IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

The Trip - Netflix 

Norwegian movie with Noomi Rapace directed by him what did Dead Snow. 

If you like your comedy black and Gorey then I highly recommend this. 

A couple in marital strife head to their cabin for a weekend. Shit goes places. 

Not saying anything else but I loved this 

4/5 cos the signposting is a bit on the nose and it could do with a smidge more budget but me and the better half laughed out loud and would recommend it. 

Halloween Kills. Objectively awful, but maybe because of low expectations I really liked it! A roller-coaster of absolute bunk, its one of the oddest mainstream releases of recent years. Terrible in a properly cult-y way. 

26 minutes ago, cassidy said:

The Trip - Netflix 

Norwegian movie with Noomi Rapace directed by what did Dead Snow. 

If you like your comedy black and Gordy then I highly recommend this. 

4/5 cos the signposting is a bit on the nose and it could do with a smidge more budget but me and the better half laughed out loud and would recommend it. 

Well that’s my nights viewing sorted. 

Phantom 

I was really enjoying this submarine movie, then the last 5 minutes happened. One of the oddest ends to a film I’ve ever seen. Just bizarre.

2.5/5

Without Remorse

I don’t think the forum warmed to this much. I thought it was good, if a little poorer towards the finale. A great cast is used well, although once a certain actor appeared I had no doubts who the antagonist would be. Some well shot action 

3.5/5

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo 

Utterly spellbinding and perfect film making, hard to believe it was made for tv. Rapace is beyond perfect as Lisbeth and the rest of the cast are, without exception, brilliant. If this passed you by then hunt it down. I’m also a huge fan of the remake, but it’s a different beast and doesn’t feel as authentic to the source material. 

5/5

Homewrecker. 

Apparently everyone hates this. I loved it, it’s camp and bonkers and it’s less than 80 minutes long. Since watching it I haven’t been able to get Lisa Loeb out of my head. 

4/5

Plague

Micro budget Aussie zombie flick which I found effective and it’s telling that this does a better job of feeling like a lived in zombie world than The Walking Dead. 

not perfect but always interesting.

3.5/5

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

The Trip - Netflix 

Norwegian movie with Noomi Rapace directed by him what did Dead Snow. 

If you like your comedy black and Gordy then I highly recommend this. 

Thanks for this, just watched it - terrific film! 4/5

Spoiler

There's some absolutely splendid gore, but with all that happens for some reason the fish hooks is what made me wince the most! :lol:

True Romance

Been a very long time indeed since watching this last; apart from the two leads I forgot who was in it!  OMG what a cast.  And what a movie.  An all-time fave now.

An easy 5.  I’m slightly gobsmacked.

(The 4K disc version mastering is very nicely done.  Watched the director’s cut version which is a couple of minutes longer - I can imagine what was cut but will look it up.  Assuming I’m right I’ll perhaps prefer the theatrical cut.)

5 hours ago, PK said:

Thanks for this, just watched it - terrific film! 4/5

Hide contents

There's some absolutely splendid gore, but with all that happens for some reason the fish hooks is what made me wince the most! :lol:

Spoiler

I was disappointed with Roy's death as well, as I thought we were going to get a practical FX shotgun to the head. But guess that may have been a bit much for Netflix 

Free Guy 2.5/5

Not sure what I was expecting. I wanted to watch something light and that it was. It's just big and dumb without much of interest going on. Of course Ryan Reynolds somehow gets away with this kind of thing without being annoying and I love Jodie Comer so not all bad.

The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring 5/5

I only actually saw this once back when it was released so I felt it would be good to rewatch it. It's just such a good movie! It's got everything: drama, comedy, action, actual character development. And it flows so well, which is incredible considering the length. I'll definitely watch the other parts as well if I have a spare 8 hours somewhere.

Spectre 4/5

After watching No Time to Die I realized I hadn't seen this yet. I skipped it because of the negative vibes around it. Not sure what happened there because I loved it. It's a proper bond movie and leads nicely into NTtD. Craig is great as bond and Blofeld is good villain, much better than Rami Malek I thought. Special mention goes to the big explosions in the film that really gave my subwoofer a work out, my neighbors probably thought the house was coming down :lol:.

King of New York 3.5/5

90's crime movie with Christopher Walken. I thought this was pretty good, mostly because watching Christopher Walken being Christopher Walken is always entertaining.

Inuyashiki 3.5/5

A salary man sees a strange light in a park and wakes to find himself being changed into a cyborg (or android?). There was also highschool student in the park who had the same experience. Salary man uses his power for good, highschool student for killing. Some aspects of it weren't very convincing, especially the motivations of the highschool student and the way the salary man is treated by his family was way over the top but overall it was fun to watch with some impressive special effects.

