IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Voyagers - 3.5/5

A generation ship heading a group of young adults on a 86 year voyage to find a new home for humanity, encounters problems when the passengers realise they are being drugged to supress their shall we say baser emotions.  Basically Lord of the Flies in space, and entirely watchable because of it, as Lord of the Flies is such a great idea in the first place.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Phantasm 2 - 4

I feel like I've lost touch with horror the last decade or so. My ex hated them and refused to watch any. Plus I was always a casual fan of the genre at best so just drifted away. I used to like watching an old favourite around Halloween but that was about it.

My plan to fix this is get Shudder and watch at least one horror film a day for the rest of October. It had to start for me with Phantasm 2. One of my absolute favourite horror films which I haven't seen in probably 20 years. The tall man, the spheres, 4 barrelled shotguns, a bunch of nods to Sam Raimi. Total cheese but a fun start and got me in the mood for this. 

Want to try and do a mix of classics I've seen plus some I may have missed. Also some more recent films. I'm not very good at reviews but noting them down here will keep me motivated. Looking forward to this. A recent one up next.

I remember as a kid my grandad taking me to see the Special Edition of Close Encounters at Lyme Regis cinema, and for some reason they showed a trailer for Phantasm.

I was practically struck dumb with terror by the end of the trailer, while my grandad simply observed ‘what a load of crap!’

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I remember as a kid my grandad taking me to see the Special Edition of Close Encounters at Lyme Regis cinema, and for some reason they showed a trailer for Phantasm.

I was practically struck dumb with terror by the end of the trailer, while my grandad simply observed ‘what a load of crap!’

Funny I remember as a kid being up later than normal and seeing a few clips of Phantasm 2 being reviewed on Film 80 something with Barry Norman. I was haunted from what I saw and remember the tall man being terrifying. 

I'm pretty sure Barry's review was basically "what a load of crap".

Hehe, I’ve never seen them so I don’t know if the assessments are accurate.

Now I think about it I’m sure at the end of the trailer they said something like ‘if this doesn’t scare you, you’re already dead’, which is probably what caused my grandad to chip in!

Host - 3.5

Short at 50 minutes but uses its time very well to build the tension. Had some great scares and creepy scenes once it got going. Plus a few ridiculous funny ones. Interested to see a making off now as it was done during the lockdown and low budget. 

On 09/10/2021 at 20:41, Vimster said:

The Living Daylights (1987)

It's a strange thing that despite Bond films generally having tons of memorable moments, some that have entered into pop culture, I honestly couldn't bring to mind anything about this one. The plane fight, easily the best part of this film, did job a memory though. Dalton's Bond is a lot less suave than Moore's, he's steely and determined, the quips are delivered with a cold wit, his seduction technique seems to be almost entirely based on the looks he gives. Maryam d'Abo doesn't get to do much as the Bond girl here. It has all the elements, the action is there, it it just lacked something. The climax was anticlimactic compared to most Bond films too. Not classic Bond but entertaining enough.

3/5

Best love story in a Bond movie.

The Cabin in the Woods

Hasn’t really aged well and if you told me the annoying jock character would go on to star in the biggest films of all-time I would think you were crazy.

2/5

Poltergeist(1982)

It’s far more silly than it is scary and it just feels more like a sc-fi film than a horror one.  The effects still look pretty good though considering when it was released.

2/5

To Die For (4/5)

I'm quite partial to films that do the semi-documentary style of interviews interspersed in the main story so this was right up my street. Some good performances and an all round enjoyable black comedy. My memory might be failing me but has a similar feel to the likes of Heathers or Election (both great as well).

Intruder - no rating

Shudder was a total let down here. Its a well regarded 80 slasher I'd never seen. Shudder are showing the edited version, which they don't mention and which I didn't realise till way to late.

If you take out the gore of an 80's slasher its going to hurt it. I've gone on YouTube to fill in the blanks and its a shame as the effects are great and would have changed the viewing. Shudder boasts about being uncut so this was very annoying.

2 minutes ago, englishbob said:

The Lighthouse (now on Netflix)

Too vague to make anything of it - but great performances

2/5

A friend asked me to describe this film as all I could think of saying was it was a film that was utterly compelling to watch….once. I’m not sure I could sit through the heavy sense of dread running through that film. 

Definitely a good film….just not the easiest watch. 

Dune (1984)

Watched this with my mum and brother, who inexplicably hadn't seen it before. All of the flaws are still there: a solid first half doesn't so much segue as crash into an incredibly rushed second. The all-white cast is actually a little grotesque. The action sequences are... not Lynch's forte. Jessica in full 'damsel in distress' mode is jarring and undermines her character. The climactic downpour is too obvious a choice, made more frustrating by it being one of the (surprisingly few) outright divergences from the novel. Both relatives rated it a 7/10.

Fortunately for me, I'm extremely shallow and love the sets, costumes, paintings, effects, ideas, actors and even the voiceovers enough to override any other concerns.

5/5

Dawn of the dead remake

I kind of liked this on release and even thought it might be slightly better than the night of the living dead remake.

On a rewatch it has aged very poorly , worse than the night of the living dead remake and way worse than the original film.

just compare the passage-of-time montages! Dawn did them perfectly , a mix of desperation, loss of humanity and passion. The remake’s are tawdry, nonsensical, and fail to impart passage of time.

zombie baby! Stupid dog plot lines! People doing things for no reason! No motivation other than get to next cool bit.

it is lazy shite with a good opening (which still needs trimming!) 

2/5

id rather watch any of the 2nd dead trilogy from Romero! 

12 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I remember liking both of these, I may have to give them a rewatch. 

Night of the Living Dead remake is a great homage to the Romero original. Probably a bit too faithful but as a love letter to the original it is great. Tony Todd is fantastic as is Patricia Tallman who utterly subverts the part of Barbara brilliantly. I think it is only avaialble on IMDBTv at the moment (whatever that is I can't keep up with all the streaming options now).***

Dawn of the Dead remake is utter nonsense schlock written by a hack* and directed by a hack

*yes I know Gunn shits rainbows in some people's eyes but in this film he just shits 😛

***EDIT - apparently IMDBTv is included with amazon prime as a quick search for it on prime video showed it was free

Halloween Kills - em?/5

Is this a comedy? If so it's a solid 3/5. Got a handful of laughs from me

If it's meant to be taken as a serious horror/slasher film then it's a 1/5. 

The tone is a mess. Not seen anything like it in decades. Is it a spoof? If its trying to emulate 70s and 80s slasher films then they missed every beat and were clueless. Every single thing about it is atrocious Only decent thing was John Carpenters score. 

Laughably bad.