IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Leon

Why I have I left it so long to rewatch this? Quite simply one of the best films of the 90s this is pure cinema with a star and director at the absolute top of their game. The plot, script, cinematography, score, cast, editing and production design are all beyond perfection. 

For the few who don’t know, it’s the tale of an assassin and the young girl who he ends up caring for. Besson is one of my favourite directors and this is his magnum opus. Portman needs good direction to bring out her best work and she is stunningly good in her debut. 

Flawless. 5/5

Its also a stunning 4k disc. 

Has anyone ever dared to check out his Arthur and the Invisibles movies?

The Sparks Brothers - Blu-Ray

Edgar Wright's excellent chronologically driven documentary on the Mael Brothers. Sparks have always been in my life from the 70's - so to have a major overview was great, loads I didn't know. The only thing keeping it from 4/5 is Edgar's overuse of stock archive footage especially in the first hour or so. Its a long film at 2hrs 20 minutes but it didn't drag. There is also an abundance of extra features on the Blu-ray 2 disc set, making the generic stock footage usage in the main film even more baffling. But still this a love letter to a band if ever there was one, and a well made one - its a shame Edgar didn't do the recent Zappa doc cause that was messy.

Looking forward even more to seeing "Annette"

4/5

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 4/5

Went in with low expectations (which I do with all marvel films) but this really surprised me to become one of my favourite marvel films yet. 

Like the best superhero films, a good villain can elevate it. I liked the fact he wasn't over the top and much more subtle in his belief. The fight that introduces his wife is up there with Marvel's best. 

The lead was likeable and kicked ass and the terrible comedy wasn't thrown in your face every few scenes like in previous films. 

End credits....

Spoiler

I'm interested to see if we find out where the rings are from. Banner and captain marvel seem impressed/scared by what they could be. 

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

The Sparks Brothers - Blu-Ray

Edgar Wright's excellent chronologically driven documentary on the Mael Brothers. Sparks have always been in my life from the 70's - so to have a major overview was great, loads I didn't know. The only thing keeping it from 4/5 is Edgar's overuse of stock archive footage especially in the first hour or so. Its a long film at 2hrs 20 minutes but it didn't drag. There is also an abundance of extra features on the Blu-ray 2 disc set, making the generic stock footage usage in the main film even more baffling. But still this a love letter to a band if ever there was one, and a well made one - its a shame Edgar didn't do the recent Zappa doc cause that was messy.

Looking forward even more to seeing "Annette"

4/5

I really loved Annette, very high up on my films of the year list. I only have a passing knowledge of Sparks and I’m now eager to know more, so will definitely check this out.

Eternals. 

It's not like any other MCU film. And I thought it was weirdly fantastic.

The end didn't decend into a big CGI fight with spandex heros beating the shit out of some world ending evil baddie.

There was a moral dilemma at the heart of this that's just not there with any other marvel film and I found it refreshing and engaging. 

I cared about the team, even Angelina sneering through every scene didn't detract from the end result. Maybe I'm just getting old but I loved this. 

The only missed opportunity was the bad guys getting a voice didn't really go anywhere and ment nothing at the end. 

4.5 fingers out of 5

Home Sweet Home Alone (Disney +)

This has reviewed pretty terribly, and after watching the film I decided I skim through a few. The general consensus is 'why'? Why make this now. I strongly disagree. Home Alone is a strong concept for a film and update it with some more modern traps and comedy - the potential for drones, alexas etc - then why not? 

First of all, my kids (9 and 6) both loved it. They are clearly the target audience rather me as a 40 year old remembering the original.

Secondly...it's OK. The cast is surprisingly good. Archie Yates (JoJo Rabbit) does a good job as the kid left alone, and Rob Delaney (Catastrophe) and Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) do a nice slapstick routine. There are also a number nice cameos, probably too many as some of them just turn up and have nothing to do. Chris Parnell, for example. The Dean from Community is also in it (I believe he has an actual name) and he's as great as always. There's also a throwback to the original two films that just about works but also seems like an extended scene that has no relevance to this plot of the new film.

The plot is predictably silly but the setup works well enough. When the film gets into the meat of the concept it becomes weirdly sadistic just as the original did, with some proper painful looking traps. Delaney in particular does slapstick very well. The kid doesn't have the same vulnerabilities as in the original films, which does take away some of the fun since he's basically untouchable, but that would involve looking too deeply into it.

And then film does something very strange towards the end. The film shifts tone rapidly, jarringly so, almost within a few lines of dialogue and the remainder of the film feels like you are watching something completely different. I'll put it in spoilers for those of you who are protective about Home Alone lore;

Spoiler

Suddenly the kid and the robbers become friends, and the families become friends and everybody becomes friends. There's absolutely zero comeuppance for the robbery. Not that I expect all kids films to have an important message in them, but it seemed weird to have everybody let off the hook!