Deadwood the Movie 5/5

It's Deadwood, you motherfucking cocksuckers! :lol: 

Star Wars : The Rise of Skywalker - 2/5

Second time seeing it. Not much I can say that hasn't been covered by nerds online. It's worse on a repeat viewing. Although it was nice to spot Jodie Cormer in a two second scene as Reys maw. 

Avengers Endgame : 3.5/5

Still fun on repeat viewing.

Old - 2/5

Old hat more like. Decent idea in there somewhere but around ten minutes before the end it’s like M. Night remembered films have to end, rushed a finale but forgot finales are better when they are satisfying.

Joe Bell - 3/5 (aka Good Joe Bell)

Pure melodrama led by Mark Wahlberg doing actual acting! He plays a father walking across America to raise awareness for his bullied son.

On another day I’d probably be far more cynical about it but actually found it quite affecting. Not knowing the full story helped. Nothing amazing but passed an hour and a half without ever outstaying it’s welcome.

8 Bit Christmas - 2/5

A weird one. Neil Patrick Harris plays a dad telling his daughter about the time he really wanted an NES. Cue a loose 80s flashback and kids all trying to get a NES.

Tonally it sort of worked as much as it didn’t, not helped by NPH sounding like he only read about what a NES is the same morning he did his scenes.

All feels very TV movie, and like missed potential. Inoffensive but bland with it.

(all screeners although think Old is on PVOD now)

V/H/S/94 - 2/5 (Shudder)

The positive and negative of anthology films is their good moments are undermined by the weaker points. Plenty of gore and some smart ideas in a couple of the shorts, but the wraparound is guff leaving an unbalanced feel to the whole.

Perfectly fine Halloween fare if nothing more.

Seance - 2/5 (Shudder)

A smart enough rehash of an age-old idea but one executed with such low energy that the 90-minute runtime drags long before the drawn out conclusion.

Lamb

Another of my most wanted films. Icelandic farming couple, tend sheep. Sheep gives birth to a lamb/human hybrid one day. Couple accept it as their child.

Very, very odd film in that I felt it could go one of a thousand ways but plays it relatively straight.

Wonderful scenes interspersed with absolute stone cold dull.

At a loss whether I think its brilliant or all just a bit shit.

Do not watch the trailer.

3/5

1 hour ago, Dark Soldier said:

Lamb

Another of my most wanted films. Icelandic farming couple, tend sheep. Sheep gives birth to a lamb/human hybrid one day. Couple accept it as their child.

Very, very odd film in that I felt it could go one of a thousand ways but plays it relatively straight.

Wonderful scenes interspersed with absolute stone cold dull.

At a loss whether I think its brilliant or all just a bit shit.

Do not watch the trailer.

3/5

https://letterboxd.com/goodjobliz/film/lamb-2021/

Office Killer : A sort of slasher movie, where the lead character (brilliantly portrayed by Carol Kane) goes a bit loopy after being forced to work form home in her journalism job. Some decent special effects, if you liked Voices it feels like this may have had some influence (or whatever influenced this film did). It's shot really well, and moves at a decent pace. Main criticism would be that it doesn't really build any tension. 3.5/5

23 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Not on letterboxd so can't view it!

You don't need to log in to see that page!

Click it again, and you'll be able to read what I thought was a pretty in-depth and insightful review of the film. :eyebrows:

Bull - 3/5

British revenge thriller with Neil Maskell (Kill List) on terrifying form. I really, really wanted to like this more, but felt a little flummoxed by the finale.

The Birthday Cake - 2/5

Mediocre crime drama with cameos from Ewan McGregor, William Fitchner, plus Val Kilmer with a borderline hilarious turn as a mob boss with no voice box. Yup.

Dune

My absolute wet dream of an epic space opera sci-fi film. I loved it. Fabulous. Gorgeous. Stunning visuals. 

4.5 litres of water of 5

Bond - no time to die

Meh. Something about covid killing everyone I think. I mean it rattled along not making much sense and looked OK, but... Meh.  But Bond is supposed to be madly in love with a women half his age? I just couldn't get passed that bit I'm afraid. 

3 hours of my life I could have been watching Dune again out of 5

Dune - Won't repeat what others have said as I agree with most of it, my main problem is that I couldn't watch all of the desert stuff without thinking about how i'd rather be watching Fury Road. Especially with the sandstorm scene which is astounding in Fury Road (especially on the black & chrome version) and just felt a bit weak here. 4/5