IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Ron's Gone Wrong - 3/5 - Some good gags and good fun overall, all these animated films start to roll into one amorphous lump though.

Sorcerer (1977) - 4/5 - Only watched after some recommendations in this thread. Really fucking great, only marked down because the notion of all the characters ending up in this one location seems a bit of a stretch, even if the setup and the rest of the film are amazing. I feel like this might be a 5/5 after a second watch though. Banging soundtrack.

The Wraith (1986) - 4/5 - Enjoyable 80's flick with a suitably ridiculous story.  

Heavy Metal (1981) - 5/5 - Watch this at least twice a year, will put a 5/5 in here whenever I do.

John and the Hole (2021)

Rich family and spoiled kid. Kid discovers an abandoned bunker site in the woods out back. Drugs his family and dumps them in the hole left there.

Written by Giacobone, who wrote Birdman. Study of a 13yo boy dealing with themes of puberty, loneliness, anger, confusion. Goes to lengths to portray the child as not having, but also having sociopathic tendencies. Clear that due to having all he wants he's been left with a 'hole' (aahh metaphors) where emotion and understanding would be. Also slightly touches on rich white privilege with particular scenes (the boy drives his father's car around the neighbourhood with no consequence etc)

Juxtaposed with a mother telling her child of the story of 'John and the Hole', which have a deeper meaning I won't touch on here.

Beautifully shot in 4:3 giving family scenes a claustrophobic feel. Dexter is the dad and he is great. Kid is wonderfully hateful. Really liked the ending. Solid all round.

[7]

Spider-Man: No Way Home

Superb - one of the very best MCU films.  I somehow managed to avoid all trailers and spoilers, so aside from one aspect which is spoiled just by looking at posters/bus adverts etc, I had absolutely no idea what was in store for me.  Absolutely loved it.  Took the kids and it was a proper Christmas cinema trip.  

4.5/5

Christmas Is Cancelled

A horrible, horrible film featuring possibly the most objectionable character I have ever seen as a supposed grown woman who can't accept her widowed father is dating a girl she went to school with so goes out of her way to be a dickhead.  Set at Christmas time so crank the dreck levels up a notch.

1/5

Don't Look Up

Fantastic - one of my films of the year.  Unsubtle, but some of the star turns are excellent, particularly Meryl Streep's she-Trump and Mark Rylance's creepy Musk.  A bit too close to reality in places, but sometimes you just have to laugh at the utter stupidity of the human race.

4.5/5

Old

M Night Shyamalan's rather creepy yarn from last year where people stranded on a beach start to prematurely age in a single day.  I didn't think much to the performances, but the idea and execution were pretty cool.

3.5/5

Sound of Metal

Riz Ahmed is OUTSTANDING as a drummer who suddenly loses his hearing - his adjustment to his new surroundings is heartfelt, sad and very well directed.  

4/5

Ad Astra

A muddled film about an astronaut who ventures into the solar system to prevent a strange array of electrical storms which have appeared on earth.  Some great set pieces which are ruined by ridiculously implausible situations (I'm not one of those annoying people who look for any plot hole and moan about them, but FFS, come on!!), but balanced by impactful scenes of vulnerability and loneliness.  Very much a mixed bag.

3/5

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Oof - when did the MCU get so bloody beautiful?  The last third of this film is stunning to watch.  Action littered throughout in an entertaining way and a bit of redemption for the character of The Mandarin, who was so poorly executed in Iron Man 3.  This seems to have gone under the radar somewhat - not sure if that's due to the pandemic or just MCU burnout but this is a strong showing.  Bring on a sequel!

4/5

The Lost Daughter

Olivia Colman is never bad in anything she's been in, and this is another strong showing in Maggie Gyllenhaall's directorial debut.  The film tailed off a bit in places, but the performances of Colman (and Jessie Buckley who plays a younger version of the same character) make this worth a watch.

3/5

The Power of the Dog

Found this quite a mesmerising watch, with occasional sheer on edge tension courtesy of a really fantastic score.

Spoiler

Unfortunately I think I twigged where things were going fairly early on when the kid visits a diseased cow, but it was a superbly acted journey getting there. I think much as there is tragedy with Phil and maybe the expectation is you would feel for him later on, I found the scenes where he abused animals, especially whipping the horse, to be very uncomfortable to watch. It perfectly fits his character and a symptom of his suffering of course, but animal abuse is definitely a difficult start for me to start feeling the sympathy. But still, a minor personal issue and overall great.

