IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

On 20/01/2022 at 11:53, Fitzcarraldo said:

The Godfather

Amazing film, shame it wasn't fully completed.

2.5/5

I know this is a dig at the 2.5 rating for Dune, but it's a bad example. The Godfather easily stands on its own as a complete story without needing the second part (and especially the third part).

12 hours ago, hmm said:

Fight Club (1999) - 4/5

Meat Loaf inspired watch last night. Still an incredible film but a tougher watch these days. Perhaps it is to nihilism as Trainspotting is to heroin?

That both are a warning sign to dangerous and stupid?

I think so. 

2 minutes ago, hmm said:

Eventually, yes, but I do find that both spend quite a lot of time making it look cool first.

The whole point of Trainspotting (the book and film) is to make heroin use  look and sound horrible. 

It's a cool made movie for sure but many critics at the time totally missed the point. 

I find it hard to believe there is a single critic who took away from Trainspotting the message ‘taking heroin is cool!’.

Unless they were from a ‘movie reviews for Christian wacko parents’ site. 

Supernova - 3/5 (Sky Cinema)

Poignant drama with Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci as a couple coming to terms with the latter being diagnosed with dementia.

The performances from Firth and Tucci are wonderful, the pair having lovely chemistry as their world collapses around them. Some wonderful shots of the North Lakes adds to the quiet beauty of a love story well told.

(#57/1000 - need to ramp things up this week, will try and get at least 20 more watched by Friday)

Inception

Another from Nolan at the very top of his game, possibly his greatest ever movie (yeah, The Prestige is up there too). The ideas here are fantastic, and brilliantly executed, with every actor bringing their A-game. And again with Zimmer and his amazing scores; the guy is a musical genius.

5/5

The Long Arm of the Law (1984) - A heist-gone-wrong set in Hong Kong. Really enjoyed this, the pacing is a bit off at times and the acting is nothing to write home about, but some really great scenes. It does a really good job of veering from the almost slapstick into violence (and back again) which keeps you on your toes. Easily stands against a lot of more popular hong kong action films. 

4/5

Blood and Black Lace (1964) - The premise is a bit basic, but I like it. Kept me guessing just long enough and didn't need a lot of thought. Utterly beautiful though, the colour, the lighting, just incredibly well done and stands up so well.

4/5

22 hours ago, ZOK said:

I find it hard to believe there is a single critic who took away from Trainspotting the message ‘taking heroin is cool!’.

Unless they were from a ‘movie reviews for Christian wacko parents’ site. 

Slight thread derail, but:

There's also Tommy's rapid descent from being the only character with his shit together and who is shown to very much take care of himself to bring very much dead when he starts using. 

I seem to remember Paxman eviscerating a Mary Whitehouse type who claimed the film glamourised heroin use. 

The Stranger (1995)

In essence the producers watched High Plains Drifter, came up with this movie where a woman biker heads to a small town terrorised by a gang of bikers to get her revenge. It's far from classic but not bad either, watchable, with some OTT beat-downs. Biggest problem is the biker gang spend most of the film out of town, the time filled with said biker woman sorting out the townsfolk and the useless sheriff having to man up.

3/5

This is on Amazon Prime if you're interested.

IT part 1 and 2.

Grouped score 4/5

I know the general consensus is lower, but I really enjoyed them, definitely one of the best Stephan King adaptations I've seen. Some really creepy visuals and effects. 

An enjoyable day of films today. One good thing about trying to watch so many in a year is I’m mining through years finding films I’ve overlooked, hence an Eddie Murphy double-bill to kick things off.

48 Hrs. - 3/5 (Sky Cinema)

One of the first buddy cop movies and a fantastic showcase for Murphy to show his almost hypnotic charisma. Nick Nolte a great foil to Murphy’s electric screen presence. Walter Hill keeps the pace suitably frenetic.

(side note recommend the book Wild and Crazy Guys; it’s a look at the comedy stars of the 80s, with Murphy featuring alongside Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Rick Moranis and more)

The Nutty Professor - 3/5 (Netflix)

If 48 Hrs. showcased several talents, this is purely a platform for Murphy to do his schtick. For the most part it works, even at the expense of, well, everything else.

