IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

On 08/01/2022 at 03:23, Capwn said:

Boiling point

The whole thing was apparently done in one take, they had 4 chances and did it on the 3rd. I just don’t believe it, I don’t understand it especially with such a big cast. I was eagle eyed throughout and am convinced they cut about a hour into it when someone closes a door behind them.

I thought there was a cut when the camera passed behind the charismatic waiter talking to the table of women. 90% darkness on screen that seemed deliberate. 

Liquorice Pizza 5/5

Absolute belter of a coming-of-age lovestory by Paul Thomas Anderson. Everything is just pitch-perfect; the direction, the score, the music, the cinematography, the pacing, the acting, oh my god, the acting. The two leads are fucking phenomenal. PTA at the height of his power. This is what movies are. 

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

I thought there was a cut when the camera passed behind the charismatic waiter talking to the table of women. 90% darkness on screen that seemed deliberate. 

From what I have read, it really is one take according to the director. I still don't quite believe it!

Not only was Boiling Point shot in one-take, but the clock was ticking on getting it done, is that right?

We had such a short period of time to shoot it. That day before [the March 2020] lockdown when [Boris Johnson] said ‘Get in your doors, put the bolts and we’ll see youse whenever’. That was literally our last day of filming. We’d created a script as a skeleton to riff and improvise around. Then we had a full day rehearsal [in the restaurant]. And then we had basically a dress rehearsal. And then the next day we came in and it was, like, ‘He’s shutting us down tomorrow. This is the last day we can do it’. Everyone’s absolutely shitting themselves. Because you don’t want to be the one who gets it wrong.

Presumably someone can drop the ball in the 86th minute and the whole thing’s ruined?

Yeah. And that could have happened. But what happens [with a project like this] is you’re so in it, you’re so engrossed in what’s happening that you lose track of all that. It’s the most fucking… excuse my language. I don’t want to sound pretentious but it’s the most Zen way of filming I’ve ever come across.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a38620850/stephen-graham-boiling-point-interview/

Alien 3 Assembly cut

Much much better than the theatrical cut. The additional 30 minutes really help to flesh out the story and add a much needed sense of coherency. The much troubled production led to Fincher disowning the movie, I wonder if he’s seen this cut which was completed without his input?  

Weaver and Dance are excellent and the rest of the cast are admirable. It looks fantastic, so much so that I want it on 4k blu ray asap. 

4/5

Been meaning to watch Furie, want to watch more action films. I like this twitter account, they just put up action scenes from films I've never heard of and probably won't watch:

obviously i shared this because the kick makes no sense.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I had low expectations after seeing what some people were saying, but I was pleasantly surprised. Enjoyed it. Very happy with the inclusion of so many Asian elements. The music. The subtitled sections. Helps balance out the variety of Asian ethnicities all cast as a single race sigh. 

Pretty. Nice music. Decent story. Love Ben Kingsley. Definitely don’t cut it out of your Marvel timeline. It’s really not that bad. 

2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I had low expectations after seeing what some people were saying, but I was pleasantly surprised. Enjoyed it. Very happy with the inclusion of so many Asian elements. The music. The subtitled sections. Helps balance out the variety of Asian ethnicities all cast as a single race sigh. 

Pretty. Nice music. Decent story. Love Ben Kingsley. Definitely don’t cut it out of your Marvel timeline. It’s really not that bad. 

Did people think it was bad on here? I didn't think they did.

18 hours ago, Gambit said:

Werewolves Within

We can stop saying all video game movies are bad now. This is genuinely great (with a 86% oin Rotten Tomatoes). And now on Netflix for easy viewing.

4/5

You cannot be serious. 0/5.

Conquest - 2/5 - Fulci fantasy, something about a magical bow and a woman with a mask. Can't say I was concentrating too much. Assuming it was filmed in Italy so nice to have a slightly different fantasy landscape to your usual stuff but that's about it.

Ghostbusters Afterlife - 3/5 - Don't get the hate at all, good fun all round. Biggest issue is not enough Paul Rudd.

Warriors of the Year 2072 - 2/5 - A sort of Running Man style attempt, but motorbikes. Doesn't really work. 

Matrix Resurrection - 3/5 - Poor start but felt it got a lot better as it went on.