4/5

Ghostbusters Afterlife 

Thought the first half was actually...ok. Then the second half was just an onslaught of 'stuff happening'. I always thought Goza/Gatekeeper was the worst part of Ghostbusters so found it disappointing that they focused the 3rd act on that. Anyway, not much creativity here. Felt more like a tv spin off. I'm counting this as a 2021 film for my charts, where it sits at 31 out of 32 films I watched. 

1/5

Some films from the start of the year:

No Time To Die

My memories of previous Daniel Craig Bond films have seemingly been mind wiped by the Men In Black, because aside from some set pieces, I have no idea. I rememebr enjoying all of them except for Quantum of Solace though. Anyway, No Time To Die is a rather fitting send off for the Craig era. Good action, script was okay, and Ana De Armas is just :wub:. What stops it from becoming top tier Bond though is the villain. I always judge my Bond's on the strength of their villains, which is why Goldeneye is my favourite, this one though.....he's just there. Rami Malek giving off big Jared Leto energy that I wasn't a fan of.

4/5

Candyman 3: Day of the Dead

A podcast I listen too has been doing a watch along with this series so I had to watch it! Bloody hell it's boring. And terrible. A Baywatch actor in the lead screaming her way through the script, while the main prison guard actor from Prison Break goes all rapey. Some good shots though. Mainly Tony Todd floating through a subway tunnel on a cloud of bees! That alone just about knocks it up one point.

1/5

Candyman (2021)

As above, watched this so I can listen along with a podcast. This is my favourite Candyman film! It manages to ride the line between social politics and enough kills/gore to satisfy people just looking for a straight up horror. Great performances throughout too.

4/5

Death Note (Japanese Live Action)

I got the anime boxset for Christmas so have been absolutely devouring everything Death Note related. The first Japanese live action film (starring the main kid from Battle Royale) is a really good adaptation that brings it's own ideas too in order to end it in a way that sets up the next film. The CGI, for a Japanese films from 2006, is also surprisingly good. Cheesy, but good.

3.5/5

Death Note: The Last Name

Filmed back to the back with the previous film, this deviates a fair bit from the source material towards the end. But considering the stuff cut was the worst part about the anime then I was all for it. Some hilarious overracting towards the end too.

3/5/5

Death Note (American  Remake)

Fucking terrible. Don't expect the same cat and mouse game between Light and L in this one. Instead they're both fucking idiots with this films version of Misa and Ryuk being completely different than the originals. Ryuk, instead of just watching the events unfold is instead here portrayed as pulling the strings of Light. They're currently threatening to do a sequel, which hopefully never comes to fruition.

0/5

6 hours ago, Capwn said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife 

Thought the first half was actually...ok. Then the second half was just an onslaught of 'stuff happening'. I always thought Goza/Gatekeeper was the worst part of Ghostbusters so found it disappointing that they focused the 3rd act on that. Anyway, not much creativity here. Felt more like a tv spin off. I'm counting this as a 2021 film for my charts, where it sits at 31 out of 32 films I watched. 

1/5

Just curious - what film did you rate worse than that Ghostbusters dreck?

On 04/01/2022 at 15:56, Boothjan said:

The Lost Daughter

Olivia Colman is never bad in anything she's been in, and this is another strong showing in Maggie Gyllenhaall's directorial debut.  The film tailed off a bit in places, but the performances of Colman (and Jessie Buckley who plays a younger version of the same character) make this worth a watch.

3/5

It was good, wasn’t it. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was clever. 

The Judge 2014

Roberts Duvall and Downey Jr. I thought it would be good cos the premise was interesting. Netflix synopsis could have gone many ways. 

Did not expect it to be so good. It’s intense. It’s difficult. Have something light hearted to watch/do after. But watch it. 

4.5/5

Black Friday (2021)

Throwback to the 80s stupid horror bout Black Friday at a toy store and some meteorite has left gunk that turn people mental and deformed and rabid and shit goes down. Bruce Campbell and him out the wonderful Idle Hands are in it. Greatly shit practical FX and humour that doesn't quite land but its 80 minutes and absolute shit for brains idiocy that passes the time as you ooze IQ out your eyes.

[2.5]

Round up from the last couple of days.

The Maus - 1/5 (Netflix)

Baffling horror.

The Unholy - 1/5 (screener)

Boring horror.

Ron’s Gone Wrong - 3/5 (Disney+)

Felt a tad too long but is a really sweet film.

The Mustang - 3/5 (Netflix)

Solid prison drama. Felt authentic, and the real life prisoner programme it’s based on is fascinating.

Zola - 3/5 (Screener)

Madness. Doubt I’ll see a more ‘indie’ film all year, but stays the right side of entertaining.

