IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

19 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

Get in the fucking sea. 

Right in.

Head first.

I always really liked Vampires. I saw it as a teenager and since then never understood the hate it got. I saw Assault on Precinct 13 much later and was kind of disappointed. Obviously great score and one of the most chilling murders in cinema probably but not a lot of fun or memorable or getting the most out of the premise. 

I'll find the nearest sea...

Ad Astra - now on Amazon Prime Video

Really decent sci-fi that I wasn't expecting from Hollywood. Great soundtrack and visuals. The main plot device is a bit pointless though, and it has a blink and miss it reason for being one.

3.5/5 - it would have been a great 4/5 if they had made it work without the voice over

Thor - 3.5/5 

This is my favourite of the MCU movies so far. It's preposterous and shouldn't work within the confines of this universe but somehow it does. 

I did enjoy all the fantasy scenes more than the real world scenes though. The expected fish out of water material is fun but the romance plot is barely there and I usually found myself craving for the film to return back to Loki and co (hands down the best and most complex villain to this point).

Captain America: The First Avenger - 2.5/5

Frustrating. There were parts of this movie that were amongst my favourite of all the MCU movies so far. While slow, I enjoyed the build up to Captain America being birthed and the time spent luxuriating in the 40s setting more than what came afterwards. 

I'm not a comic book fan so I have no idea how people feel about Captain America but I found him really white bread and bland in this. He doesn't have any interesting powers or abilities and his character can basically be defined as 'decent guy who wants to protect America' which means there's a giant beige hole where an interesting protagonist should be. Personality wise, this is a huge comedown off the back of Thor and Iron Man.

I also felt like the villain never lived up to his early potential. He shows genuine menace in the very early scenes which seemed to dissipate at the movie progressed. The narrative angle of a branch of the Nazi party rebelling via magic/science was never as interesting as I hoped it would be. The movie is too wholesome for that.

I did very much enjoy the change of era, the love interest and the musical number was an absolute banger. But everything superhero focussed about this superhero movie fell flat for me.

The First Avenger is a much better film when rewatching after seeing all the shit Steve Rogers goes through. It's between him and Thor for my favourite MCU heroes. If this is your first time watching these movies, then I'll look forward to your posts in here.

The Harder They Fall - 4/5

From absolute Netflix shite that is Red Notice to Netflix gold with this. 

Really great, stylish (obvious Tarantino influence) really well shot and some great characters. I loved it. 

Red notice, fuck me this is bad.  How, just how can you spend money on Ryan Reynolds, the rock and gal gadot and put them in this absolute shite.

I could have wrote a better story.  

It's criminally bad, it must be some mad tax scheme where you can claim back more tax on how bad the films you are in are.  

0/5

20 hours ago, Ry said:

The Harder They Fall - 4/5

From absolute Netflix shite that is Red Notice to Netflix gold with this. 

Really great, stylish (obvious Tarantino influence) really well shot and some great characters. I loved it. 

I thought this was okay - a 2.5 bordering on a 3.

Unfortunately when you take the style away, the substance of this flick proves to be some pretty thin gruel indeed. There was a sudden sniff of an interesting story when the Idris Elba character and his female Lieutenant started talking about their plan for Redwood, but then that conversation may as well never have happened.

Some potentially great characters and some lovely action set ups looking for a story to hook into, really. 

12 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Unfortunately when you take the style away, the substance of this flick proves to be some pretty thin gruel indeed. There was a sudden sniff of an interesting story when the Idris Elba character and his female Lieutenant starting talking about their plan for Redwood, but then that conversation may as well never have happened.

Some potentially great characters and some lovely action set ups looking for a story to hook into, really. 

I can't disagree. I think watching this after Red Notice made it seem a masterpiece. Fuck, The Room would get an unironic 4/5 from me if I watched it after Red Notice. 😄

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Unfortunately when you take the style away, the substance of this flick proves to be some pretty thin gruel indeed. There was a sudden sniff of an interesting story when the Idris Elba character and his female Lieutenant starting talking about their plan for Redwood, but then that conversation may as well never have happened.

Completely agree, a real case of style over substance.

Ghostbusters Afterlife - 4/5

Yep I enjoyed this.  A fitting tribute to the original without being too schmaltzy:

Spoiler

Ok apart from the last 10 minutes.

Also very much inspired by Stranger Things almost as much as Ghostbusters, which was excellent idea by the producers particulalry with the casting of the youngest new buster who is the star of the film.

The General

4.5/5

I had never seen it until now. My main takeaway: I don't know why anyone bothered to make action movies afterwards. Here we are, nearly 100 years later, and nothing anyone is making now comes even close or has the same sheer balls.

Why docked half a point? Some of the scenes gave me genuine anxiety.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

So much to absorb here. A richly layered film with an almost unmatched sense of time and place. When watching it I wasn’t sure if it was a masterpiece or hogwash. But now I’ve had an hour or two to take it all in, I think it’s definitely a masterpiece. Tarantino does it again, coaxing career best performances from pretty much everyone. 

It’s so refreshing to see a director and cinematographer who actually know their craft and relish in telling a story with patience and skill. 

5/5

11 hours ago, denisb said:

Ghostbusters afterlife excellent fun 4/5

4 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Like a Disney+ sequel to Ghostbusters in the vein of Turner and Hooch and The Mighty Ducks: Gamechangers. Way too reverential towards the artifacts of the original.

2/5

😐

Friday (1995):

This seems to be a quite nostalgic film for certain groups of people, but after having watched the Director's Cut of it, I really have no idea why it is fairly highly rated. It's not particularly funny, not much really happens and the leads ain't all that.

Compared to other bong head duos, Ice Cube and Chris Tucker just aren't up there.

2.75/5

89 - the film about the arsenal title win decided on the last day, at fortress anfield. Against the backdrop of the aftermath of Hillsbrough. Features talking heads from a lot of the Arsenal players. Not so much from Liverpool.

4/5

ian wright REALLY misses his friend.