years ago, but the first story - the one with the kids who pick up some girls ina  bar and go back to their motel room - freaked me out so much I turned it off and didn't go back.

41 minutes ago, Mikes said:

Yep. That one didn't do anything for me, but the beuaty of a film like this is that doesn't matter, because another story will be along in the next few minutes.

I just realised I tried watching VHS years ago, but the first story - the one with the kids who pick up some girls ina  bar and go back to their motel room - freaked me out so much I turned it off and didn't go back.

I just found the whole 

Spoiler

creeping around whilst they slept very unnerving and how unguarded we are in our sleep, which ultimately proved to be the case. 

Oh yeah, I get that. The sudden shifts from not to very-much-fucking-not-normal is really well done in the stories that use it. I'm watching VHS Viral right now and the first story (first I think, this is the third I've watched today) about the magician did it very well.

Another benfit of this style of narrative delivery is avoiding the need to explain anything or justify its existence in the real world. I saw there was a spin off movie from that first story in the first film (the one that freaked me out), and I'm hesitant to watch it for that reason. Trying to establish believability rather than just show what happened and letting it's existince in otehrwise normal settings sell the story makes me thing it might miss.

Although it's 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and they tend to hjate anything that's nto a superhero movie, so that's a good sign.

Some swift reviews:

Invasion Of The Body-Snatchers (1978)

It starts off in a very 70s conspiracy sort of way and transitions into tense, exciting horror and it all works really well, the whole having to stay awake thing is novel and creates interesting situations. Whilst it didn't quite hit the nihilist nail on the head the feeling of helplessness and dread was just right for me. Excellent ending too.

4/5

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Takes so long to get going I was bored stupid by the half way mark. Last half hour is exciting but by then I really couldn't give a toss. Andrew Garfield brought no charisma to the role. It was strange seeing Rhys Ifans in this, didn't buy it. It's not awful, on a technical level it's perfectly fine, but it lacked character.

2.5/5

Carry On Camping (1969)

Mainly watched this out of a sense of nostalgia, not necessarily for the film but how they used to be on the telly almost constantly when I was a teenager but have all but vanished now, some may say for good reason. Watching it as an adult and knowing the context this came from I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I like innuendo and smutty humour and whilst there are a few alright jokes it does feel really lazy. It's crap but warm, familiar crap and whilst it has aged about as well as a pint of milk seeing the likes of Bernard Breslaw, Sid James, Hattie Jaques etc doing their usual turns did bring a smile to my face.

3/5

High-Rise Rescue (2017)

A good disaster film has a sense of danger and risk, excitement and tension, and people having to deal with the situation and learning something about their life and relations through adversity. High-Rise Rescue had precious little of anything. It tries to focus on the main character, the woman who had designed the building, trying to save her son and husband, with the help of a fire-fighter on the radio. Standing in a smoke-filled corridor talking on the radio doesn't make for exciting viewing, and there's no sense of urgency there. It takes skilful production and direction to pull off a low-budget disaster film, this fails.

1/5

47 Meters Down: Uncaged 2/5 (Netflix)

Young women. Underwater caves. Sharks. Screaming. Teeth. Some people live, some people die. Roll credits.

To Olivia - 2/5 (Sky Cinema)

A really good lead cast (Hugh Bonneville, Keeley Hawes), a potentially intriguing look at one of the greatest children’s authors of all time… and yet the film falls flat. The story is one of tragedy but is sadly rarely compelling.

By no means bad, but feels too slight to really recommend.

(#95-96/1000)

On 02/02/2022 at 03:58, Mikes said:

VHS Viral (2014)

More of the same. pretty damn awesome.

5/5

Siren (2016)

Super silly horror very well done, based on the first story of the first VHS film.

5/5

MV5BYzQ5Zjg1YjItZmRiZi00Y2U4LThmZTUtYjE4

Not sure if you missed it but VHS 2 has an absolute cracker from Gareth Evans, that is probably the best short film in the series.

Searching (2018)

Been recommended by a few people here. Watched it today, and my god it was good. Big fan of films that take storytelling in different forms, and this did it very well.

5/5

Brody-Searching.jpg

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Not sure if you missed it but VHS 2 has an absolute cracker from Gareth Evans, that is probably the best short film in the series.

I haven't, i just cna't get it on any of my streaming services for some reason. It's on my list, though.