When the film ended my kids shouted that they thought it was a great film, so that's all I can ask.  They didn't pickup on the weird ending but loved seeing adults get hurt. They loved the first two films as well.

From a kids perspective: 4/5

From an adult perspective: 2/5

Red Notice

Watched this with my youngest boy (12) and he loved it. Personally I was facepalming through most of the movie but in its defence there were some passable jokes and some good action scenes but everything felt so 'by the numbers'. It felt more like a video game script than a movie script, they were swapping locations every 10-15 minutes and each location felt like a level in a video game with a specific goal or task to be solved. 

I think the worst bit about the movie was the blatant product placement, especially Ryan Reynolds' own brand of gin. 

My 12 year old rated it 4/5, personally I'm willing to give it a 2 because it did make me chuckle a couple of times. 

I did laugh at them ripping the piss out of Hollywood action scenes, with Sabotage plastered over the top of them. 

Some of the worst continuity I've seen in a recent big budget movie, outside of Whedon's Justice League reshoots. 

Reynolds' hair and weight fluctuate in one scene from untidy and thin to groomed and buff, in nearly ever other shot. 

And watch how that gin bottle magically moves itself. 

Dwayne Johnson just isn't even trying anymore. 

Assault on Precinct 13

Meh. I’m sure this has a few ardent fans on the forum, but it left me cold. I had no empathy for any of the characters and it wasn’t at all exciting. It’s certainly nowhere near peak Carpenter. I’d put it about the same level as Vampires and that’s mainly for the amazing score and sound editing. The criminal held up in precinct looked about as threatening as Rupert Bear.

The rest of the cast were okay considering what little they had to work with. 

2/5

Free Guy (2021)

Imagine the scene, some writers are having a "what if..." brainstorming session, throwing around daft ideas, then they actually go and make a film based on one of the rejected ones. That's Free Guy. That's not to say there were no good ideas here, it's just most of them were in the background detail than the story which couldn't quite make its mind up if it wanted to be. One minute it's a CGI-drenched feel-good blockbuster, the next it's trying to tackle whether AI can actually be counted as "existing", in a pop-SF sort of way, and then attempt something deeper about being stuck in a routine and being free. At least it appeared to be written by people who actually play games, even if it still made me feel embarrassed gaming was a hobby of mine. About 90% of your enjoyment of this film will depend on how much you enjoy Ryan Reynolds and his garrulous charm. Mind you the highlight for me was Taika Waititi who genuinely made me laugh. Okay it's good fun if you just let it wash over you, but it's attempt at a message felt a bit flat to me.

2.5/5

Convoy (1978)

The last time I saw this was in the 80s, late-night ITV. Two things I didn't know: firstly I thought the song by CW McCall was the title tune from the film, when in fact the film is based on the hit country record; secondly this was Sam Peckinpah's penultimate film. Initially it's sort of similar to the previous year's Smokey And The Bandit as you have a loveable rogue truck driver vs useless but tenacious cop, but as the convoy grows everyone has a different interpretation of what it represents, and the guy who started it, played by Kris Kristofferson just wants to take it all the way. You only get glimpses of Peckinpah coming through what is generally average at best.

3/5

8 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

I did laugh at them ripping the piss out of Hollywood action scenes, with Sabotage plastered over the top of them. 

Some of the worst continuity I've seen in a recent big budget movie, outside of Whedon's Justice League reshoots. 

Reynolds' hair and weight fluctuate in one scene from untidy and thin to groomed and buff, in nearly ever other shot. 

And watch how that gin bottle magically moves itself. 

Dwayne Johnson just isn't even trying anymore. 

Worst continuity I've seen in forever.

Jurassic Park joke was funny 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

What’s this and where can I watch it? I’d love to know if there’s anything new said.

iPlayer, it's very good. Some of the interviewees open up a lot more to Nick Broomfield now that Suge Knight is in prison for the rest of his life.

No Time To Die - 3/5. It's fine.

Surge - Netflix 

Ben Wishaw playing a mentally unstable man descending into an enormous breakdown. It’s an uncomfortable watch in both Wishaw’s tremendous acting and in the way it’s shot. Super close up, extra shaky-cam gives it a very claustrophobic and intimate feel. Echoes of Falling Down, Good Time, Joker, the classic ‘man in a city’ films of the 70s. I was surprised at the fairly muted critical reception. Lots of complaints about it being pointless but god damn, the entire film is the point.

A solid 4/5 on the Windometer.

Edit - definitely not going to be for everyone, mind. Especially that camerawork.

4 hours ago, Mikes said:

Shadow in the Cloud (2020)

Holy moly! So, so good! I'm a sucker for a well-done film based mostly in a single location and you don't get more singular than a WW2 gun turret. And the soundtrack!

FEXNk3HUUAIrE2j?format=jpg&name=small

Hmmmm….I completely disregarded this on the basis of a horrible ad banner on Prime. Looked terrible from the mini-trailer too.