IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years

I first watched this "back in the day" as a fan of metal (which I still am, just I haven't updated my listening list much since then) and liked it and though it was "a laugh". Now I'm older on rewatch this is an intriguing documentary that has more depth to it than it seems at first glance. The juxtaposition between the new bands trying to "break out" and the old hands like Ozzy, Lemmy and Alice Cooper is where the film is at its best. The Chris Holmes interview is a fascinating piece that you know the documentary maker didn't know what to do with it and just presented it (I suspect the Holmes interview was meant to be in with the "old hand" talk and then it went its own way). The Kiss and Aerosmith parts are less interesting as they seem to have less to say, the former are vacuous and the latter isn't ready to be honest enough.

The most troubling part though was the rampant misogyny that it revealed ran through the LA metal/rock scene (and likely all over), viewed with a more weathered modern eye it is just utterly disgusting and sad.

Spheeris does a decent job with her documentary although the lack of live performances blunt it - yes they are presented as live but I believe most are overdubbed.

However the one thing I cannot forgive is the fact she faked Ozzy spilling the juice. It was totally unneccessary and pretty shoddy thing to do and instead of making his point more powerful it stunts it by trying to show him as a figure of fun. Ozzy had his demons but when he was filmed there were glimpses of an older rocker saying that drugs are bad, that he was a fukup as were others and being seemingly open in his warnings to the next generation. That faked addition is a poor choice for a documentary maker.

3/5

Die Hard 4.0 - 3/5

I watched the first 3 over Christmas & being as though I had not watched this one since release so I thought I would give it a 15 minute trial.  It entertained me enough to watch in one sitting, while obviously being nowhere near the calibre of 1 through 3.  

No way I am completing the set with 5 though, as I still remember that as a stinking turd that I vowed never ever to go near again.

Pulse (2001)

This Japanese techno-ghost story was something of a mixed bag for me. I loved the bleakness of it, there was a bone-grey tone to everything that wasn't black. It is subtle in its depiction of the ghosts, they lurk in shadows and as silhouettes, and I loved the way the whiir-chirp of old PCs really adds to the atmosphere of dread. There were times the slow pace worked but overall the film was a good half hour too long, it's a simple story that feels drawn out. It was difficult to get into initially but I felt myself warming to what was trying to be achieved. Would watch again.

3.5/5

The Mrs and I are making our way through our annual 'most underrated/overlooked films of last year' list (that we make by googling a few different top tens..), so a bunch from me today. 

One Shot - 4/5 - this was surprisingly excellent.  Seemingly low-budget UK made action movie about a bunch of Navy seals stuck on an island black site when some stuff goes wrong.  It's directed as its name suggests, with a smart one-shot style, which definitely gave the action a much more intense, higher-budget feel than it probably had in reality.  Some clever tricks played with chase/follow scenes, hats off to the people who planned / choreographed it all, insane amount of work.  Actual story beats weren't too original but overall: very good!! 

The Harder They Fall - 3/5 - Looked beautiful! Stunning sets, colours and camerawork (proper lolled at 'white town' or whatever it was called) but overall it wasn't that interesting or clever (which for me is what makes a movie truly special). Still enjoyed it a lot though!

Shiva Baby - 5/5 - if someone had described this to me before I'd watched it, I'd probably have passed.  But so glad I watched it.  A late-teens girl gets put through some awkward moments at a Shiva (essentially a Jewish funeral wake - I only mention this because I didn't know that going in!!).  Great performances; heartfelt, poignant and pretty damned funny too. 

Wrong turn - 3/5 - this is a remake of an older version of the same movie, right?  Nothing too special/new, but pretty well executed with some excellent wince-inducing gore. 

Agnes - 2/5 - argh I feel a bit bad giving it this low a score.  It was a fascinating movie with a horror premise, but I just found where it ended up a bit disappointing and dissatisfying.  Don't want to say much more as it kinda spoils it.  I'd still recommend it just for the bizarre journey it takes you on. 

Matrix Resurrections 4/5 - watched it again at home alone because WHY NOT. I fucking love it. ❤️ :D 

C'mon c'mon - 5/5 - Another I'd probably not watched if someone had described it to me, but it has our boy Joaquin Phoenix so had to give it a watch.  An uncle ends up looking after his nephew while his sister (who he's not seen in a while since some sad stuff happened) sorts out a bit of family emergency.  Lovely, heartfelt film about life, parenthood, family, all that good stuff.  Moved me to a tears on a couple of occasions, in a good way! Stellar performances, the main kid was amazing.  Get it watched. 