A Better Tomorrow - 3/5 - Always get a bit mixed up which John Woo film is which in my head, predominantly because none of them end up being Hard Boiled, other than Hard Boiled of course. Would be better if Ho's brother wasn't such a whinge bag.

Delicatessen - 4/5 - Such a good film, some of the best sets ever.

On 09/01/2022 at 10:54, Gambit said:

Werewolves Within

We can stop saying all video game movies are bad now. This is genuinely great (with a 86% oin Rotten Tomatoes). And now on Netflix for easy viewing.

4/5

I put this on, saw the Ubisoft logo, did a little sick in my mouth, then turned it off.

On 09/01/2022 at 10:54, Gambit said:

Werewolves Within

4/5

“Werewolves Without” as I like to call it.

2 out of 5

14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible - 3/5 (Netflix)

Documentary following Nirmal ‘Nims’ Purja’s attempt to climb the world’s 14 8,000m+ peaks in a year.

He’s an inspiring figure, although would have liked a longer version to let some of the vistas and more poignant moments breathe a little more. Also think there’s more that could have been shown to delve into his support climbers’ stories too.

That said, it’s still a fascinating doc, well worth a watch.

(#23/1000)

Willy's Wonderland. 

Went into this with no idea of what to expect.  You should do the same.  I don't really want to tell you much, but within the first 20-30 mins you'll know if you're enjoying it. 

By all measures it should be a terrible film.  Low budget, a bit tropey, not really that interesting.  But fuck me I whooped and hollered at Nick Cage.  He smashed it (and several baddies) so amazingly well.  It's just WEIRD and I love weird. 

4/5. 

Deadly Cuts
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11366736/

A black comedy set in a working-class Dublin hair salon where the stylists become accidental vigilantes and community heroes as they take on the gang members and gentrifiers threatening their community.

I really wanted to like this (a debut feature written and directed by a woman, set in Dublin etc) but it's pretty poor. None of the jokes land, the tone swerves all over the place and the acting is straight from the Mrs Browns Boys school.

Avoid.

1.5/5

Benedetta
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823148/

A 17th-century nun in Italy suffers from disturbing religious and erotic visions. She is assisted by a companion, and the relationship between the two women develops into a romantic love affair.

Paul Verhoevens first film since Elle in 2016. This is a mix of Black Narcissus and The Devils but not really close to the quality of either. This is based on a true story of a young girl who joins a convent at an early age. As she grows up she starts having visions and dreams of Jesus. And when a new trainee nun joins the order a doomed romance starts.

You've got to hand it to Verhoeven, well into his 80's and still putting out quality work. This was sleazy, vibrant fun. The women playing the nuns are excellent and there's a great  woozy atmosphere all the way through. You can see the limited budget but it's stretched to the limit and some parts look great - gothic candle-lit castles, flamboyant dream sequences and some good crowd scenes. 

Great stuff.

4/5 

Don't Look Up (2021)

I didn't know what to expect with this film as it seems to have divided people a lot, but you can put me in the camp of people who liked it.
It's meant to be a comedy and there are certainly laughs to be had, but I see this film more of a farce overall. It's as subtle as a brick to the face but it's clearly done that way on purpose, it's taking one big massive swing at Western society and whilst parts will make you laugh, it'll also make you angry.

I liked how this painted everyone in a bad light. It showed the terrible side of politicians, the media, celebrities, pop culture, the left, the right, how fame can change you etc. One side deal with the coming catastrophe by ignoring it, acting in their own self-interest and trusting false idols in hope to save the day when the bomb ticker hits with just 1 sec left. Then you have the other side throwing fucking pop concerts and hash tagging, like thats going to solve anything. Both are inept as the other. 

However, the biggest issue this film has is that real life politics, social media and the cult of celebrity has killed this kind of satire and in doing so it makes a film like this hard work. This isn't like Idiocracy which came out in 2006, a long time before the last 5-6 years happened. That was playing on make believe (although it really nailed some stuff), this film is just real life now, especially since Trump, Brexit and Covid, before everyone was a sudden expert on stuff they gave zero fucks about before.

The whole thing is obviously a metaphor about Climate Change and telling us to act now before it's too late, before the world burns and we can do nothing to stop it. It's telling one side to focus on your profits and campaigns AFTER we've solved the issue and the other to do more than just meaningless gestures.