Uncle Drew - 3/5 (Netflix)

Surprisingly warm-hearted basketball comedy. Nice easy watch. Contains scenes of Shaq-Fu.

987 to go!

Furie

What is it with baddies in these kinds of films always being organ harvesters. Anyway, liked the lead star, but much as I like a bit of well choreographed martial arts action, it was mostly a bit tepid. The narrative glue that helps hold it all together was quite weak and the fights tended to be over just as they started to get good. Nice colour palette though.

2.5/5

The Lost Daughter (Netflix)

I really didn’t enjoy this. The two main actors were good, particularly Jessie Buckley, but the character was unlikeable and the premise set off my social anxiety big time. The whole thing was just my idea of hell.

2.5/5

Don't Look Up - What happens if you get a satire written by someone overly online? Well, it's not very funny and the satire doesn't really work.

Don't look up can't stop contradicting itself, you're supposed to trust the scientists, but not the bad scientists like the political appointee to NASA, or the Nobel winners hired by the silicon valley guy. The main character tells us that the elites aren't competent enough to engineer a conspiracy only for the next scene to reveal they built an interstellar spaceship and solved cryonics in six months. The people who don't trust the scientists and wear red caps are bad, but our heroes who go on a rant about how all the scientists are lying are good and correct.

You get what it's going for, but you feel it's all based on the usual online arguments where the same behaviour is hypocritically treated differently based on political identity, I think the writer would be honestly shocked to find that their script works both ways and that the message of "trust the supermarket clerk who tells you that all the scientists are lying as they're actually a bold hero standing up to the establishment" might appeal to anti-vaccers or other stripes of conspiracy theorist.

All the performances are great (love Timothy Chalemet as a skater bro), but the script just isn't there. 2.5/5

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Missus hadn't seen this. It's my guilty pleasure Alien film. You've all seen it and if you haven't don't talk to me. Perlman is wonderful, Weaver dons it, water and ladder sequence is great. Utterly fucking silly. Great stuff.

[3]

Boiling point

98% on rotten tomatoes! 

Film following a hectic night in the life of a restaurant crew. This was good but very British, i.e bleak/raw. The whole thing was apparently done in one take, they had 4 chances and did it on the 3rd. I just don’t believe it, I don’t understand it especially with such a big cast. I was eagle eyed throughout and am convinced they cut about a hour into it when someone closes a door behind them.

anyway, I loved the tone/intensity of it but felt that the last act was a bit flat and anticlimactic/unoriginal. 

2.5 out of 5

Space Truckers 

Ive always been curious to see this. Well, having finally seen it I can comfortably say it’s one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Absolutely nothing works, a good cast is wasted and it looks awful. The sexual politics are best described as “questionable “ and it feels like it was made in the 60s rather than the 90s. 

0/5

Moonrise Kingdom -4/5. Another quirky cracker from Wes Anderson. 

The Shack -1/5. Fucking horrendous religious bullshit. Insulting. 

Drive My Car - 5/5

Saw this appear high on many critics best films of 2021 lists, so was delighted to see that it was streaming on Curzon (and BFI Player). It’s a three hour long Japanese film about grief that manly consists of people driving about, and rehearsing Chekhov plays. I know that sounds a tough watch, but it really isn’t. Could happily have watched three hours more. Fantastic film.

Drive My Car 

Buried somewhere in the overlong running time (it’s longer than Dune!) and layers of pretentiousness was actually quite a moving story about dealing with grief and guilt. I was a lot better than the last film I saw based on a book by Murakami, Norwegian Wood. That one put me to sleep.

3/5

The Happiest Girl in the World - 3.5/5 (MUBI)

This is interesting but not compelling viewing. It’s the story of a girl who wins a competition for a car by sending in orange juice labels, and to collect has to go to Bucharest to film an advert for the juice company. The competing needs of her parents, the film crew, the ad agency and the juice company make for a tough day.

There is a lot to like about this - one of the best things is it’s very much like an Eric Rohmer flick, as a decent slice of contemporary Romanian life goes by the lens while the protagonists pull each other through the ringer on a hot summer’s day.

On 08/01/2022 at 03:23, Capwn said:

Boiling point

The whole thing was apparently done in one take, they had 4 chances and did it on the 3rd. I just don’t believe it, I don’t understand it especially with such a big cast. I was eagle eyed throughout and am convinced they cut about a hour into it when someone closes a door behind them.

I thought there was a cut when the camera passed behind the charismatic waiter talking to the table of women. 90% darkness on screen that seemed deliberate.