Night Wolf - 2/5 (Netflix)

Low-budget werewolf flick that almost adds up to more than the sum of its parts.

The Wedding Planner - 2/5 (Prime)

Forgettable rom-com. 

(#83-84/1000)

Nightmare Alley

Guillermo del Toro's latest is a slow burn that may start boring the pants off you up until the hour mark (you've got no idea where it's going or what the main theme is) but then like a roller-coaster you crest that rise and the thing just barrels down its track. 

I can see why it bombed in the US as it's slow, it's part of a genre that isn't in vogue right now (noir) and is very long. But be patient with it and you'll be rewarded. Very gripping; very very dark. 

Motherless Brooklyn

I thought this was just excellent. First class cast with great performances. Norton directs and leads, as a 50's detective with Tourettes - which I feared woukd be annoying and showy but he does a great job.

The soundtrack is incredible too.

4.5/5

Riders Of Justice (DVD)

One of those films you watch that shows why European cinema can do everything that Hollywood pumps out on a tiny budget but with a so much more art, style and heart.

I went in almost completely blind and wouldn't want to spoil any of it. It's essentially a Danish arthouse Punisher movie with some of the darkest humour I've ever seen. 

Unique/5

12 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Riders Of Justice (DVD)

One of those films you watch that shows why European cinema can do everything that Hollywood pumps out on a tiny budget but with a so much more art, style and heart.

I went in almost completely blind and wouldn't want to spoil any of it. It's essentially a Danish arthouse Punisher movie with some of the darkest humour I've ever seen. 

Unique/5

It's such a good film.  As is another round. 

Monster Hunter  -5/5

Why did I put it on. It's worthless. Has no bearing on the source material. 

Why the desert. Consider the biomes in a MH game. Consider the depth of each weapon and it's balance against every creature in the game. If you willing to put the time in.  You can kill em all. 

Bang bang shooty monster.  They could do so much with the concept.  They chose this. Fuck P W Anderson. 

Copshop (2021)

Love crap like this, single-location b-movie action with snappy dialogue, romps at a good pace, has just the right amount of humour. It has Gerard Butler in it, so expectations should be lowered for enhanced enjoyment. Like any good thriller it knows its limits and works well within them, but that may be limiting for some. Gave myself a high five for figuring out the use of the theme from Magnum Force at the start of the film (legitimately epic soundtrack). This film didn't really deserve to use it but I guess it needed a boost. It loses tension towards the end, the sass and sharpness give way to something coarser.

3.5/5

Don't Look Now (1973)

This might upset some people, but can someone help me work out why this is considered one of the best British films ever made please?

I suppose it's really well acted and rather creepy in places (the 70s aesthetics adds to that these days) but it's really slow & plodding, characters are paper thin and nothing really happens for what feels like 80% of the runtime, other than Donald Sutherland walking around lots and an overly long sex scene thrown in there, because I guess...why not 🤷‍♂️

The ending was also frankly laughable (I genuinly knocked it down a star because of it) and I couldn't help but scoff and some of the dramatic zoom ins on random objects like that they were serving any purpose. Randomly zooming in on things does not a dramatic scene make.

I'm honestly baffed as to why this is seen in such high regard. It feels like Mulholland Drive all over again.

2/5

I would have to agree that DLN has aged pretty badly and is rather hard to appreciate if you're coming to it fresh now (or a few years ago in our case, where I felt similarly). Compared to, say, The Exorcist from the same year or Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which Sutherland made only 5 years later, it didn't exactly impress.

10 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Don't Look Now (1973)

This might upset some people, but can someone help me work out why this is considered one of the best British films ever made please?

I suppose it's really well acted and rather creepy in places (the 70s aesthetics adds to that these days) but it's really slow & plodding, characters are paper thin and nothing really happens for what feels like 80% of the runtime, other than Donald Sutherland walking around lots and an overly long sex scene thrown in there, because I guess...why not 🤷‍♂️

The ending was also frankly laughable (I genuinly knocked it down a star because of it) and I couldn't help but scoff and some of the dramatic zoom ins on random objects like that they were serving any purpose. Randomly zooming in on things does not a dramatic scene make.

I'm honestly baffed as to why this is seen in such high regard. It feels like Mulholland Drive all over again.

2/5

Haven’t seen this in many years so was interested in your opinion, then I got to the bit where you dissed Mulholland Drive. All opinion now null and void.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Haven’t seen this in many years so was interested in your opinion, then I got to the bit where you dissed Mulholland Drive. All opinion now null and void.

MD, the emperor's new clothes of films.

