IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Avengers Assemble - 3/5

Not quite the slam dunk I was hoping for. It's unquestionably fun and novel to see the various superheroes fight/spar/joke with one another and some of the action sequences remain eye-popping nearly a decade later. The CGI has held up much better than some of the prior movies and the presumably enormous budget is up there on screen for all to see.

I simply didn't care for the story. It is very slow to get going and there is lots of expository, pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo that had my eyes glazing over a while. While good to see Loki back, the alien army he brings with him are rather anonymous, underdeveloped and unremarkable. They felt like a disposable threat that could be introduced and dispatched within a single movie as an excuse to bring the characters together without affecting the future of the franchise too much rather than a compelling foe in and of themselves.

Most damningly, I didn't feel like what is intended to be the main driving force for all the heroes putting aside their differences - the death of one of the more prominent SHIELD agents - really rang true.

I was mildly surprised he died but I couldn't really understand why any of the heroes would care all the much when compared to the death of literally any other civilian or SHIELD member. We had barely seen them interact and most of the superheroes have a barely disguised disdain for SHIELD, getting briefly introduced at some point in their respective movies before buggering off and then showing extreme suspicion during this one.

They contrive a reason for Captain America to care more but I didn't buy that everyone else would necessarily care so much. They didn't put the legwork into making me feel like his specific death would be particularly impactful or noteworthy to them.

I do wonder how audiences felt about some aspects of the movie at the time of release. I'd watched all the prior movies in the past two weeks so I understood his significance in the story. Had you simply watched all the movies at the time of release, with often year long gaps in between them, would he have meant that much to you as a viewer? I'm not so sure. His combined screen time over the course of the movies must have been very low.

Big, loud, expensive, silly fun but very flat narratively.

On 19/11/2021 at 20:13, Benny said:

The General

4.5/5

I had never seen it until now. My main takeaway: I don't know why anyone bothered to make action movies afterwards. Here we are, nearly 100 years later, and nothing anyone is making now comes even close or has the same sheer balls.

Why docked half a point? Some of the scenes gave me genuine anxiety.

On 19/11/2021 at 20:17, ZOK said:

Yep, it’s an incredible flick. I got to see it with a live orchestra once, just a mind-boggling experience.

I was mildly obsessed with Keaton's films when I was a kid, highly recommend this excellent Thames Television documentary about him from the 80s

Links to episode 2 and 3 are in the description.

On a separate note, has anyone signed up to MUBI through a link I posted? Afaik I’ve only ever posted a link in here, but they keep sending me gifts for people signing up through me…so far they’ve given me three free months and a lovely MUBI tote bag! So if it was anyone here, cheers. :hat:

Red Notice

Almost the definition of a Netflix film. Bigger stars and budget than they know what to do with, leaving a lazy action film with predictable set pieces and dialogue. 

Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds carry the film, but to be honest I'm not sure either of them are actually acting these days. Reynolds in particular just spins out the same performance in every film and it's no different here. 

It passed the time, nothing more. 

2/5

Breaking Away (1979)

Aww what can I say?  This is definitely up there as one of my favourite films.  You lucky so and so if you haven't seen it.

The film mainly follows four kids just graduated from high school and they don't really know what to do.  Except one of them has fallen in love with cycling (Dave).  So it's all about the kids, Dave's parents and Dave's cycling.

It appealed to me a lot as a story.  I was born in Burnley so when I was at school I got called all sorts about where I was from - "Dingle", "Inbred", "Mong" etc etc.  This even continued into my first job after people asked "where you from/what football team do you support?".  The kids in the film are called "Cutters" by the students at the local University as they come from families who have mainly worked as stone cutters in the local quarry - y'know not academic/working class scum etc.  So there's kind of a class war thing going on.  I can relate to being called a Cutter anyway. :D

There's a lot of comedy but I think the darkness is pretty powerful too.

Spoiler

Dave's dad worked in the quarry and lost his job so now he is a car salesman.  Predictably dad doesn't like his son being so passionate about cycling - he's really horrible to him about it in the opening act.  I really don't like seeing a dad relentlessly putting his son down over what he is so passionate about.  But, over the course of the film, you find really his anger is about him working at the car showroom and hating it/himself. 

When watching last night I found the dad's performance was one to remember.  He just loves his son so much and is so proud of him.  It did make me pretty emotional when they embrace after the race after everything that has been said in the opening.

