Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

9 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Titane is the most wonderful, incredible film I've seen in years. Ducournau has such confidence in her vision and is fast becoming my favourite filmmaker.

It, also, is not the film I expected. However, like Raw, it has flashes of the horrific, but I wouldn't label it as horror.

Agathe Rouselle is electric as the lead.

5/5

I watched this tonight, and would also give it 5/5. I had absolutely no idea where the film was going, which is such a rarity these days, and loved where it ended up. Need to watch it again as it’s a film that the more I think about it, the more I love it.

One thing I didn’t notice was that apparently Garance Marillier’s character has the same name as she had in Raw, so that we could be looking at a Ducournau cinematic universe.

No Time to Die

I'm surprised that the Craig era Bond films turned into one long story, so if you're not reasonably familiar with previous films (you could probably skip Quantum of Solace but the others are pretty much required) then a lot of the story will be baffling, possibly as much as the timeline for Rami Malek's character but movie logic eh.

I do feel that they should have let younger people write these films who were perhaps a little less enamored of the pun-filled gadgetry of the older films, gadgetry that has gradually become divorced from actual reality (I mean, developing a LiDAR that can go around solid objects in 3D *and* return to its emitter? That's not indistinguishable-from-magic levels of advanced technology so much as just plain fucking magic), but such is life.

Still, I enjoyed it and it finishes off Craig's Bond in a suitably big way. I might even rewatch it in IMAX but next up is Dune.

3/5

3 Best picture winners I hadn't seen....

West Side Story

Great songs, but the rest of the film fell flat for me. It was a mediocre film and had none of the life that imbued every scene of The Sound of Music. 

2/5

Nomadland

I was hoping to be surprised by this but I got exactly what I was expecting - an expertly crafted movie that really wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'm simply not the target for this sort of thing - shame as its so well made and I totally get the plaudits. Strathairn was brilliant.

3/5

Driving Miss Daisy

I enjoyed this a lot. It really doesn't put a foot wrong. 3 amazing performances from the 3 leads. Zimmer's score is great and a nice departure from his usual stuff. I was totally surprise by how good this was. The saccharine was dialed up to 11 but sometimes I don't mind that at all.

5/5

On 20/10/2021 at 01:31, Bazjam said:

I watched this tonight, and would also give it 5/5. I had absolutely no idea where the film was going, which is such a rarity these days, and loved where it ended up. Need to watch it again as it’s a film that the more I think about it, the more I love it.

One thing I didn’t notice was that apparently Garance Marillier’s character has the same name as she had in Raw, so that we could be looking at a Ducournau cinematic universe.

Ooh this is from the Raw director, excellent I love that film!

3 hours ago, sandman said:

3 Best picture winners I hadn't seen....

West Side Story

Great songs, but the rest of the film fell flat for me. It was a mediocre film and had none of the life that imbued every scene of The Sound of Music. 

2/5

Ban request.

The Last Duel - 4/5

Ridley Scott's latest and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The same story detailing the events leading up to the titualar duel, but told from the differing perspectives of each of the 3 protagonists.  Looks absolutely stunning as well.  Well worthy of your time.

4 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Probably just dry hump you in that case. Now let’s stop stinking up the thread 😂

Ok but I'm ain't forgetting you owe me a dry hump.  🐩

Currently watching some Vampire shit on Netflix,  Night Teeth. Don't bother 1 out of 5. 

Anyway... 

Back on track lol

Halloween (1970 something) 2/5

I'd convinced myself I'd seen this before, but upon watching it on Netflix I don't remember any of it, but it makes me wonder if it just isn't a memorable film. A simple slasher fest with some real slow kills and gore. Dr Loomis is by far the best casting in the film, you can feel his frustration. Great music though. 

Halloween 2 (Sometime after the first one) 3/5

I went into this expecting to be disappointed, but I enjoyed this more than the first, mainly because they've fleshed the story out a bit more. One of the kills in particular did make me cringe which is always good, but this is off set by some real LOL moments, I did like the fact it runs straight off the back of the first. 

Just now, cassidy said:

@Arn X Treme You know Halloween is literally the first slasher film. It invented the genre (unless you consider peeping tom or psycho the first of course) 

Steadicam didn't even exist until that movie.  Glad you recognised the brilliance of the music mind. 

I thought it was one of the Christmas or Slumber Party movies did it first, my apologies that's a bit of a problem watching things years later on it can become a bit of a blur. 

Carpenter's music is just ace in lots of his films, I really like the music for The Fog.

Annoyingly I can't seem to get Halloween 3 to come up on Netflix so maybe have to rent it over at Prime. 

Pig

Hmm. I really wanted to love it. I think I respected it more than I liked it. Nic Cage was great and I think it’s a gutsy screenplay, but it was a bit too gastrobatory and dare I say ultimately dull.

Only two and a half bacon rashers for me.

Plughead Rewired: Circuitry Man 2 (1994)

Most of the cast are back for more quirky cyberpunk noir SF gubbins, albeit in a sequel that is more about the various character's journeys than anything approaching a complex plot. They're all after Vernon Wells' Plughead for various reasons. It'll be of absolutely no interest to anyone who hasn't seen the first one, and your enjoyment will depend on how much you enjoyed that. The tone is largely the same, that is to say outlandish characters in a post-apocalyptic world, off-beat humour, bit of action. Not really that essential, even if you've seen the first, but no less entertaining in parts.

3/5

Halloween Kills - Was Michael Myers sent from the future to kill the John Connor's mother? This was more of a Terminator film than the last Terminator film. Was it supposed to be scary? Only emotion it elicited from me was anger. Most protagonists in slasher films are stupid, it goes without saying that instead of running they will go looking for the killer and invariably get themselves killed. But the people in this film took it to another level.  

2/5

Django Unchained 4.5/5

Inglorious Basterds 4/5

Tarantino double bill last night and tonight. First Tarantino experience for the kids (13 and 15) and they loved it. Christoph Waltz was just utterly superb in both movies. (We laughed a lot as I paused on the exact frame of the DiCaprio meme which of course they had no idea was from Django.)

Tarantino can be a bit hit and miss but when on form he’s a master. He somehow manages to bring out that teenage feeling  love of film in me.  I’ll stop stating the bleeding obvious now. 

The World Is Not Enough (1999)

This really is a slack entry in the Bond series, a plot not worth following, disjointed action, Robert Carlyle's Renard is probably the least engaging Bond villain ever. Yes he does some evil stuff but it lacks the spark of others, he passes through without touching the sides. Sophie Marceau's Elektra King isn't much better. Sub-based finale couldn't make up for the snore-fest that came before it.  At least Brosnan was consistent to his performance as Bond so far. Minor nods to previous Bond films, nowhere near as much as the previous couple yet there wasn't enough new to describe it as a clean break. Desmond Llewellyn's last Bond film, he went out with a decent amount of respect. Poor show all round.

2.5/5