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Don't Look Now (1973)

Mullholland Drive is great, but I didn't see what the fuss was all about when I saw Don't Look Now either. I put it down to me being young and having never experienced grief in any meaningful way, but from what I can remember of it, aye, I reckon I'd still come up empty handed :S

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. Haha, yeah I remember lots of crash zooms on church bells and shit and thinking "they're just fucking about now" :D

Have you seen Rosemary's Baby? I remember I saw that around the same time and thought that was a load of old shit an' all.

Entertainment - ***
The Comedy - ***
Lamb - ***

Pig. 

I thought it was shite and really boring. 

It was basically a John Wick style film with all the fun and action removed, so instead of beating up the baddies, Nic Cage just waffles on about baguettes. Waste of time. 

8 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

You also didn’t rate Some Like It Hot, therefore your opinion is meaningless.

I just find that's its film that doesn't know what it wants to be and it's also terribly problematic in more ways that one, which everyone just happy to skirts over. But it does have that zinger at the end, so I guess it must be great.

Also you dislike so many things others really enjoy, therfore your opinion is also meaningless. See how pointless a statement like that is.

18 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Riders Of Justice (DVD)

Unique/5

I'm picking up a copy after reading this post, hopefully it lives up to it.

Dracula (1958 version)

A timeless classic. Like all great adaptations of Dracula it brings its own stamp to it in this case a pared down version of the book that gives its own message. Superb performances by Cushing and Lee.

4/5

Dirty Harry

I got the bluray boxset for Christmas. I love a bit of 70s gritty dinginess and Dirty Harry scratches that itch perfectly. The films go from gritty and hard hitting to ridiculous and OTT but this first outing is pretty grounded.

The city looks tired and the cops look strung out. The world looks broken and dystopian and HArry is just trying to do the right thing (in his mind). You can see so many influences for 2000ADs Judge Dredd here where the comic writers took the 1970s world of Harry and spun it out to its dystopian conclusion.

Honourable mention to Andrew J Robinson who plays the "bad guy" - a superb turn with real nuance and drive.

4/5

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

I just find that's its film that doesn't know what it wants to be and it's also terribly problematic in more ways that one, which everyone just happy to skirts over. But it does have that zinger at the end, so I guess it must be great.

Also you dislike so many things others really enjoy, therfore your opinion is also meaningless. See how pointless a statement like that is.

Doesn’t know what it wants to be? It’s a comedy/farce, very simple. If you’re talking about the gangster stuff that’s simply there to frame the plot and give them an excuse to dress up as women.

I have no idea what you mean by problematic in this case.

2 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Doesn’t know what it wants to be? It’s a comedy/farce, very simple. If you’re talking about the gangster stuff that’s simply there to frame the plot and give them an excuse to dress up as women.

I have no idea what you mean by problematic in this case.

So you don't find the fact that one of them dresses up as a woman and uses that to gain the trust of Monroes character in order to gain inside information on her so he can then further lie to her by pretending to be another person, all for the endgame of sleeping with her not problematic? How is that comedic? Its creepy and manipulative.

Her character is awful too. A vapid, gold digger who's sole ambition in life is to marry a rich man. She chases Shell Oil Jr around like a lost puppy all because he's rich, even though he treats her like crap.

I didn't like any of the characters at all.

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

So you don't find the fact that one of them dresses up as a woman and uses that to gain the trust of Monroes character in order to gain inside information on her so he can then further lie to her by pretending to be another person, all for the endgame of sleeping with her not problematic? How is that comedic? Its creepy and manipulative.

Her character is awful too. A vapid, gold digger who's sole ambition in life is to marry a rich man. She chases Shell Oil Jr around like a lost puppy all because he's rich, even though he treats her like crap.

I didn't like any of the characters at all.

You can have a manipulative character in a film without the film itself being problematic. I think you’re confusing the two things. It’s made pretty clear at the start that the Tony Curtis character is a womaniser, only interested in himself.

The storyline with Curtis and Monroe is funny because it’s utterly farcical, like the rest of the film. I really shouldn’t have to explain this though, it’s hardly a difficult film to work out.

Dont be so condescending please. I personally find it problematic because it's treats his manipulation like its all just fun and games. Just saying ah dont worry, it's fine, just forget about that because its a funny farce doesn't really cut up for me. Yeah, I'm probably over thinking it but I just didn't like the characters and didn't find them or their situation funny. Anyway, this is pointless and to get this thread back on track...

The Hobbit (1977)

Does in 117 minutes what Peter Jackson couldn't in 491.

3/5