As I usually find watching "coming of age" types of films - they do take you back to when you were their age.  But maybe this is the first one where I've come away with more focus on the parents?  Maybe when you're watching as a younger person you focus on the kids and when you're older you focus on the dad?

Wonderful film. 5/5

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Extremely Wes Anderson - whimsical, silly fun. 4/5.

Joshua - Was in Disney+ in the horror section, but it’s more psychological drama. Only watched it because I like both Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga. Sadly, it was extremely dull and obvious. I think it was aiming to gradually build tension until you reached the denouement, but said tension was non-existent. 1/5.

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

On a separate note, has anyone signed up to MUBI through a link I posted? Afaik I’ve only ever posted a link in here, but they keep sending me gifts for people signing up through me…so far they’ve given me three free months and a lovely MUBI tote bag! So if it was anyone here, cheers. :hat:

I haven't had one but f you have any more I'd be keen on taking one! 

There are a couple of films on MUBU I fancy watching so have been considering swapping to them from my BFI sub for a few months. If I can do so whilst also scoreingyou a month or two and/or a tote or then that would be great.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I haven't had one but f you have any more I'd be keen on taking one! 

There are a couple of films on MUBU I fancy watching so have been considering swapping to them from my BFI sub for a few months. If I can do so whilst also scoreingyou a month or two and/or a tote or then that would be great.

No problem at all, here you go, I don’t know if I get more free months now but you will get a free month with the link:

https://mubi.com/t/ipad/email/Ea9UC8T9

I used to have BFI player too but I dropped it and stuck with MUBI, it seemed like a better option to me (although it’s more expensive). Certainly the MUBI contemporary selection is better, I think BFI is probably a better choice if you want access to ‘classic’ movies.

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

No problem at all, here you go, I don’t know if I get more free months now but you will get a free month with the link:

https://mubi.com/t/ipad/email/Ea9UC8T9

I used to have BFI player too but I dropped it and stuck with MUBI, it seemed like a better option to me (although it’s more expensive). Certainly the MUBI contemporary selection is better, I think BFI is probably a better choice if you want access to ‘classic’ movies.

Thanks very much, it's highly appreciated.

Yeah, the BFI catalogue selection is superb and great value but I quite fancy the rotating menu of MUBI for a while as that will encourage me to watch things new to me rather than rely on an old favourite.

Going to start with Censor...

Vice

This felt like very immature movie making to me so I was surprised and baffled to find out it was the director’s 10th movie or thereabouts. What saves the movie is two amazing central performances from Bale and Adams. They add a prestige to the film that it really doesn’t deserve. Perry is also fantastic, but Rockwell is woefully miscast as Bush. When it works, the satire is good, but far too often I felt it lacked any finesse at all. 

3/5

The Da Vinci Code

An excellent thriller that moves at great pace. It’s utterly daft of course, but the cast all seem to be enjoying themselves and Howard juggles all the plot threads with ease. Bettany is almost unrecognisable as Silas and gives a wonderfully over the top performance. 

4/5

Ry and I seem to have similar tastes as I went from red notice a few nights ago to harder they fall tonight and I don't know if it's just how bad red notice was but I really liked this.  It had decent acting for a start.  I really like lakeith Stansfield in everything I have seen him in. 

I'd probably go 3 out of 5 rather than 4 as it's hyper stylised to over the top.  Buck and nat love were actually the least interesting characters, which says a lot for how good the cast are.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Thanks very much, it's highly appreciated.

Yeah, the BFI catalogue selection is superb and great value but I quite fancy the rotating menu of MUBI for a while as that will encourage me to watch things new to me rather than rely on an old favourite.

Going to start with Censor...

That’s the only real issue with it, stuff does disappear, but lots also stay on past the 30 day window.

Here’s list of essential watches I’ve seen that are still on there:

New Order

Brother

Scenes With Beans

I Like Life A Lot

The Love Witch

Pusher 1,2&3

Under the Tree

Showgirls

The Imperialists are Still Alive!
The Basilisks

Bacurau

The Black Power Mixtape

Surge - 2/5 (Netflix UK)

If BBC2 did Uncut Gems. Ben Whishaw is brilliant as a man falling apart but the film lacks any real depth beyond his remarkable performance.

Space Jam: A New Legacy - 2/5 

Obviously it’s rubbish, but it has some amusing moments. Such a shame the core Looney Tunes characters are largely sidelined for the most part. And who on Earth thought it should be almost two hours long?! It’s a longer film than Taxi Driver!

Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins - 1/5

I have a soft spot for these British gangster films. They’re utter tripe, but it’s fun watching the abysmal performances. And Origins is up there with the best of the worst of them. Also contains a wig of staggeringly bad proportions. Film of the year.

Black Friday - 3/5

B-movie fun with Bruce Campbell! And Devon Sawa! Low budget horror done well.

(last three were all screeners, think all are on PVOD… but please don’t spend any money on Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins. You dirty facking mugs)

8 hours ago, skondo said:

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Extremely Wes Anderson - whimsical, silly fun. 4/5.

Frickin' love this film.

The Deep House (2021)

Standard horror film well executed. The set up is very well done, but it starts to come apart after things start to get real in the story. I think it realises this though and pushes that point as far back as possible. Decent enough, not worth seeking out.

3/5

MV5BYTU0MTExZGItYzdmNi00NGI5LWIxMTQtNDgz

Pusher III - 4/5

Last one in the trilogy. I enjoyed it a lot, but the second one is still my favorite (because I love Mads Mikkelsen). The entire trilogy is great, I'm definitely going to look up what else the director did.

27 minutes ago, Sane said:

Pusher III - 4/5

Last one in the trilogy. I enjoyed it a lot, but the second one is still my favorite (because I love Mads Mikkelsen). The entire trilogy is great, I'm definitely going to look up what else the director did.

If you haven't seen Drive you're in for a treat. His best movie since the Pusher trilogy, imo. 

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

That’s the only real issue with it, stuff does disappear, but lots also stay on past the 30 day window.

New Order

Brother

Scenes With Beans

I Like Life A Lot

The Love Witch

Pusher 1,2&3

Under the Tree

Showgirls

The Basilisks

Bacurau

The Black Power Mixtape

Thanks!

I’ve seen Bacurau (excellent!) and Love Witch (so so) but the rest are almost all entirely unknown to me so I shall try a few over the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

If you haven't seen Drive you're in for a treat. His best movie since the Pusher trilogy, imo. 

I find Drive a bit empty really, it’s certainly a decent flick with some great bits but not on a par with any of the Pusher films. Neon Demon on the other hand is just superb.

And @Sane, if you’ve got Prime check out his cop show Too Old to Die Young, it’s spectacular!

10 hours ago, ZOK said:

I find Drive a bit empty really, it’s certainly a decent flick with some great bits but not on a par with any of the Pusher films. Neon Demon on the other hand is just superb.

And @Sane, if you’ve got Prime check out his cop show Too Old to Die Young, it’s spectacular!

Ah he did Drive! It's a little style over substance but I enjoyed that. Neon Demon I think I've seen, but somehow I'm drawing a complete blank trying to recall it. I see he also did Bronson, I liked that a lot too! I've added the cop show to my watchlist, god knows when I can find the time to watch it though. I have some alone time the next few weeks so I try to prioritize things I won't otherwise get around to when my family's here so movies are higher on the list.

21 hours ago, ZOK said:

New Order

Brother

Scenes With Beans

I Like Life A Lot

The Love Witch

Pusher 1,2&3

Under the Tree

Showgirls

The Basilisks

Bacurau

The Black Power Mixtape

Sadly, most of these are no longer showing but I've added them to the watch list in case they come round again.

I dod watch the two shorts, Scenes With Beans and I Like Life A Lot, and both were absolutely brilliant so thanks for recommending them.

13 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Sadly, most of these are no longer showing but I've added them to the watch list in case they come round again.

I dod watch the two shorts, Scenes With Beans and I Like Life A Lot, and both were absolutely brilliant so thanks for recommending them.

Cool, glad you liked them! They’re all still available for me though…how are you watching it? MUBI has some funky ui where depending on how you watch you see different things as available.

EG on the LG app you used to only be able to see the last 30 daily flicks as they rotated on and ‘off’ the service, but now you can also see various collections as well., so loads more than the 30 current ones. I think via the website you get access to their whole library, so maybe check that out too.

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Cool, glad you liked them! They’re all still available for me though…how are you watching it? MUBI has some funky ui where depending on how you watch you see different things as available.

EG on the LG app you used to only be able to see the last 30 daily flicks as they rotated on and ‘off’ the service, but now you can also see various collections as well., so loads more than the 30 current ones. I think via the website you get access to their whole library, so maybe check that out too.

Well that is weird and annoying.

I'm watching on the Apple TV app but will download it from LG too. It is a tad irritating as I can see the films after searching for them but am unable to play them (through Apple TV) but, yeah, I've just checked and they are playable via the website on the computer.