It's definitely too long though, especially for a film which boils down to nothing more than "listen to the experts" (which of course we should).

4/5

Annette (2021)

Incendiary stand-up comedian Henry McHenry (Adam Driver) and opera star Ann Defrasnoux (Marion Cotillard) are in love, but their bond is tested when his career starts to dip and hers starts to rise. Perhaps their new-born baby girl, Annette, can rekindle their passion. Except she’s made of wood.

I left it a few days before doing a review on this because I wanted to let the film ruminate in my head a bit more, to spend more time analysing what I'd seen and what it meant. I've come to the conclusion that I love it.

It's bizarre, it's weird and almost like a fever dream but it just penetrates your soul. I know that's sounds so pretentious but it's the best way for me to describe it.

The music is catchy, kooky, operatic and admittedly sometimes doesn't work, but when it does it's fantastic. May We Start and We Love Each Other So Much are both great. I was pulled in from the get go with the opening musical number. There's an operatic and Shakespearean nature to the story telling and I can't imagine it's by accident that certain scenes felt like you were watching a stage play.

At the heart of it all, it's a father/daughter tale and whilst the concept of a puppet child sounds like it's trying to be weird and odd for the sake of it, it actually has great purpose to the plot and when it all that comes to the forefront, it made me love it even more.

Adam Driver is just outstanding in this, his stand-up routine at the beginning is mesmerising and I love how in time the crowd is with him and how that starts to falter as the film goes along and his stardom starts to fall. It's a really wonderful performance, especially his physicality which is on another level, plus he has this amazing presence that doesn't let up throughout the film.

I can't tell you this is accessible for most movie goers because it really isn't. It's like no musical or film I've ever seen before, but I really recommend people giving it a go. If for nothing else other than to see a musical number during both a sex and a childbirth scene.

The more I've thought, talked and read about it the more it's grown on me. I have it ranked as my 6th favourite film of last year.

4/5

Hitchcock Film Challenge - 1/53

The Pleasure Garden (1925)

In my quest to watch every Hitchcock film I started at the beginning with The Pleasure Garden.

Full disclosure, this is the first silent film I've ever watched and the first 15 minutes were a real struggle, but the more I watched the more I got into it. 

However, it's nothing special, just a very simple but effect melodrama. You can see glimpses of Hitchcock in there, specifically the use of ghostly images and moments of tension but had it not had his name attached to it, it would certainly be a film lost to time.

2/5

In This Corner of the World

A sort of "Grave of the Fireflies, light". Beautiful animation of a young woman growing up in World War 2 era Hiroshima. Less harrowing than that sounds, but with some distressing parts all the same. I was especially impressed with how the story was mostly concerned with the lives and worries of the women who managed life at home.

4/5

7 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Annette (2021)

I left it a few days before doing a review on this because I wanted to let the film ruminate in my head a bit more, to spend more time analysing what I'd seen and what it meant. I've come to the conclusion that I love it.

It's bizarre, it's weird and almost like a fever dream but it just penetrates your soul. I know that's sounds so pretentious but it's the best way for me to describe it.

The music is catchy, kooky, operatic and admittedly sometimes doesn't work, but when it does it's fantastic. May We Start and We Love Each Other So Much are both great. I was pulled in from the get go with the opening musical number. There's an operatic and Shakespearean nature to the story telling and I can't imagine it's by accident that certain scenes felt like you were watching a stage play.

At the heart of it all, it's a father/daughter tale and whilst the concept of a puppet child sounds like it's trying to be weird and odd for the sake of it, it actually has great purpose to the plot and when it all that comes to the forefront, it made me love it even more.

Adam Driver is just outstanding in this, his stand up routine at the begining is mesmerising and I love how in time the crowd is with him and how that starts to falter as the film goes along and his stardom starts to fall. It's a really wonderful performance, especially his physicality which is on another level, plus he has this amazing presence that doesn't let up throughout the film.

I can't tell you this is accessible for most movie goers because it really isn't. It's like no musical or film I've ever seen before, but I really recommend people giving it a go. If for nothing else other than to see a musical number during both a sex and a childbirth scene.

The more I've thought, talked and read about it the more it's grown on me. I have it ranked as my 6th favourite film of last year.

4/5

Do you know Sparks music?