Spontaneous - 3/5 (Sky Cinema)

A little gem of a comedy. At a nondescript American high school students start self-combusting for no apparent reason. What starts out as a gimmicky indie becomes a rather sweet coming-of-age piece. Katherine Langford is excellent as Mara, a teen trying to figure out her place in a weird old world.

So close to being my first 4/5 of the year.

The Street - 3/5 (Prime)

Documentary centred on Hoxton Street but encompassing the wider east London area. I’m fond of that part of the city for a number of reasons, and found this an interesting snapshot of one of the capital’s most vibrant areas.

Some of it is uncomfortable viewing, and there are some frank views aired. However, there is balance, and the doc points to where blame lies on several occasions. Sad seeing people being misled and buying into false scapegoats while their community is eroded around them.

(#65-68/1000)

More Amazon Prime:

Terminal Rush (1995)

Not much rushing going on in this shoddy straight-to-video Die Hard knock-off, this time involving a dam. Don The Dragon Wilson is going in alone despite everyone telling him not to. Roddy Piper is probably the best thing about this, firing off a few RPGs and declaring "better than sex". Well frankly I'd prefer an unsatisfying sexual experience to watching this again.

2/5

The Last Jedi

After the mediocre Force Awakens this was a breath of fresh air. It’s a far better film for me. It has a real emotional core, it makes me feel for the characters. The  young cast actually act here rather than say some lines. It still has some issues but in the main it’s exciting, incredibly well shot and moves along at a great pace. Best of all it has a cracking script. 

Grumpy Luke is equal parts annoying and interesting. I’m not sure if it was the best direction to take the character but I didn’t hate it. 

The 4K blu ray is absolutely stunning 

4.5/5

The Divergent Trilogy (that should have been a quadrilogy)

For some reason I’m a total sucker for these YA adaptations. Maze Runner, Hunger Games and this are all cat nip to me. I find them great comfort viewing. These are fun with Woodley a class act as Triss. Teller, Elgort and Kravitz offer solid support. It’s the usual fare where teens save the future. Shame then that the story never got finished as the producers made the daft mistake of splitting the last book into two. Poor box office performance for the third film put an end to the franchise. Apparently the books are a great example of the genre so I might check them out for closure 

3.5/5

9 hours ago, Mikes said:

The Girl With All The Gifts (2017)

Amazeballs.

That is all.

5/5

It’s a 3/5. Good as it is, even the book isn’t anywhere near a 5/5, and the film is basically a decent effort at putting the book onscreen.

Crime Story (1993) - Decent enough Jackie Chan flick, but the fight choreography doesn't live up to some of his earlier films. 3/5

Mighty Peking Man (1977) - Only watched this after someone on the previous page mentioned it. A really good take on King Kong! The effects are genuinely excellent and avoids the labouring pace that ruins the king kong movies.

4/5, or at least it would be if it wasn't for the animal cruelty in act 1. I won't go into details but it's unpleasant and does sour the experience.

Re. The Girl With All The Gifts -

For me, the book wasn't far off a 5, but only when read for the first time knowing nothing about it. Both it and the film suffer quite a bit once lacking that drip feed of revelations. The film was always going to be a bit hamstrung.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Re. The Girl With All The Gifts -

For me, the book wasn't far off a 5, but only when read for the first time knowing nothing about it. Both it and the film suffer quite a bit once lacking that drip feed of revelations. The film was always going to be a bit hamstrung.

Not necessarily an issue for all viewers though.

It looked like it was filmed on the cheap too, but I guess it would never attract a high budget. Having said that I’ve no idea what the budget was.

Snake Eater (1989)

It feels like a strange unintentional hybrid of backwoods hick horror and action revenge, and it doesn't really work either way. The pacing is sluggish, to say the least and some very, very sketchy acting. It has problems but a few bits with promise.

2/5

Bus Driver (2016)

Low-budget action has some good ideas and attempts at humour but it misses the mark. The flashbacks are a neat touch if overdone. The super low-grade CGI really doesn't help.

2.5/5

The Barbarians (1987) - A pretty fun sword & sorcery film. The acting is pretty hammy, to the point where it feels alike a bit of a spoof at times, but that probably enhances it rather than being another Deathstalker (or similar). It looks great too, some really decent set design, and the costumes are well done, as are the handful of monsters they meet. If you approach it from the point of view that it doesn't take itself too seriously then there is a lot of fun to be had form this film.

4/5